BajaNomad

Dakar off road race

Pages:  1  

cliffh - 12-24-2015 at 04:06 PM

Can't find US coverage, only MX sat. so far. thanks Cliff

Yea - what the heck?

John M - 12-24-2015 at 04:16 PM

NBC sports and CBS Sports - nothing listed we could fine. Dakar site was no help. help. help?

I'd hate to miss this. Race Dezert has some stuff but I couldn't find daily coverage info.

John M

willardguy - 12-24-2015 at 05:23 PM

I see it on directv NBCsports (220) beginning on the 4th at 5:30et

[Edited on 12-25-2015 by willardguy]

KurtG - 12-24-2015 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I see it on directv NBCsports (220) beginning on the 4th at 5:30et

[Edited on 12-25-2015 by willardguy]

Yup, got it set to record.

cliffh - 12-25-2015 at 09:03 AM

hope Dish comes through, as Direct is almost impossible to receive in the east cape

willardguy - 12-25-2015 at 12:23 PM

:no: maybe if we had more than eight entries we could garner a little more media attention?
I'll probably just follow it on RDC...

Hook - 12-26-2015 at 11:23 AM

This is the sixth year of being thousands of miles and a complete ocean away from Paris and Dakar. Isn't it time to change the name?

BTW, how did the participants manage the crossing of the Straits of Gibraltar, in the pre 2009 years?

mcnut - 12-26-2015 at 12:41 PM

Ferry. The 1st stage was for euro press, sponsors and spectators after which they all grouped together to be ferried across so the real rally could begin.

Bruce

Hook - 12-26-2015 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mcnut  
Ferry. The 1st stage was for euro press, sponsors and spectators after which they all grouped together to be ferried across so the real rally could begin.

Bruce

So, however long it took you between Paris and Gibraltar, they would record your arrival time and then everyone would be staggered by the time differentials when they all got off the ferry in Morocco?

msteve1014 - 12-26-2015 at 01:24 PM

They started the next day in finishing order from the first stage, and the same every day after that.

Mike Kay - 12-29-2015 at 10:21 PM

I raced the last europe to dakar "Dakar Rally" in '07. I remember the ferry crossing well. We had two stages in europe, both in Portugal. The second stage went thru the hills in south of the country, then we had a several hundred mile 'liason' or 'transfer setion' that was not timed. In fact motorcycles had the option of not riding at all, but being transported on that section thru Spain. We had been given a check in time for the boat, and approaching Malaga, the port we hit horrible traffic. The van transporting several of us and bikes pulled over on the side of the freeway, we quickly unloaded the bikes and zipped thru traffic for 20-30 miles finding our way to the boat, crowds lining the streets in the city center. Turns out the bikes got loaded after many cars so we all waited in a large group. I remember Robby Gordon pulling up beside the bikes and yelling out his window he was sorry for hitting the bike earlier....anyway we each eventually rode into the cavernous ferry and then went upstairs for a room voucher. It was a total cluster f. I saw Chris Blaise sitting in a corner of a crowded room working on his roll chart...next stop Africa and the desert. We ate and found 2 nervous French dudes in our tiny 4 beds room, very basic but enough. A bed was welcome. Sadly the French dudes got up a couple hours later and nervously went thru their things for hourse, preventing much sleep. We ate and then went down, pushed the bikes out into the cold, very cold night and waited for the start. It would be 2 days and a couple tragedies until we got any sleep....the Dakar Rally. Its a dream for many, and for most who go and dont finish, there is a kind of nightmare aspect to it. But man oh man crossing that part of the sahara was something i will never forget. What a desert. Just a Dakar flashback, tiss the season!

ehall - 12-30-2015 at 07:23 AM

wow Mike. What an experience that must of been.

PaulW - 12-31-2015 at 05:39 PM

Root for the home guys
The American contingent:
Ian Blythe - KTM - Team ICO / Rally Panam
Scott Bright - KTM- Team ICO / Rally Panam
Alexander Smith - Team Husky
C.R. Gittere - Team Husky
Ricky Brabec - HRC Honda
Joe Janus - navigator in UK based big truck team (Rally Raid UK)
Robby Gordon / Kellon Walch - Gordini
Sheldon Creed / Jonah Street - Gordini

ehall - 12-31-2015 at 06:13 PM

I'm looking for brabec to get some podium time.

[Edited on 1-1-2016 by ehall]

wessongroup - 12-31-2015 at 09:55 PM

Thanks for sharing ... some race :):)

willardguy - 12-31-2015 at 10:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I'm looking for brabec to get some podium time.

[Edited on 1-1-2016 by ehall]

bold and wishful thinking....sign me up! in reality I think we could see a red bike on the box but.....lets race:bounce:

ehall - 1-1-2016 at 08:33 AM

Alexander maybe? That would be awesome.

willardguy - 1-1-2016 at 11:09 AM

Alexander maybe? That would be awesome.

oh man would it ever! Malcolm's boy on the box!
most seem to picking Barreda, hey, anything could happen right?:coolup:

everyone gettin giddy?

ehall - 1-1-2016 at 12:22 PM

Going to miss the rivalry between Coma and Barreda.

willardguy - 1-2-2016 at 03:04 PM

hey guys here's the link to live tracking http://www.trackingdakar.nl/

just getting started and rumors of a deadly accident, car into crowd :(

no details yet

on edit.......
Mini #360 ran into the audience. 8 people injured 3 of them are hurt badly. (last info of locals)
Prologue is cancelled for the cars and trucks

[Edited on 1-2-2016 by willardguy]

willardguy - 1-2-2016 at 03:51 PM

ricky brabec a very respectable 22nd!

chuckie - 1-2-2016 at 04:00 PM

Gordinis at 13 and 37 with 5 yet to finish....

willardguy - 1-2-2016 at 04:21 PM

race has been cancelled, they'll restart tomorrow. latest update......

Last update from C5N: 11 people injured. 6 adults, 5 kids. 3 of them (2 kids, 1 adult) injured badly

:(

chuckie - 1-3-2016 at 09:44 AM

Todays stage (sunday) cancelled due to rain...If they neutralized yesterdays stage, we are back at all even....

willardguy - 1-3-2016 at 10:14 AM

talk about a rough start at dakar! yesterdays prologue, not really a stage but to determine starting positions today stopped after the accident now they're saying no helicopters-no racing.
geeze hope the weather improves! :o

surfhat - 1-3-2016 at 12:15 PM

It is well past the time that this race should be renamed. Too bad the desert locals have prevented the race ever since it had to be moved to South America, but to keep the name Dakar, is well past its relevance.

This past year, that all womens race through the Moroccan and Libyan ? desert gave hope that something close to the original could be resurrected but that road to Dakar will not be coming back.

Those were such an adventure, I never missed one being broadcast.

I have my DVR set to record every show this week on NBC sports.

I am bummed Cox does not give me the CBS sports channel, so I miss all of those and I am not going to pay them any more than I already do.

I look forward to the day when I can do away with Cox entirely and stream everything I want. That day is coming and it can't come soon enough. Thanks to all here. Happy New Year!

PaulW - 1-3-2016 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
It is well past the time that this race should be renamed. Too bad the desert locals have prevented the race ever since it had to be moved to South America, but to keep the name Dakar, is well past its relevance.

This past year, that all womens race through the Moroccan and Libyan ? desert gave hope that something close to the original could be resurrected but that road to Dakar will not be coming back.

Those were such an adventure, I never missed one being broadcast.

I am bummed Cox does not give me the CBS sports channel, so I miss all of those and I am not going to pay them any more than I already do.

I look forward to the day when I can do away with Cox entirely and stream everything I want. That day is coming and it can't come soon enough. Thanks to all here. Happy New Year!

======
Be happy. Keep Cox for your Interned and get Dish or Direct for TV viewing.

willardguy - 1-3-2016 at 06:36 PM

anyone with SKY seeing any coverage on FOX sports3?

chuckie - 1-4-2016 at 07:12 AM

Todays stage shortened as well..Rain and flooding...

willardguy - 1-4-2016 at 10:07 AM

:fire: alright move this thing to june!

rts551 - 1-4-2016 at 12:25 PM

anyone with SKY seeing any coverage on FOX sports3?

Yes...and another sports channel as well.

Ken Cooke - 1-4-2016 at 12:25 PM

Charter - channel 410 NBCSP :cool:

willardguy - 1-4-2016 at 12:44 PM

british eurosports1 is streaming it but I can't figure out the time differential :( (2:30 directv NBCsn)

Ken Cooke - 1-4-2016 at 12:58 PM

If Robby Gordon's Hummer got stuck, I can't wait to see what happens to all of the Mini Coopers on the race course!:lol:

willardguy - 1-4-2016 at 01:03 PM

those Gordini's are 2WD! Mini's! heck this is the year of Pug's and Toyota's! :P

Ken Cooke - 1-4-2016 at 01:31 PM

Probably to keep them easier to build/fabricate. It will be funny watching the stuck 2WDs on this "Off Road" course.

willardguy - 1-4-2016 at 02:22 PM

less moving parts,less weight,more HP,more travel........if it just wasn't for the MUD! :lol:

chuckie - 1-4-2016 at 02:52 PM

Robby wasn't stuck too long..he is 22nd, only 17 minutes off the pace...

