BajaNomad

HELP NEEDED in San Quintin (Tow to Border?)

David K - 12-2-2015 at 01:42 AM

I only look at Facebook pages a couple times a week, and just after midnight (Wed am) was one of those times. The message was sent Monday PM, so a day and a half old. It was sent to our book's Old Mission Facebook page. I responded that I would post on Nomad and Talk Baja Facebook. Hopefully, they have found help?

HERE IS THE MESSAGE:

Hello David,

Pamela
Sorry sent too soon, we are stuck in San Quintin with 2013 F250 Diesel Truck that we need towed back to the boarder. I was trying to reach, Antonio from Baja Cactus. Wondering if he has any reference to a towing service that would haul our truck. It's the exhaust sensor and the trucks computer will not let us drive only at a idle. We are trying to find a diagnostic reader so we can read the faulty code thats causing our problem. If you could help with any information I would appreciate it very much. Pam xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxsx Sorry, but we are stuck!!! Thank You, Pam Folgner, we are on our way home from Punta Chivato.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by David K]

BajaNomad - 12-2-2015 at 06:03 AM

There were some tow truck recommendations in another recent thread, here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80946

I see another recommendation was made in the Talk Baja post as well:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/119440843...

DENNIS - 12-2-2015 at 07:39 AM

Seems this problem could be addressed in SQ, or Ensenada, without having to be towed to the border.

BajaCactus - 12-2-2015 at 08:50 AM

David... If Pam still needs help please give her my phone number and/or contact info... Thanks.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

David K - 12-2-2015 at 09:29 AM

Thanks... I have had no other messages from her as of this morning. Again, it was a little bizarre getting a help request on the Old Missions book site on Facebook, because that isn't a place I do daily posts. In any case, I got the word out so if she was still stuck there, help is available.

Want to contact me? u2u on Nomad or email me info AT vivabaja.com is the fastest way unless you have my phone number, and I do take text messages.

Antonio, maybe email me your direct contact for emergency help, as it has been a few years since I called you on your cell? Is the USA phone number for Baja Cactus still active? I cannot call Mexico numbers from my cell phone, and no longer have a land line.

bajatrailrider - 12-2-2015 at 10:22 AM

There are only few mechanics,in baja that can work on.Late Ford diesels,legendary problems.Many Ford dealers in the U.S. have trouble fixing them.Any Mexican truck tow service can tow truck. To the border,some across border.Send me PM if you can not find tow service.Is your truck,double cab.Or single cab? Wish you luck on getting back to U.S.

DianaT - 12-2-2015 at 11:02 AM

This is the one recommended on Talk Baja ---

Gruas Salcedo in San Quintin, right next to the federal police station on the extreme south end of town
(616)165-2280, (616)177-5337

When we rescued a stranded family a few years ago, this company towed the truck and a travel trailer from El Rosario to Tijuana and were very good. Other arrangements had been made to complete the tow over the border, but we were later informed that they could have towed it over the border.

Anyone thinking about using this company, PM me about factura information if you so desire.

BTW DavidK, since she contacted you privately, do you think it is a good idea to post her personal information openly on the forum? Name, e-mail, phone etc., Don't you think these things are better handled privately?

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by DianaT]

TMW - 12-2-2015 at 11:20 AM

If it's on facebook isn't it public info. I don't do facebook so I'm not that familiar with it but I have looked at facebook of many sources.

DianaT - 12-2-2015 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If it's on facebook isn't it public info. I don't do facebook so I'm not that familiar with it but I have looked at facebook of many sources.

No, DK said it was sent by PM which means Personal Message and those are private. And she requested that someone respond by Personal Message.

If it is posted on someone's timeline, that is public depending on security settings. Facebook can be confusing at times.

But again, if it is sent by PM, no one else can see the message. Well, I guess if someone hacked the account they could.

Good question

rts551 - 12-2-2015 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

If posted on a Facebook page, it depends on the security of the page. If it is open to the public, then everyone can see it. From that point it can be secured to only friends, close friends, no one else, etc Bottom line, more security than here, but could have been wide open. All depends on ho much security David puts on his page.

I know of some people who do not pay attention and have ended up with risque pictures on their page to include nudes. Others are smart and ock down their pages to secure things from prying eyes.

tripledigitken - 12-2-2015 at 01:18 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing due to the dire straights their in she is looking for help from a wide audience. I for one am not on FB but with the email and phone number I was able to pass on some info to her.

Just my 2 cents.

DianaT - 12-2-2015 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing due to the dire straights their in she is looking for help from a wide audience. I for one am not on FB but with the email and phone number I was able to pass on some info to her.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken,
Even if you were on facebook, you would NOT have had access to the personal information. It was sent to DK by PM --- personal message which is private. And she requested that responses be by PM.

You could have obtained the information you needed to communicate by U2U to DK ---- private.

Even if you were stranded, would you want me to share your personal e-mail, full name and phone number on a public forum? Because I have all that information, I don't think it is right for me to share it randomly without permission. Anyone can see it on THIS forum.

JMHO, but it would have been far better handled by DK requesting that anyone with information contact him privately and then he could pass on the information ONLY to people he thought were okay ---- not the general public.

Sometimes people don't care and they post all of their personal information, but I believe it should be their decision ---- not the decision of someone sharing a Personal and Private message.

In fact, I think that Doug should edit the post and remove the personal information, unless the woman gives her permission.

DianaT - 12-2-2015 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Good grief. She messaged a business facebook site seeking help. Posting her contact info is the ONLY way to get her help. Maybe she should have come here instead, but she didn't. Should I have ignored that message since I don't know her? I think not.

No, it was good for you to put it out here----except for her personal information. You could have had people who might be able to help contact you by U2U so you could make sure the person wanting to help was legitimate.

Putting out someone's personal information on a very public forum without their specific permission is just wrong.

It was a private message, was it not?

Maron - 12-2-2015 at 02:14 PM

Just a thought - perhaps the Monday PM David referred to was not a personal message but rather the time of day the message was sent.

DianaT - 12-2-2015 at 03:11 PM

As I said, it was on the book's Facebook page and was a message there... personal? Well, she said David, and other than my name being one of the authors, when I post stuff there it is as 'OldMissions' and not David, so that's personal enough for me that she used my name.

She asked for help, and the what I did was the best way to give her help. Now, if you and Ralph are going to spend your hours finding ways to try and discredit me at every opportunity, you have to ask yourselves... Why do people go to David K for help and not us? Maybe instead of 90% complaining here, spend more time posting something of interest or helping Baja tourism based businesses?

I have not heard back from her, so maybe all is well. I will remove her personal info (that she gave me, someone she doesn't know, to getb help to her).

Again David, a simple question. Did she post it on your timeline? If she did, it would show under visitor's posts and I don't see it. Or did she send it as a Message where only you and any other administrators could see it?

It is good you decided to remove the personal information ---- you did the right thing. It did not belong here or on Talk Baja

rts551 - 12-2-2015 at 03:17 PM

As I said, it was on the book's Facebook page and was a message there... personal? Well, she said David, and other than my name being one of the authors, when I post stuff there it is as 'OldMissions' and not David, so that's personal enough for me that she used my name.

She asked for help, and the what I did was the best way to give her help. Now, if you and Ralph are going to spend your hours finding ways to try and discredit me at every opportunity, you have to ask yourselves... Why do people go to David K for help and not us? Maybe instead of 90% complaining here, spend more time posting something of interest or helping Baja tourism based businesses?

I have not heard back from her, so maybe all is well. I will remove her personal info (that she gave me, someone she doesn't know, to getb help to her).

Poor picked on David. How do you know they don't ask for help from me or others? There is more than "you" in this world. You already know I provide a lot of info about Baja so lets not go there. But yes, this is getting tiresome. I'll bet she appreciates you removing her personal info off the web.

Poor David, the "haters" picking on him.

rts551 - 12-2-2015 at 03:19 PM

Wouldn't it have been easier to just remove her personal info instead of getting your curlies all twisted?

DianaT - 12-2-2015 at 03:27 PM

Sorry to bruise your ego David, it was not about you, it was an opinion about your decision and I hoped you might reconsider that desicion.

And if you feel that your decision was the correct one, than you should have just left the information there.

Again, I think you made the correct decision to remove that information. But that is just my opinion.

bajabuddha - 12-2-2015 at 03:34 PM

Of course it's about DK.

EVERY thread is about DK.

Eventually.

