BajaNomad

Carjacking

Pages:  1    3

michaelw - 2-5-2016 at 05:15 PM

Does anyone have any information on a reported carjacking that took place on Jan. 2nd at the foot of the very steep, curvy descent before coming into Santa Rosalia from the north? Parents with a 16 year old daughter towing a Hobie Cat. Father badly beaten before another vehicle showed up and the attackers fled. Heard this second hand and am trying to find either corroboration or lack of. Appreciate any information out there.

kevind - 2-5-2016 at 07:54 PM

My son is close friends with the 16 year old girl who was involved in this incident. I called the father who lives in Bend, Or. for details. He related this story: On January 2nd. He, his wife and stepdaughter along with 3 dogs, were towing a Hobie Cat to La Ventana while in convoy with another vehicle. They stopped at the military check point outside of San Ignacio. After being questioned they were waved through and the soldiers stopped the car containing their friends. Just prior to descending the steep, circuitous pass, the father noticed that their friends had not caught up to them. Near the bottom of the pass a white crew cab pickup truck came up behind them at a high rate of speed and began honking and flashing his lights. The pickup them passed and immediately turned sideways in the road blocking them from passing. 3 men jumped from the truck and converged on the drivers side door. One man smashed the window with a hammer and reached in and opened the door. Another man began to hit the father about the head and left shoulder with a bat. As soon as the father was partially dragged from the car his leg was smashed with the hammer shattering his fibula. The man with the hammer then hit him below the left temple before smashing the left rear window grabbing the daughter by the hair and holding a knife to her throat. At this point a car pulled up behind the Hobie Cat. The 3 assailants ran back the truck jumped in and sped off eastward.
The family was treated at the clinic in Santa Rosalia as well as held for 12 hours being interviewed by various law enforcement agencies. Both the mother and the daughter recognized on of the men as being at the military check point outside of San Ignacio. They family was told that theirs was the third incident of this kind in the same area of the pass. I have driven the peninsula dozens of times in the last 40 years. I have owned property in Todos Santos, I love the Mexican people and their country and will continue to respectfully visit this wonderful area of the world. However, certain parts of this road that up until recently have been considered "safe" from these types of incidents are changing. Knowledge is power. Stay safe. I am not open to debate about what I report here. Just wanted to get the information out there.
Adios!

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by kevind]

kevind - 2-5-2016 at 08:00 PM

I forgot to mention that the other vehicle in the convoy was held back and searched for nearly 20 minutes possibly creating the time gap necessary for the men in the truck to do what they did. Also, the mother and daughter threw the fathers wallet and their purses to the assailants who showed no interest in them. This was not a robbery.
Adios!

BigBearRider - 2-5-2016 at 08:24 PM

This is horrible. You say that it was not a robbery. Is the implication that the men were after the women? Do you have any information on the other two incidents and what happened there?

kevind - 2-5-2016 at 09:06 PM

BBR, The father did not discuss any details of the other incidences with me so I have nothing to offer further than his telling me that the authorities in Santa Rosalia told him that his was the 3rd such crime in the pass area. He told me that he had the impression that the men wanted him incapacitated so that they could take his wife and step daughter. What I find most disturbing is that the wife and daughter recognized the military person as someone from the checkpoint. He had not even bothered to take his military garb off.

BajaBlanca - 2-5-2016 at 09:14 PM

this just sickens me. I am in a state of shock.

motoged - 2-5-2016 at 09:22 PM

Wow !!!!!!!!!!

bajabuddha - 2-5-2016 at 09:26 PM

This definitely needs to be reported to the Comandante of the Infantry Post just south of the prison at San Lucas. They are the military unit in charge of the stop at San Ignacio. If there are local higher-up politico's in Santa Rosalia they should also be contacted. This isn't the first kind of extortion or 'shady actions' associated with that particular area.

Local Movers and Shakers, you know who you are (and I know a few of you). Time to open the gates and bring in the Big Guns to stop the free reign of corrupted power (however small it is). I'd hate to see this stretch become the next Ciudad Constitution of shakedowns and mordida. Time to get the rotten fish out of the barrel pronto before the rest of the batch gets tainted by the smell. I used to know the Comandante and his Adjutant of that particular Infantaria Unit... but I hear they've changed. Wish I could help. I do know you can stop at the front gate and ask admittance to speak personally with El Comandante. I recommend it.
bb

Tioloco - 2-5-2016 at 09:37 PM

Very sad situation. I hope they are able to get some traction with the authorities.

BigBearRider - 2-5-2016 at 09:40 PM

How come we only hear about this now - a month after the incident?

BornFisher - 2-5-2016 at 10:23 PM

Kevind-- thank you for posting such a detailed account of this. Seems to raise many questions,like who, and why, why, why??? This may change travel plans (mine), or maybe not. But it sure makes me not fault those who come on these boards and ask for a caravan partner.
Thoughts and prayers to the victims. What a nightmare.

KasloKid - 2-5-2016 at 10:40 PM

A few years ago, I was travelling with another couple, and after I cleared a checkpoint, I pulled up about 100 yards past the checkpoint to wait for our friends. Immediately, two military guys ran up with their automatic rifles pointed at us and told us to move on. I did, but only around the corner to a wide spot. The reason being is that the other couple were newbies, and I didn't want to get too far ahead of them.
Travelling together now takes on a whole new meaning.....

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by KasloKid]

mtgoat666 - 2-5-2016 at 11:27 PM

So some of the soldiers at the san Ignacio military checkpoint have staged at least 3 highway robberies/car jackings/kidnappings...
Why does the Mexican govt allow this continue?
Can't be good PR for Mexico and Baja when the fed soldiers are going rogue in Baja, raining terror down on tourists, in one of Mexico's few remaining stable tourism zones,...

micah202 - 2-5-2016 at 11:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
So some of the soldiers at the san Ignacio military checkpoint have staged at least 3 highway robberies/car jackings/kidnappings...
Can't be good PR for Mexico and Baja when the fed soldiers are going rogue in Baja, raining terror down on tourists, in one of Mexico's few remaining stable tourism zones,...

...perhaps the Mex authorities haven't read this thread yet. :O

.......seems the only place the news has 'broken'.

JoeJustJoe - 2-6-2016 at 12:15 AM

A better question to ask if you actually believe the OP's second hand story he says he heard about, and now is asking about a month later?

Another question to ask is why is he even asking?

In fact all the OP's posts are rather a little strange, and all his post start off the same:

Does anyone know..........

I guess it's a small world, because the second poster, with 22 posts under his belt, which most of them have been deleted. Well he happens to have a son who is close friends with the 16 year old girl this happened to, and he has all the details, and lays it all out for us. However, at the end of his story he says, "this is not open to debate, " and so you shouldn't ask him any questions. I have to admit I find that rather odd being so defensive before any questions were asked.

Maybe it's just me, but I find both posts, and their posting history rather strange and similar in a few ways.

Of course I treat everything I read with a grain of salt, and would wait for confirmation of this story from newspapers or known sources within the Baja community that could verify the report.

What I wouldn't do is start to panic.

And as always be careful wherever you go in Mexico or the USA for that matter.

tecatero - 2-6-2016 at 05:51 AM

I call BS on this story..............would of made news the day of it happening.....please prove it and I will roll over and beg for my BS claim, but it would have made a lot more news. Especially with those severe injuries the husband suffered. If true, I hope this family steps up and gets media involved ASAP. Media Attention is the only thing that puts a light on corruption

basautter - 2-6-2016 at 05:54 AM

Yikes! Good advice from prior posts. Travel in groups, and don't get too far apart. Walkie talkies are also a good idea, since cell service is so spotty.

BigWooo - 2-6-2016 at 07:30 AM

I searched back to December in BCS Noticias, El Sudcaliforniano, and Colectivo Pericu and couldn't find anything about this event. Not to say it didn't happen, but these news outlets report some pretty minor incidents, you'd think this would have been big news.

mtgoat666 - 2-6-2016 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
I call BS on this story..............would of made news the day of it happening.....please prove it and I will roll over and beg for my BS claim, but it would have made a lot more news. Especially with those severe injuries the husband suffered. If true, I hope this family steps up and gets media involved ASAP. Media Attention is the only thing that puts a light on corruption

Hmmmm,... Could be bs yarns by a hate club member playing with his false IDs,... The story is consistent with certain whack jobs that post on a board that shall not be named...

chippy - 2-6-2016 at 07:52 AM

The story does sound a little suspect but down here the Gov. constantly covers up any bad news that has to do with tourism.

SFandH - 2-6-2016 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I searched back to December in BCS Noticias, El Sudcaliforniano, and Colectivo Pericu and couldn't find anything about this event. Not to say it didn't happen, but these news outlets report some pretty minor incidents, you'd think this would have been big news.

I did the same thing and didn't find anything.

Perhaps the American Consulate people know about it.

Two odd things. The bad guys weren't interested in money when offered to them and one of them was an army guy in uniform.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by SFandH]

David K - 2-6-2016 at 08:33 AM

Remember the incident in my July 2015 trip report? San Ignacio checkpoint... in 50 years of Mexico travel the first and only time trying to accuse me of having marijuana and then taking a cigarette lighter flame to some particle on my floor mat and saying it was marijuana. Never had a soldier/ officer(?) act so unprofessional or insulting. In fact, they have always been a joy and fun exchange on our trips.

BajaBlanca - 2-6-2016 at 08:35 AM

please Lord, let it be a fake story. I am going to investigate today.

BigBearRider - 2-6-2016 at 08:44 AM

The story was posted on the Fulano forum at 8:34 pm with a screenshot that includes the first three posts only. At that time, several other posts had already been made, and kevind had edited his original post. Oddly, the only edit I could see him make was to change "wonder" to "wonderful." Oddly, the posters reference the boat type by name in initial caps several times. The story is also oddly detailed in many places ("left temple" "left window").

mtgoat666 - 2-6-2016 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I did the same thing and didn't find anything.

Perhaps the American Consulate people know about it.

Two odd things. The bad guys weren't interested in money when offered to them and one of them was an army guy in uniform.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by SFandH]

Nothing odd about violence without robbery motive, it happens every minute of every day.
Nothing odd about military people being criminals. It's a common theme in Mexico. And every country, USA included (high level USA officers are crooked too, just look at recent fat Leonard case, camp Pendleton godfather case, etc.; and rape in military is common, USA DOD branches all have problems with it, it's too common)

BigBearRider - 2-6-2016 at 09:00 AM

You'd think it would be massively big news in Bend, Oregon and all over the U.S. The Lord knows the media loves stories about bad things happening in Mexico.

I recently went through the San Ignacio check point going north. I had forgotten a bunch of pesos in the back pocket of the passenger side front seat. The guy doing the "revision" pointed it out to me and told me to not leave it there, suggesting it might disappear.

carlosg - 2-6-2016 at 09:30 AM

Is it just me or is it really a coincidence that the original post on this thread is dated on Friday Feb. 5, and that last Thursday we saw dozens of snowbirds hauling their rigs south across the San Ysidro border.... are these "newbies" just trying to stirr things up? I think it's all BS....!!! No first hand info... come on.... a month later on a situation like this...? Not even Colectivo Pericú (a susidiary of Tijuana's Zeta) mentioned any of these happenings.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by carlosg]

motoged - 2-6-2016 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

I was thinking that there must be some Nomads with their ears close to the ground in that area that could get more intel about this possibility.

Sometimes we are quick to believe stuff we read.

Remember....."Don't believe everything you think !"

Staying tuned....

bezzell - 2-6-2016 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevind  
I am not open to debate about what I report here.
[Edited on 2-6-2016 by kevind]

bwhahahaha ... good one!

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by bezzell]

BigBearRider - 2-6-2016 at 09:57 AM

Double post.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by BigBearRider]

carjacking JoeJustJoe

michaelw - 2-6-2016 at 10:13 AM

JoeJust Joe
I am the original poster to whom you refer in your post. I, indeed, heard this story from kevind and, afterword, wrote my original post to try and obtain further information/corroboration regarding the story. kevind, subsequent to that, chose to post the detailed version he had directly from the father involved in it.

Instead of offering anything constructive you choose to question both kevind and my credibility and previous posts. Anyone looking at my posts will see that they reflect the interests of an individual who has been going to Baja since 1972, has a home in Baja since 1990, and has traveled extensively in the more remote parts of the peninsula.

I have no interest in promoting hysteria or paranoia but simply want any information that will either corroborate or disprove this story. Instead of writing posts that basically question both kevind's and my integrity why not seek out information that will leave all of us in a better position regarding travel in Baja. I will be driving down the peninsula in 3 days and am always happy to have the most current updates from other travelers.

Focus on truth instead of personal attacks and we'll all be better prepared.

TMW - 2-6-2016 at 10:26 AM

Michael why is there nothing in the Bend, OR newspaper about this? Someone with that kind of beating should have reported it to the US authorities and news outlets.

mtgoat666 - 2-6-2016 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Michael why is there nothing in the Bend, OR newspaper about this? Someone with that kind of beating should have reported it to the US authorities and news outlets.

