BajaNomad

Fatality during the Baja 1000.

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 10:57 AM

Mango Racing statement on the ACCIDENT.

In respect to our fallen teammate, his family, those involved, and our grieving team members, Mango Racing has tried to keep our Baja 1,000 experience to ourselves for a few days. Sadly the desert wasn't too kind to us this year. We lost a great man to an accident in the silt during the race. One of our co-drivers, Monty Droogsma, was hit by another race vehicle in attempt to dig our truck out of the silt. Silt can be extremely blinding to drivers and people on the ground alike. All safety precautions were taken, but unfortunately accidents can ALWAYS happen. Monty, may your body rest in peace and your soul wander freely. You will be missed dearly.

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 11:02 AM

Race mile 436.

woody with a view - 11-24-2015 at 11:11 AM

poor guy!

RIP!

motoged - 11-24-2015 at 11:28 AM

Heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

Was that fire related to the accident?

Udo - 11-24-2015 at 11:32 AM

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

Was that fire related to the accident?

I do not believe so. Apparently they (TT spec truck) got stuck in the silt and the co-driver got out to help get it unstuck. Another truck, being blind from the dust, hit him.

Always one of our worst nightmares.

surprised some of the nomads did not say anything as they were apparently only a few miles away.

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by rts551]

BajaBlanca - 11-24-2015 at 12:57 PM

RIP

elgatoloco - 11-24-2015 at 01:01 PM

RIP

BajaGeoff - 11-24-2015 at 01:30 PM

This is very sad. I remember there was some talk about having sensors on all of the race vehicles that would alert drivers when they are coming up on another stalled/stuck racer. Not sure if that technology exists yet but it sure would help to prevent this sort of thing in the future. RIP Monty...

chippy - 11-24-2015 at 02:04 PM

So what the general consensus.......... Is racing worth dying for?

I feel for his family.

willardguy - 11-24-2015 at 02:13 PM

lets don't forget the other poor fellow that was just trying to maintain speed in that blinding chit!

StuckSucks - 11-24-2015 at 02:31 PM

This explains a lot.

We were at RM435 and woke up in the morning with a Mango truck parked in front of ours. The driver was talking to someone on the radio, sobbing. Clearly, something bad had happened, but we didn't know specifics.

What happened really stinks, but everyone out there, drivers and crew, are all aware of the risks - we do our best to make sure everyone gets home safe. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2015 at 03:19 PM

RIP

BornFisher - 11-24-2015 at 05:10 PM

Very sad news to hear. Condolences to the family and community.

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 05:26 PM

A police car passed me heading North from Rosalillita area that had lights on hauling butt towards this area. I'm guessing this is where he was going. Sad.

A view of life, and death - edited with apology to Chippy

John M - 11-24-2015 at 06:17 PM

It was asked by Chippy:

So what the general consensus.......... Is racing worth dying for?

I feel sadness for his family.

Compassion must not be your strong suit, Chippy. Do you ask this when a tragic death occurs at NASCAR, or as you pass a fatal accident on the freeway? Is driving anywhere and at any time worth dying for?

Risks are what we take when we enter events in which we cannot control things occurring around us. May he rest in peace, and may the graces of God be with the team that hit him.

Edited to say that I was too quick to remark about Chippy's comment lacking compassion - I apologize to Chippy for that, especially since I don't know him/her and I should not have made that judgement. John M

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by John M]

mtgoat666 - 11-24-2015 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Mango Racing statement on the ACCIDENT.

One of our co-drivers, Monty Droogsma, was hit by another race vehicle in attempt to dig our truck out of the silt. Silt can be extremely blinding to drivers and people on the ground alike. All safety precautions were taken, but unfortunately accidents can ALWAYS happen.

All car accidents are preventable. Racers should be able to learn from this death. Off the top of my head, solutions are... don't drive too fast for conditions, don't get out of your car in a dust cloud when vehicles are driving too fast and blinded by dust,

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2015 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

All car accidents are preventable.

You haven't watched YouTube lately!:lol:

bajadogs - 11-24-2015 at 11:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

All car accidents are preventable.

You haven't watched YouTube lately!:lol:

:no::no:

David K - 11-24-2015 at 11:05 PM

I would prefer to go (die) doing the thing I loved... instead of any other way.

mtgoat666 - 11-24-2015 at 11:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

That's a ridiculous sentiment!

I I love drinking beer. But that Does not mean I want to die from drinking beer!

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2015 at 11:45 PM

I I love drinking beer. But that Does not mean I want to die from drinking beer!

Different strokes for different folks!

Ateo - 11-25-2015 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Sad to see this weird detour on a very sober subject.

Exactamente.

cocomo - 11-25-2015 at 08:15 AM

My condolences to Monty and his family, his team, his friends.

rts551 - 11-25-2015 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

Exactamente.

Its NOMINDS. Its to be expected.

David K - 11-25-2015 at 11:26 AM

I don't 'love' drinking... but I do love exploring, camping, and off-roading in Baja. Better to die doing that, than most anything else.

bajabuddha - 11-25-2015 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

Exactamente.

Its NOMINDS. Its to be expected.

I don't 'love' drinking... but I do love exploring, camping, and off-roading in Baja. Better to die doing that, than most anything else.

A MAN IS DEAD.

Sad how some people have to make the issue all about themselves. You both should be ashamed of yourselves, but I know neither of you are capable of it.

Chew on that for a while. :mad: