BajaNomad

New warnings re:collapse of new beltway & Scenic Hwy. btw TJ-Ensenada

Whale-ista - 12-31-2015 at 10:52 AM

Something to think about this El Niño season as you plan to travel south.

Be sure to check on road conditions before passing through this area.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Warning registered on road's instability

Baja California's scenic toll road between Tijuana and Ensenada is at risk of another major collapse similar to or worse than one that occurred on December 28, 2013, a scientific expert has warned.

Luis Alberto Delgado Argote, an investigator with the geography department for the division of earth sciences at the Centro de Investigación Científica y de Educación Superior de Ensenada (Cicese), was cited as the source for the claim in a December 21 story in La Jornada de Baja California.

The federal agency responsible for inspecting the highway, Caminos y Puentes Federales de Ingresos, has ignored the presence of multiple active zones where the earth is shifting, according to the geologist.

In addition, said Delgado Argote, a beltway constructed around Ensenada six years ago by the state could cause major landslides if there is heavy rainfall as expected this winter because “there is no evidence that they performed geological studies before they began the work.”

Scientists from CICESE have been warning federal highway officials of the danger of a disastrous collapse along the highway since 2006, but they were ignored until the 2013 disaster, according to La Jornada.

The roadway, known for its spectacular seaside views, remained closed for nearly a year while repairs were made after the landslide.

English:
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2015/dec/24/stringers-war...

Spanish article: http://www.jornadabc.mx/tijuana/21-12-2015/escenica-en-alto-...

[Edited on 12-31-2015 by Whale-ista]

micah202 - 12-31-2015 at 10:58 AM

....is this a surprise to anyone who's ever driven that section??

[Edited on 12-31-2015 by micah202]

Whale-ista - 12-31-2015 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

....is this a surprise to anyone who's ever driven that section??

[Edited on 12-31-2015 by micah202]

No surprise - just a heads up warning to newbies who may be planning a trip south this winter and have heard the road was "repaired" after the last collapse.

I want travelers to know: driving the highways in Baja, even during good weather, can be a challenge. This winter, well... be prepared for the unexpected and possibly disastrous.

FWIW, I used to make this "commute" often, between homes in San Diego and San Miguel (north of Ensenada). I drove it on a weekly basis, or more often depending on work schedules. (I was teaching part time in San Diego, and married to a CICESE marine geologist who was working on projects at Scripps in La Jolla, and still does research at CICESE.)

His remarks about this area opened my eyes to the dangers.

Drives into Baja during the 1997 El Niño were real eye openers. We had first-hand views of the "free" road collapse at various place north of Ensenada, and the wash-outs of several bridges to the south, near San Quintin and El Rosario.

I wish everyone safe travel this winter.

micah202 - 12-31-2015 at 11:17 AM

''In addition, said Delgado Argote, a beltway constructed around Ensenada six years ago by the state could cause major landslides if there is heavy rainfall as expected this winter because “there is no evidence that they performed geological studies before they began the work.”

...I usually have an intended stop in Ensenada,, only recently heard about this 'beltway',, Is it in full use nowadays?

bajaguy - 12-31-2015 at 11:31 AM

Hahaha...no. Only goes about 5 miles and one exit is usable to access Ensenada.

Another engineering/planning disaster. It was/is intended for truck traffic but only a two lane road, steep hillside cuts without stabilization and already erosion problems along shoulders.

If and or when they complete it, if not before, it will need to be rebuilt to the same exacting standards they are using now

''In addition, said Delgado Argote, a beltway constructed around Ensenada six years ago by the state could cause major landslides if there is heavy rainfall as expected this winter because “there is no evidence that they performed geological studies before they began the work.”

...I usually have an intended stop in Ensenada,, only recently heard about this 'beltway',, Is it in full use nowadays?

gsbotanico - 12-31-2015 at 12:34 PM

This section of the toll road has been unstable since it was built. It took a beating with the heavy rains in northern Baja in 1993 and 1995. I had a hair raising experience in 1995 in a very heavy downpour (at night!) driving this section. I couldn't turn around and just kept moving forward very slowly. There had been a lot of subsidence in different areas that had been quickly repaved, but it was up and down like a roller coaster. My fear was that there might be a sudden gap in front of me because of a landslide.

I was surprised at the speed of the most recent repairs. Because of the instability of the cliffs, any repair has to be looked at as "temporary." Any landslide will usually occurs after a long period of heavy rain. This would be the time to be aware of the road conditions.

Ateo - 12-31-2015 at 12:44 PM

Drove over it yesterday as quickly as possible. =)

Yeah, this Winter's El Nino storms will be a test of the new repairs.

Thanks for the article.

I wish they would build an entire bypass that would connect south of Maneadero. Gringo wishes.................and another bypass in San Q.

Happy New Year all.

willardguy - 12-31-2015 at 12:55 PM

I frequent the free road to ensenada but if this enormous rainfall comes to fruition, i'll take my chances with the toll road!