Makes sense that the govt of Mexico (fed, state and local) would cover up the deeds of their soldiers.
Makes sense why a gringo may desire to maintain their privacy and not publicize their tale,... And if the victims plan to return to Baja, makes little sense to get on the wrong side of the govt by publicizing the bad apples in the govt

4x4abc - 2-6-2016 at 11:02 AM

just wondering, is the "the steep, circuitous pass" the one at Tres Virgines or Cuesta del Infierno?

If Tres Virgines, it is a 30+ minute drive with a Hobie in tow. They did not wonder where their friends were until then?

If Custa del Infinerno, it is a 50+ minutes drive. They did not wonder where their friends were until then?

Smashing the fibula with a hammer is possible, but unlikely. More likely it is the exposed tibia. And most of us would say shin bone and not use some doctor talk.

the story has a strong smell

they hospital staff in Santa Rosalia could possibly confirm. Anyone close by?

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by 4x4abc]

BajaNomad - 2-6-2016 at 11:23 AM

Hmmmm,... Could be bs yarns by a hate club member playing with his false IDs,... The story is consistent with certain whack jobs that post on a board that shall not be named...

These seem to be - from my standpoint - legit posts by legit users.

fyi

BajaGringo - 2-6-2016 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Let us know what you find out Blanca, please. Best to check with any connections you might have with either the PFC and/or the local MP. It does seem weird that there is absolutely nothing at all in the press about this but at the same time, that is a rather remote area down there and if the victims didn't have any local connections, it may simply never have reached the ears of the local press.

Just reading the story made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I know all too well the terror they felt...

anywhere on the planet

captkw - 2-6-2016 at 11:41 AM

First is always stay/be aware of any and all around you.. And a thin mason stye glass jar 3/4 full of gas with 3 pointee rocks in side of the jar with a marine flare gun will stop many bad guys..So sorry that this has happened,, let alone at least 3 times is a BIG,BIG issue:no:

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 12:51 PM

Greetings,
When I first posted my account of what the father of the family told me, I did so with only one purpose: to share the story in the interest of safety. No underlying sinister hate motive as one of you has implied. Ask yourselves: why would anyone make-up a story like this? What would the motive be? I called the father this morning and spoke to he and the mother both. They have also combed through the obvious places that this should have been reported and have found nothing. This has fueled their concern. They have chosen not to write to local papers out of concern for their safety. Individuals from 3 different agencies: Federales, St. Rosalia Police and another agency took photos of their drivers license and other documents with their home address etc. The father had never heard of Baja Nomad so that is why he did not post. After reading the vitriolic/accusatory response to MikeW and my posts the father is less than enthusiastic about posting now and I do not blame him. By the way I was incorrect it was in fact his "Tibia" that was shattered by the hammer blow. Sorry about the Doctor Speak Harald. Now to continue with my original intentions which is to inform. The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin

David K - 2-6-2016 at 12:59 PM

.... The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin

Thank you for sharing the story. On the Internet, anything and anyone can say things. So understand that and know that for every person who is rude here, a few dozen are decent and good folks interested in reading and seeing what you have posted.

As for seeing, I posted the steps on how to add photos here and it is the top post in the Nomad Photo Gallery forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085

If the file size isn't too big (250 kb max), you can use the Attachment feature, located just below where you type posts>>>

JoeJustJoe - 2-6-2016 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by michaelw  
JoeJust Joe
I am the original poster to whom you refer in your post. I, indeed, heard this story from kevind and, afterword, wrote my original post to try and obtain further information/corroboration regarding the story. kevind, subsequent to that, chose to post the detailed version he had directly from the father involved in it.

Instead of offering anything constructive you choose to question both kevind and my credibility and previous posts. Anyone looking at my posts will see that they reflect the interests of an individual who has been going to Baja since 1972, has a home in Baja since 1990, and has traveled extensively in the more remote parts of the peninsula.

I have no interest in promoting hysteria or paranoia but simply want any information that will either corroborate or disprove this story. Instead of writing posts that basically question both kevind's and my integrity why not seek out information that will leave all of us in a better position regarding travel in Baja. I will be driving down the peninsula in 3 days and am always happy to have the most current updates from other travelers.

Focus on truth instead of personal attacks and we'll all be better prepared.

Michael, how do you know Kevind?

You both been members of "Baja Nomad" for many years, but both of you have only have made a handful of posts, and both of you guys made you last posts in 2014, until this alleged incident in Santa Rosalia, which hints of a brutal gang rape according to Kevind's second hand report. And also according to Kevind's second hand report, there have been two other similar incidents in the area.

I'm sorry, but call me skeptical, because I have lots of questions, but Kevind has closed off any possible questions or debate about this alleged incident.

What also jumps out at me, is why there isn't any local news reports of this alleged incident? Now it's true, many news stories don't make there way to US or Canada news outlets, but these stories are often often in the local Mexican stories, and when these stories make their way to Canada, they become big new stories!

Michael, from your second post here, it's obvious that you and Kevind, discussed this story because you started asking questions about a 3rd hand report you heard about.

I also find it a little odd that Kevind, didn't mention it was him that first told you about this alleged incident.

You Michael, seem a little defensive that's I'm questioning your 3rd hand report, but from reading your post here, it looks like you're also questioning the report too, because you're asking for verification of the report from other "Nomad" members. I'm assuming this, because you could have wrote the same story Kevind, wrote from a 3rd hand perspective.

I agree with you that the focus should be on improving travel safety in Baja, but at the same time, I can't just believe any story I hear without collaboration from a news source, or trusted source with a long track record. I'm sorry Michael, but you and Kevind, really don't have a track record on this site. Keeping posting, and get that track record.

Maybe you don't know this, but there are forces out there that hate Mexico, and they hate Mexicans! These "haters" and there are many out there, will focus on news stories like you're putting out there to discourage Americans from traveling to Mexico, under the guise of keeping Americans safe, but they actually think they are hurting Mexico tourism.

There are also a whole host of Americans on travel boards, that may have had a bad experience in Mexico, and now make it their agenda to not only discourage travel to a certain hotel, but to also keep away from a certain Mexico city.

Of course there are legitimate complaints on travel boards, and I'm also talking about a small minority of Baja haters out there, but the small percentage of Baja, are determined and seem to have a lot of time on their hands.

As always believe what you want, but from my experience most stories on forums, and travel boards are slanted one way or another, and many are pure BS, with an anti-Mexico agenda.

Images of attack near Santa Rosalia

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 01:14 PM

Thank you very much. I will attempt to upload.
Kevin

motoged - 2-6-2016 at 01:19 PM

..... I called the father this morning and spoke to he and the mother both. They have also combed through the obvious places that this should have been reported and have found nothing. This has fueled their concern. They have chosen not to write to local papers out of concern for their safety. Individuals from 3 different agencies: Federales, St. Rosalia Police and another agency took photos of their drivers license and other documents with their home address etc. .....

Kevind,
It appears that the victims reported to the agencies named above in your post. If so, what follow-up has there been from the authorities as it would seem easy to identify at least the military perp?

What are the victims fearful of....injury in Baja (if they are "regulars" w/ a place there)....or someone tracking them down stateside?

The "reporting" of it on the net or tv/print seems far less important than "legal" follow-up.

Images of attack near Santa Rosalia

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 01:20 PM

blow to temple.jpg - 242kB

attack near Santa Rosalia

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 01:25 PM

chuckie - 2-6-2016 at 01:34 PM

All kinds of reasons not to report this....One is the kind of treatment given to it by some of the Kourageous Keyboard Kowboys on this forum. It does little good to report it in Mexico, no one is going to do anything about it. And, should a person go back to that area, some of those folks have long memories. I said nothing about the incident of mine for months, until I got tired of hearing how safe it is in Baja. And then of course there is always a fulltime muckraker like JJJ with their expert opinions. The WORLD, not just Baja, has changed, not for the best...Pretending it hasn't wont change it back...

attack near Santa Rosalia

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 01:47 PM

FullSizeRender.jpg - 63kB IMG_2647.JPG - 99kB IMG_2644.JPG - 83kB

Alm - 2-6-2016 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Seems to raise many questions,like who, and why, why, why???

Seems like easy answers on both.
"Who" - Mexicans, of course :)
"Why" - for ransom, usually.

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 01:54 PM

IMG_2650.JPG - 56kB IMG_2645.JPG - 58kB IMG_2651.JPG - 43kB

mtgoat666 - 2-6-2016 at 01:54 PM

... his telling me that the authorities in Santa Rosalia told him that his was the 3rd such crime in the pass area.

This is disconcerting! Were the other victims gringos or Mexicans? Were the other victims also attacked by soldier(s) they saw at san Ignacio military checkpoint?

When the soldiers are preying on tourists they identify at the checkpoint, makes you not trust any of the soldiers if they are using the stop, interrogation and search to choose their victims! flock that!

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by mtgoat666]

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for the assistance in uploading the images. I do not spend much time on the forum so the advice was helpful.

I must say that this process of simply attempting to disseminate what I felt was important information regarding a very disturbing incident that did in fact take place outside of Santa Rosalia to readers of Baja Nomad has opened my eyes to a few facts regarding the readership of the forum. The fact that some of you believe that there are "Mexico and Baja haters" lurking in the shadows spreading lies is very interesting to me. I simply had no idea this was such an on going issue that you had to protect yourselves from. Good luck with this.
I first visited Baja with my fishing crazed parents in '63 taking a shrimp trawler from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia. We then drove overland for 8 hours on a dirt road to Mulege. I returned in '74 on a sailboat then drove the peninsula in '77. I have fished, boated and surfed the Baja, owned property there and continue to love the place and it's people, warts and all. I write this so that you do not confuse me with a Mexico hater. My sole intent in sharing this frightening story was to educated other travelers to the ever changing situations and challenges traveling in Baja presents to those of us who drive the transpeninsular highway.

My sincere best wishes to all.
Respectfully Kevin

SFandH - 2-6-2016 at 02:32 PM

I hope the victims have reported this to the United States Consulate in baja. They should be aware of this, especially since a member of the Mexican military was involved.

Telephone numbers and email addresses here. I bet the report including the photos posted here could all be done via email.

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/contact.html

JoeJustJoe - 2-6-2016 at 03:03 PM

These photos are interesting, it still doesn't prove that attack took place in Santa Rosalia. It only shows a man in a hospital for a possible broken leg and other injuries.

Kevind, do you have any photos of the wife and daughter in the hospital, and medical records with the intent of their injuries? You strongly imply the Mexicans at the check point, weren't interested in money, because you said the father threw his wallet at them, and the mother and daughter, threw their purses at them, but they were not interested with money, and so they held a knife to the daughters throat.

Were the mother and daughter kidnapped? You never said, but it seemed implied in your report.

And for Christ's sake, why not report the crime?

The alleged victim, the father, was brutally beaten, they broke his leg, they held a knife to the daughter's throat, and only God knows of the possible brutalization the mother and daughter allegedly suffered.

Does this family from Bend, Oregon, plan to return to Santa Rosalia, after the traumatization of the whole family?

Now speaking from a personal frame point. If it was me and my family, I would not rest until the perpetrators were behind bars, or 6 feet under, and I wouldn't be scared reporting them, because after I would seek justice, I would never take my family to Santa Rosalia again, but that's just me.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

wessongroup - 2-6-2016 at 03:23 PM

Alleged "victim" ... :lol::lol:

This is NOT a court room ... pound sand :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by wessongroup]

JoeJustJoe - 2-6-2016 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Alleged "victim" ... :lol::lol:

This is NOT a court room ... pound sand :biggrin::biggrin:

If it was a court room, both second, and third hand reports would be considered "hearsay" and therefore generally inadmissible in the court room.

I might add a forum report like this would probably never make the pages of newspapers like the " San Diego Union Tribune" without the newspaper's editor asking for corroborating evidence from the reporter.

Just something to think about.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

wessongroup - 2-6-2016 at 03:33 PM

Operative word ... "IF" ... :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm giving you a MR 15+ on this one (MR = Muck Raker) :lol::lol:

btw the MR sale is 0 to 10

It's NOT IF THESE individuals were physically attacked and received some pretty bad "LUMPS" ...

4x4abc - 2-6-2016 at 04:14 PM

this is getting ugly fast.

dtbushpilot - 2-6-2016 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
this is getting ugly fast.

Of course it is Harald, would you expect anything different?

Pescador - 2-6-2016 at 05:12 PM

JoeJustJoe adds his usual vitriolic BS here. The pictures indicate where the treatment took place, where the original accident took place (which is the grade by Tres Virgenes, not the Cuesta coming down into Santa Rosalia. What Kevin is calling a clinic is the ISSTE hospital in Santa Rosalia and not the general hospital.
My preliminary communication with the Federal Police (make that Pandas for those of you who understand nothing about the various police forces in Mexico, indicate that they are aware and investigating. More importantly, is the fact that the Policia Ministerial is investigating. When it comes to thefts, assaults, and the like the local Municipal Police are of little use, but instead it is important to talk to the Ministerial, which is more of a Federal Police.
So those who find it entertaining to cast dispersion (that means spreading the bullchit like Joe and others) can put it to bed. Will post more information when it is accurate.
And thank you Kevin for not listening to the Stupidity that is so prevalent here and putting out as much information as you have.:fire::fire::fire:

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by Pescador]

Highwayman - 2-6-2016 at 05:15 PM

Long time viewer on this site. Thanks for posting this info. We are driving to Cabo in March and any info, good or bad, is a big help.. We drove down two years ago and had an excellent trip. I will post a trip report this time.

BigWooo - 2-6-2016 at 05:32 PM

I was skeptical, but not any more. I checked the photo information (with photoshop) and they were taken with an iPhone on January 2nd. First photo of the police cars was around 11:00 a.m. and the injury shots were taken between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. I was hoping this was a hoax.

Edit: I sure hope they have a quick recovery. Mentally and physically.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by BigWooo]

bajabuddha - 2-6-2016 at 05:39 PM

Again, the San Ignacio and Loreto (North) checkpoints are manned by the 16 CINE Infantry outfit at San Lucas, if anyone wishes to know. I've been hassled the most by both myself.

This Nomania is once again out of control. It's even flushed in the blood-feud from the OT.... there's been enough damage here. I suggest taking that entire segment back to its' proper fermentation vat.

It happened. It's bad. Needs fixed. No more aspersions on the OP's validity, please. There's been enough suffering here than to add insult to injury.

basautter - 2-6-2016 at 06:05 PM

Nice work Nomads! Maybe not done yet, but I like to see news stories challenged! If they don't hold water, they will fall apart. I wish we did that north of the border :light:

4x4abc - 2-6-2016 at 07:07 PM

I was skeptical, but not any more. I checked the photo information (with photoshop) and they were taken with an iPhone on January 2nd. First photo of the police cars was around 11:00 a.m. and the injury shots were taken between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. I was hoping this was a hoax.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by BigWooo]

are the image numbers counting backwards on an iPhone?
how did a 01-05 (IMG_2650) get in there

the images actually raise more questions

mtgoat666 - 2-6-2016 at 07:23 PM

According to a poster on talk Baja this happened at 5 am.
It's unfortunate, but How many times do people have to be told to not drive at night in Baja?

Joe, sometimes you're an a$$hat, this is one of those times.

BajaGringo - 2-6-2016 at 07:35 PM

Greetings,
When I first posted my account of what the father of the family told me, I did so with only one purpose: to share the story in the interest of safety. No underlying sinister hate motive as one of you has implied. Ask yourselves: why would anyone make-up a story like this? What would the motive be? I called the father this morning and spoke to he and the mother both. They have also combed through the obvious places that this should have been reported and have found nothing. This has fueled their concern. They have chosen not to write to local papers out of concern for their safety. Individuals from 3 different agencies: Federales, St. Rosalia Police and another agency took photos of their drivers license and other documents with their home address etc. The father had never heard of Baja Nomad so that is why he did not post. After reading the vitriolic/accusatory response to MikeW and my posts the father is less than enthusiastic about posting now and I do not blame him. By the way I was incorrect it was in fact his "Tibia" that was shattered by the hammer blow. Sorry about the Doctor Speak Harald. Now to continue with my original intentions which is to inform. The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin

Even if they do not want to file a police report, it is extremely important that they file a report with the US consulate in Tijuana. I have been in contact with them and to date, no report has been filed and they were completely unaware this had happened. PM me and I can give you the instructions who to contact at the consulate. They depend on these first hand reports to be able to get out the word to other travelers...

skibum - 2-6-2016 at 08:55 PM

Thank you so much for posting this information.

I'd encourage all of the doubters here to drive back and forth through the area in question for a few weeks and report back.

I will be a little more cautious in the area (sadly).

BornFisher - 2-6-2016 at 09:23 PM

This is just another Nomad embarrassment. Like the guy last week who posted a great fish report and got chased off this forum to never post again. WTF folks??? Please put your petty issues aside and try to encourage useful information from those who take the time and effort to inform us here.

Thank you bornfisher

captkw - 2-6-2016 at 09:47 PM

Amen and agree..some folks around HERE have WAYYY too much time and meaness on their hands

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by captkw]

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 11:03 PM

This evening, I was made aware of this thread. If you wish to pursue this story further. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/
The family is being encouraged to contact Brian Simmons who is the U.S. Consulate in Tiajuana. He is aware of the attack and awaiting their call. Thanks again to the number of BN members who have assisted the family and I by U2U messages containing contact numbers.
Here is a post I copied.

Doc Hollywood: This incident did happen as described. I posted it shortly after it happened to this group where it was also met with some disbelief. They had made it to LV and sought additional medical advice from a doc friend of mine as I was in La Paz. I heard the story second hand from that doc. This was a brutal attack and I suspect their plan was to rape the daughter and quite possibly kill the parents. There are a lot of gringos on this end of the peninsula who will have to drive thru that corridor. Chances of an attack are low but the ramifications would be severe. Forewarned is forearmed.

kevind - 2-6-2016 at 11:37 PM

Another recent post from https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

We met these lovely unsupecting folks after they arrived to La Ventana~witness to the physical aftermath, stitches, plaster cast and bruises all the while surprisingly resilient attitude~this was a heinous crime~Pray for Mexico~

JoeJustJoe - 2-7-2016 at 04:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Greetings,

Even if they do not want to file a police report, it is extremely important that they file a report with the US consulate in Tijuana. I have been in contact with them and to date, no report has been filed and they were completely unaware this had happened. PM me and I can give you the instructions who to contact at the consulate. They depend on these first hand reports to be able to get out the word to other travelers...

The time to call the US Consulate in Tijuana, is right after the incident or when they were in the hospital, so the US Consulate could make sure that you as an American Citizen are well taken care of, and hopefully put a little pressure on Mexican authorities to do thorough investigation.

Calling them a month later without corroborating evidence is almost a waste of time, especially when Kivind, says the alleged victim(s) shows a reluctance to get the media and press involved, although supposedly there are multiple Mexican police agencies currently investigating this case, and I take it there will shortly be multiple arrests.

Who is Brian Simmons? I thought William A. Ostick, is the U.S Consul General in Tijuana.

I also like the fact that according to Ron, that the U.S consulate in Tijuana, wants to hear "first hand" reports.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

bajabuddha - 2-7-2016 at 04:49 AM

This is just another Nomad embarrassment. Like the guy last week who posted a great fish report and got chased off this forum to never post again. WTF folks??? Please put your petty issues aside and try to encourage useful information from those who take the time and effort to inform us here.

BF, you need to put TWO spaces in between the end of a sentence ending in a period, and the next starting with a capital letter; otherwise makes it very hard to read and makes my eyes cross (~sarcasm is golden!~). Sowwy for the hijack of a thread that has sadly gone down the terlet, yet again.
;D :rolleyes:

JoeJustJoe - 2-7-2016 at 05:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Nice work Nomads! Maybe not done yet, but I like to see news stories challenged! If they don't hold water, they will fall apart. I wish we did that north of the border :light:

That's why I sometimes like to challenge some of these stories on "Baja Nomad, and if the stories makes sense, and can withstand a challenge without falling apart.

One of my main goals, when I post in a thread like this is to stop the mass hysteria, these types of threads seem to generate without question from the masses.

It's like the masses seem to be saying, "Oh it's story about white Americans getting hurt, or attacked in Mexico, so it must be true, because we know how bad those Mexicans can be. ( I see this mentality on this site all the time)

Then when somebody like me stops and says, "what a minutes, there are a few weird things about the story, and it isn't even a first hand report. At best it's a second and third hand report, and we don't even know the names of the alleged victims, or anything about them. Yet, I'm suppose to automatically take this story as fact!

This story couldn't fly in a courtroom, or any legitimate newspaper without VERIFIABLE corroborating evidence.

So take it easy people, I'm going to continue to have my skepticism until I see more evidence this alleged tragic incident, and I don't think much of Facebook posts, who claim this story is true.

And if anybody thinks I'm being mean to Michaelw, and Kevind, by daring to question their story. Well, the fact is it's NOT their story, they are repeating a story from an unknown source, so they shouldn't take it personally, although I still want to know how they know each other?

BajaGringo - 2-7-2016 at 07:54 AM

Brian Simmons is head of Citizen Services, not the consulate general. He coordinates the consulate efforts when US citizens need assistance in Baja. It is important that the consulate hear the first hand report from the victims of the attack. They have the resources to be able to do their own follow-up to validate the events and formulate any travel warning that would need to be issued in response.

bajabuddha - 2-7-2016 at 09:17 AM

Thank you, Lencho. Another word for 'sarcasm' is 'facetious'. Just trying to lighten things up a little, and no good deed goes unpunished. Also, so I noticed on my own post. Oh well. :coolup:

Sweetwater - 2-7-2016 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by skibum  
Thank you so much for posting this information.

I'd encourage all of the doubters here to drive back and forth through the area in question for a few weeks and report back.

I will be a little more cautious in the area (sadly).

Since I have gone through the San Ignacio checkpoint many times, I do want to kick in and echo a cautionary sentiment. They have rarely been more than superfluous when heading south. But coming north, that has been the only checkpoint where I have witnessed mordita, been subject to a shakedown and have been routinely harassed.

When you have moto riders pull out the entire contents of a 25 liter side bag that only contains clothing, that is harassment. When you witness a local with 2 school daughters dressed in school clothes have their van emptied and the father forced to exchange money, that is mordita. When the inspector asks you to keep a flashlight and tools during the inspection, that is a shakedown. I guess he settled for minor mordita when we told him to take the case of RedBull instead of the flashlight and tools.

I can understand how reluctance to report problems can be minimalized by transients and even locals knowing this is a permanent installation. I think that taking precautions through that checkpoint is wise. Group up if you can and stay together at the other side until the entire group clears.

We watched another car with just a young American couple get hassled blatantly. We waited for them to clear behind us, the young lady was a handsome girl, the young man was clearly shaken and very appreciative that we lingered to provide some support. Their car stayed close to us for a long time. Awareness and caution are never in bad company when your antenna says that everything is not quite right.

Edit: Thanks to the OP for reporting the incident and a good reminder to watch my P's and Q's.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by Sweetwater]

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by Sweetwater]

ughhh

CaboMagic - 2-7-2016 at 10:47 AM

So sorry to read about this horrible incident. Our thoughts and prayers for swift and complete recovery ..

On a soapbox for a moment: My comparatively short time of Baja experience (first drive down for me was in 1996) leads me to make these comments: I'm as proud to be an American as I am to be part of the Mexican world/culture/community/family that I married into. It is a sad truth that there are evil do-ers everywhere - unfortunately the jealousy ignited by the audacious displays of material excess results in reprehensible behavior. I cannot offer a solution but I surely wish there was one .. I'm not suggesting that towing a Hobie cat was 'wrong' ... but my initial thought (6th sense perhaps) was what it was ..

motoged - 2-7-2016 at 11:24 AM

I find the OP's report credible.

I have been the victim of crime in Baja (stolen motor cycle that was "found" after I offered and paid a #15,000 MP reward in San Felipe) ... my "ex" was robbed and dumped on highway by airport in San Jose by her taxi driver and an accomplice he picked up on route to airport....

I have tended to frequently travel solo by truck and moto in Baja and have been lucky to not experience difficulties other than mentioned....although a guy at the Vizcaino Pemex (not employee) made a comment to the pump attendant about my truck, moto and "sicarios" while looking at my setup....

This report is the first time I have considered the value of caravaning with at least another vehicle....

Hopefully this matter will gain more traction than Marine asleep at the wheel in terms of official responses.

chippy - 2-7-2016 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
So sorry to read about this horrible incident. Our thoughts and prayers for swift and complete recovery ..

On a soapbox for a moment: My comparatively short time of Baja experience (first drive down for me was in 1996) leads me to make these comments: I'm as proud to be an American as I am to be part of the Mexican world/culture/community/family that I married into. It is a sad truth that there are evil do-ers everywhere - unfortunately the jealousy ignited by the audacious displays of material excess results in reprehensible behavior. I cannot offer a solution but I surely wish there was one .. I'm not suggesting that towing a Hobie cat was 'wrong' ... but my initial thought (6th sense perhaps) was what it was ..

I`m sorry but that sounds kinda of funny to me coming from someone with a FLEET of sportfishing boats:lol:

Kencito - 2-7-2016 at 11:45 AM

Could someone please clarify if a uniformed military person was seen as part of the trio? Seems like that would put into another realm of seriousness if that was the case.
I agree that it is very important for the US Consulate hear from the victims directly.

Lee - 2-7-2016 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

This report is the first time I have considered the value of caravaning with at least another vehicle....

These people were caravanning down and got separated. It takes a game plan which they lacked. Like, don't get separated.

If military waved them off, they could have hooked up at the Pemex in town. This has me scratching my head. Why didn't the lead driver wait? (Or did I miss this post?)

Lee - 2-7-2016 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
All kinds of reasons not to report this....One is the kind of treatment given to it by some of the Kourageous Keyboard Kowboys on this forum.

Who do you refer to here, Chuck? Not everyone thinks like you do. Not report crime? That's what you're saying you did? Doesn't sound all that Courageous to me.

