BajaNomad

What is it about Marines?

BajaBill74 - 11-30-2015 at 01:33 PM

Today a retired Marine was arrested for crossing into Mexico a Ciudad Acuna for carrying weapons. He was going to a deer lease which is private property about 70 miles from the border. (near Rocksprings TX.) He made a "wrong turn" and entered Mexico by accident with his guns.

This sounds like Andrew Tahmooressi entering Tijuana about a year ago. Do the Marines have a qualification that your IQ must below a certain point? A 70 mile wrong turn?:lol:

motoged - 11-30-2015 at 01:36 PM

Nope.....just the indoctrination that you have a right to carry whatever kind of gun whenever and wherever you want.... :no:

Howard - 11-30-2015 at 02:15 PM

Eye doesn't gnow wat da IQ hass too bee butt thay token mee sew itch much bee veery lowe too geten in.

Seriously, the bottom line is that some people, jar heads or not feel bullet proof when they get back from war. I have no idea of his deployment and have no idea what this knuckleheads story is and APPEARS to be guilty as sin but lets not forget, war does funny things to the brain. Most get over it but some don't. In no way I'm I making excuses for him.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 11-30-2015 at 02:40 PM

as a veteran, let's thank him for his service to keep this country great and not belittle him.

if this was a guided hunt, which it sounds like, one would think that the hunting service would have provided EXPLICIT instructions on how weapons should be handled.

not everybody is aware of the laws of mexico regarding guns.

when i cross the border at san ysidro and tecate, there are signs that are very hard to miss stating no guns or ammunition is allowed.

i'm not sure if those disclosures are posted where he crossed.

hopefully, the hunting service will come to his aid and have him released.

oops...after rereading the initial post, the deer service was in texas, not mexico. nonetheless, we should not downgrade our service people.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

chippy - 11-30-2015 at 02:43 PM

I`ve crossed at the Del Rio Texas/Ciudad Acuņa many times. I don`t know how anyone could not know you are on your way to Mexico. I mean you cross the Rio Grande/Bravo bridge for one, then there all those signs about the INTERNATIONAL border. Agent orange??

motoged - 11-30-2015 at 03:38 PM

A staggering number of US citizens attempt to cross into Canada from the USA every year with declared and/or undeclared firearms.

So....it isn't a "Mexico thing"..... and as some of those caught with guns coming north, might have a military background, others caught do not.

BUT, they all have a belief that carrying guns is a god-given right (or some such NRA logic)....and I believe THAT is the issue/problem here.

I respect those who have and do serve in armed forces protecting our countries.....so, I don't have a problem with military service.....

I haven't watched tv news yet today, so I haven't seen the latest whacko killing/mass shooting in the States ....but I anticipate one around the corner after the latest Planned Parenthood tragedy... :(

pauldavidmena - 11-30-2015 at 03:43 PM

According to this news article, the retired Marine, Jeromie Slaughter, has been released. I'm still trying to find independent confirmation.

[Edited on 11-30-2015 by pauldavidmena]

pauldavidmena - 11-30-2015 at 04:04 PM

There's also this article, with slightly different text but the same fortunate result.

Ateo - 11-30-2015 at 04:25 PM

Get ready for some GIFS.

alacran - 11-30-2015 at 05:37 PM

I am an ARMY vet, in order to serve we had to know how to read and use common sense.

BeemerDan - 11-30-2015 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
A staggering number of US citizens attempt to cross into Canada from the USA every year with declared and/or undeclared firearms.

So....it isn't a "Mexico thing"..... and as some of those caught with guns coming north, might have a military background, others caught do not.

BUT, they all have a belief that carrying guns is a god-given right (or some such NRA logic)....and I believe THAT is the issue/problem here.

Ged.
You've never respected anyone from the USA, You treat people from the US with nothing but contempt.
Just a thought.
Ship your bike.
Fly, and avoid all your fears

I respect those who have and do serve in armed forces protecting our countries.....so, I don't have a problem with military service.....

I haven't watched tv news yet today, so I haven't seen the latest whacko killing/mass shooting in the States ....but I anticipate one around the corner after the latest Planned Parenthood tragedy... :(

BornFisher - 11-30-2015 at 10:12 PM

Maybe people down here think they have a God-given right to protect themselves and families.

motoged - 11-30-2015 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

Ged.
You've never respected anyone from the USA, You treat people from the US with nothing but contempt.
Just a thought.
Ship your bike.
Fly, and avoid all your fears

Dan,
That is not true. I have enough American friends to disprove your assumption.

