BajaNomad

Globe Trekker

white whale - 2-22-2016 at 06:21 PM

travel TV show had a Baja DVD 40+ min clip at my library. The series is more backpack, offbeat travel. Host is British so more humorous than most travel shows.
Does the road via hitch and local bus.

New thing I learned was the huge salt mine at Guerrero Nergro.
Seems you can do a tour or explore on your own - true? worthy of a visit?

rooster ( other word got bleeped out) fighting too - serious action was shown. They walk past drying pig skin,
like clothes drying outside. No explanation given.

In the direction of B los A, he shows a secluded cresent shaped beach - perfection - camera pans away from water to show 50+ RV's , campers etc.
all lined up in a row. There were some palapa huts. Just curious :

would this be somewhat typical of baja beach camping,
would this be state sanctioned camping , someone collects a fee? Rules?
would you have generators wailing away all day?

Lots more shown. Probably on-line somewhere too.

David K - 2-22-2016 at 06:28 PM

Is this the show?: http://www.pilotguides.com/tv-shows/globe-trekker/series-02/...

There is a short preview you can watch.

white whale - 2-22-2016 at 10:11 PM

Yes, that was the episode.

-------

Bleeped, meant to say filtered. For the rooster mention in the post.

WideAngleWandering - 2-23-2016 at 02:59 AM

Salt mines - I hear you can get a tour. Shari here would probably point you in the right direction.

I'm told they really don't like people wandering around back there. My limited experience is they are pretty protective, and I know folks who've been booted for fossil hunting back there.

I spent the night on a ranch with a bunch of fighting c-cks after a mechanical breakdown. Never heard a chicken growl before.

Baja camping is very diverse, from remote boondocking to semi-permanent RV camps.

wilderone - 2-23-2016 at 08:40 AM

The road through the salt processing is closed to the public except during whale season. When you drive through to get to the whale pangas and campground, you can see the operations - heaps of salt, drying ponds. Actual processing and putting into containers I'd like to see - not sure where that's done.
Yes, there are beautiful bays lined with campers. Off season (summer) there may not be such a crowd. Generators, loud music, the midnight revelers - you might experience or not. Some people go for that reason, and others want peace and quiet. RVs with generators - those people will never get it. Which is why I have, for many years now, sought out more remote places. There are plenty of those too. Easy access usually means someone will be collecting a fee. $3-8 USD +-
Pig skins, cattle skins, etc. might be for saddles, chairs. I once saw strips of leather drying - probably for lashing or saddles, bridles.
Baja has many facets. If you can get out to the remote ranchos and see their way of life, you'll see a lot of traditional ways still in practice.

David K - 2-23-2016 at 08:47 AM

The salt was originally shipped out from Black Warrior Lagoon (Laguna Guerrero Negro) from the mid-1950's to the mid-1960's. Then a new port was made in Scammon's Lagoon (Laguna Ojo de Liebre) that barged the salt out to Cedros Island where it was transferred onto deep sea freighters bound for Japan and other points.

Here's some more history: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/guerrero...

wilderone - 2-23-2016 at 10:24 AM

I have a 29 oz. container of Ojo de Liebre, Exportadora de Sal salt. Called Baja Pacific. Label says "high quality salt produced from brines retrieved from sea water through solar evaporation, insuring 100% envronmental compatibility". www.saldemesa.com email if you want to inquire re tours. I think my brother got it at a 99 cent store in San Diego.