BajaNomad

3G...Data in Campos South of San Felipe

Borregoman - 2-25-2016 at 11:42 AM

The last time I was at Bahia Santa Maria was 3 years ago and I was able make calls on my iPhone via the Telcel network with my ATT sim installed.

I have been using a Telcel sim in my phone when I have traveled in MX since that has an included data plan.

I would like to know if anyone has used such a sim (Telcel Phone+Data) south of San Felipe.

Cheers

4x4abc - 2-25-2016 at 12:37 PM

I thought the idea of Baja was to get away from this

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2016 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I have observed that many people feel a need to post real-time vacation updates to facebook, apparently so y'all know what they are doing every day while away.
There is nothing more pathetic than people posting vacation updates while they are on vacation,...

David K - 2-25-2016 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I have observed that many people feel a need to post real-time vacation updates to facebook, apparently so y'all know what they are doing every day while away.
There is nothing more pathetic than people posting vacation updates while they are on vacation,...

Yes there is... complaining about what people do on vacation!

mrfatboy - 2-25-2016 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes there is... complaining about what people do on vacation!

LOL. Nice one. BTW. I'm having a great time in Puerto Vallarta now. I would post a pic but I don't want to brag: ) I will post my Otay Mesa ped crossing report when I get back. ;)

mrfatboy - 2-25-2016 at 02:27 PM

BTW. To stay on topic, I have a telcel sim. The data part drops off somewhere towards Percebu. You might be able to send phone texts but that is it. No Bueno.

Borregoman - 2-25-2016 at 02:45 PM

Wife is taking a college online class that goes through May....can't wait until it is over to get down there.

[Edited on 2-25-2016 by Borregoman]

David K - 2-25-2016 at 06:43 PM

Like MrFatBoy says... Percebu may be it? The last cell tower is at Punta Estrella. Anyone at other South Campos get data on their smart phones?

Gulliver - 2-25-2016 at 08:54 PM

Who's on vacation?

I live down here for six months at a time and use the internet regularly to pay my bills and order stuff and laugh at politicians and read this drivel and watch cat videos and. . . . . . . .

I find that my DSL connection in Mulege is faster than the one up in Washington State. And costs less. Hmm.

bajaguy - 2-25-2016 at 08:56 PM

Who died and made you the "Vacation Police"???

WestyWanderer - 2-29-2016 at 10:57 PM

Just returned from the south campos today, right around Percebu is about it for data/ cell service in general. We have the new AT&T Mexico plan and it worked great in Mexicali and San Felipe, spotty in between the two, and only good south of San Felipe to Percebu or so. im sure there are pockets of service below Percebu that you might be able to find by we were driving to La Costilla so we weren't looking for them.

Borregoman - 3-2-2016 at 05:34 PM

I've been wanting to purchase a weBoost mobile cellular booster (50db gain) for awhile now, mainly for my RV wanderings and to see if it would work in Bahia Santa Maria. I guess I am going to get my chance!

I am going to put a directional wide-band antenna on it and from the second story roof I have a clear shot to Percebu and San Felipe. As the crow flies, figure I am about 14 miles south of Percebu.

I can get a 3 gig data card I can drop in my AT&T hotspot, good for 30 days for $55 shipped to my house. That would be more than enough for me for two weeks if it works.

Amplifier

Directional Antenna

They make a more powerful one (70db gain) for strictly home use at twice the price, but that would not serve my RV use.

David K - 3-2-2016 at 06:34 PM

BSM is only about 6 miles south of Percebu, but the cell tower is at Punta Estrella. That is closer to your figure.

exede_san_felipe - 3-16-2016 at 08:13 AM

Hi, i am en exede installer in that area, i have done around 30 installations in the south camps and at this moment i have not receive a complaint, feel free to contact me thru here or check my FB page at www.facebook.com/exede.san.felipe, you are alway welcome to ask!!