JoeJustJoe - 2-7-2016 at 12:01 PM

According to a poster on talk Baja this happened at 5 am.
It's unfortunate, but How many times do people have to be told to not drive at night in Baja?

Joe, sometimes you're an a$$hat, this is one of those times.

Goat you believe Doc Hollywood?

Doc Hollywood, can't even get his stories straight. He claims he told this same story right after the alleged incident, and he reported it on "Talk Baja" Facebook. However, Ron, aka Baja Gringo, probably after reading my posts express some doubt, actually questioned Doc Hollywood, and told Doc Hollywood, he searched his posts on "Talk Baja" and there is no record on Doc Holiday, posting anything about this incident!

Doc Holiday, then changed his story, and said, he wrote it on another "Baja Faccebook site, but that "Facebook" site is closed, and we can't see what he said. ( hopefully a member of that site can search that site and find the postings)

Ron, I guess satisfied with Doc Holiday's answer, erased the exchange between himself and Doc Holiday, which rises my eyebrows, and makes me wonder why he erased the exchange?

Doc Holiday's Facebook, page looks a little light, the name Doc Holiday, is probably bogus, keeping in mind, Facebook, requires all members to use their read names. Whenever you see a very light Facebook page like Doc Holiday, it should raise a few red flags, that it could be fake. Of course it could also mean a person just doesn't use Facebook much, or just doesn't have lots of friends or family members.

I'm sorry Goat, but Doc Holiday's, second hand report, is just not that credible to me, although I'm sure a lot of readers on "Baja Nomad' and "Talk Baja" thinks it's irrefutable proof it happen.

Oh one more thing Goat, when I first hinted this report may be bogus, some people like you make a jump, and figured that I was blaming that cult leader, at that other Baja Facebook site, that lives to hate Mexico, Baja, and Rosarito.

No I don't think he or his cult followers had anything to do with this story, but they often jump on stories like this or stories from the travel board comments, and then post those comments on their Facebook pages like it's real news in order to push their anti-Mexico agenda.

Doc Hollywood wrote:This incident did happen as described. I posted it shortly after it happened to this group where it was also met with some disbelief. They had made it to LV and sought additional medical advice from a doc friend of mine as I was in La Paz. I heard the story second hand from that doc. This was a brutal attack and I suspect their plan was to rape the daughter and quite possibly kill the parents.

Lee - 2-7-2016 at 12:24 PM

Define nomad embarrassment? Comments and opinions you don't agree with? Everyone posting has an opinion about this situation -- some even post passionately by name calling.

No one chased a poster away after ''a great fish report.'' I made a comment, apologized for my passion, others agreed with my (and their) inability to read the report, and some took offense to my (and others) opinions.

Are you trying to hijack this thread? You can't censor all the people even if you try.

Explain how you're embarrassed? Maybe you're too sensitive for this forum? Kinda like fish master?

CaboMagic - 2-7-2016 at 12:26 PM

Chippy not that its any of your business - but we don't own a single one of the pangas, boats, cruisers, sportfishers or yachts that we represent for charter.

And I fail to see how anything about this can be amusing.

I expected someone twisted would have some sort of flame response, so there it is.

BajaBudda thank you for always posting that which makes me think and consider ..

Happy Super Bowl Sunday ..

kevind - 2-7-2016 at 01:14 PM

For those of you who would like to read the first hand account of the attack, the mom is sharing the story on Talk Baja

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

chuckie - 2-7-2016 at 01:37 PM

Lee you are a fool, and not a very bright one at that. A few days ago you sent me a U2U apologizing for your previous slander and npw you are repeating yourself. I NEVER said I didn't report the incident, you made that up. I don't think reporting it made or will make any difference. If I did or not is no ones business but mine. I think it is a terrible thing, that when someone shares an experience on Nomads, that they are ridiculed, challenged and told by cowards like you what they should have done. Easy to do tho sitting in the safety of your home, isn't it.? These folks and others have gone through a frightening experience and don't deserve the treatment they are getting from some others. I also never said I was courageous, but I am not a fool...

mtgoat666 - 2-7-2016 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
It is a sad truth that there are evil do-ers everywhere - unfortunately the jealousy ignited by the audacious displays of material excess results in reprehensible behavior. I cannot offer a solution but I surely wish there was one .. I'm not suggesting that towing a Hobie cat was 'wrong' ... but my initial thought (6th sense perhaps) was what it was ..

Not sure you are winning points calling it wrong to tow a hobie cat,... You never win points blaming the victim.

But gringos should think about how they appear, and take care in traveling.
Crime has many causes: income inequality, cultural differences, poverty, sociopathy, drug addiction, bad parenting, economic society that offers little or no Opportunity, etc.
Many gringos have no idea how they appear to Mexicans, and how their 'displays' of wealth (e.g. expensive cars full of "toys") are sometimes inappropriate abroad in countries with extreme poverty or drastic income disparities.

azucena - 2-7-2016 at 01:39 PM

Yes , we all thankfully, I may add, have the right to free speech. But is it always NECESSARY to exercise that right when what you say may just be really hurtful and unproductive? Part of having a brain and a heart is the ability to evaluate and consider ones actions, statements before engaging in them and assessing whether the harm they might cause is ultimately worth it.

Thank you Kevin for your posts and sharing this info. It saddens me deeply what is happening in Baja , and many places in the world. I wish this family healing...

vandenberg - 2-7-2016 at 02:01 PM

After I got convinced this actually happened, I gave some thought to the reason of this happening. Could it be someone made some derogatory remarks at the stop and made some folks extremely mad? Since their was no robbery attempt and , to me, an attempted rape seems unlikely.

Lee - 2-7-2016 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Lee you are a fool, and not a very bright one at that. A few days ago you sent me a U2U apologizing for your previous slander and npw you are repeating yourself. I NEVER said I didn't report the incident, you made that up. I don't think reporting it made or will make any difference. If I did or not is no ones business but mine. I think it is a terrible thing, that when someone shares an experience on Nomads, that they are ridiculed, challenged and told by cowards like you what they should have done. Easy to do tho sitting in the safety of your home, isn't it.? These folks and others have gone through a frightening experience and don't deserve the treatment they are getting from some others. I also never said I was courageous, but I am not a fool...

Gee Chuck. You really are emotional. Why are you even posting here? You don't visit Baja anymore. And what's with the name calling? I apologized out of respect. Doesn't mean I agree with you calling anyone on this forum a coward. And you think I'm a coward? Because I'm willing to stand up for myself? Meet me and you'll have a different opinion.

You've admitted that you pay mordida and would do it again. Isn't that a coward's way out? And not reporting it?

If you want to show me the post where I slandered you, I'll apologize again. It never happened.