BajaGringo - 12-2-2015 at 04:24 PM

Gruas Salcedo in San Quintin, right next to the federal police station on the extreme south end of town.

(616)165-2280, (616)177-5337

Hook - 12-2-2015 at 06:58 PM

Here's hoping we get back to the TRUE subject at hand........helping the Folgners out.

Can't the questions of privacy be handled PRIVATELY!!!! What's the point of doing it so publicly???

There is no privacy in the 21st Century, anyway............

AKgringo - 12-2-2015 at 07:13 PM

Twice in the last year, I have sent a U2U message about a post put up by another Nomad about a concern I had with it. Both times there was an exchange of information, and a satisfactory resolution of the issue....WITH NO PUBLIC DRAMA!

Some times it is worth a try. Sometimes it is better to just let it go!

David K - 12-3-2015 at 09:50 AM

Thursday Morning, still no reply from Pam at the OldMissions Facebook page (or anywhere else).

Bajaautoservice - 12-3-2015 at 10:41 PM

buenas noches to everyone, folgners are back home now in the US , I did help them with that truck, i'm a mechanic ( don`t have a tittle do, and am still learning ) and work at my own shop here in VICENTE GUERRERO, in the SAN QUINTIN AREA, have an otc scanner 2013 version and heavy duty software too, for diesel and gasoline engines, am able to diagnose light, medium and heavy duty vehicles. I might be able to help someone else, here is my # 616 1099888, and my name is Genaro Gonzalez

David K - 12-3-2015 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaautoservice  
buenas noches to everyone, folgners are back home now in the US , I did help them with that truck, i'm a mechanic ( don`t have a tittle do, and am still learning ) and work at my own shop here in VICENTE GUERRERO, in the SAN QUINTIN AREA, have an otc scanner 2013 version and heavy duty software too, for diesel and gasoline engines, am able to diagnose light, medium and heavy duty vehicles. I might be able to help someone else, here is my # 616 1099888, and my name is Genaro Gonzalez

Fantastico Genaro and welcome to BAJA NOMAD! Thank you for some closure on this little drama.

Bajaautoservice - 12-3-2015 at 11:22 PM

No problem, am here at this address : leona vicario 400, vicente guerrero, baja california, 22920 ( easy to find in google maps ) just one block off the main highway and once again # 616 1099888 e-mail bajaautoservice@hotmail.com

Whale-ista - 12-4-2015 at 02:03 AM

No problem, am here at this address : leona vicario 400, vicente guerrero, baja california, 22920 ( easy to find in google maps ) just one block off the main highway and once again # 616 1099888 e-mail bajaautoservice@hotmail.com

Good Information to have. Mil gracias Genaro.

Tiene una grua tambien?

Bajaautoservice - 12-4-2015 at 03:20 AM

I don`t have grua yet, maybe next year, but i can call someone who does have few of them.

[Edited on 12-4-2015 by Bajaautoservice]

Hook - 12-4-2015 at 07:06 AM

Bajaautoservice, what did the OBD scanner say about what the problem was with the truck? Earlier in this thread, there was mention of an exhaust sensor fault. Any more information on that?

Bajaautoservice - 12-4-2015 at 02:59 PM

the only dtc found was, P207F REDUCTANT QUALITY PERFORMANCE, vehicle wouldn't go over 50 mph, then it just idled, scanner showed that reductant tank only had 3 Qts. of DEF fuid but the information center stated that system was ok, bought 4 galons , poured all of them and after that i did special tests to reset parameters related to this dtc and that fixed the problem.

luv2fish - 12-4-2015 at 06:52 PM

the only dtc found was, P207F REDUCTANT QUALITY PERFORMANCE, vehicle wouldn't go over 50 mph, then it just idled, scanner showed that reductant tank only had 3 Qts. of DEF fuid but the information center stated that system was ok, bought 4 galons , poured all of them and after that i did special tests to reset parameters related to this dtc and that fixed the problem.

Chingon,😄😄😄 mil gracias good to know you are there.

Fernweh - 12-4-2015 at 07:08 PM

Thank you Genaro,

great to know of you there. I have added you to my contact list.

Thanks for helping those folks.

Saludos,

Karl

Bajaautoservice - 12-4-2015 at 10:01 PM

De nada, am here to help.