BajaNomad

CrossBorderExpress footbridge to TJ airport REPORT

El Jefe - 1-18-2016 at 09:38 AM

My wife used the footbridge to TJ airport today. Here is the scoop.

We got there at 6:30 AM in very light traffic. The facility was uncrowded as expected. Paula was flying with her friend Jennifer who had LOTS of luggage and a labradoodle in a big kennel, all for an extended stay in San Miguel de Allende. Paula was along to help get her settled and will do return trip in 10 days.

I parked in the pay lot, which ended up being free because I was there less than 30 minutes. There were carts available for the luggage so we loaded, and I mean loaded, up two carts. The dog Bubba was ok to walk for now. I accompanied the ladies into the terminal building where they got in a short line to buy tickets. There were some airline reps there to assist, but none from Interjet so the CBX agent helped them get ticketed etc. Paula got a round trip ticket since she has a return flight.

Next they got porters to help them push the load across the bridge. EZ Pz. At a certain point they were handed off to the porters on the Mexican side. The CBX porters would not accept tips, "all part of the service." Paula did tip the Mexican porters as one would expect. Bubba got to walk across the bridge, but once in the terminal he had to get in his crate. Took both gals and a porter to "coax" him in. Once in he accepted his fate with dignity.

The bridge takes you right to an immigration booth where you can do that business, and then you are off to check your bags and you are all set. Both ladies said it was wonderful. A great experience all around. The people who assisted them were all friendly and helpful. Five stars.

The only down side that I can see is that the long term parking lot looked pretty full at that time of the morning. There were spaces, but I wouldn't count on it. First come, first served. Lot is just too small. I don't know what one would do if there was no space available when it was time to fly. Too bad. Great if you have somebody to drop you off however.

So, all in all a great experience. Will make flying out of TJ a breeze.

Ateo - 1-18-2016 at 09:43 AM

Thanks for the scoop.

Additional parking

hdn2mx - 2-1-2016 at 04:34 AM

There are a few other places to park that aren't that far away from the CrossBorderExpress bridge. Just plan accordingly and you could drop off family or friends with luggage and then go park at a cheaper lot and get a ride back to the bridge. There are 2 lots very close to the Otay Mesa border that I use on a regular basis and there are taxis avail within a short walk. There is also a place to park where big trucks park, I think it's called Delta Truck, and they will give you a ride to either the border to walk across or the new bridge. Also, don't forget about Uber, another option to get a lift. Safe travels.
RT

El Jefe - 2-1-2016 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hdn2mx  
There are a few other places to park that aren't that far away from the CrossBorderExpress bridge. Just plan accordingly and you could drop off family or friends with luggage and then go park at a cheaper lot and get a ride back to the bridge. There are 2 lots very close to the Otay Mesa border that I use on a regular basis and there are taxis avail within a short walk. There is also a place to park where big trucks park, I think it's called Delta Truck, and they will give you a ride to either the border to walk across or the new bridge. Also, don't forget about Uber, another option to get a lift. Safe travels.
RT

Great ideas all. If you use Delta Truck parking you need a reservation for your car. Next time if I want to leave my car I think I will try to get a long term spot at CBX but will have the above options in my back pocket.

pacsur - 2-15-2016 at 01:21 PM

Has anybody used Uber from the crossing on the San Diego side?
Also has anybody found an easy way to get to the trolley in San Ysidro?
Thanks

elizabeth - 2-16-2016 at 06:24 AM

I used Uber to and from Point Loma. When the drivers drop someone off, they line up to see if they can get a fare back. As you leave the building, you will see a line of taxis and cars to your left. Watch out for the guy in the terminal building who has a sign advertising 20 dollar shuttle to SD. If you ask further he will tell you the 20 is only for four passengers, if you are solo it's 80!!! Uber was just under 30.

Borregoman - 3-2-2016 at 05:38 PM

I read on the Delta Truck site that you have to leave your car keys with them. I wasn't too keen on that idea.

woody with a view - 3-2-2016 at 05:43 PM

They need to move cars around occasionally. don't leave a gold ring on the dash and pay your insurance before you go.

no problems with Delta - ever!