BajaNomad

Guitar Players?

motoged - 3-2-2016 at 11:20 AM

Who plays guitar, what kind(s), and what do you do when you are in Baja for strings, etc. ???? :?:

I have resumed playing after a hiatus of about 25 years (work and motorcycles got in the way....). While I played in a hack high school band for a year with a horrible electric guitar (Kent strat copy....1967), I mostly played acoustic from 1965 to 1990 (Harmony Sovereign was first half decent guitar...traded in on Yamaha FG500 Nippon Gakki Red Label in 1970......played in coffee houses and the living room....lotsa Dylan, Eagles, and all that 70's stuff.

About a year and a half ago I walked into a pawn shop after thinking I wanted to resume playing....but more electric than acoustic....and got hooked with an $80 Epiphone Les Paul copy and a $40 practice amp.

Over past year I have collected a half dozen electrics (Chinese and Korean copies which are astoundingly good guitars), each with its own sound and appeal....

My playing is improving and my next goal is to learn some good blues licks.....(Youtube....yay !!! ) and then hang out with some other players to learn that way.

What do you Nomad players do for that itch when in Baja?

bajabuddha - 3-2-2016 at 12:03 PM

Need strings? Santa Rosalia, top of the hill is a shop on the south side of the down-hill road that sells strings. Also where the fire was used to be a shop (dunno if it got consumed) that sells instruments. To the north of the entrance to the town on Hwy 1 just past the old smelter is an Electronico store that I bought a cool sparkly purple Bass guitar from for a whopping $90 u.s, and all swap meets and Shack's 5th Avenue venues usually have something findable. I grabbed an old neglected '92 Korean Stratocaster from the Loreto swap meet for $75 u.s., took it all the way down, cleaned it up both dirt and electrical connections, new strings.... it's for sale btw.

Best advice is, if you have an axe, pull it out and start to strum.

.....IF YOU PLAY IT, THEY WILL COME. :cool:

.....One further note: I recommend if you have an acoustic it's and are travelling from high elevations / different climate to Baja and sea level / ocean climes, best to de-tune all your strings first. The change in humidity, temps and elevation can cause serious problems with glue joints, especially the neck. I know, my old '57 Hagstrom had to be re-glued twice now; horrible feeling to discover your lover has a broken neck when you're in the mood to play...... :no:

[Edited on 3-2-2016 by bajabuddha]

Ateo - 3-2-2016 at 01:12 PM

Fender Telecaster with Fender Twin Reverb amp.

I don't break strings in Baja.

:)

motoged - 3-2-2016 at 01:14 PM

BB,
Good points....and gems hidden in Santa Rosalia :biggrin:

One of my pawn shop finds is a Hagstrom Swede Ultra Lux for $325....black flamed maple and the best neck of the seven electrics:

Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (new)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard ( Gibson Classic 57 bridge pup and
Duncan Seymour Jazz neck pup)
Epiphone ES 339 Ultra
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Hagstrom Swede Ultra Lux
De Armond M72 Bluesbird
Yamaha AES 620 HB

I plan on being in Baja next winter from December to mid-March and will bring an electric (tele or LP Standard) rather than my acoustic....and a Fender modelling amp (Mustang II)...

Maybe playing for pesos on some street corner....:biggrin:

[Edited on 3-2-2016 by motoged]

motoged - 3-2-2016 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Fender Telecaster with Fender Twin Reverb amp.

I don't break strings in Baja.

:)

Can't beat that....:cool:

wessongroup - 3-2-2016 at 02:10 PM

Good for you motoged ... enjoy :):)

motoged - 3-2-2016 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

Well, I don't fish.....so I can play for my supper.... :light:

bajabuddha - 3-2-2016 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Well, I don't fish.....so I can play for my supper.... :light:

So, does biking/begging with a git-fiddle make you a minstrel-cycle? :biggrin:

motoged - 3-2-2016 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

So, does biking/begging with a git-fiddle make you a minstrel-cycle? :biggrin:

BB,
I guess so....at least periodically...

BigBearRider - 3-2-2016 at 03:42 PM

Fender makes some of their guitars in Ensenada:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Musical_Instruments_Cor...

bajadock - 3-2-2016 at 05:38 PM

Slight thread hijack offramp...if you get a chance, see Ross Pitts' guitar skills at Splash in South Rosarito.

Pescador - 3-2-2016 at 09:10 PM

We have a lot of active music in the Santa Rosalia area, two shops mentioned by Buddha, and a really cool shop in Constitution. So you will have no problems finding equipment, strings, and all that you need to keep the thing going. La Paz is rampant with music shops and I have been able to find almost anything I needed, even parts for my speaker stands. We play two or three times a week at venues and have almost daily practice at my place in San Bruno.
As an aside, Pepe and I were selected to perform for the 100 year anniversary for Benemerita Sociedad Mutualista Progresso in Santa Rosalia for a big event that will have over 150-300 people coming from all over Mexico. They think it is really cool to have a gringo doing Mariachi Music and we are the headliners.

