BajaNomad

Helpful? hint from ICE agent going NB

Santiago - 1-31-2016 at 10:09 AM

We crossed NB at Mexicali the other day, scanned our passport cards and handed the agent our passports. He seemed to take a few moments longer than usual, staring at his computer. He finally turned to us and asked us if we had scanned our cards and we said we had. "Oh, please don't scan the cards and hand me the passports because when I scan your passports I think there are 4 people in the vehicle with the same names."

OK, got it. Where do they find these guys?

ehall - 1-31-2016 at 10:12 AM

Why do you have both?

Santiago - 1-31-2016 at 10:21 AM

Well, I thought the idea was to scan your card so that when you got to the booth they would already have your info on the screen, to save time we thought. We have always handed the passports to the officer.
Turns out that is not necessary and I get it now; just wonder why no other officer ever asked us not to do that.
Scan or passport, but not both.
Anyone else run into this?

Udo - 1-31-2016 at 10:30 AM

Because when we try to apply for the cards, we received a letter that said the cards will only come if you renew your regular passports at the same time.

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Why do you have both?

David K - 1-31-2016 at 10:34 AM

For those that live a long ways from the border, can you imagine only having the card with you then being told by Mexican officials they must have their passport books (for whatever reason)?

rts551 - 1-31-2016 at 10:38 AM

Whats your point David? I understand Santiago. The Passport card was supposed to expedite your return to the USA at crowded ports of entry. Passports still required to fly..

[Edited on 1-31-2016 by rts551]

Desertbull - 1-31-2016 at 10:59 AM

I cross 50-75 times a year and utilize the card only...I haven't shown my passport for a few years ... haven't been to secondary in years ... even with the camper ... when I crossed into Alaska last summer, again only using my card, the Border Agent looked at me and commented about that I should come north instead of south more often:lol:

rts551 - 1-31-2016 at 11:02 AM

The passport is still the official document for travel. Currently it is the only one that has a means to get stamped.

Whale-ista - 1-31-2016 at 11:05 AM

You still need a passport to fly. If you have an emergency and/or need to be flown out for other reasons, having a passport is a good idea.

I have both, and carry both. I have only used one or the other at the Xing- and I have SENTRI, so... full wallet! Many choices!

Sigh... let's just get chipped and be done with it...

gsbotanico - 1-31-2016 at 11:09 AM

The passport card can be used in the Ready Lanes. At San Ysidro this can save a lot of time because the Ready Lanes move faster and are often shorter. I sometimes see the Ready Lanes having shorter wait times than Sentri when Sentri is backed up a long way and agents are working slow. I was even told once by a street vendor that the Ready Lane was faster. Not true most of the time.

Passport card is only good for land crossings from Mexico and Canada and from the Caribbean and Bermuda at ports of entry. It's not good for international air travel. I always carry passport, passport card, and Sentri Card, plus my Mexican Permanent Residency card. I'm never sure which will be requested or most useful. If I'm asked for ID and not specifically for a passport in Mexico, I use the Mexican card. It seems to carry more weight, especially in mainland Mexico.

The Sentri card can be used in the Ready Lane. I always hand the card I scan to the customs agent. I've never had a problem. One time I scanned 4 Sentri cards, but it only registered 3. The agent handed me my Mexican card and asked for my Sentri card. I was embarrassed, but the agent smiled and off we went.

David K - 1-31-2016 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Whats your point David? I understand Santiago. The Passport card was supposed to expedite your return to the USA at crowded ports of entry. Passports still required to fly..

Ralph, in the OP (opening post) our friend Santiago describes the problem he had by using BOTH to achieve a smooth crossing, and the opposite occurred.

In the following reply, Ed (ehall) asked "Why do you have both?" as you only need one to return to the USA...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The passport book takes up a tiny space in the glove box or pocket and I commented what I did in the possible situation someone in Mexico will want the book instead of the card. If you don't have both, then how miserable it would be to need to drive back home to get it when it takes so little space to bring along.

