BajaNomad

Koolercap, a better way to get ice longer...

MMc - 11-30-2015 at 08:52 PM

I just found these guys, I have used a blue version for years. I wish, I had thought of it. I have nothing to do with these guys, but they do work.

http://www.koolercap.com/

ehall - 12-1-2015 at 04:54 AM

Interesting theory. Wonder if it works?

MMc - 12-1-2015 at 07:24 AM

Yes, they do work. The idea is that your are not cooling the air above the pad. The air below the pad is not moving around staying cold longer. I have used this stuff for years.

Skipjack Joe - 12-1-2015 at 07:43 AM

Makes no sense to me whatsoever. No matter how effectively it covers the ice the temperature inside the chamber will eventually be the same throughout and that requires the same amount of ice to be melted. It's a law of physics. It can only delay the melting. If the icebox is reopened frequently so that equilibrium is never reached then it could preserve the ice longer.

larryC - 12-1-2015 at 07:56 AM

I have never used the koolercap, but I have done the same thing by putting a towel over the food in the cooler and it does make the ice last longer. I especially use it to keep frozen food in a cooler frozen longer. Good idea using a piece of foam instead of a towel.

dizzyspots - 12-1-2015 at 08:21 AM

$20 piece of foam or a wet towel...been using a wet towel for years..and I can use the wet towel later...nice idea but would rather have the $20

mtgoat666 - 12-1-2015 at 08:31 AM

How many calories does it take to cool the cooler-volume of air 50 degrees F? I think not many,...
I think the cooler cap is relatively inefficient window dressing.

MMc - 12-1-2015 at 09:07 AM

The idea is to put 3/4 of an inch of insulation as close to the food/ice as possible, because the foam is a little bigger than the inside of the chest there is less air circulating and melting ice. The whole idea of maintaining temperature is to reduce the air circulating that comes in contact with whatever temperature you want to maintain. Most closed cell foams work well but this stuff will compress a bit without bowing in the middle. Towels work also, their advantage is when they are wet you put them outside the chest and as they evap they will cool the chest.

Yes, keeping the chest closed is the best way to keep ice from melting. Adding insulation also helps, look at a Yeti or the other super chests.

These work. I will go south for up to 2 weeks and have ice in my chest coming home. If you don't want to spend the $20.00 don't. Stop by my camp when you want a cold one.

[Edited on 12-1-2015 by MMc]

bkbend - 12-1-2015 at 10:04 AM

I'm with Skipjack on the effectiveness, it would depend on the frequency on lid openings. If I have empty space in a cooler I add more beer or more ice to reduce the amount of empty air space.

Chupacabra - 12-1-2015 at 01:45 PM

Just use a beach towel. It's much cheaper and works just fine.