BajaNomad

What rig would you rather take to baja?

djsnowflake - 12-14-2015 at 04:41 PM

would you rather drive a 84 17' toyota sunrader RV with full amenities or a 05 4x4 single cab tacoma with ARE camper shell, arb bumper, and off road wheels, tires and suspension.
Obviously I could go more places in the tacoma, but the comfort of the RV is very appealing..
They both get about the same mpg, with the tacoma getting slightly better.
I feel like the tacoma is more flashy while the little sunrader is low key.
Ill probably take the sunrader after getting some all terrain tires put on

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by djsnowflake]

bajarich - 12-14-2015 at 08:03 PM

You mean your wife doesn't make that decision for you?

AKgringo - 12-14-2015 at 08:32 PM

Your Tacoma would never forgive you if you leave it home and take your 'house-car' to Baja! It would probably go all high maintenance on you out of spite.

No one can answer that question for you. How long you going to be on the road, and how much stuff you need, and what you like to do factors in any decision making.

For me and my interests, I would take the Tacoma. I have "all the amenities" right where I am. What I want more of, is deserted beaches and challenging drives to way out of the way places that the Sunraider will never get to.

Either way, you are going to have a good time. What are your main interests, water sports, fishing, camping, just general touring, or are you looking for a place to settle into for a spell?

David K - 12-14-2015 at 11:15 PM

What do you want to see or do in Baja on this trip?

Just kick back and stay in RV parks sipping cold cervezas to relax...

OR

Go almost anywhere and explore, find a deserted beach or palm canyon and camp where no one will hear you and more important, where you will hear no one!

Toyota help you win, either way!

bkbend - 12-14-2015 at 11:22 PM

What AK said, unless you plan on an extended stay somewhere. You'll be much more mobile and the driving part will be a lot easier. My first trip was six weeks out of the back of a pickup, 2-5 days at each stop then on the move again. Then you can decide if you want to bring the MH next trip. When I wanted to spend a month on one place on a different trip I rented a place for a month with all the comforts of a house. Running water, electricity, and septic are a lot better than dealing with an RV. Full hookups may not be where you want to be.

El Jefe - 12-15-2015 at 08:52 AM

Take the RV. It's winter in Baja and the wind blows cold. You need a cozy place to hunker down and enjoy the view with a cup of coffee and a sip of tequila. There is so much to see from paved or good dirt roads that you will have no problema filling your time with interesting and exciting things to do. This is a great way to get familiar with the lay of the land and scope out places for further exploration. See a bad road you want to try out? Mark it on your map for the next trip in the pickup.

Pull over and stop a lot. Take a nap in the middle of the day. Enjoy the amazing vistas. Your little RV will be perfect.

djsnowflake - 12-15-2015 at 10:16 AM

Im going on a 2-3week trip. my main interest is History and general sight seeing.. Im bringing some toys to quell my A.D.D when stopped, so ill have my surfboard, kyak and mtn bike..(I'm not a surfer by any means so surf spots aren't huge on the list)
Being able to drive anywhere in the tacoma is tempting but Im kinda leaning more towards the RV because its winter. Ill be moving around a lot; with the rv i don't have to break camp every time i want to move and Ill bring my mountain bike so I can explore once parked.. taking random naps and enjoying tequila from the comfort of the rv sounds amazing, but so does exploring backroads and random beaches..
Thanks for the input, it helps!

AKgringo - 12-15-2015 at 10:18 AM

I can't argue with Jefe's logic! Fortunately for you, this isn't like 'Sophie's choice', there is no wrong answer!

The rig I drive down there would come in as third choice if I had your options. When you decide what you are driving, the rest of us can be more helpful with our suggestions.

Ateo - 12-15-2015 at 10:26 AM

Yep. All depends on what you wanna do. I'd go Taco but thats just my style.

Lee - 12-15-2015 at 10:32 AM

From an RVer: RV.

David K - 12-15-2015 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by djsnowflake  
Im going on a 2-3week trip. my main interest is History and general sight seeing.. Im bringing some toys to quell my A.D.D when stopped, so ill have my surfboard, kyak and mtn bike..(I'm not a surfer by any means so surf spots aren't huge on the list)
Being able to drive anywhere in the tacoma is tempting but Im kinda leaning more towards the RV because its winter. Ill be moving around a lot; with the rv i don't have to break camp every time i want to move and Ill bring my mountain bike so I can explore once parked.. taking random naps and enjoying tequila from the comfort of the rv sounds amazing, but so does exploring backroads and random beaches..
Thanks for the input, it helps!

To help you find HISTORY in Baja California, look at the Historical Interests and Literature forum here on Baja Nomad, see my articles at Baja Bound and Discover Baja online magazines (links are in the Baja Nomad Baja Travel Articles forum), and have a copy of our book in your glove box...