Udo - 1-4-2016 at 03:06 PM

I set my DVR on DTV, and it shows at least 20 episodes are set to record.

chuckie - 1-4-2016 at 03:52 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaah So?

willardguy - 1-4-2016 at 04:02 PM

I thought it was good!:D

chuckie - 1-4-2016 at 04:23 PM

Me too...looking forward to all of it....

chuckie - 1-4-2016 at 04:45 PM

And Alexander has his Dads goofy grin....

willardguy - 1-4-2016 at 05:27 PM

:lol: its almost scary!

chuckie - 1-4-2016 at 05:46 PM

Yes..

meandmalcolm.jpg - 69kB

TMW - 1-4-2016 at 08:58 PM

british eurosports1 is streaming it but I can't figure out the time differential :( (2:30 directv NBCsn)

It was on Direct TV here at 2:30pm PT today.

willardguy - 1-5-2016 at 11:42 AM

a good day in argentina!
(before they hand down penalties)

16th for robby
23rd for sheldon
17th for ricky
:D

Romano - 1-6-2016 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
If Robby Gordon's Hummer got stuck, I can't wait to see what happens to all of the Mini Coopers on the race course!:lol:

Robby is not in a Hummer. The Gordini is a completely new car.

chuckie - 1-6-2016 at 02:40 PM

Creed 8th Gordon 18th...good day for the USA

willardguy - 1-6-2016 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Creed 8th Gordon 18th...good day for the USA

and ricky brabec with a NINTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

Dakar fluff

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2016 at 05:48 PM

The Dakar program good, but has too much filler for its 30 minute parameters to handle. I know most American's don't care for rallys in the European sense, but after seeing how well they can be presented for the European viewer, NBCSP's version is garbage.

1. Todays ATV action just got going with less than 5 minutes remaining on the program. :?:

2. Drivers attempting to speak on campera during impromptu interviews that could have been handled more fluidly with an interpreter or subtitles.

3. Almost no footage of the Russian trucks - except for one burning on the side of the road.

4. Almost no actual race footage until after the American driver/rider spotlights.

Everyday, the Dakar rally plays for less than 30 minutes, focus is mainly on where the American riders come from - although, the winning riders of each stage have barely a mention. NBCSP needs to scrap one of their Football talk programs and expand Dakar to 1 hour-daily. Provide more mention during their other motorsports programs to draw up more interest, and focus more on the race and the action and less on unfortunate incidents (people getting hit, mud swallowing the cars, etc.) or interviewees that don't have much to say.

Look at what the Spanish media were able to come up with

willardguy - 1-6-2016 at 06:10 PM

"Look at what the Spanish media were able to come up with"

a nine minute long Peugeot commercial, yeah thats better! :rolleyes:

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2016 at 06:17 PM

"Look at what the Spanish media were able to come up with"

a nine minute long Peugeot commercial, yeah thats better! :rolleyes:

Instead of merely talking about "sand dunes", this crew actually went to Morocco to show the actual conditions. Everything about the Dakar 2016 is handled like a cheap (American) football highlight.

willardguy - 1-6-2016 at 06:28 PM

im not following you ken, who cares about morocco? thats like tuning into the baja1000 and watching action from the mint?

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2016 at 06:45 PM

im not following you ken, who cares about morocco? thats like tuning into the baja1000 and watching action from the mint?

Do you see what I mean? The people at NBCSP have some educating to do! :light:

willardguy - 1-6-2016 at 07:04 PM

lol...this from the guy that thinks robby still drives a hummer?
look, we would all like to see better, longer dakar coverage, maybe you could convince jeep to join the fray and get norte americano's more involved in rally raid racing?

Udo - 1-6-2016 at 07:09 PM

I agree with willard, and definitely ½ hour is not enough!

But do you think that NBCSN reads Nomads?

Dakar links

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2016 at 11:05 PM

I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but when a decent program gets tepid (at best) media coverage, it can be a little frustrating. I don't care much for team sports - just dirt sports. But, 30 minutes?? Seriously???

