BajaNomad

Living in Baja, voting in the US?

SlyOnce - 2-4-2016 at 09:10 AM

I live in Playas de TJ, I registered to vote in San Diego County, my application was rejected, as I have to provide a residence address in San Diego County to vote. My Private Mail Box is not an address.

I don't care so much about voting on San Diego issues, I want to vote in the primaries and for President, how do I do that?

bajatrailrider - 2-4-2016 at 09:48 AM

Use friends address.

David K - 2-4-2016 at 10:04 AM

American living abroad are indeed allowed to vote. Contact the embassy for how you can.

chippy - 2-4-2016 at 10:07 AM

I use the upsstore in Texas. They give you a street address not a PObox number. You can get packages sent there also. 41 usd gets you 3 months.

[Edited on 2-4-2016 by chippy]

elgatoloco - 2-4-2016 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
I live in Playas de TJ, I registered to vote in San Diego County, my application was rejected, as I have to provide a residence address in San Diego County to vote. My Private Mail Box is not an address.

I don't care so much about voting on San Diego issues, I want to vote in the primaries and for President, how do I do that?

Lori Saldana for Mayor! She cares about the people. And the whales! :dudette:

SlyOnce - 2-4-2016 at 01:05 PM

My PMB is at postal annex I tried to use that and registrar of voters said it does not appear as a residence in their database. My PMB address is on my driver's license and on my SENTRI.

I would prefer doing this right, I live in Playas not in San Diego.

I have a call into Registrar of Voters, let me see if they can help me I assumed many of you Nomads would have gone through this.

chippy - 2-4-2016 at 01:14 PM

I went to the US embassy website and there is lotsa info on absentee voting.

If resident?

akshadow - 2-4-2016 at 02:34 PM

If resident of Mexico, Permanent resident card, are you eligible to vote in any State in the USA?
You continue to be a citizen of USA.

Tioloco - 2-5-2016 at 10:05 PM

Interesting question. Please advise on what you find.

RnR - 2-6-2016 at 08:04 AM

Here is a US Federal govt site that provides assistance and guidance for overseas absentee voting -

https://www.fvap.gov/citizen-voter

Read the Frequent Questions tab (FAQ) at the top of the page.

Bottom Line - You can absentee vote from just about anywhere in the world.

BUT, you do it through your state election officials in your declared (or last) State of Residence. (Official domicile)

mjs - 2-6-2016 at 08:18 AM

Not to go to far off topic but i believe you also become responsible for State and local income taxes at your domicile address. That's why you see so many license plates from SD and other low cost States.

Voting in US presidential election and CA primary

SlyOnce - 4-19-2016 at 10:54 AM

I put a thread about this some months ago and I can't find it now but I just want to say how easy it was to register as a US citizen living abroad. You simply go to :

https://www.fvap.gov/ and register as a US citizen living outside the Country for an indeterminate time.

And from there you are directed to the State you want to vote in. I wanted to vote in CA, and I want to vote in the primary.

From the federal site I selected my State and I was directed to

sos.ca.gov

There I had to provide my "previous address" in CA which I gave. This all started because San Diego County registrar of voters would not accept my PMB (private mail box at Postal Annex) as a legal address and when I provided my address in Baja said I could not register as a San Diego voter.

It's all very easy, took 5 minutes, and you can select to vote by email, fax, or mail.

There are early deadlines for the primaries so get this started if you want to vote.

Udo - 4-19-2016 at 01:29 PM

Will sos.sd.gov work as well?

Udo - 4-19-2016 at 01:31 PM

I tried that and all that came up was a lobbyist registration and a corporation search.

bajaguy - 4-19-2016 at 02:09 PM

https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/default.aspx

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

AKgringo - 4-19-2016 at 02:23 PM

I am impressed, almost four hours after this post showed up, and not one troll has sounded off about who or what to vote for or against!

Sly, thanks for bringing this up.

LancairDriver - 4-19-2016 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am impressed, almost four hours after this post showed up, and not one troll has sounded off about who or what to vote for or against!

Sly, thanks for bringing this up.

Hang tight. Most of them haven't finished their nap yet.:lol:

woody with a view - 4-19-2016 at 04:41 PM

Vote early and often!

willardguy - 4-19-2016 at 04:49 PM

does Pat Paulsen have a chance in this election?

SFandH - 4-19-2016 at 05:11 PM

Quick, which candidate comes to mind? ;)

[Edited on 4-20-2016 by SFandH]

bezzell - 4-19-2016 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Quick, which candidate comes to mind? ;)

the orange hair ....hmmm ..... lemme think

Whale-ista - 4-19-2016 at 11:20 PM

In San Diego County the link is: www.sdvote.com

You can vote early in person at the Registrar of Voter's office, or vote by mail.

One caveat:

If you are registered "No political party" (NPP) you must choose a ballot to vote for a party''s candidate (Democrat, Libertarian or American Independent). Or- if you want to vote Republican, Peace & Freedom or Green- you must register in the party of your choice by May 23.

So be sure to register in a party or select the proper ballot for the Presidential election.

SlyOnce - 4-20-2016 at 11:10 AM

Today I got an email from the Registrar of Voters San Diego County asking for additional information and I had to provide my address in MX and my legal address inside San Diego. I provided my MX address and my PMB (Private Mail Box). Let's see what happens, they rejected my PMB last time that is what started all this.

I cross every day, I work in San Diego, I have a CA driver's license and pay CA state income taxes. I should be able to vote.

Maybe it's not so easy, stay tuned.

SOS=State level voter info (Secretary of State)

Whale-ista - 4-20-2016 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Udo- www.sos.ca.gov is for STATE of CA level voter info. They have control/oversight of each COUNTY Registrar of Voters and gather all the statewide reports after elections. So you can go to sos.ca.gov to get all results, reported by each county.

In counties, each Registrar of Voters office is under the county website.

And in San Diego it is easier to find: use www.sdvote.com (an easy way for people to remember vs. the long County address)

(FYI- while serving in the state legislature I authored several bills on voting issues, and partnered with the staff in the SOS office & San Diego County Registrar's office. Very smart, capable people- I enjoyed working with them.)

Hope that helps!

[Edited on 4-21-2016 by Whale-ista]

SlyOnce - 4-21-2016 at 10:35 AM

I got everything squared away with the San Diego County Registrar of Voters in 1 simple email and I'm good to go. I encourage you all to register, this primary season your vote is important.