If you want to call Pescadero safe, go ahead. You don't know anything about this area.

So, Chuck, take a break. Everyone here has the right to question what's been reported as a crime. Guess you feel differently. Oh, and sorry for the troubles you've had down here. Hope things feel safer for you in Kansas.

I also support Joe's right to express himself freely here even if I don't agree with everything he writes. I believe this crime happened and Talk Baja confirmed that for me.

micah202 - 2-7-2016 at 02:32 PM

...thanks BigWoo and Windgrrl for investigating and confirming enough details to remove most doubt ,to me at least, that the horrible situation happened.

I think some early -productive- skepticism for a story like this IS appropriate,,,not so much the interpersonal drivel. It would be great if that stuff can get back to the OT cesspool where it belongs.

I hope the victims DO follow through with the consul connections they've been given, I feel this is important in getting a proper level of investigation underway,,,before the -next- possible occurrence happens.

......and thanks to michaelW and kevinD raising the situation, and persisting through the necessary skepticism.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by micah202]

mcnut - 2-7-2016 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
After I got convinced this actually happened, I gave some thought to the reason of this happening. Could it be someone made some derogatory remarks at the stop and made some folks extremely mad? Since their was no robbery attempt and , to me, an attempted rape seems unlikely.

I too am left wondering ....... why this happened?

It seems to me that to really address the issue and avoid similar problems in the future will require some understanding of what motivated this hideous attack.

While anything is possible, I doubt towing a Hobi in itself led to this incident. Most every gringo traveling Baja has with them some form of material play things. You even see new looking, large diesel pushers towing equally new looking color/pinstripe matching Jeep Cherokees plying the roads of Baja seemingly w/o drama. IMO not the best image to project but to each his own.

Bruce

JoeJustJoe - 2-7-2016 at 02:54 PM

For those of you who would like to read the first hand account of the attack, the mom is sharing the story on Talk Baja

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

Although it's fun playing devil's advocate. I have to get ready for the Super Bowl.

I do see that Mom is talking over there at Talk Baja, but I also see she isn't adding much to do the story, then what was already said in the second hand reports. I would like to know more about the investigation about the multiple agencies, and if any arrests have been made?

While I'm watching the game, take a look at the Mom's Facebook page, and see if there are family photos, and both family members and friends with a history on the site, because Facebook sites can easily be faked. You could even use an old name and change the name to match whatever name you want.

Check out the Mom's name on Facebook, and see if there is such a person in Bend Oregon on the search sites.Keep in mind women often use maiden names, and if you know how to cross reference for that, and for the husband.

I have to admit, it looks more and more legit, but at the same time, I know people, sick people, that could easily pull Ron's leg over at "Talk Baja" and make it appear they are posting from Bend Oregon and they are the mom.

Well, I have to take a break from the mass hysteria this thread, and the thread over at "Talk Baja" created, where I'm hearing things like Mexicans at the check point, may have been involved in sexual trafficking, and that's the reason why they were interested in the daughter!

michaelw - 2-7-2016 at 03:43 PM

Hello Nomads

I am the guy who posted the original message in this thread. In it, I made no claim to having first hand information. I simply recounted the story and asked the community for further information that would either corroborate or disprove the story.

Ultimately, the post by Pescador, the pictures, and the posts by Doc Hollywood on the TalkBaja Facebook thread point and the first person account by the mother involved (also on the TalkBaja Facebook thread) would indicate to anyone with a shred of common sense that this attack did happen.

The mother chose to tell her story on TalkBaja, rather than the Baja Nomad site, because after reading the the venomous, spiteful posts by JoeJustJoe, 4x4abc, and others, she was so disgusted she took her account elsewhere.

In the end, their actions deprived Nomad members of the first person account that everyone was interested in getting.

My original post, along with kevind's, was intended as a service to fellow travelers. Having seen the ugly nature of numerous individuals who posted on this thread, I doubt I would ever, in the future, offer this kind of information even if I felt it might be useful in a very serious way to other folks traveling down the peninsula. It is simply not worth putting up with the disgusting blowback you see in this thread.

I leave in the morning to drive down the peninsula and intend to enjoy the drive and Mexican people as I have for 40 years.
I will, however, pay a little more attention and am grateful for the fact that this family was willing to share their story.

Safe travels to all.
Mike Weis

wessongroup - 2-7-2016 at 04:15 PM

Thanks Mike ... as it should be

LancairDriver - 2-7-2016 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Thanks Mike ... as it should be

Unfortunately, we will never know how many helpful, constructive, contributions are lost to this forum due to the vicious attacks by the same few every time. Osprey posted a comment recently in words to the effect that the commentary was getting more civil. It was looking pretty good for awhile with a lot of new Nomads adding positive information. Sadly it didn't last long.
I for one would have liked to hear the woman's account of what happened.

kevind - 2-7-2016 at 06:01 PM

JoeJustJoe writes: "Although it's fun playing devil's advocate. I have to get ready for the Super Bowl".
This thread has been discussing the elements surrounding a vicious attack on a father and his wife and daughter as well as the dissemination of specific locations and other pertinent information that could save fellow Baja travelers from a similar fate and you flippantly remark:"Although it's fun playing devil's advocate. I have to get ready for the Super Bowl".
I find your choice of words disgusting and bordering on the imbecilic. I do not understand how your fellow members of Baja Nomad tolerate your blather and spew. Words like "Now speaking from a personal frame point. If it was me and my family, I would not rest until the perpetrators were behind bars, or 6 feet under. Right on Joe. You can do it all including putting them 6 feet under. You're the man for sure!
Is there not some other less destructive manner that you could garner attention? I sense from the collective response to your emotionless, frozen spittle laden diatribes that your reputation is sodden to say the least. People like you and a few others are managing to destroy the efficacy of this site. You literally embody the term Anti Social Media. You and a few other members on this site do a disservice with your disruptive narcissism. You in particular exhibit traits of outright paranoia. You might think about changing your mood to "dumb as hell", or "inconsiderate as hell".
To the rest of the members please feel free to take my single star junior nomad status away, but before doing so, accept my apology for the RANT. I just could not take his idiotic BS any longer.

[Edited on 2-8-2016 by kevind]

[Edited on 2-8-2016 by kevind]

BajaNomad - 2-7-2016 at 09:23 PM

From Talk Baja FB Group:

"There are some inaccuracies in the story that was relayed. My daughter and I did not recognize the men from the check point. I was asleep at that time. The uniforms worn by the attackers were the same as they wore at the check points. We could not identify anyone. We were able to give vague descriptions only."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/123555593...

wessongroup - 2-7-2016 at 09:32 PM

Well done
 Pages:  1    3