BajaNomad

How To Buy Your FMM Online - Step By Step Guide

BajaGeoff - 1-22-2016 at 05:25 PM

The Mexican government recently launched an online application so you can buy and print out your FMM from home or office, then get it stamped at an INM office when you enter Mexico. It's very convenient to do online, but the application process is only available in Spanish at the moment. To help, we made a step-by-step guide with a courtesy translation into English to show how the process works.

You can view the guide here: How To Buy Your FMM Online

Bob and Susan - 1-22-2016 at 05:44 PM

that's a step in the right direction but...

if you STILL have to go to the office to get it stamped you might as well pay there too...

the office is open 24/7 in tj

and... is there a bank fee (from your bank) if you pay in pesos...
i'll bet there is...that would make the cost higher

Bajahowodd - 1-22-2016 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
that's a step in the right direction but...

if you STILL have to go to the office to get it stamped you might as well pay there too...

the office is open 24/7 in tj

and... is there a bank fee (from your bank) if you pay in pesos...
i'll bet there is...that would make the cost higher

Totally agree. The past few times we crossed at SY, the IMM officer allowed us to pay right there. And just in case there is a problem, the bank is in the same building. So, what's the big deal about the online thingy?

DENNIS - 1-22-2016 at 05:59 PM

I think Mexico should build a fence.

BajaGeoff - 1-22-2016 at 06:04 PM

Hahahaha Dennis!

It is a step in the right direction and will greatly expedite the process...especially for those traveling in large groups or families with children. I have crossed with a large group of 60 before and the process took several hours.

By having it already printed out, you will show your passport, get a stamp on the pre-printed FMM and be on your way.

TecateRay - 1-22-2016 at 09:22 PM

Not everywhere has "bank" service when Immigration is open. Tecate is a good example. Immigration yes - ability to pay no.

David K - 1-22-2016 at 09:31 PM

INM officers can take the money when bank window is closed. Mexicali west has no bank, INM has a cash box right where you get the FMMs.

akshadow - 1-22-2016 at 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
INM officers can take the money when bank window is closed. Mexicali west has no bank, INM has a cash box right where you get the FMMs.

What type of receipt does the agent give you?
Just stamping your FMM is not sufficient according to another immigration official that made a big deal out of me not having a receipt as well as a stamped and validated FMM

name of Punto de internación [Border crossing]:

akshadow - 1-22-2016 at 11:15 PM

Is Mexicali II Mexicali east? Is there a place to look up locations of listed options?

David K - 1-22-2016 at 11:30 PM

Yes, got a paper receipt. Banks are not needed since 2012.

Bajavanadu - 1-23-2016 at 07:34 AM

I've never obtained a fmm before and have never been asked for one by anyone when I travel in northern baja, punta cabras, gonzaga, etc. What is the worst case scenario if I am caught without a fmm, mordida/fine, vehicle impoundment, arrest?

bajabuddha - 1-23-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajavanadu  
I've never obtained a fmm before and have never been asked for one by anyone when I travel in northern baja, punta cabras, gonzaga, etc. What is the worst case scenario if I am caught without a fmm, mordida/fine, vehicle impoundment, arrest?

You've lived a gifted life so far. I've never been asked other than at the émigré office at the Guerrero Border Station; used to just be able to get one there, now (if they are open and checking) is a hefty fine, about 5 times more than the original FMM would cost you.

If you happen to screw up and end up in trouble, i.e. car accident, injure a National, whatever.... and you don't have one, you'll find out exactly why you SHOULD HAVE had one in the first place. It's a silly little thing, but it's the law. And being Napoleonic Law, you want to have your backside covered. It's kinda like a seat belt; "I've driven without one all my life, never been in a wreck". You'll wish you did when you need it.

bajaguy - 1-23-2016 at 09:16 AM

Doesn't really make any difference what the scenario is.......it's the law

bajatrailrider - 1-23-2016 at 09:28 AM

Even more funny,I took group of dirt bikes south.I made all riders get the FMM for the Guerrero check point.We stopped,The inspector.Would not get out of his seat.I flashed the FMMs,to get him to move.He got mad,said GO.Gotta love Mexico.Its better to get one,less hassle if they check.

Bajahowodd - 1-23-2016 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

You've lived a gifted life so far. I've never been asked other than at the émigré office at the Guerrero Border Station; used to just be able to get one there, now (if they are open and checking) is a hefty fine, about 5 times more than the original FMM would cost you.

If you happen to screw up and end up in trouble, i.e. car accident, injure a National, whatever.... and you don't have one, you'll find out exactly why you SHOULD HAVE had one in the first place. It's a silly little thing, but it's the law. And being Napoleonic Law, you want to have your backside covered. It's kinda like a seat belt; "I've driven without one all my life, never been in a wreck". You'll wish you did when you need it.

My experience is that for the past several years, the only reason the checkpoint exists at Guerrero Negro is for someone to make money charging to spray your car, supposedly for bugs.