Does that de-mystify my reply enough for you?

sancho - 1-31-2016 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Because when we try to apply for the cards, we received a letter that said the cards will only come if you renew your regular passports at the same time

I did not know that, my passport is a few yrs. old, was going to get the card for the ready lane, which seems to be a bit quicker
coming back, there are more than a few doc's they accept in the ready lane,
so not sure of the benefit. But according to the letter you recieved,
which is a lot better than something said, I can forget about the
card

weebray - 1-31-2016 at 12:18 PM

The last time my wife entered the US and handed the agent her passport he looked at it and asked "do you have another form of id? She was entering with our dog. She was so startled by the question she asked "for me or for the dog?

sancho - 1-31-2016 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
The last time my wife entered the US and handed the agent her passport he looked at it and asked "do you have another form of id? She was entering with our dog. She was so startled by the question she asked "for me or for the dog?

Old passport photo maybe?

rts551 - 1-31-2016 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Ralph, in the OP (opening post) our friend Santiago describes the problem he had by using BOTH to achieve a smooth crossing, and the opposite occurred.

In the following reply, Ed (ehall) asked "Why do you have both?" as you only need one to return to the USA...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The passport book takes up a tiny space in the glove box or pocket and I commented what I did in the possible situation someone in Mexico will want the book instead of the card. If you don't have both, then how miserable it would be to need to drive back home to get it when it takes so little space to bring along.

Does that de-mystify my reply enough for you?

No. It does not. You know you should have your passport. Mexico makes the rules. Before I travel to ANY country I know what the rules are. I recommend that to any one. Passcards are only good for getting BACK into the country.

David K - 1-31-2016 at 02:01 PM

That's what I have been saying from the beginning Ralph, why having both makes sense.

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 1-31-2016 at 08:02 PM

showing the same ID one scanned seems logical. and yes, bring the passport and keep the visa with it at all times....for those who are not citizens.

By the same token, dumb system that does not recognize that the names are the same?

Pappy Jon - 2-3-2016 at 12:42 PM

Scanners are not always working. I crossed at Lukeville in October and still had to present my VISA ... after scanning my card. Lady made it clear that the card reader was no-workie. I presented my card at the booth, and she asked for my book.

In Algodones, the IMM fella was stopping folks going south to issue FMM's. More of a shake down, really. He insisted on the paper book, and would not take my card.

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by Pappy Jon]

BigBearRider - 2-3-2016 at 01:41 PM

No. It does not. You know you should have your passport. Mexico makes the rules. Before I travel to ANY country I know what the rules are. I recommend that to any one. Passcards are only good for getting BACK into the country.

I'm all for knowing the rules (although it is not possible to know all the rules given the complexity and ever-changing nature of laws.)

You says that "Passcards are only good for getting BACK into the country." I wonder if that is correct.

You can get the FMM with a passport card. I did it this weekend when I realized halfway down to the border that I had forgotten my passport. I keep the passport card and Global Entry (including SENTRI) card in my wallet at all times (you never know when you'll find yourself with an excuse to go to Baja). There was a family ahead of me in line at the SAT office also using passport cards for getting the FMM.

The Mexican website for getting the FMM online also gives you the option of using the passport card number for the FMM. I have done this successfully as well.

Finally, I was stopped by the marine police outside of Ensenada this fall. I was asked for my FMM and passport. I had both in my car, but had my passport card. They didn't seem to mind the passport card (they didn't like that the FMM was in my car though).

So, based on the above, I would tend to think that Mexico accepts the passport card, at least for some purposes. Of course, you may find a particular officer who disagrees on a particular day. It is always good to carry both. Just in case.

WHY BRINGING BOTH is a good idea!

David K - 2-3-2016 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  

In Algodones, the IMM fella was stopping folks going south to issue FMM's. More of a shake down, really. He insisted on the paper book, and would not take my card.

BigBearRider - 2-3-2016 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  

Not surprised that that happens.

Btw, since getting the Global Entry (SENTRI) card, I have never needed to show my passport or passport card to re-enter the U.S.

David K - 2-3-2016 at 03:25 PM

It's a "roll of the dice" in Mexico when it comes to uniformity of the law! :biggrin: