BajaNomad

Pta San Francisquito services

hombre66 - 1-2-2016 at 11:02 AM

If someone has recently been in to Pta SFO, I'd appreciate a report of any remaining services there, Most notably, freshwater/flush/shower service to the(possibly) remaining north restroom.Aware of the hit they took in storms. Have had snippets of info thru Nomads regarding occupancy/management in the past year, but it was all fairly vague sans the info needed.

honda tom - 1-2-2016 at 12:10 PM

stayed there in Nov. no hot water. toilets did flush. very limited menu.
20 per person with cot and bedding in cabana, 8 per person under palapa. next day went over to Beto's (large camp with the dock) .... Beto has hot water showers and has cabins with 3 beds for 45 bucs. bring your own food. he also has fuel (expensive).

4x4abc - 1-2-2016 at 12:17 PM

now, for the non Baja experts - where is Beto's?
Is it at Puerto San Francisquito?

KurtG - 1-2-2016 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
now, for the non Baja experts - where is Beto's?
Is it at Puerto San Francisquito?

The cove just to the north of the airstrip. When driving in go left to Beto's at Cala Francisquito or curve right to go to the San Francisquito airstrip.

David K - 1-2-2016 at 02:43 PM

Harald, in my 2012 trip report (link below in sig) I took pics of the signs at the entrance road to Beto's.

Edit: Here are the signs (in 2012) at the junction with Beto's and the resort roads:

[Edited on 1-3-2016 by David K]

4x4abc - 1-2-2016 at 02:51 PM

I will add it o my Baja knowledge

[Edited on 1-2-2016 by 4x4abc]

hombre66 - 1-2-2016 at 03:03 PM

honda tom thank you . This is the stuff I needed. Cove to the north also referred to as the Caleta

honda tom - 1-3-2016 at 12:33 PM

forgot to add..... you will need your own blankets/pillows at Beto's

hombre66 - 1-3-2016 at 03:27 PM

Honda tom, preciate again. We havent stayed in the cabanas since about 1995. Got campers and like staying on the beach. First trip in there was 1985, went back almost every year till 2001, and have lapsed ,I think, for about a decade. Glory days for fishing and hospitality are probably gone, but the beauty, and IMHO, one of the finest beaches, will always be there. Long, long drive.

AKgringo - 1-3-2016 at 05:19 PM

Hombre, I thought you were heading there in November, and I was looking forward to your update on the old info that I gave you back then.

What is your time frame for your next journey?

DK, I was there in October 2014, and I believe that those signs are past the entrance to where Beto has a shower facility, and a couple of camping spaces. I did not stay there, but was able to share road information with him, and get some ice for my cooler. That was not too long after Odile, and there was very little traffic into his camp.

David K - 1-3-2016 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Hombre, I thought you were heading there in November, and I was looking forward to your update on the old info that I gave you back then.

What is your time frame for your next journey?

DK, I was there in October 2014, and I believe that those signs are past the entrance to where Beto has a shower facility, and a couple of camping spaces. I did not stay there, but was able to share road information with him, and get some ice for my cooler. That was not too long after Odile, and there was very little traffic into his camp.

Those are the signs (or were) at the entrance to either Beto's (left) or Punta San Francisquito Resort (right). We did not drive into Beto's because those signs were very un-hospitable. However, the resort was just as inhospitable. The two employees had the satellite TV on watching a soap opera or ? and didn't try to invite us to stay, eat, buy a beer. It was hot and windy outside. Asked about business and the answer was "nobody comes here in the summer" (in Spanish). Well, we were there... would have had tacos and beers. On to Bahía San Rafael and Pancho's for some good Baja friendly welcome.

hombre66 - 1-3-2016 at 07:38 PM

AK, check your email. DK, management info about PSFO helps as well. The present caretakers couldn't have been as salty as Genaro back a few decades.
DK: what's the recent skinny on San Raphael? Spent a week there one year when the road was washed out to SF and had the experience of a lifetime.

David K - 1-3-2016 at 11:19 PM

Hi hombre,
My last experience is limited to driving to San Rafael (no ph in Spanish) in July 2012 and finding Pancho not home, and his place was looking all locked up. We went the two miles north to the beach and camped there the night. It was great... all the coyotes didn't bother us, either.

hombre66 - 1-4-2016 at 09:16 AM

Thanks DK. Youre saying the fishcamp at SR is no more developed than it was , say, 20 years ago?

David K - 1-4-2016 at 09:32 AM

What we saw in July 2012 was the home of Pancho on the right and several closed, unoccupied shacks/ rooms for fishermen or soldiers or ?? on the left.

Other Nomads, including Bajaboy or elgatoloco may have more and newer data than I.

Pacifico - 1-4-2016 at 10:03 AM

Hombre, I have a place there over by Beto's. Check in with Beto if you want to stay over by the bay. He has a nice cabana down by the water. He has nice bathrooms and showers too. Even if you camp over on the beach side, I'm sure you could use his showers and bathrooms for a small fee, although you would have to travel over there. (An ATV makes it easy). He is one of the nicest guys you will find in Baja. His entrance is now gated to keep the cows out...just close the gate behind you.

As far as the old "resort" on the beach, it has seen better times. The best I have seen it was back in the 90's when Javier and Chary ran the place. I had a storage locker there for years when Genaro was there. Now Juan, Mingo, Rosa, and Lionel run the place. They have rebuilt and repaired some of the damage caused by the earthquake and then the hurricane. They are limited by what the owners in Mexico City, I am told, give them - which isn't much. Sounds like you have spent some time there...we have probably ran into each other!

San Rafael has lost some beach recently, so there isn't as much beach for camping. I have seen that beach come and go over the years. There was a lot of pangueros there at one time, however last time I was there (Oct. or Nov.?) they were all gone and only Pancho was there. The place was nice and clean compared to in the past.

When are you heading down?

Alm - 1-4-2016 at 11:30 AM

Beto's is exactly in the bay of PSF.
Resorts - if this can be called a "resort" - are in the open, around the corner to the South.
Nice beaches posted by David are not in PSF but pretty far to the North, near San Rafael. Still the same as 12-15 years ago. Same dump site in the arroyo.

[Edited on 1-4-2016 by Alm]

AKgringo - 1-4-2016 at 03:03 PM

This is year old information again, but when I was last in there, there was a sign on the main road directing me to take a not so great road, around the south end of the runway to get to the storm damaged 'resort'. That was probably close to a mile before Beto's camp, and access to the north end of the runway.

I was the only non resident in the area, but the people at the restaurant cheerfully opened up and cooked for me, and served some surprisingly good coffee!

I tried (and failed) to drive a near the beach road back to the bay to the north, but back tracked to the runway and found a road next to it to get to Beto's camp. I am not sure if it would be passable after a heavy rain event!

I found Beto to be very helpful, and enjoyed talking to him. I did not stay there because I had just left San Rafael, and was on my way to Bahia Asuncion. Maybe next time!

Hombre, check your U2U

David K - 8-11-2016 at 04:16 PM

Is there anything more recent on Punta San Francisquito services, accommodations, camping facilities? Thank you!

JZ - 12-11-2016 at 08:03 PM

Anyone have GPS coordinates for Beto's place?

Bajazly - 12-11-2016 at 10:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Anyone have GPS coordinates for Beto's place?

It's on the north end of the runway. If you look on google earth there is a big cove, at the north end of the runway, facing almost due north and at the bottom of that cove there is a very geometric almost mad made looking inlet, that is Beto's.

JZ - 12-11-2016 at 11:26 PM

Got it. We are going down soon. Will check it out.

David K - 12-12-2016 at 09:29 AM

I just got this email, of interest to this topic:

Hola David,

My name is Zimran, and while I don't believe we know each other, I believe you know my father, Alberto "Beto" Lucero, from Puerto San Francisquito, B.C. I left Baja to work abroad back in 2001, but I try to visit my father whenever I get a chance.

I happened to stumble across the BajaNomad forum today, and I'm happy to see that people are gearing up and traveling back to Baja more frequently; I'm actually planning a trip to go down to visit my father for Christmas through NY's, and I was curious if you knew anyone who might also be traveling at the same time—I'm always happy to show folks Baja!

Wishing you a fantastic day!

Best,

Zimran Lucero