The spray is optional. Just decline.

It has been many years since an actual officer came out asking for immigration papers.

Maybe it has changed, but I dunno.

Years ago, yes. There was always someone in both directions asking for papers.

David K - 1-23-2016 at 08:30 PM

Like Howodd and Larry (BajaTrailRider), Guerrero Negro (actually the state border just north of Guerrero Negro) hasn't been an issue since they fined edm1 a hundred dollars because his wife wasn't able to get one at Mexicali (her passport had just expired). That was in July, 2011.

I don't cross into Baja Sur on Hwy. 1 very often, but the migra guy at the state border:
In 2001: Looked at my tourist card.
In 2007: Looked at my tourist card.
In 2009: Looked at my tourist card.
In 2012: Waved me on from the seat in his office.
In 2015: Nobody there.

rts551 - 1-23-2016 at 08:42 PM

I go through Guerrero Negro all the time. But don't keep records of what the immigration officer is doing. I do know if you do not have the proper paper work you are in the country illegally.

bajabuddha - 1-23-2016 at 11:20 PM

My original point was, IF YOU AIN'T GOT IT AND NEED IT, YOU'SE UP DA CREEK.

Thank you wodd for your as usual on-point observations, and yes it's been a while since I was asked there, but being Baja as SOME of us notice, things not only change but do so regularly..... it could come back tomorrow afternoon. Ya never know; ya spends yer money, ya takes yer chances.

To the original OP, "Don't leave home without it". ;)

Any info?

akshadow - 1-24-2016 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
Is Mexicali II Mexicali east? Is there a place to look up locations of listed options?

Mexicali

akshadow - 2-18-2016 at 11:22 AM

Agent at Mexicali East said old crossing 1 and East is 2 if you are filling out application online

Cliffy - 2-18-2016 at 12:17 PM

Here's a question-
If a certain person gets elected President AND does build an impenetrable wall what do you all think the retaliation will be if one shows up somewhere in Baja without YOUR papers?

David K - 2-18-2016 at 12:25 PM

So, you are saying people in Mexico do not have respect for other countries and it is okay for some of their citizens to break into the U.S. without using the border crossings?

Do you, as an American support fellow Americans violating Mexican law and crossing into Mexico in the middle of the desert? Would you harass Mexicans traveling in America if Mexico built a wall to stop illegal crossings into their country?

Shouldn't the laws of illegal border crossing be applied to both sides? If it is mutually agreed that everyone should use the legal crossings, then everyone should not be opposed to a wall so that everyone does use the legal crossing.

Cliffy - 2-18-2016 at 01:00 PM

No don't get me wrong. I get an FMM every time I cross. I think everyone should also even if it is never asked for as ES LA LEY!
Following their laws shows respect for their country.
If we crack down on illegal immigration I would think they would also. Show respect for their country and get an FMM. It's no big deal to do.

David K - 2-18-2016 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
No don't get me wrong. I get an FMM every time I cross. I think everyone should also even if it is never asked for as ES LA LEY!
Following their laws shows respect for their country.
If we crack down on illegal immigration I would think they would also. Show respect for their country and get an FMM. It's no big deal to do.

Great, I wasn't thinking anything about FMMs, just crossing the border illegally. If it is wrong for us to do, it should be wrong for them, as well. What does a wall have to do with how we are treated in Mexico if we all agree to honor each other's border. There has been a wall or fence along much of the border as long as I have been going to Mexico. I only wish that Mexico would become an economic paradise for Mexicans, so there is no need for them to leave their country to support their families! I also wish that our own economy can recover back to the days before 2009 when my family could travel more.

sancho - 2-18-2016 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

i.e. car accident, injure a National, whatever

That is my concern, I've never been asked for a Mex fishing
lic either, or had to use a Mex Ins policy, no reason to have
those either. Mex makes it VERY simple to visit their Country,
I comply with their regs, some want to save the $24, that is
what drives the non compliance, and that is
their progative

Pappy Jon - 2-18-2016 at 07:24 PM

I've never had a problem crossing south through Guerrero Negro. Coming north, I've had to present FMM, or they get real cranky.

Gulliver - 2-18-2016 at 07:36 PM

I've never been asked for anything at the state line except for the pittance to get my tires sprayed. No one ever notices me Northbound.

What I would like to sort out would be to get my FMM online, cross at Tecate and then get it stamped somewhere else so I didn't have to creep around the block and park to get it stamped. When towing it is awkward.

25 years ago I went to the migration office in Ensenada to get my FMM (called something else then) and got a mild lecture and a grumpy look and told that he would do it this time but in the future to get it at the border.

In the past I had been entering by boat and was accustomed to dealing with it in Ensenada. Now I pull around the block at Tecate, do the dance with the nice people and tip the parking guy a buck.

This year Southbound I was hauling a bunch of stuff, some of it new, for my house. They looked my load over fairly careful and we settled on a number and the tax was about $60. Nothing. I get so much from this country that I pay what taxes I know of with a smile. Including things like the FMM fee.

