BajaNomad

Looks like a good time.

ehall - 12-10-2015 at 06:11 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/gpskevin/gpskevin-ride-calenda...

David K - 12-10-2015 at 06:21 PM

That looks great! If I was a m/c rider, I would want to go. Did you study the GPS Google Map? The hard vs easy routes are shown. The hard route to Coco's Corner is down the La Turquesa Grade and the easy route is Hwy. 5, of course.

ehall - 12-10-2015 at 06:50 PM

Oh ya. I have drooled over the routes. I know one of the guys riding it.

DirkEXC - 12-11-2015 at 01:00 PM

GPS Kevin is going to do the no wimps trail on a 690 ?:?:
I hope they have an extraction team waiting at El Gato

TMW - 12-11-2015 at 03:10 PM

After his ride I would like to get his take on the trail south of San Ignacio from El Patrocino to Guadaloupe and from Guadaloupe out to Hwy 1 near San Bruno.

willardguy - 12-11-2015 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DirkEXC  

lol...his first choice was the 530lb Africa Twin!:o

ehall - 12-11-2015 at 06:49 PM

The guy I know is riding a ktm 525 exc. At least someone can go for help!

ehall - 12-16-2015 at 03:26 PM

Maybe motoged can post up the pic of the one that broke in half on that trail.

motoged - 12-16-2015 at 03:43 PM

In 2011 a group from Vancouver BC did it....one guy's BMW 650 broke in half.....don't know about any 690's breaking there.

We met that group in San Ignacio and hauled it back to BC on the back of the Blue Bus.

..... I can post some pics of my broken leg x-rays and stapled leg if you like from my trip that year :biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Maybe motoged can post up the pic of the one that broke in half on that trail.

[Edited on 12-16-2015 by motoged]

ehall - 12-17-2015 at 08:31 AM

Those xray pics made me flinch
You can leave those out.

Gulliver - 12-17-2015 at 08:50 AM

I think these guys are delusional if they think they are going to ride from Guadalupe out to Rt 1 through the route shown. The road is gone and no one has been out through there even on horse back since Odile. I will make it a priority after the first of the year to ride up past San Jose de Magdalena and take a picture or two.

The again, for those prices, maybe they will hire a D-8 and fix things!

ehall - 12-17-2015 at 10:47 AM

Funny, I thought the price was good for food and lodging. I usually average at least $100 bucks a day when I go. That includes food, beer, lodging, and insurance though.

TMW - 12-17-2015 at 01:22 PM

Here is a GE image showing the ranches along the route from Guadalupe to Hwy 1. I marked the western end of the latest date for GE. To the west is 2003 and 2005 image dates.

I emailed GPSKevin and asked him for a trail status when he completes his ride as it would pertain to 4 wheelers. He said he would if I remind him in March.

motoged - 12-17-2015 at 04:47 PM

The No Wimps Trail is NOT the Guadalupe-Magdelena trail.....and the Magdelena trail is full of truck size boulders in the narrow canyon east of the summit....as Gulliver has indicated.....

Looking east towards San Jose Magdelena from "summit" north of Guadalupe:

Summit:

Eastwards:

Some of the "paved" (concrete skin) section heading down to blocked canyon (pic taken in '09):

And.....calling this ride the Baja California Discovery Route is kinda hijacking that term Discovery Route that is applied to established routes in the USA (northwest area states at least).....

Perhaps that is how "routes" get their name, but this guy is advertising sections that don't exist for travel anymore....he needs an update . :light:

[Edited on 12-18-2015 by motoged]

David K - 12-17-2015 at 05:07 PM

Never heard of an established "Discovery Route" in the USA...? We are so left out here in Southern California! LOL

motoged - 12-17-2015 at 05:34 PM

David,
You need to get out more.... ;)

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/

I believe they might have maps.....

Meanwhile.....back in Baja.....

Gulliver - 12-17-2015 at 07:40 PM

I tried riding from Guadalupe to San Jose de Magdalena last Spring and as soon as I was over the summit I hit areas where the combination of down hill and loose rocks sliding around made it just stupid to continue solo. When Al gets his hind quarters down here so I have a backup rider, we will go down further to take scary pictures. The locals I have tried to recruit for such a venture have used the bully's line from The Simpsons. "Ha, Ha."

The ranch wife at La Presa laughed at the idea of making it through either East OR West from her house. She said, "Lagartos solamente!" (lizards only).

As I said, I will go see how far I can get going in from Magdalena. There's supposed to be a rancho up that road past the village that has decent cheese.

TMW - 12-17-2015 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  

The ranch wife at La Presa laughed at the idea of making it through either East OR West from her house. She said, "Lagartos solamente!" (lizards only).

How did you get to her ranch if both routes are closed?

KurtG - 12-17-2015 at 08:17 PM

I tried riding from Guadalupe to San Jose de Magdalena last Spring and as soon as I was over the summit I hit areas where the combination of down hill and loose rocks sliding around made it just stupid to continue solo. When Al gets his hind quarters down here so I have a backup rider, we will go down further to take scary pictures. The locals I have tried to recruit for such a venture have used the bully's line from The Simpsons. "Ha, Ha."

As I said, I will go see how far I can get going in from Magdalena. There's supposed to be a rancho up that road past the village that has decent cheese.

That steep watercourse cuesta between Guadalupe and San Jose de Magdalena has massive boulders blocking the pass. It has been repaired a number of times over the years but this time seems to be worse than in the past. I miss that ride, it was a favorite day trip from Mulege with wonderful scenery. The ranch you refer to is likely Rcho San Isidro, Jose Luis Lopez and family. The ranch has been in the family since around 1850 and yes the cheese they make is good. A combination of goat and cows' milk. If you get there before I do please give them my regards.

Gulliver - 12-17-2015 at 08:17 PM

From the South.

It's a fun day ride up to her house from Mulege. Just head West out of Mulege and turn right (North) at the sign saying San Estanislao.

It's a beautiful ride. Lots of small ranchos. Water crossings. Big mountains on all sides. Round trip from Mulege is maybe 100 miles max.

The cutoff to head West is about 100 yards before her house. You ride a few hundred feet and then hit this dry water course with a six foot step up over rocks just to get started. Odile just whacked the road. Discouraging to say the least. The next time I'm up there I'm going to take along a small shovel and see if I can figure out a workaround for bikes. Cars, I dunno.

Going East, the Y is maybe a half of a mile before La Presa (her house) and runs over a lot of bare rock and seldom travelled terrain. If it weren't for the severe blockage later along, it would be a fun ride. Hard enough to stay really focussed but not bad enough to need X-rays when you get home. Eh, Motoged?

Gulliver - 12-17-2015 at 08:19 PM

Added info:

There is another La Presa down the San Raymond canyon road. That's not the one I've been referring to.

MulegeAL - 12-17-2015 at 08:25 PM

The pavimento camino in that canyon was comepletely destroyed by hurricane Paul, that was a couple of storms ago. I have ridden all the way to the ends from both sides, it is totally impassible by man, machine or beast in the box canyon section. It got fixed after Jimena, but now it is abandoned route. Impassible even with mule & mexican.

Last year when I rode in, there was a dessicated yearling cow that had stumbled into the "overfall" section, where the rushing waters must've been 20 to 30 feet deep at max flood. I got pics on the other PC.

And forget about riding through from Patrocino on anything heavier than a trials bike/250, and better know what the hell you are doing.

'course, if I can talk Gully into it, I'll go, if only to visit my goat herder mexican pals out there on the fringe....not all of baja has sold out to Carlos Slim, yet.

Gulliver - 12-17-2015 at 08:32 PM

This from Monte Python to describe the current condition of these roads:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

MulegeAL - 12-17-2015 at 08:45 PM

But, but...I have waypoints!

...never mind that they are 4 or 5 hurricane floods old!

Gulliver - 12-17-2015 at 08:52 PM

One of the most difficult areas to navigate is the first eight miles West out of Mulege. The various floods wiped out everything and the new 'roads' don't follow the old GPS routes and waypoints very well. If you try following the most travelled and obvious routes you will go where most of the locals go. To their ranchos.

I have a set of turn by turn instructions that will help you get past the confusing parts and save you all kinds of time. I will dig them out and post them.

bajatrailrider - 12-18-2015 at 09:33 AM

One of the most difficult areas to navigate is the first eight miles West out of Mulege. The various floods wiped out everything and the new 'roads' don't follow the old GPS routes and waypoints very well. If you try following the most travelled and obvious routes you will go where most of the locals go. To their ranchos.

I have a set of turn by turn instructions that will help you get past the confusing parts and save you all kinds of time. I will dig them out and post them.

