BajaNomad

Completion Baja Road

Pfish - 2-19-2016 at 11:31 AM

Quick question: I live in San Diego and enjoy going to LA Bay. One of my major vexes is the drive down through Ensenada and San Quentin. It is my understanding that you could go over El Cajon pass, take a very nice road down to Puertocitos and then keep going only to encounter a 23-30 mile stretch of dirt road that leads out to Baja 1. Since I would be towing a boat, I am bit skeptical of the dirt road thing as I don't want to lose an axle,bearing/tire. So....are there plans to complete the road to Baja1? Where does the road let out? Above or below Catavina? Thanks for any information Nomads!

Udo - 2-19-2016 at 11:58 AM

There IS a tire shop at the end of Mex 5 where it connects to Mex 1.

Boat towing is dependent upon the trailer that the boat is on. If the trailer has 8 or 10" tires that have to run 60 psi, I would not do it. Letting the air down on such tire would be detrimental.

As far as completing the road...2-3 years away.

WideAngleWandering - 2-19-2016 at 12:00 PM

Last year that road was paved to just shy of coco's corner and still had xx miles of rocky dirt. I see semi trucks and travel trailers on it all the time, but they are going 5-10mph. Hwy 1 is certain easier all the way if you have no desire to visit gonzaga bay or coco.

It reconnects with hwy 1 at chapala, about 25-30 miles south of cataviña.

gallesram - 2-19-2016 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pfish  
Quick question: I live in San Diego and enjoy going to LA Bay. One of my major vexes is the drive down through Ensenada and San Quentin. It is my understanding that you could go over El Cajon pass, take a very nice road down to Puertocitos and then keep going only to encounter a 23-30 mile stretch of dirt road that leads out to Baja 1. Since I would be towing a boat, I am bit skeptical of the dirt road thing as I don't want to lose an axle,bearing/tire. So....are there plans to complete the road to Baja1? Where does the road let out? Above or below Catavina? Thanks for any information Nomads!

There is a pretty extensive thread on the road condition as well as pulling a trailer on it; you may want to check it out (link below):

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81659

[Edited on 2-19-2016 by gallesram]

willardguy - 2-19-2016 at 12:05 PM

give it a go, waaay better than that slog through the san quintin valley....(I think!)

bajaguy - 2-19-2016 at 12:08 PM

Apparently the federal government released funding to complete 5 bridges and 31km of road to the junction of Hwy 1

If I owned a boat or RV I wouldn't take Hwy 5. Enjoy the vex, it's not that bad. Stop for breakfast at "Mi San Quintin", at the very north end of San Quintin. It's located on the west side of the highway (your right side headed south), right next door to COFEMA, the hardware store, a few hundred yards south of the first traffic light at the big dip.....good food and internet

Pfish - 2-19-2016 at 12:17 PM

Gallesram, thank you much for the thread. I appreciate it. Question: Does it save any time to go this route from San Diego? If the roads are better and there is not much to slow you down, is there a difference in time from San Diego vs. taking Baja 1?

bajaguy - 2-19-2016 at 12:22 PM

I would much rather deal with the "non-issue" of traffic on Hwy 1 and have the choices of PEMEX stations and places to eat. We leave Ensenada between 6-6:30am and have a clear road south. Breakfast in San Quintin

TMW - 2-19-2016 at 03:10 PM

What others have said. If pulling a trailer you won't save much time if any. Not pulling a trailer I think you save time because you don't have all the speed bumps and traffic lights and various towns and traffic that slows you down because of poor passing conditions. From San Diego you can cross at TJ and take Ave 2000 east to connect with the toll road to Mexicali. Before Mexicali follow the two lane toll to Hwy 5. Very little to hold you up to San Felipe. South of San Felipe it's a clear shot to Gonzaga Bay and about 10-12 miles further. Graded road to Cocos and out to Hwy 1. Much of the highway is 60-70 mph posted.

David K - 2-19-2016 at 05:03 PM

It is Mexico #1, and the main difference is:

Mex. 1: All Paved

Mex. 5: 23 miles unpaved
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mex. 1: Two cities and many, many towns to drive through + lots of mountain driving (Maneadero-Colonet, 65 miles + El Rosario-El Arenoso, 25 miles)

Mex. 5: One city and one large town to drive through + two mountains to drive over (Puertecitos-El Huerfanito, 15 miles + Coco's Corner to Laguna Chapala Valley, <10 mtn. miles)

Reeljob - 2-19-2016 at 10:25 PM

Came thru there today. 22 miles of very rough road. Have good tires, take it slow and a great shortcut to the border at Calexico.

seaker236 - 2-23-2016 at 08:11 AM

https://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureArticle_BajaHighwayGraham_02...

