BajaNomad

Snow On Diablo

PaulW - 1-8-2016 at 09:10 AM

1.8.16 Diablo pics
After a rain yesterday and a temp of 41F this morning. Here is the snow on Diablo

Still happening near San Matias under the cloud

[Edited on 1-8-2016 by PaulW] Got the year correct , but had to fix the month Ha

[Edited on 1-8-2016 by PaulW]

Ateo - 1-8-2016 at 09:13 AM

Nice. Snow level got down pretty far, it appears.

TMW - 1-8-2016 at 09:21 AM

Fresh snow in the mountains is a beautiful thing to see, especially up close.

PaulW - 1-8-2016 at 09:24 AM

I guess I will stay away for Lugna Diablo and its mud for the time being.

David K - 1-8-2016 at 09:35 AM

I was down there in January one year when the snow came down onto the mountain just west of town (Cerro Kino?). I would guess down to about 2,000 ft. level. That was in 1986, I think?

Whale-ista - 1-8-2016 at 10:20 AM

Wow- gorgeous! Thanks for the update.

Let's hope the snow melt is helpful- not harmful- to the downhill communities, and that the wells are recharged for the ranches, farms and towns.

Related: Thanks to the rains a few months ago, there are already many flowers appearing in Baja. This is one of the earliest I've seen boojums (cirrios) flowering.

The agave stalks are looking especially healthy- I can see why historically they've been a good food source.

Enjoy the drive everyone! So much to see in Baja...

stiladam - 1-8-2016 at 01:21 PM

SkiBaja!

RIP JR

BigBearRider - 1-8-2016 at 09:25 PM

Picacho has been skied (almost):

http://www.powder.com/stories/skiing-as-craft/baja-ski-club/

AKgringo - 1-8-2016 at 10:03 PM

I was just kidding when I posted this reply the other day!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81511&got...

[Edited on 1-9-2016 by AKgringo]

BigBearRider - 1-8-2016 at 10:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I was just kidding when I posted this reply the other day!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81511&got...

[Edited on 1-9-2016 by AKgringo]

Funny. I always have snow chains in my car. I wonder if the Baja military guys think I'm crazy every time when I have to explain what they are.

AKgringo - 1-8-2016 at 11:13 PM

In February of 1986, my kids were home schooled for the spring semester in my Suburban, on a three month road trip through Baja and part of the mainland.

I put studded tires on for the trip down the Alcan, and probably should have swapped them out when I got to Northern CA, but I didn't. They draw a lot of attention on cobble stone streets! I had a couple of policemen signal me to stop, run their hands over the tires, and say "Que es eso?"

I would point to the Alaska plates, say "Para el hielo" and they would usually smile and wave me on. You don't hear a lot of studs SOB, and they were useless by the time I got back to Anchorage.

hombre66 - 1-9-2016 at 06:45 PM

Remember a bit of corn snow winter 98 at the highest area close to Catavinia. Hwy 1

David K - 1-9-2016 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Remember a bit of corn snow winter 98 at the highest area close to Catavinia. Hwy 1

From the chapter on Mission San Borja in the new book, coming soon:

The first snow Europeans observed in California was witnessed in December 1763 at Las Cabras. Located fourteen miles south of San Borja and over 4,200 feet in elevation, Las Cabras is where the mission’s cattle were brought to graze.