BajaNomad

Caravan to San Ignacio in March

Whalesmakemehappy - 2-19-2016 at 08:47 PM

Hi we are two Brits based in LA, heading to San Ignacio in March with the hope of hugging some whales, a few Cali locals have expressed concern about us driving in Mexico but my understanding is as long as we are careful and don't drive after dark. So general advice on safety and if anyone else is traveling in March and wants to caravan? Let me know! Thanks all!

DianaT - 2-20-2016 at 12:12 PM

Check out the closed facebook page and ask to join
Baja Caravans

The creator of this page known as Baja Gringo around here, started the very successful facebook page,

Talk Baja

He had so many requests for the idea of caravans, he started the second page dedicated to people who want to Caravan. It became a closed group because of safety concerns, but do request to join. It is where you are the most apt to find someone to caravan with.

San Ignacio is magnificent and the Lagoon is the best. Have a great time.

And yes, do not drive after dark and plan on all distances talking longer than you might expect.

[Edited on 2-20-2016 by DianaT]

WideAngleWandering - 2-20-2016 at 12:41 PM

I'm heading down myself soon to hug whales in Ojo de Liebre, just south of Guerrero negro. I've got too many vehicles in my caravan as it is but happy to offer advice on the drive. Don't listen to folks in LA who have never driven the peninsula. Do your research, employ common sense, and you'll be fine.

What kind of vehicle will you drive?

repentsinner - 2-21-2016 at 01:14 PM

@Whalesmakemehappy, when in March are you looking to go? I'm heading down to meet @WideAngleWandering, but can't travel on the same dates as him. I'm aiming to leave LA on Feb 29, or maybe March 1.

Bajahowodd - 2-21-2016 at 05:46 PM

Maybe Shari might take exception, but our experience has been that the earlier in March you go, the better your chances. Mams and calves begin migrating by mid-March.

WideAngleWandering - 2-22-2016 at 09:33 AM

I think you're right - at least in Ojo de Liebre the whales start shipping out in March. There will be much fewer at the end of March than the beginning. Don't dawdle on this one folks, get your asses to Mexico!

DianaT - 2-22-2016 at 10:53 AM

The whales usually arrive later at the San Ignacio Lagoon and leave later. We have been at San Ignacio later in March and it has always been good. They don't close down until the middle of April.

The town of San Ignacio is one of the best in Baja California Sur and if you don't want to drive out to the lagoon on your own, there are a few official tour agencies in town that will take you out there.

Here is a link to our favorite, Kuyima Eco Tours

But the others are also very good. We usually drive out to the lagoon on our own and then go out with Kuyima. It is all part of the official ejido groups.

We have been to all three of the lagoons and they are all different. We had one very bad experience at Ojo and will not return there. But, it is the favorite of many.

One downside of March is that it tends to be more windy everywhere. If you are driving out to the San Ignacio Lagoon on your own, you can check in town and they will tell you if it is too windy to go out. Also, we were out once when the wind came up and they are so considerate. They drove the boat very slowly to try and keep us dry and then dropped us off quite a ways from their base and sent a van to pick us up.

Where ever you go, have a great time, and I hope you checked out the facebook Baja Caravan page linked to above.

WideAngleWandering - 2-22-2016 at 12:17 PM

This is a good segue to a quick thread hijack. I've stopped in San Ignacio for lunch on previous trips but this time I nigh be looking for a place to stay on my way north. Given that its whale season, how hard would it be to find camping or accommodation?

I'm thinking San Ignacio because its probably about as far north as I'll get in one day's driving from El Sargento/La Ventana.