You don't know me or how I treat people from the USA.

I am not afraid of the US and have no need to fly over it, nor ship my bike any where other than to different continents.

It is true that I think your country has some problems with its attitude to guns. Funny thing is that a lot of your countrymen also share that belief.

I don't mind the flaming for some of my views...bullying won't change my ability to express my opinions.

Some of my American friends are from your state and have been made through beemer riding over the years....the majority of them share my views about the gun problems in your country...

Canada has its share of criminal gun violence...as well as those who are indignant about the notion of gun control....

My comments are not anti-American....they are anti its prevalent gun attitude.

[Edited on 12-1-2015 by motoged]

BeemerDan - 11-30-2015 at 11:21 PM

I'll grant you your views, and I acknowlege them.
I bet you and your liberal friends don't know this little fact about my state.
Its called a "Shall Issue State"
That means anyone who's "not" a convicted felon can carry a firearm concealed. Granted with a permit of course.
Does it bother you if you don't know who's armed or not:light:
I travel up to Canada all the time, and am asked the same ? Any firearms? No of course not. I know the law.
Per Capita you have just as many nutcsaes.
Just sayin.

chuckie - 12-1-2015 at 07:38 AM

Every year, I am one of those Americans that contribute to the "staggering numbers" of firearms going into Canada. We seem to be welcomed because we contribute a "staggering amount" of money to the Canadian economy. We are called "hunters". Taking guns into Canada is as easy as filling out a form in advance, stopping at the RCMP post at the border, and going on your way.....Not much subversive about that...eh?

Ricardo - 12-1-2015 at 07:40 AM

Per Capita the US has 7 times more gun homicides than Canada (approx.)

TMW - 12-1-2015 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ricardo  
Per Capita the US has 7 times more gun homicides than Canada (approx.)

Is it because it's gang related? Chicago has some pretty tough gun laws but the highest or near the highest murder rate using guns.

pacificobob - 12-1-2015 at 08:11 AM

before being drafted and going to vietnam, i had no idea that people that stupid existed. i was shocked. ....oh, and please don't thank me for my service. i have never regretted anything as much as that.

Whale-ista - 12-1-2015 at 11:37 AM

Saw the post title and thought this would be a discussion of the good attributes of those who serve, or have served, and put themselves in harm's way- but I'm biased: my dad was a career Marine. He participated in the Marshall Plan reconstruction, Korea combat tour, Bay of Pigs...

Being one of the "first to fight" is not an easy choice, and all Marines are there by choice- no one is ever drafted into the Corps.

Then I read the posts and realized not all share my positive "bias."

As for the subject of the original post: I wish him well, and success in his future hunting trips.

motoged - 12-1-2015 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Every year, I am one of those Americans that contribute to the "staggering numbers" of firearms going into Canada. We seem to be welcomed because we contribute a "staggering amount" of money to the Canadian economy. We are called "hunters". Taking guns into Canada is as easy as filling out a form in advance, stopping at the RCMP post at the border, and going on your way.....Not much subversive about that...eh?

Chuckie,
I have no issues with responsible firearm management....and hope that it is folks like you and Beemerdan who demonstrate such responsible behaviour.

My issue is with the fearful notion that a person needs to be packing in order to feel safe....or the assumption of entitlement that some folks have around the need for a gun.

What made all that happen is really the question and issue.

"protecting my family"????? Really???? .... how many nomads have shot someone at home or elsewhere in self-defense (military situations aside)?

Hunters might contribute some $$$, but killing for sport doesn't appeal to me any more.....it did when I was a young feller but I grew out of that.

chuckie - 12-1-2015 at 12:01 PM

And grew into destroying the environment on an ORV. Not sure that's a step up....But....to each his own....

AKgringo - 12-1-2015 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Saw the post title and thought this would be a discussion of the good attributes of those who serve, or have served, and put themselves in harm's way- but I'm biased: my dad was a career Marine. He participated in the Marshall Plan reconstruction, Korea combat tour, Bay of Pigs...

Being one of the "first to fight" is not an easy choice, and all Marines are there by choice- no one is ever drafted into the Corps.

Then I read the posts and realized not all share my positive "bias."

As for the subject of the original post: I wish him well, and success in his future hunting trips.

I share your sentiments! As a point of fact though, at my pre-induction physical at the Oakland Army Terminal in January of 1967, we were lined up alphabetically. Last names starting with A, B, and at least part way through C went into the Marines.

