BajaNomad

Trailer my Jeep or tow 4 down?

rocmoc - 3-2-2016 at 08:07 AM

Bringing my Jeep down on the next trip behind the Motorhome. My preference is to trailer but my concern is the security of my trailer. Jeep is older and sticks out like a sore thumb but trailer is nicer than the Jeep & more useful to other persons. To 4 down I have to use a difference set of rims & tires that are better for the highway and not as good off-road. If I trailer I can leave the dirt setup on the Jeep. Have pulled a trailer so much it is not a big deal for me. Would you leave the trailer home? Either way will enjoy the trip!!!!!

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

ehall - 3-2-2016 at 09:51 AM

use the trailer and locking hitch pin just to keep the honest people honest.

Jeep

J.P. - 3-2-2016 at 10:00 AM

Looks like you pretty much answered your own question.
My JEEP is always towed 4 down but it's stock any vehicle with altered suspension could be problematic towing 4 down.

WestyWanderer - 3-2-2016 at 01:08 PM

Where are you headed? For how long? Are you planning on leaving the trailer unhooked and unattended for any length of time? Its always a risk bringing anything to Baja but I wouldn't worry to much.

rocmoc - 3-3-2016 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Where are you headed? For how long? Are you planning on leaving the trailer unhooked and unattended for any length of time? Its always a risk bringing anything to Baja but I wouldn't worry to much.

Precautions are the same in USA or Mexico. Headed down in the Spring or fall depending on the weather. Trailer ALWAYS has a pin/hitch lock, cable locks, wheel locks and a log chain locked between the MH and trailer. Unattended depends on our if you consider our Dobie / dog that remains behind as unattended. Been traveling Mexico for over 20 years and never worry as I don't leave community property out for use, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by rocmoc]

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by rocmoc]

rocmoc - 3-3-2016 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
Looks like you pretty much answered your own question.
My JEEP is always towed 4 down but it's stock any vehicle with altered suspension could be problematic towing 4 down.

Altered suspension is only minor. Biggest thing is rims & tires.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

Perceburzr - 3-3-2016 at 10:07 PM

I would recommend towing on a trailer.A few years ago we towed our Jeep on a trailer down to Cabo and back. No Problems.

rocmoc - 3-5-2016 at 07:03 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. My preference is to use the trailer just in case I break the Jeep and save wear & tear on drivetrain.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

BajaMama - 3-5-2016 at 07:44 AM

We have jeep that is pretty souped up - we do lots of the runs in the Nor Cal Sierras - so obviously not stock. When we go hunting or such we tow on a trailer. We have towed boats in Mexico, but not the jeep, but Hwy. 1 is so nice these days you should be fine to two.