Very cool info Gulliver

Mike Kay - 12-19-2015 at 12:29 AM

We tried Guadalupe to Magdalena in Feb. Its in bad shape. However, back up the road 1/4 mile from the road cut at the bottom of the canyon, is a gnarly and very very exposed little mule track local ranchers use, for mules. It might be possible for 3-4 guys to bulldog a bike down that. Up, probably not, but maybe down. We walked a bit down the canyon and it does get better, and maybe it could be ridden out. It was raining, and we had to get to San Ignacio, so after an hour we gave up. Would be a fun adventure. Bring ropes, 450 bikes, and prepare for an all day event.

David K - 12-19-2015 at 12:50 AM

The El Camino Real (Mulegé branch) went from Mulegé to Magdalena and up to Guadalupe... so by foot, burro, or mule: YES!

Map: upon request from motoged only! All others, u2u and I will make a separate post for it.

MulegeAL - 12-19-2015 at 09:55 AM

Top of the box canyon, looking south, back towards the Guadelupe end...

The wall is remmanent of the curbing on the paved section climb above the hairpins, all gone now. Photo simply does not do justice to the awesome display of destruction here. The dessicated cow is up above my riding pal.

Behind the photo is no go, not safe to transit due to loose overhead boulders, steep overfall-style terrain. Bring rope, helmets, sat phone for distress call.

The mule trail above this does sound interesting! I bet it does have a lot of exposure and scenic views, cholla, stiff brush, loose rocks, snakes, etc. When do we go?

David K - 12-19-2015 at 10:11 AM

GREAT PHOTO!!:light:

KurtG - 12-19-2015 at 10:36 AM

Al,
Thanks for the pic. That very dramatically shows what my ranchero friends at Rcho San Isidro have told me. I really miss that loop as a day ride out of Mulege, for years it was in good condition and was repaired in between storms but the recent ones have just been too much. That is a steep, narrow water course and immense amounts of water flow through it. The arroyo going from there to San Jose de Magdalena was always interesting to watch year to year, car sized rocks moved substantial distances made the power of the water flow very obvious.

I'm glad I got to ride and drive back roads like San Javier/Comundu/San Isidro when they were in better condition. Seems to me there was more effort to keep them open 15-20 years ago. But then the storms seem to come more frequently these days.

As you know, it can be hit and miss on many of these routes. The first time I drove through the San Juan de la Pila road I was literally following in the fresh tracks of a dozer. Pure luck as to my timing.

David K - 12-19-2015 at 10:47 AM

Not only did those monster flash floods take out the road, but also destroyed nearly all the ruins downstream at La Magdalena: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37460 (scroll to 2015 posts)

MulegeAL - 12-19-2015 at 10:55 AM

I miss it too, and I'm glad I got to do it a bunch of times before it got destroyed.
But out and backs are good too, going back I kinda know what to expect, can carry a bit more pace where the going is good and get back to cold beer sooner!

Congruence of events: many floods in last 10 years wrecking high/steep pasos, rise in price of Pemex gas, less kids carrying on the back country rancho lifestyle. It will always be there, it will never be easy to access, and it will almost always be worth the effort, at least for me. Some of the coolest stuff & people I ever found/met is back there.

Uno mas pintura..

Is 25 / 30 feet to the bottom from the curb, which is now in air over the boulder.

motoged - 12-19-2015 at 12:42 PM

Yes....sure glad I had a chance to ride that loop....four times....twice on 1100 GS and twice on 450 (led a BMW tour of 6 bikes through there in 2001)....dirt in '07 and '08....helmet cam video for most of ride somewhere in my downstairs office....someday will transfer from tape to digital....

bajatrailrider - 12-21-2015 at 09:26 AM

Any good rides around Muleje.Have a friend there,wants me to come over.To dirt bike ride,but does not know any routes.All the pictures,shown Amazing.

Gulliver - 12-21-2015 at 09:40 AM

I'll U2U with info.
Mike

bajatrailrider - 12-21-2015 at 09:54 AM

I'll U2U with info.
Mike
Thank You

willardguy - 12-21-2015 at 10:05 AM

how 'bout a shot of someone wheelie-ing across the top of the wall! :P Laia?
cool photo!

Gulliver - 12-21-2015 at 11:45 AM

You provide the helicopter and I'll be there!

David K - 12-21-2015 at 12:14 PM

Calling Cameron Steele!