BajaNomad

Magdalena West

Gulliver - 12-21-2015 at 09:19 PM

A few pictures from my ride out West from San José de Magdalena on 12-20-2015.

Just leaving Magdalena heading West. Lies! All lies!!

More unique Mexican humor. Like the whole road is a Tope. Actually there was a cattle guard around the corner.

Look what this stinking road has done to my fork! I could starve out here.

MulegeAL - 12-21-2015 at 09:27 PM

A KLR rider would use that fork! And save it for the next trip.

motoged - 12-21-2015 at 10:52 PM

Looks like the doo-hickey on that KLR fork is shot :biggrin:

KurtG - 12-22-2015 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
A KLR rider would use that fork! And save it for the next trip.

At first read I was terribly offended but I can see my 150,000 mile '91 KLR from where I'm typing and I guess we have earned that stereotype.

MulegeAL - 12-22-2015 at 10:57 AM

No offense meant; I take crap for riding an old bike with fins and a kickstarter, no red button to push.

Being a Honda rider I can afford a metal fork from Goodwill. Keep it in the front pocket, it is useful for removing cholla!

Gulliver - 12-22-2015 at 11:38 AM

And I thought my 25K Baja miles on my DR was a bit much. I did meet a guy stateside with 138K on a DR-350. Commuting to college mostly though. He had only been into it once for some rings, a cam chain and a valve job.

Having grown up with old British and Spanish machinery I am constantly amazed at how these modern bikes just keep moving along.

I love my red button though!

motoged - 12-22-2015 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  

I love my red button though!

I call it the G-spot.....as in "go".....makes everybody happy....not too hard to find :biggrin:

KurtG - 12-22-2015 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
No offense meant; I take crap for riding an old bike with fins and a kickstarter, no red button to push.

Being a Honda rider I can afford a metal fork from Goodwill. Keep it in the front pocket, it is useful for removing cholla!

I have been thoroughly shamed, I just ordered a titanium spork. I'll have to hide it if other KLRista's are around or I'll be drummed out of the cult and my Doohickey taken back.

For those non-riders: Google KLR Doohickey for the story of how one poorly designed part can kill hundreds of engines including one of mine.

motoged - 12-22-2015 at 03:41 PM

Kurt.....you are good evidence that good old stuff still works.....KLRs are the Swiss Army Knife of the motorcycle world....not much acceleration capacity, frame bolts that need replacing, and some fork work....all make it one of the most dependable rides out there.

Guilt; Feeling bad about our behaviour

Shame: Feeling bad about who we are

I suggest you just baste yourself in guilt....leave the shame for those who deserve it. :saint:

Happy Trails

MulegeAL - 12-22-2015 at 04:22 PM

From sporks back to forks. This is the sign that used to be at the first main fork in the arroyo west of San Jose de Magdelena.

This was March '09, sign was destroyed and carried away in the floods from Jimena later that year.

Gulliver - 12-22-2015 at 04:44 PM

So what does "El ultimo intent" mean? The direct translation is, "I complete attempt."

Like, to the end of the road? Maybe everyone who went up here died painfully?

MulegeAL - 12-22-2015 at 08:28 PM

I would have to ask a local on that!

In so many ways it is a perfect expression of baja back country and why I still pursue what is to be discovered there.

Maron - 12-22-2015 at 10:12 PM

Long live the brotherhood of bike riders.

Be safe

AKgringo - 12-22-2015 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
So what does "El ultimo intent" mean? The direct translation is, "I complete attempt."

Like, to the end of the road? Maybe everyone who went up here died painfully?

I think it translates to 'The last attempt'

Gulliver - 12-23-2015 at 05:03 AM

It was the last attempt for me!

Actually if I get some tasks done around the house this morning I may ride out to the Una de Gato area after lunch and snuffle around a bit.

willyAirstream - 12-24-2015 at 10:24 AM

Gulliver, We need a scout to check the road from La Purisima to Comundo, if you are up for another adventure. Trip planned for jan 2016

David K - 12-24-2015 at 10:41 AM

Comondú... yes, please let us know how the direct road is between the two. Regrading had been reported on the north end out of San Isidro (just east of La Purísima).

Gulliver - 12-24-2015 at 04:57 PM

We'll see what my schedule is like. The Batos Locos based out of the shop are heading up to the Mission Guadalupe area on either the first or second Sunday in January. After riding with them I'm usually pretty knackered for a few days! Wild and crazy.

But after I get my company back on the plane I'll see. Thanks for asking.

willyAirstream - 12-24-2015 at 05:14 PM

ok, great.

Yes, that will be quite a trip, so far we have a bunch of motos, 3 cars and a rzr or 2. Everyone is welcome. Will confirm the date after New Years day. Here is a pic from our last trip to San Juanico.

11220117_10205726750022747_2953309642484445536_n.jpg - 125kB

Gulliver - 12-24-2015 at 05:29 PM

I thought it was for Jan/Feb 2017. Different trip?

Daniel and Pac were talking about a short day run up the Mission and to check out the West end of the Guadalupe to Magdalena washout. Maybe I've got my wires crossed. Again.

Danged if I recognize where that picture was taken.

willyAirstream - 12-24-2015 at 05:53 PM

The 2017 trip is by Ged. Different gig. I am talking about the short trip to the west end of Guadalupe the first part of January, same as you. The pic above is from our July San Juanico trip, foto east of San Isidro about 20km. This is the same group going to Guadalupe, the guys from taller Bukovech, San Marcos and Santa Rosalia. Victor, Javier and Penguino will be in bugs and buggies. Just to confuse you, the Comondu trip will be late Jan or early Feb, depending on how many are going to the Bahia LA race. One week is all we need for planning :)

Gulliver - 12-24-2015 at 06:00 PM

Ah. I think. So this later trip is a loop over Raymondo and then back to Mulege via Isidro and maybe Commundu? One day? Two?

I'll see how I feel after this next run. To make the run from here to San Isidro I'll put on a different front sprocket and swap down and up at Isidro going each way. Takes me ten minutes.

Right now I just got back from some exploring just North of us and am working hard to stay awake. Creak. Groan.

willyAirstream - 12-24-2015 at 06:19 PM

Comondu trip= mulege south on hwy to km 61, then San Isidro, Comondu, San Javier, Loreto, return on hwy. Overnight in Comondu or SJ. Last trip was 36 people

David K - 12-24-2015 at 07:01 PM

So much Baja... so little time!

Gulliver - 12-24-2015 at 07:46 PM

Hmm. A lot of highway miles for my poor butt. And the Commundu to San Javier leg is yet to be checked out. We'll see.

Maybe I'm just tired tonight.

motoged - 12-25-2015 at 01:17 PM

Nomads,
Good to see so much interest in this area recently....

Yes, my suggestion a few weeks ago remains alive for a 2-4 day run in early January, 2017....all this current interest will certainly give us some updates for sections....

For those doing it sooner....send pics :coolup: