BajaNomad

La Gringa

Joni - 11-17-2015 at 08:51 AM

How is the camping situation at La Gringa nowadays?
Is Daniel still in charge and what is he charging?

larryC - 11-17-2015 at 09:01 AM

Joni,
Welcome to Nomads. La Gringa is a large place with several camp grounds. Which place in particular are you referring to? I consider everything north of the military base as La Gringa. Maybe your definition of La Gringa is different.
To answer your question in general, more than likely it is the same as when you were here before, change comes very slowly here.

24baja - 11-17-2015 at 10:16 AM

When we were down in October we were told the couple who was running the campground under the La Gringa sign were moving to Mexico City and that they had not found anyone to take over yet but were looking.

Tioloco - 11-17-2015 at 08:03 PM

We camped about a mile north of the office/ house at La Gringa earlier this year. Beautiful view of the islands. Where exactly does the "campground" end? I thought we were beyond the campground, but upon departure were asked to pay the camping fee. I think it was about $10 US. No big deal, we paid it. Just would like to know if anybody has any info.

BooJumMan - 11-17-2015 at 09:32 PM

Was only there once, and it was about 4 months after Odile. Was nice and empty, we were the only campers. Daniel collected our money and picked up our trash. There were no outhouses.

15389 - 11-20-2015 at 01:51 PM

We just left La Gringa a week ago. Daniel was removed from his place at La Gringa by the federal police from Ensenada when we were there. Something about over charging for camping. The federal police said that the shore of La Gringa is federal property and no one can charge you to camp there. If you want to pay someone for services for picking up garbage it's OK for them to charge a small fee but only if you agree to it.

BajaBlanca - 11-20-2015 at 01:56 PM

wow...that is amazing.

David K - 11-20-2015 at 02:01 PM

Thanks for the update!

motoged - 11-20-2015 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 15389  
......The federal police said that the shore of La Gringa is federal property and no one can charge you to camp there. ....

So, does that mean that all shoreline in Mexico is available for free camping?

woody with a view - 11-20-2015 at 02:32 PM

i think it is public access. someone running a business in the zone would need the proper paperwork-concession.

mojo_norte - 11-20-2015 at 03:32 PM

I was camped there about 6 years ago - the fat guy ( the guy before Alfredo) was collecting $5 camp fee. The Park Rangers came by and told us not to pay him and that we were supposed to get a camping permit from them town - that was $7 / day.