Dakar media links:

https://www.youtube.com/user/dakar
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2015/us/worldwide-tv-dakar.html - Every day live on France 4 from 6:35 pm
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2015/us/mobile-application.html - Dakar smartphone app
http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2014/01/06/dakar-rally-stre...

[Edited on 1-7-2016 by Ken Cooke]

chuckie - 1-7-2016 at 07:54 AM

Its called the "Dakar" ..There are no hummers...It's not in Morocco ..theres not much fan interest in the US=not much coverage. There you have it...Stop whining and enjoy what you have...

Ken Cooke - 1-7-2016 at 08:30 AM

Its called the "Dakar" ..There are no hummers...It's not in Morocco ..theres not much fan interest in the US=not much coverage. There you have it...Stop whining and enjoy what you have...

Yes sir!

chuckie - 1-7-2016 at 08:45 AM

Thanks...GO USA!

willardguy - 1-7-2016 at 01:51 PM

same weather in argentina as in northern baja, good thing Sheldon had the right tool to fix his broken windshield wipers!

chuckie - 1-7-2016 at 02:00 PM

Where did you find that pic? Kool!

willardguy - 1-7-2016 at 02:08 PM

Where did you find that pic? Kool!

our friends over at RDC!

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/dakar-2016-stage-5-...

chuckie - 1-7-2016 at 03:50 PM

WHOA! Robby Gordon, in todays interview....."I doubt you will see me back".....

Ken Cooke - 1-7-2016 at 04:04 PM

Thanks...GO USA!

It looks like Robbie Gordon is going to "re-think" his Dakar program after this year? That didn't sound promising. Without an American NASCAR and SCORE driver, it will be up to Alexander Smith to bring the American viewers next year.

willardguy - 1-7-2016 at 04:27 PM

we'll see......but probably won't see the gordini back.....the pugs have changed everything!

chuckie - 1-7-2016 at 04:49 PM

Robby was pretty specific about the Pugs, not being what he called a "stock" motor. And unhappy about what he considered an unfair penalty. Part of all that is just Robby..The cost of that program if he had to repower with a Hitec Diesel to be competitive would be enormous..I wonder how deep the pockets are of the Smith's......

willardguy - 1-7-2016 at 05:00 PM

yeah and this statement came after yesterdays stage, I bet robby's feeling a little better about his program today....dontchathink?

and on edit......looks like a stock peugeot to me! :lol:

[Edited on 1-8-2016 by willardguy]

chuckie - 1-7-2016 at 05:33 PM

I think ours looks like that..I'd go check but my daughter took it to the grocery store..

msteve1014 - 1-8-2016 at 05:07 PM

And just how "stock" can a Gordini be ?

Robby is always crying about something.

He is going to have to rethink competing against factory teams with deep pockets and not complaining.

chuckie - 1-8-2016 at 06:08 PM

UH? What?

Udo - 1-8-2016 at 07:28 PM

If Robbie could run his trophy truck in Dakar, he would. I would be complaining about the stock Pug motors also.

chuckie - 1-9-2016 at 09:23 AM

"Production" motor is the operative word...

willardguy - 1-9-2016 at 02:10 PM

what the.....am I reading this right? they've completely pulled the plug on the motorcycles!!! they're sending them all to the finish line, conditions just to harsh! :(

chuckie - 1-9-2016 at 02:17 PM

YUP..on this stage...

motoged - 1-9-2016 at 02:21 PM

Gosh Darnit All....up here in the frozen wastelands of British Columbia it seems pretty much impossible to find any TV coverage....unless a person were to have a satellite dish or some such secret code/handshake.

Youtube is sparse and dez racing sites are minimal...

I remember the good ol' days when the commentator was British (NOT Joe Rogan :rolleyes: ) and there was daily coverage over the duration of the Rally.

Rather proper, I would say :biggrin:

willardguy - 1-9-2016 at 02:54 PM

well, gotta admit ricky brabec was amazing in his first dakar.....maybe robby's got another stage win in him? and how about sheldon!
there's always next year!:coolup:

[Edited on 1-10-2016 by willardguy]

Ken Cooke - 1-9-2016 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Gosh Darnit All....up here in the frozen wastelands of British Columbia it seems pretty much impossible to find any TV coverage....unless a person were to have a satellite dish or some such secret code/handshake.

Try this

http://stream.nbcsports.com/nbcsn/?pid=15801&referrer=ht...