Carol - 2-26-2016 at 07:42 PM

I tried this in November, it took my money and never printed me the FMM. I showed the Immigration lady what I had and she said no good so I had to pay again. Maybe they have it working now. My hubby just did everything at the broder and was done before me.

geoffff - 2-27-2016 at 03:28 PM

This site has the border crossing name synonyms listed, such as Mexicali II = Mexicali East

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tpp/offices/ogm/international_borde...

I was all for getting my FMM online, but then I realized I need to specify exactly when I'm crossing the border (as well as which border). My road trips always have a few days of uncertainty, so I can't commit to a date / place.

-- Geoff

Bajahowodd - 2-27-2016 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Here's a question-
If a certain person gets elected President AND does build an impenetrable wall what do you all think the retaliation will be if one shows up somewhere in Baja without YOUR papers?

That certain person has zero chance of being elected.

Borregoman - 3-14-2016 at 06:00 PM

I filled out and purchased the 180 day FMM online.

I am going to be delayed one week from the original date of entry that I put on the FMM,.

Do you foresee any problems with getting stamped a week later than originally indicated?

spikemd - 3-16-2016 at 08:00 AM

If we stay in Baja Norte never going farther south than Gonzaga bay, are we required to get an FMM? I have read online that it is now required for any travel to Mx even beyond border towns, but the locals we will be traveling with say to not get it. I am inclined to get it, but we will have 10 cars rolling through the border and I am not the trip leader. I have no problem paying for it, but need to stay with the group.

I agree, if you have any trouble in Mx, best to have all your documents in order.

bajaguy - 3-16-2016 at 08:16 AM

There are no more "Free Zones". You need an FMM. The locals either do not know the law or do not care about the law. Stop and get the FMM

Quote: Originally posted by spikemd  
If we stay in Baja Norte never going farther south than Gonzaga bay, are we required to get an FMM? I have read online that it is now required for any travel to Mx even beyond border towns, but the locals we will be traveling with say to not get it. I am inclined to get it, but we will have 10 cars rolling through the border and I am not the trip leader. I have no problem paying for it, but need to stay with the group.

I agree, if you have any trouble in Mx, best to have all your documents in order.

PaulW - 3-16-2016 at 08:39 AM

FMM summary and my comments
Sure enough nobody ever checks after you get past the border heading south. However the migration guy at the border may stop you and tell you to buy the thing.
Its like having on not having a driver license. One never needs one until stopped or have an accident. Then you wish you had it. Consequences for no FMM varies from one Mx official to another. Worst thing is to get deported. Why invite the hassle?

Regarding online purchase. Why bother since you have to stop at the border to get it validated anyway. And the line at the payment place is always short for FMMs even though there will be a long line for people paying duties.

And for a short visit you can stop at the border and get a no cost FMM

Never return or discard the FMM when heading north because its good for 180 days.

Martyman - 3-16-2016 at 09:07 AM

It is really hard to say what will happen. It depends on which official you run into. Most likely you will be given 48 hours to leave the country (as has happened to me). Maybe you will be just fine and nothing will happen. I guess the worst scenario is a car crash and you have no papers.

A lot of goody two shoes on this board that will tell you "it is the law" "you are very lucky not to have been caught" ...don't listen to them.

bajaguy - 3-16-2016 at 09:10 AM

Why not listen???. Is it being a "goody two shoes" to advise people to comply with the law of another country??

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  

A lot of goody two shoes on this board that will tell you "it is the law" "you are very lucky not to have been caught" ...don't listen to them.

sancho - 3-16-2016 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Why not listen???. Is it being a "goody two shoes" to advise people to comply with the law of another country??

With you on that, 'goody two shoes' , a rather irresponsible reply. I'm a little hincky about driving in Mex, so anything I
can do to stay within Mex regs, I will do. Until Mex enforces
some sort of penalty for illegal tourists, like MONETARY, some
tourists will ignore the Imm regs and save the $24. To me
Mex makes it very easy to visit with few regs

23S52N - 3-16-2016 at 02:54 PM

Some people's minds and attitudes are stuck in the 60s when it comes to Mexican laws. Ignore them and have a good time, it's only Mexico.

So ignore them, and enjoy whining to your cell mate when your fat ass is arrested. INM is not your local mordida grabbing poblado policia.....go ahead, make their day....then add some cheese to your whine when you tell everyone how you were mistreated here. (and I'm not going to bother rolling my eyes).

Stupid gringos, Madre de Dios.

Keith

Alm - 3-19-2016 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spikemd  
If we stay in Baja Norte never going farther south than Gonzaga bay, are we required to get an FMM? I have read online that it is now required for any travel to Mx even beyond border towns,

1) Yes, you are.
2) Yes. The "border town" in your case would be San Felipe. And, it is not just "now" - it's been like this for many years. Enforcement is another thing.