BajaNomad

Herman Hill Memorial Gathering (Dec. 30, 2015) event photos added to thread

Paulina - 12-13-2015 at 09:56 PM

Herman Chester Hill
November 6, 1921 ~ December 6, 2013

Please join me in remembering Herman; the gold miner, famous author, story teller, rocket scientist, bad joke teller, card shark, my baja dad. He loved baja, the ambassador of the second row of Guillermo's, loved exploring the desert in search of the Jesuit gold.

Mornings were his favorite time of the day, with a hot cup of coffee and sweet rolls if he could get them. Because of his morning routine and his fondness for Las Flores, I would love for anyone who happens to be in Bahia to join me out at Las Flores to share stories and remember him. We will have hot coffee, donuts, other sweet treats as well as birthday cake. If you knew Herman, you knew that every day was his birthday.

When:Wednesday, December 30, 2015
Where: Las Flores, Bahia de Los Angeles
Time: 9:00 a.m. - ?

P>*)))>{

These photos were taken by Graham Mackintosh, the last ones taken before Herman died.

[Edited on 14-12-2015 by Paulina]

[Edited on 14-12-2015 by Paulina]

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by Paulina]

Elena La Loca - 12-13-2015 at 10:01 PM

So sorry for your loss. A true Baa legend.

bajabuddha - 12-13-2015 at 10:41 PM

I read the book; ten thousand pages long......... condensed version.

What an incredible 'oner'. There is now a subtle space in the fabric of the Universe.

Time for condolences, tears, celebration and FIESTA. A person dies twice; the second time when his name is spoken no more. Seņor Hill will live practically forever. RIP.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OG!

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by bajabuddha]

David A. - 12-14-2015 at 06:16 AM

You know Yvonne and I will be there. See you soon.

David K - 12-14-2015 at 07:50 AM

Herman was both a 'cool' dude and a 'party animal'... he will be greatly missed but thanks to our memories of him and his book... he lives forever!

Paulina - 12-17-2015 at 04:07 PM

Bumping ol' Herman up to the top of Today's Posts page, for those who only go that far into Nomadland.

P>*)))>{

Marc - 12-18-2015 at 08:42 PM

Gone but not forgotten.

Paulina - 12-19-2015 at 11:25 AM

P>*)))>{

Desertbull - 12-19-2015 at 04:03 PM

Rolling thru northbound from Pancho's a couple days later...sorry can't make it. Herman was a true badass...funny too!

On a big circle of adventure starting this week thru Jan 6...

Paulina - 1-3-2016 at 07:01 PM

We had a wonderful gathering the morning of December 30th out at the Las Flores cemetery to remember Herman. The weather cleared, over 30 people came together from all ends of the bay to laugh, reconnect, share stories, and celebrate the man we all loved.
I was asked to share photos here as some of the folks who attended don't use Facebook. I didn't take many photos, I hope that others will share as well.

We placed Herman's ashes off to the right of the main cemetery out of respect for those who are already there. Over the years a few of the older existing graves have disappeared, and I didn't want to take the chance of disturbing them.

Unfortunately not all people have respect for others, or the dead for that matter. Herman's plaque was stolen, pulled out of the cement before it had the chance to dry. It was reported and I will replace it. No need to get into who did it or why, the Delgado and Policia have the information and will take it from there.

In the meantime we left a wooden plaque so that Herman wouldn't go out cowboy style in an unmarked grave. I only mention this should anyone visit Las Flores in the near future, before I have the chance to replace it this summer.

Thank you to those who were able to join us and to those who were with us from afar.

P>*)))>{

Paulina - 1-3-2016 at 07:06 PM

P>*)))>{

David K - 1-3-2016 at 11:26 PM

Thank you Paulina!
I am happy to have met him and have chatted a little with him. Thank you for the introduction back in 2001.
I hope his memorial can remain undisturbed, at least after you fix it.
Thanks to you and his book, he will long be admired and remembered!

Santiago - 1-4-2016 at 06:55 AM

Thanks for this Paulina. Hope to see you this summer.

fdt - 1-4-2016 at 09:54 AM

Sorry to hear about the plaque being stolen. It looked very nice and original, you say you will get another one, IMHO have it made of a hard plastic or even fiber glass and paint it to resemble the original, a replica in other words but this one the thieves can't sell for scrap so they might leave it.
Saludos,
Fernando

Paulina - 1-4-2016 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
Sorry to hear about the plaque being stolen. It looked very nice and original, you say you will get another one, IMHO have it made of a hard plastic or even fiber glass and paint it to resemble the original, a replica in other words but this one the thieves can't sell for scrap so they might leave it.
Saludos,
Fernando

Exactly.

woody with a view - 1-4-2016 at 05:21 PM

five cents of scrap value......:fire:

CaboMagic - 1-4-2016 at 07:52 PM

Paulina I missed seeing this posting - please accept our condolences .. RIP Mr. Hill