[Edited on 1-9-2016 by Ken Cooke]

ehall - 1-9-2016 at 05:48 PM

Does anyone else believe Sebastian Loeb was told to slow down?

willardguy - 1-9-2016 at 05:59 PM

Does anyone else believe Sebastian Loeb was told to slow down?

by who, the Mini team? :lol:

ehall - 1-9-2016 at 06:04 PM

Team orders? By every team but Peugeot? Lol. Been watching Loeb for a long time. I expected him to win .

surfhat - 1-10-2016 at 01:14 PM

These shows have to be the fastest half hour on TV with them cramming each show into a half hour slot.

An hour long show would barely be enough, but 5 or minutes of the trucks and quads is a bummer. To devote 15 minutes to each class would barely be enough but much better than what we are being given. Actually with an hour, each segment would amount to maybe 12 minutes with commercials. Is this too much to hope for?

Peugeot sure seems to be shaking things up and good on them, even if Robbie needs to rethink his participating. I, for one, hope he comes back with a better competitive vehicle next time. Live and learn and stop your wining. There are bunch of us that root for you to do well, in spite of your complaining about the competition that is smoking you.

Next time, lets see a new gordini from you that can outshine the others. Naturally aspirated at 15,000 ft should tell you something.

chuckie - 1-10-2016 at 04:03 PM

You are pretty funny...I bet when you get your program and funding together, it'll get done right....and Green Bay shoulda thrown on that last 3rd....

Ken Cooke - 1-10-2016 at 04:37 PM

An hour long show would barely be enough, but 5 or minutes of the trucks and quads is a bummer. To devote 15 minutes to each class would barely be enough but much better than what we are being given.

NBCSP should sacrifice 'Phil Collins', 'John Denver', and 'Hee Haw' and I bet nobody would be the wiser.:cool:

willardguy - 1-10-2016 at 04:52 PM

biggest baddest offroad race in the world....what do we got,two homemade cars and five bikes representing the USA?
we're lucky to get a half hour! :(

[Edited on 1-11-2016 by willardguy]

Ken Cooke - 1-10-2016 at 05:09 PM

biggest baddest offroad race in the world....what do we got,two cars and five bikes representing the USA?
we're lucky to get a half hour! :(

You're right. I think about what Lance Armstrong did for the cycling sport - prior to the doping scandal. Where is BJ Baldwin? He'd take no prisoners in the Bolivian highlands!

willardguy - 1-10-2016 at 05:18 PM

lol.....Bryce, BJ,Tavo, RG.....all doing donuts and jumpin over chit, creating a bunch of dust, while we get our a$$es handed to us by Peugeot's and Hilux's :lol:

sign me up!

chuckie - 1-10-2016 at 05:20 PM

up, it's too bad but we don't get coverage on the ISDE or Enduro scene either...

chuckie - 1-11-2016 at 09:34 AM

The Gordinis have, in the last hour or so, dropped almost off the page..from 11th 18th to 87 th and going backwards..WASSUP?????

willardguy - 1-11-2016 at 10:27 AM

The Gordinis have, in the last hour or so, dropped almost off the page..from 11th 18th to 87 th and going backwards..WASSUP?????

from RDC.

RG had pulley issues early and it was eating up belts. The pulley was new yesterday.

Creed stopped before CP1 with a missing wheel.

chuckie - 1-11-2016 at 10:58 AM

Also said, Fuel pump, robbed parts from Creed....And maybe suspicions confirmed? Pugs swapped to smaller turbos prior to Tech check...

Udo - 1-11-2016 at 11:34 AM

Let's see what today's program shows.

Sebastian Loeb rolls!

Ken Cooke - 1-11-2016 at 07:38 PM

[Edited on 1-12-2016 by Ken Cooke]

dtbushpilot - 1-11-2016 at 09:24 PM

https://www.facebook.com/dakar/videos/1045179858874654/

This dude is my new hero....

mcnut - 1-12-2016 at 12:29 AM

I have to agree with that, simply amazing he and the bike were able to continue!

Bruce

chuckie - 1-13-2016 at 06:19 AM

Neither Gordini showed up on yesterdays finisher list? And no mention in the commentary...

ehall - 1-13-2016 at 07:46 AM

Heard Sheldon Creed has been disqualified. Rally is over for him.

chuckie - 1-13-2016 at 09:28 AM

Aw Geez!

ehall - 1-14-2016 at 07:01 PM

Brabec is doing great!
 Pages:  1