BajaNomad

Seattle to Loreto Trip Report

brucedog - 12-15-2015 at 06:05 PM

Thought I'd post about my trip to La Ventana while I have good internet in Loreto. I'm driving solo in a Sprinter cargo van full of furniture, household goods, water toys, and a puppy. The van is so full the puppy barely fit.

I had lots of anxiety over the border crossing/importing new goods. I was turned around at San Ysidro and told to go to Otay Mesa which cost me a day (happened Sunday afternoon). The inspectors at Otay were very nice and professional. I had a couple couches, a bed, table, chairs, and other stuff that cost me over $4000. They just put a $2500 value on it all which I paid 16% on and was on my way.

Overall I think the roads were good. The van rides a lot rougher than my Honda Pilot so I was feeling every bump but there was nothing really bad. As I have read on this forum there are some really nice new sections although their exact locations now escape me.

The best part of the trip was a friendly smile followed by "Adelante" at every military checkpoint. If that could only happen on my way north next month!

Cheers and thanks for everybody's advice.

Bruce

Maron - 12-15-2015 at 07:25 PM

So far, so good. Glad your trip is going well.

bajaguy - 12-15-2015 at 07:40 PM

You will get more through searches northbound, but a puppy might be an advantage

vandenberg - 12-15-2015 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  
Thought I'd post about my trip to La Ventana while I have good internet in Loreto. I'm driving solo in a Sprinter cargo van full of furniture, household goods, water toys, and a puppy. The van is so full the puppy barely fit.

I had lots of anxiety over the border crossing/importing new goods. I was turned around at San Ysidro and told to go to Otay Mesa which cost me a day (happened Sunday afternoon). The inspectors at Otay were very nice and professional. I had a couple couches, a bed, table, chairs, and other stuff that cost me over $4000. They just put a $2500 value on it all which I paid 16% on and was on my way.

Overall I think the roads were good. The van rides a lot rougher than my Honda Pilot so I was feeling every bump but there was nothing really bad. As I have read on this forum there are some really nice new sections although their exact locations now escape me.

The best part of the trip was a friendly smile followed by "Adelante" at every military checkpoint. If that could only happen on my way north next month!

Cheers and thanks for everybody's advice.

Bruce

Somehow ,regarding the road conditions coming south, you forgot to mention the conditions of the roads coming through Santa Rosalia. Right now they qualify for the most deplorable roads anywhere in BCS. Just came through there yesterday and I believe the municipality of that town should be ashamed letting their local roads become nearly impassible wihout doing damage to your vehicle. Time to hold those mining folks responsible, it's their equipment doing most of the damage.

white whale - 12-17-2015 at 01:08 PM

Sprinter van here also - 2006 - considering a summer '16 trip
1. any issues with diesel fuel - performance wise?
2. what is the realistic drive time from the border to Loreto?

BajaBlanca - 12-17-2015 at 01:37 PM

realistic is to choose a place to stop for a night and then do the second part to get into Loreto.

first night might be san quintin at los jardines hotel which everyone loves. make sure it ain't a Monday or the restaurant will be closed.

second choice might be catavina because it is a wonderful place to explore

another stop point might be guerrero negro - lots of choices of places to stay and lots of places to eat. someone else can give that suggestion.

Your second day will be a breeze - pretty drive.

-----------------------------------------------no idea about diesel---------

honda tom - 12-21-2015 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
Sprinter van here also - 2006 - considering a summer '16 trip
1. any issues with diesel fuel - performance wise?
2. what is the realistic drive time from the border to Loreto?

border to loreto can be done 4am to 4pm without worries, however not a good plan for a long trip as you wont see much. When the plan is to go to loreto, 4 to 4 is what I do.

my 2004 ford diesel does not have any issues on mexico diesel.

Howard - 12-21-2015 at 11:41 AM

Honda Tom

That is averaging almost 60 MPH. I sincerely hope I don't come anywhere near you as you drive recklessly down highway 1.

I wish you a safe drive but sooner or later it will catch up with you and hope you don't take me down with you.

honda tom - 12-21-2015 at 07:10 PM

No Howard, I don't drive recklessly. I make 2 only fuel stops, and at 1 of them eat lunch. When my destination is Loreto I don't dilly- dally around at all the neat things to stop and see, Ill do that on trips that are meant for that. My speeds are based on the conditions, and all of them are safe.

David K - 12-21-2015 at 07:26 PM

It's great to be young!
50 mph is the average Hwy. 1 trip 'speed' for us (no towing, no RV).
600 miles @ 50 mph = 12 hours (Tijuana to Mulege)
Did that once, in 2007 coming home from Bahía Concepción. Never again. Stopped for photos, saw the old salt pier at Laguna Guerrero Negro and stopped for meals. We should have stayed at Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario instead of getting home after midnight!