BajaNomad

Fireproofing palm tree thatch roof

BornFisher - 2-21-2016 at 06:00 PM

I googled it and found lots of products. But I want some Nomad input on this. I have a level patch of thatch about 6' by 18'. It`s really dry now and fireworks worry me. I`m thinking of covering it with plywood as I don`t think a spent skyrocket would have enough heat to light up plywood. Any suggestions??

roof.JPG - 133kB

norte - 2-21-2016 at 06:17 PM

I would not rely any any product that claims to fireproof a thatch roof.

woody with a view - 2-21-2016 at 06:33 PM

they make a fire rated plywood.

bajaguy - 2-21-2016 at 06:44 PM

Spray on some cement

mtgoat666 - 2-21-2016 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I googled it and found lots of products. But I want some Nomad input on this. I have a level patch of thatch about 6' by 18'. It`s really dry now and fireworks worry me. I`m thinking of covering it with plywood as I don`t think a spent skyrocket would have enough heat to light up plywood. Any suggestions??

Why would you cover Palm with plywood?
Tear it down and put up a real roof.
Whole thing is under 150 sq ft, so would not cost much to replace with proper roofing material.

Udo - 2-21-2016 at 07:19 PM

There is a lot to be said for the palapa roof, the first of which is the ambience of Baja and the rustic nature of the roof.
Take a look at a company called http://www.thatchco.com The stuff isn't cheap but it works.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Whole thing is under 150 sq ft, so would not cost much to replace with proper roofing material.

BornFisher - 2-21-2016 at 07:28 PM

I would cover it because I like it and want it. Covering it would not take away from the the beauty and feel it provides as I only view it from below.

monoloco - 2-21-2016 at 08:48 PM

I would cover it because I like it and want it. Covering it would not take away from the the beauty and feel it provides as I only view it from below.
How would you go about attaching the plywood so it didn't blow away with the first wind storm?

BornFisher - 2-21-2016 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

How would you go about attaching the plywood so it didn't blow away with the first wind storm?

Nails or screws into the framing.

mtgoat666 - 2-21-2016 at 08:58 PM

Use zip ties. Add some rocks to weigh it down. Cinder block weights would add that classy touch!

Fireproofing

MrBillM - 2-21-2016 at 09:10 PM

Having had a 10 x 10 Thatch Palapa done in Baja reasonably for (at the time) $600 (built over an existing elevated pad), I was intrigued when I saw a contractor's truck one day in Palm Desert for an outfit that did Thatch-Roof Patios.

Mentioning it later to a neighbor in Baja who lived in San Diego, he said "Yeah, I checked into it once for my backyard up North. $4,000.00. Supposedly due to the fire-resistance codes ".

SO, obviously, whatever treatment product that THEY use meets code requirements.

Mulegena - 2-21-2016 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Nails or screws into the framing.
Two-inch wood screws with washers would secure the plywood into the stringers. Then paint it with roof coating to keep the plywood sun- and rain-resistant. You'd still enjoy the rustic interior palapa ceiling, the roof-edge palm-frond fringe, and would have a safer, better insulated rooftop. For aesthetics, I assume the rooftop can't be seen from ground-level. Edited to add that another option would be to use corrugated aluminum sheeting, same screws & washers, same roof-coating, rather than plywood.

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Mulegena]

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Mulegena]

mcfez - 2-21-2016 at 10:06 PM

Barrier Foil acts as both a fire resistant barrier and a thermally reflective insulator. An added advantage is that, once it is fixed to the roofing laths, the foil provides a weatherproof covering to the the roof during the thatching operation. We used this in two of my nightclubs.

rts551 - 2-22-2016 at 07:19 AM

How do these barriers make the palm fireproof?

DavidT - 2-22-2016 at 08:55 AM

Johnstan Company
5401 Linda Vista Rd
San Diego
(619) 574-06one zero

The only information I could find on them. Stan died several years ago and I don't know if the company is still around.
They made a water based solution that was used on the palm frond roof on the tiki hut at Mission Bay Deli. The frond would burn in the direct flame of a lighter but wouldn't spread and went out as soon as you took the lighter away.

Cancamo - 2-22-2016 at 01:05 PM

I was a State Fire Marshal licensed Flameproofer for over 12 years. What we used for this type of application, (natural cellulose based materials), worked great, provided it wasn't exposed to sun or moisture in which it broke down in time. This would work with periodic applications, although not approved for permanent use.
Most of all our was done indoors, mainly on decorative materials. The only product approved for exterior use at that time was an intumescent paint. Of course you would be changing the appearance of the palma using this product, (although the paint is tintable).
No easy solution while maintaining natural appearance of the leaves.

Check with those who build them

MrBillM - 2-22-2016 at 04:25 PM

http://www.sdpalapas.com

Gulliver - 2-22-2016 at 07:08 PM

Ask the folks down at Puerto Escondido at the trailer court about thatch roofs. Not so good. They are not allowed in the Oasis (Mulege) any more. And if you don't keep the beard cut back on your palms it will be an issue.

I think that the combination of fire and wind have made thatch a thing of the past if you either have neighbors or wish to insure your place.

I like my fiberglass fake tile just fine. Thatch is for beach palapas.

bajajudy - 2-22-2016 at 08:20 PM

Wet it down when there are fireworks

mcfez - 2-23-2016 at 01:24 PM

Saves the house. Water proofing fan leaf(s) is certainly not reliable. Not allowed in San Francisco for this reason......unless a barrier is applied. Better than no protection.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
How do these barriers make the palm fireproof?