KurtG - 2-23-2016 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Reeljob  
Came thru there today. 22 miles of very rough road. Have good tires, take it slow and a great shortcut to the border at Calexico.

I guess its highly subjective but last week I thought the dirt road to be in good condition compared to the big ruts and rocky sections in past years. I met a large boat, 25'or so, being slowly towed but looked like a very sturdy trailer.

David K - 2-23-2016 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by seaker236  

The only correction would be Gary's measurement of the minimum width of 1973's Highway One. It was/is just 19 feet... not 33 in the narrow sections from San Quintin on south to San Ignacio.

bajaguy - 2-23-2016 at 08:43 AM

The second correction would be regarding his comment "Plans are to ultimately create an Ensenada bypass to avoid congestion created by Box Stores on Mex 1 south of town.".........Duh....wonder where he has been. The bypass is being developed to re-route commercial truck traffic around town, not because of congestion at Coatco, Wal-Mart or Home Depot

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The only correction would be Gary's measurement of the minimum width of 1973's Highway One. It was/is just 19 feet... not 33 in the narrow sections from San Quintin on south to San Ignacio.

David K - 2-23-2016 at 08:57 AM

Blaming Costco for traffic through Ensenada is pretty rich.

Mex 5 completed this year?

unbob - 2-24-2016 at 10:55 AM

Gary's article also says: "UPON COMPLETION LATER this year, Mex 5 — entering at Mexicali direct or Tijuana\Ensenada via Mex 3 — will become the favored Gateway to the Baja Peninsula bypassing all west coast development and congestion."

Really!? Anyone believe that's likely/possible? I want to believe!

bajaguy - 2-24-2016 at 10:59 AM

They have 5 bridges and about 31 KM to go

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Gary's article also says: "UPON COMPLETION LATER this year, Mex 5 — entering at Mexicali direct or Tijuana\Ensenada via Mex 3 — will become the favored Gateway to the Baja Peninsula bypassing all west coast development and congestion."

Really!? Anyone believe that's likely/possible? I want to believe!

willardguy - 2-24-2016 at 10:59 AM

I believe it!

Cliffy - 2-24-2016 at 08:58 PM

Forty five years ago Papa Fernandaz told me that the road to San Felipe would be paved soon. He was only off by 4 decades.

David K - 2-24-2016 at 09:06 PM

That's what happens when you believe a politician! I remember in 1974 hearing the highway would be paved south from San Felipe from the owner of Nuevo Mazatlan real soon.

PaulW - 2-25-2016 at 07:46 AM

And before they built the new bridge west of S Ignacio there were places that the road was less than 16' wide from white line to white line. Big issue since the semis could not pass each other. I followed one and his dual tires were on top of the white and yellow line. In that location the guard rail was heavily scraped.
===========
Quote: Originally posted by seaker236  

Rallyroo - 3-3-2016 at 01:20 PM

One of the many bridges getting built. They're just plowing straight through the mountains literally in a straight line with practically no curves and no elevation change. Definitely no environmental impact study done.

Last week.

motoged - 3-3-2016 at 01:35 PM

Maybe when I retire I will set up a taco cart at one of the scenic lookouts along the way.....

bajaguy - 3-3-2016 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rallyroo  
Definitely no environmental impact study done.

Hahahaha............or competent engineering/geological work either

rts551 - 3-3-2016 at 04:15 PM

Given the number of people and and the amount of equipment working, the road will be completed sooner than 2-3 years. They are moving relatively fast.

rts551 - 3-3-2016 at 04:17 PM

That's what happens when you believe a politician! I remember in 1974 hearing the highway would be paved south from San Felipe from the owner of Nuevo Mazatlan real soon.

Glad no politics are entering this discussion! :no:

TMW - 3-4-2016 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Rallyroo  
Definitely no environmental impact study done.

Hahahaha............or competent engineering/geological work either

I think the new hwy down to Gonzaga Bay and beyond is among the best done in Baja. A lot of environmental study complaints or challenges are done to hold up a project by those that may be affected by it in ways not to do with the environment.