4x4abc - 12-31-2015 at 01:36 PM

the area will never be stabilized.

No engineer has yet come up with a solution.

The Potuguese Bend, Palos Verdes, Los Angles has the same problem.
your only chance is to live with it.

http://www.easyreadernews.com/53849/slip-sliding-away/

micah202 - 12-31-2015 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

....what is it about sand mountains at the seaside? :?::?:

4x4abc - 12-31-2015 at 01:52 PM

it's called nature, my dear. We are not the ones controlling it.

....what is it about sand mountains at the seaside? :?::?:

bajabuddha - 12-31-2015 at 02:06 PM

As my geologist friend always used to say, "Earth Happens". :smug:

micah202 - 12-31-2015 at 03:11 PM

it's called nature, my dear. We are not the ones controlling it.

aaah,,,thanks for clearing that up! :yawn::tumble::biggrin:

Bajahowodd - 12-31-2015 at 05:42 PM

The merchants, restauranteurs and hoteliers in Enseanada suffer for the ineptitude of the engineers

bajaguy - 12-31-2015 at 05:48 PM

I don't think it's the engineers or the geologists.........the push back is coming from Caminos y Puentes Federales de Ingresos y Servicios Conexos (CAPUFE) and the politicians who won't spend the money on a bypass because they want to maintain the "scenic route" along the coast.....and they also don't want to admit they are wrong. Typical response is to keep throwing money down a hole hoping for a different outcome.

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
The merchants, restauranteurs and hoteliers in Enseanada suffer for the ineptitude of the engineers

[Edited on 1-1-2016 by bajaguy]

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2015 at 11:47 PM

Oh, the solution is easy, the engineers can tell you how to permanently fix it. But no one can afford that cost.

So the band aid approach will continue, it is the cheapest solution.

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2015 at 11:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I don't think it's the engineers or the geologists.........the push back is coming from Caminos y Puentes Federales de Ingresos y Servicios Conexos (CAPUFE) and the politicians who won't spend the money on a bypass because they want to maintain the "scenic route" along the coast.....and they also don't want to admit they are wrong. Typical response is to keep throwing money down a hole hoping for a different outcome.

[Edited on 1-1-2016 by bajaguy]

I suspect it is cheaper to periodically throw money down the rabbit hole than to build a new 4 lane hwy along the interior bypass route.

David K - 1-1-2016 at 02:06 AM

It's about that ocean view.

The inland/ original/ free/ Camino Real route from La Misión to El Sauzal worked well for over 200 years... but no ocean view back there.

Bajahowodd - 1-1-2016 at 05:47 PM

No one can dispute that the ocean view in those last several miles is world class. But, if the highway continues to fail, the merchants of Ensenada will suffer.

Aldervale - 1-2-2016 at 07:41 AM

Hola

What is an easy way for us to check on the road conditions as we near the crossing?

Is there an online road check for BCN ?

Gracias !

Aldervale

Road conditions

bajaguy - 1-2-2016 at 08:40 AM

The best place is right here on Baja Nomad

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Hola

What is an easy way for us to check on the road conditions as we near the crossing?

Gracias !

Aldervale

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2016 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
The best place is right here on Baja Nomad

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Hola

Gracias !

Aldervale

You really don't need to 'check' road conditions. Things are pretty static, the road is about the same day to day, month to month, year to year,....
The only thing that changes is the positions of the dead cows and burros,... Every trip the dead bodies are in different places, someone is moving the bodies!

chuckie - 1-2-2016 at 09:01 AM

The missing ones turn into Machaca....

Bajahowodd - 1-2-2016 at 04:18 PM

Simple fact is that if you are heading South, if there is a failure of the road, there will be signage that takes you off the scenic road, and back to the old inland road.

No reason to cancel a trip.

micah202 - 1-2-2016 at 04:50 PM

Simple fact is that if you are heading South, if there is a failure of the road, there will be signage that takes you off the scenic road, and back to the old inland road.

......unless it happens under you :o:O

wessongroup - 1-2-2016 at 05:44 PM

^^ The true starting point of "risk" assessment :):)

One could use the last "slippage" as the reference point ...to start the risk assessment ... would appear at first blush the risk is somewhat low ... compared to 18 wheeler's, drunk drivers, horses, cattle et al .. on Mex 1

Keep alert ... you will be ok most of the time even if ya don't lower your tire pressure :biggrin::biggrin:

Enjoy the "view" ... while you can

[Edited on 1-3-2016 by wessongroup]

Udo - 1-2-2016 at 08:52 PM

I just returned from Ensenada today, (01/02/2016).

I drove the toll road north and South three times (between La Mision and San Miguel, the last toll booth).

There is one area of the road, about 2 KM below the old land slide. There is a 50 meter section of the road that is cracked and repaved, and when driven slowly, you can see about a 10" road separation. There is no slide or road dip as was in the previous slide area, but the left lane shows some separation.