One of my friends was in that group and served two years in the Corp. He was proud to serve, but his health failed prematurely, possibly from exposure to agent orange.

willardguy - 12-1-2015 at 12:54 PM

yup, throughout the late 60's the marines drafted, in los angeles they would just grab the front row,come with us!
(good to be in the second row!)

motoged - 12-1-2015 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
And grew into destroying the environment on an ORV. Not sure that's a step up....But....to each his own....

:rolleyes:

KurtG - 12-1-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

42,600 Marines were drafted during our little experiment in SE Asia. Google Vietnam Marine Corp. draft and you will find verification of that number.

Chupacabra - 12-1-2015 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  

I suppose you could also have said "what is it about men", or "what is it about Americans", or "what is it about retired people" or "what is it about gun nuts" or what is it about a plethora of other descriptors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy

bajaguy - 12-1-2015 at 01:46 PM

What about motorcycle nuts, Baja nuts, fishing nuts, surfing nuts or taco nuts???

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  

I suppose you could also have said "what is it about men", or "what is it about Americans", or "what is it about retired people" or "what is it about gun nuts" or what is it about a plethora of other descriptors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy

alacran - 12-1-2015 at 04:27 PM

All said, do not blame the gun, blame the one behind the gun.

motoged - 12-1-2015 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
All said, do not blame the gun, blame the one behind the gun.

Yep :light:

bajabuddha - 12-1-2015 at 05:06 PM

Guns don't kill people...... BULLETS kill people, and it's people who put bullets into guns to kill people. It's not about guns, but the people who own them.

Our "Right To Bear Arms" by Constitutional decree is what gave Lee Harvey Oswald the right to buy a mail-order Carcano carbine, and already having ties with the Communist Party, a Russian wife, and a known FBI-file of handing out pro-Communist Russian literature on street-corners.

THIS IS WHAT HAS TO BE ADDRESSED.

It's not a total open-shut debate, regardless of what the NRA purports, or the Constitution dictates. I have and still do own guns. I also strongly believe the NRA holds way too much sway and control of American politics, as does the tobacco industry, another mass-murderer of the populace.... unscrupulous, and money-driven. Your right to smoke? You bet your azz. Your right to hurt ME with your smoke? ....... I don't f'ing think so. Your rights stop on the end of my nose. Gun rights need to..... and must be..... re-thought, and re-established, because of the burgeoning abuses of the Constitution. Bullies abound, and are (somewhat) winning right now. It's time for a major showdown, and I don't mean at the O-K Corral.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by bajabuddha]

A new record

bajaguy - 12-2-2015 at 09:03 AM

Must be a lot more "gun nuts" out there......

185,345 background checks on November 27

http://fortune.com/2015/12/01/gun-sales-black-friday/

Cisco - 12-2-2015 at 01:13 PM

Here you go Ged.

Today's tragedy is live at this moment.

http://news.yahoo.com/san-bernadino-shooting-live-coverage-1...

What have we become?

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by Cisco]

JoeJustJoe - 12-2-2015 at 02:47 PM

Why do they mention Jeromie Slaughter, was a former Marine, and put up some old photos when he served?

So what are we suppose to do, fall all over ourselves, and demand Mexican officials release him from prison, if they have not already done so?

No I don't thank him for his service, and I don't believe the fable that goes something like this: fight them there, so we don't have to fight them here'

I can't believe anybody that actually believes that BS recruitment line.

Who cares what this guys past career was? If he made a mistake, and crossed the border with guns and his kids, he just isn't very bright.

You don't make mistakes like that with your young kids in the car. But I'm sure once the Mexican officials, figure out it was just an honest mistake, he will be released, if he hasn't already been released, as somebody already reported.

In the Tahmooressi case, it wasn't an honest mistake, and he got what he deserved.

On the bright side, a few innocent animals will live now, because this former Marine, and his sons were planning on hunting down and killing innocent defenseless animals for fun, but instead Slaughter spent his time in jail instead of killing innocent animals.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

bajabuddha - 12-2-2015 at 03:25 PM

23S52N - 12-2-2015 at 04:02 PM

Personally I think a lotta people need a hobby. But that will probably put fuel to an already futile fire. Enjoy the sun and sea and vino.

Regards,
Keith

alacran - 12-2-2015 at 06:49 PM

I was a champion trap shooter while on the Army team, I hunted a few more years, until I shot a jack rabbit, (not intended) it was not dead, I had to finish it, I felt bad to have killed an animal that I had no use for.

That was 40 yrs. Ago, I have only shot targets ever since.

I believe that only shoot for food or for protection.