Mmmmm

captkw - 12-15-2015 at 11:40 AM

done both route's and I vote for the truck for many reasons, which would fill a book also that small RV is WAYYYyyy under powerd and the Baja RD has a LOT of hills. a truck opens a lot of doors while a RV closes many...

Tomas Tierra - 12-15-2015 at 11:47 AM

Might not help for this trip, but.....

If you sold the RV and found a little four wheel pop up camper to fit the Tacoma, you would have the best of both worlds.. You'd still have a nimble little 4x4, and a place to get out of the weather and sip bevies..
Get the right one and you'll have a furnace, sink water, fridge/icebox and a comfy queen sized bed. All for around 5 g's (used).. Set up and break down takes mere minutes

Then when you get Home you can put your shell back on the truck, and have your freedom
No RV storage, no extra registration and insurance.. Stuff the little camper on a dolly in your garage when not on the truck (dolly holds shell when camper is on truck)..

We have been doing this for 20 some years.. We fit right in with the rv's at santispac, and the jeep/truck tent campers down the lonely beach..

Them "you go to Baja so much, why don't you have a house there?"

Me " I have a hundred houses there! Wherever I put my truck"

Have a great trip!! As others said, you can't go wrong either way you'll be in Baja!

TT

Tomas Tierra - 12-15-2015 at 11:50 AM

.......... And for gosh sakes, put some BFG's on the Tacoma! Jejejeje

dorado50 - 12-15-2015 at 12:34 PM

i would forget the two cars mentioned above and go with a cadilac ...just my style is all...i would bring along a propane stove for the coffeeeeeee. safe travels

stove and truck

captkw - 12-15-2015 at 12:52 PM

Forget propane get a Coleman 533 Dual fuel stove

rts551 - 12-15-2015 at 02:06 PM

Take the RV.. Despite what some say, you don't have to stay in an RV park. Lots of places to go where you can park right by the beach and still have some comfort. Save the Toy Taco for when the weather is nicer.

MMc - 12-15-2015 at 02:23 PM

I am a truck guy. I would take the RV. You can get to most trade surf spots and historical places in a RV and a bit of comfort will go a long way.

bajabuddha - 12-15-2015 at 02:24 PM

2 Q's, DJ...

First, how old are you? and second, how long are you travelling for? Shorter trips are fine for smaller quarters; comfort can be compromised... the K.I.S.S. technique is viable. If you're doing more than a couple of weeks, tiny spaces get tinier especially when the wind blows for a week or more.

djsnowflake - 12-16-2015 at 01:21 AM

Im 31 years old, (same age as the sunrader lol). I plan on going for 2-3 weeks, doing some history, sports and maybe some nightlife. I just got BFG's Ko2s on the sunrader today plus getting a add a leaf installed friday to give me some more clearance in the rear, she just had a tuneup too so she should be ready to roll… Also I won't get as anxious or homesick in the RV, which oddly enough happens when i travel sometimes

djsnowflake - 12-16-2015 at 01:25 AM

Im 31 years old, (same age as the sunrader lol). I plan on going for 2-3 weeks, doing some history, sports and maybe some nightlife. I just got BFG's Ko2s on the sunrader today plus getting a add a leaf installed friday to give me some more clearance in the rear, she just had a tuneup too so she should be ready to roll… Also I won't get as anxious or homesick in the RV, which oddly enough happens when i travel sometimes

bajabuddha - 12-16-2015 at 02:40 AM

Your upside is you'll feel more comfortable, but downside is you will have a much harder time finding parking places in towns.... the extra few feet of length will be a burden. For 2-3 weeks a camper would be a snap. And at 31, even a paco pad is not an issue. Solar shower, or most RV parks have showers/toilets. My first soirees of a few weeks at a time was in an '84 GMC Vandura w/ a 305 engine. Coleman stove, lawn chair w/toilet seat and shovel.

A few words to the wise: use your debit/credit card and get pesos from ATMs, don't use dollars. If you do 'nightlife' be aware Mexico is a ZERO-tolerant nation; you can be arrested if you ADMIT to having one beer and driving, so be cautious. Tequila gives delusions of adequacy, and although some consensus is 'anything goes in Baja' if you're a first timer you can look like a 'mark'.

Interface with fellow campers, leave your itinerary flexible. Travel where the ethereal winds blow you; the best advice of where to go next is from someone who just came from there. Watch out for the 'vibradores and topes', the most effective ''slow down, dummy!" bumps in the world. Above all, if you love it, LOCK IT. Coyotes abound, and amazing how simple things grow legs. Especially military checkpoints; watch 'em closely, don't leave pocket-able items laying loose (camera, cell phone, flashlight etc).

Lastly, next trip try to budget in just a little more time; you'll probably regret you didn't this trip. WARNING: Baja can be extremely habit-forming. You've been warned.

Have a great trip, keep the black side down. DON'T drive at night, EVER. And hold the rubber-necking to a minimum while underway; the TP 1 is an unforgiving highway as you will see. Let us know how it went.

Happy trails,
bb