BajaNomad

Help needed please in Camalu to retrieve wallet and id to me in Todos Santos!

Acuity - 12-15-2015 at 07:27 AM

I really need some help with the difficulties I am in. We were driving to Todos Santos from Canada (as usual) for our winter stay, and my shoulder bag with my wallet, id (as well as phone, Ipad, glasses etc) was stolen in Vicente Guerrero when I left it behind in a busy restaurant - when I noticed and returned it was gone.

The thief would seem to have tossed my wallet (minus cash, of course) and a lady found it in Camalu and had the good nature and initiative to contact me via Facebook. By the time I found this out (not having my communication devices), we were far south. We are now in Todos Santos.

The challenge is that this lady (as best I can tell with my Spanish, because she does not know English at all) has "no resources" to get the wallet back to me. She will meet someone in Camalu to hand over the wallet. Her cell phone is also out of commission right now, so no-one can contact her by phone, only Facebook when she is active. I am 1400 km away... and I can't drive officially as my license is in the wallet, and I cannot get a new one here for the time I am in Mexico!! The latter point is why I am pretty frantic to get the wallet back here - I need to be able to drive without fear of having my vehicle taken away while I am in BCS.

So... does any nomad have ideas how to get my wallet and contents back? Anyone in the Camalu area who could collect the wallet and work out with me how to get it to TS? Anyone passing through in the next month?

Thanks!!

rts551 - 12-15-2015 at 08:19 AM

See if someone in the area or passing through will put it on the bus (via Bajapac). I would post this on Talk Baja (facebook) since there are a few people there that live in the area.

I posted it over there for you.

[Edited on 12-15-2015 by rts551]

Acuity - 12-15-2015 at 08:33 AM

Thanks for posting it! How does Bajapac work?

bajasusan/a - 12-15-2015 at 09:38 AM

WHAT A COINKYDINK! MY wallet was stolen two days ago, meaning I have had to delay my planned trip to Bahia Asuncion for at last a few days so I can figure out how to get gas money with no ATM card (anyone know if it is possible to cash a check somewhere?). This may be great news for you, as I will pass through Camalu on Friday, primero dios, and I am semi-bilingual.
Since there is no money, I would just retrieve it, and I get you a buncha pesos that I would find a nomad headed south when i get to Campo Sirena...My landline in Tijuana is 664-609-90-54 if you want to talk...GOOD LUCK to both of us!

Fernweh - 12-15-2015 at 10:17 AM

Hello,

please see your U2U's

I am crossing in Tecate in a hours or so

rts551 - 12-15-2015 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Acuity  
Thanks for posting it! How does Bajapac work?

Lots of offers to help over on talkbaja (facebook).

Do you still need help?

BajaBlanca - 12-15-2015 at 06:58 PM

I bet this was handled but I just want to add my 2 pesos:

I had a cell phone sent via bajapack from todos santos to santa rosalia that simply never arrived. Unless accompanied by a human, don't just don't send it via bajapack.

unless perhaps you give it to the bus driver personally with some incentive cash to have him babysit it?? that would be the alternative.

BajaCactus - 12-15-2015 at 07:10 PM

Acuity... Let me know if you have not resolved this yet... I can help.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus - 12-15-2015 at 07:12 PM

bajasusan/a... if you still need help in Tijuana let me know... I might be able to help you out as well.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

rts551 - 12-15-2015 at 08:01 PM

I wish people that asked for help would follow up and let everyone know if they solved the problem or still needed help. It leaves a lot of people hanging when they do not.

monoloco - 12-15-2015 at 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I bet this was handled but I just want to add my 2 pesos:

I had a cell phone sent via bajapack from todos santos to santa rosalia that simply never arrived. Unless accompanied by a human, don't just don't send it via bajapack.

unless perhaps you give it to the bus driver personally with some incentive cash to have him babysit it?? that would be the alternative.
Blanca, We are still trying to get Bajapak to compensate us for that, supposedly it was insured, but so far we have just gotten an endless run around. The last time they said that they would call back in the afternoon and let us know what the status of our claim was. That was over a week ago. i would highly recommend that no one ever uses them for anything, ever.

BajaGringo - 12-16-2015 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Acuity  
I really need some help with the difficulties I am in. We were driving to Todos Santos from Canada (as usual) for our winter stay, and my shoulder bag with my wallet, id (as well as phone, Ipad, glasses etc) was stolen in Vicente Guerrero when I left it behind in a busy restaurant - when I noticed and returned it was gone.

The thief would seem to have tossed my wallet (minus cash, of course) and a lady found it in Camalu and had the good nature and initiative to contact me via Facebook. By the time I found this out (not having my communication devices), we were far south. We are now in Todos Santos.

The challenge is that this lady (as best I can tell with my Spanish, because she does not know English at all) has "no resources" to get the wallet back to me. She will meet someone in Camalu to hand over the wallet. Her cell phone is also out of commission right now, so no-one can contact her by phone, only Facebook when she is active. I am 1400 km away... and I can't drive officially as my license is in the wallet, and I cannot get a new one here for the time I am in Mexico!! The latter point is why I am pretty frantic to get the wallet back here - I need to be able to drive without fear of having my vehicle taken away while I am in BCS.

So... does any nomad have ideas how to get my wallet and contents back? Anyone in the Camalu area who could collect the wallet and work out with me how to get it to TS? Anyone passing through in the next month?

Thanks!!

The delegado in Camalu is a close friend of ours and can help to arrange to get the wallet to us and from there we can figure out how to get it down to you. Send me a private message here or contact me on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/BajaGringo

Merry Christmas...

Fernweh - 12-16-2015 at 05:26 PM

Apparently the only contact with that lady is just via Facebook,

and the poor guy could not contact her, as she wasn't online....

So I drove past Camalu home.
Sorry it didn't work out

rts551 - 12-17-2015 at 08:49 PM

Weird when people ask for help and then disappear