BajaNomad

Importing a NEW auto from Mexico to USA?

CortezBlue - 2-12-2016 at 04:56 PM

I was out looking at some of the tiny Fiat, Mitsubishi trucks today. They are so reasonable I am thinking of buying one to take up to the states. Has anyone dealt with this?

I am not sure if Mexico has the same safety standards that we do and I don't want to get stuck with a huge bill to make it legal.

Tanks

bajaguy - 2-12-2016 at 05:03 PM

You will probably have a pile of trouble with EPA, DOT and NHTSA regulations/laws

Bajahowodd - 2-12-2016 at 05:18 PM

US safety standards are much stricter that in Mexico. bajaguy is correct. You ought to shop the vehicles you like NOB and make a decision.

Lizzers - 2-20-2016 at 09:17 PM

Oh boy, I went through this recently and my advice based on the experience - do not try it. Most of the Customs officials do not know the import rules and you've also got the EPA and DOT chiming in. I was told I could not bring in my Mexican plated vehicle that was made in the USA to the USA but that I would have been able to permanently import if it was Canadian made and Mexican plated. Go figure. I did my homework and had all of the correct paperwork, but in the end they did not allow me to do it.

DENNIS - 2-21-2016 at 08:13 AM

Sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

WideAngleWandering - 2-21-2016 at 10:46 AM

People import vehicles into the states all the time but generally only vehicles that are more than 25 years old are easily importable (there are exceptions but I believe you need assistance from the manufacturer) and it mud be a chassis that was sold in the US and meets dot safer standards.

Mulegena - 2-21-2016 at 11:19 AM

Here's the Word, and the word was tough-to-impossible to do: http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Tioloco - 2-21-2016 at 12:43 PM

Cortez, I can't see what would keep you from driving your vehicle around with Mexican plates in Phoenix. I see it every day. Just a thought, but if you live in the USA and Mexico why not have a Mexican vehicle?

Udo - 2-21-2016 at 02:50 PM

There are hundred of vehicles imported into the US, but mostly from Europe.
The general rule of thumb is you must drive the vehicle at least six months in the country that it was purchased from.
Then go to the DMV in the US state that you wish to register the car in.
If there is any difference in sales taxes paid to the country and the state to be registered, that will have to be paid to that state.
The vehicle will be registered as a "GRAY MARKET VEHICLE" and will be designated as such on the title.

Bob and Susan - 2-21-2016 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
There are hundred of vehicles imported into the US, but mostly from Europe.
The general rule of thumb is you must drive the vehicle at least six months in the country that it was purchased from.
Then go to the DMV in the US state that you wish to register the car in.
If there is any difference in sales taxes paid to the country and the state to be registered, that will have to be paid to that state.
The vehicle will be registered as a "GRAY MARKET VEHICLE" and will be designated as such on the title.

that's not exactly true...if you buy a new car from the factory in another country and it has usa specs THEN to protect franchises in the usa you keep it for a time in the other country and import it USED.

I don't remember it being 6 months because you could go on vacation...pick up your car at the factory and drive it around in the other country...then ship it to the usa by boat...it didn't take 6 months till you got the plates...as I remember

if it was easy to register weird cars i'd have one of those little "throw away" yard pick-ups called Kei pickups
4x4 and perfect for baja

WideAngleWandering - 2-21-2016 at 04:17 PM

My '84 Landcruiser was imported from Honduras. In the Toyota community, we go by the "25 year old" rule.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/importing-threads-first-read...

bajatrailrider - 2-21-2016 at 05:18 PM

My new(in 2014) Mexican turbo diesel Nissan pick up.Could never ever get USA plate.I drive it in the states all I want.With Mex lic,insurance.