Santiago - 3-2-2016 at 09:31 PM

Alvarez by Kazuo Yairi, Model 5065 circa 1972. Has mellowed with age, not unlike myself.
http://alvarezguitars.com/master-luthier-kazuo-yairi-dies-ag...

motoged - 3-2-2016 at 11:22 PM

P,
Looking forward to hearing you guys...you seem quite established with with your playing there.
When is your gig at that event?

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
We have a lot of active music in the Santa Rosalia area, two shops mentioned by Buddha, and a really cool shop in Constitution. So you will have no problems finding equipment, strings, and all that you need to keep the thing going. La Paz is rampant with music shops and I have been able to find almost anything I needed, even parts for my speaker stands. We play two or three times a week at venues and have almost daily practice at my place in San Bruno.
As an aside, Pepe and I were selected to perform for the 100 year anniversary for Benemerita Sociedad Mutualista Progresso in Santa Rosalia for a big event that will have over 150-300 people coming from all over Mexico. They think it is really cool to have a gringo doing Mariachi Music and we are the headliners.

Pescador - 3-3-2016 at 08:12 AM

We play the first and third Sunday afternoons at La Bahia in San Lucas Cove, second and fourth Sundays at Santispac Beach at Armandos Restaurant, First and Third Fridays at Chibatos Restaurant at Punta Chivato, and then alternate the other Fridays at Geckos, Burro Beach, and El Candil.
The big Gig which is like winning the Emmy in Mexico, is on the 30th of April and because it is the 100th Anniversary, they tell us there will be people from all over Mexico who are members of Conference of Mutual Societies. This all came because of playing a birthday party for a friend and one of the directors heard us and came by the next week to sign us up.
But there are lots of Musical performers in our area, Fast Eddie and the Slow Learners do a lot of rock and roll at various venues like Carlos' Racing Bar, and several places on Conception Bay. DJ Dave plays Fridays at Armando's, Licho Ortega plays numerous events, and a new group called Luna y Sol plays several places including Punta Chivato for special dinners.

SlyOnce - 3-3-2016 at 09:23 AM

Fender P Bass play nearly every day at my apt in Playas, my novia sings. Very eclectic play list from King Crimson and Genesis to Arlo Guthrie to Adelle.

AKgringo - 3-3-2016 at 09:46 AM

My fondest connection to music is also from the stuff I listened to in the 70's. Since 'Oldies' radio stations are hard to tune in in Baja, I guess I need to find that suitcase full of eight track tapes that I could never bring myself to throw away!

It would also be fun explaining what the heck they are to a new generation! They sue make today's technology look like something right out of Startreck.

bezzell - 3-3-2016 at 10:15 AM

.....One further note: I recommend if you have an acoustic (?? it's and are ???) travelling from high elevations / different climate to Baja and sea level / ocean climes, best to de-tune all your strings first. The change in humidity, temps and elevation can cause serious problems with glue joints, especially the neck.

(sigh) NEVER detune ... keep tension on strings holding guitar in position as intended during construction ... ESP when travelling!

(sigh) yo Senor Stinto Cinqo ... got any nutritional advice while you're at it!!?? :lol::lol::P:P

bajabuddha - 3-3-2016 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

.....One further note: I recommend if you have an acoustic (?? it's and are ???) travelling from high elevations / different climate to Baja and sea level / ocean climes, best to de-tune all your strings first. The change in humidity, temps and elevation can cause serious problems with glue joints, especially the neck.

(sigh) NEVER detune ... keep tension on strings holding guitar in position as intended during construction ... ESP when travelling!

(sigh) yo Senor Stinto Cinqo ... got any nutritional advice while you're at it!!?? :lol::lol::P:P

BACK UNDER YOUR BRIDGE, DWEEB. I gpt that advice from my luthier...... you expect me to take advice from a troll?

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by bajabuddha]

bezzell - 3-3-2016 at 10:56 AM

BACK UNDER YOUR BRIDGE, DWEEB. I gpt that advice from my luthier...... you expect me to take advice from a troll?

your lootier still has some learnin' to do
just fyi

bajabuddha - 3-3-2016 at 10:58 AM

your lootier still has some learnin' to do
just fyi

....so do you, little man. I'm glad you find my heart disease amusing; how come you have to bring mysery, hate and discontent to every thread you touch?? You must be a truly miserable person...

bezzell - 3-3-2016 at 11:08 AM

....so do you, little man. I'm glad you find my heart disease amusing; how come you have to bring mysery, hate and discontent to every thread you touch?? You must be a truly miserable person...

your heart disease is reversable. proven
tried to explain that previously, but YOU pulled the mommy & daddy genes card, vs lifestyle. That's on you buddy.
dr caldwell esselstyn ... there ya go. for free no less!

life is a true fully enjoyable gift. (ESP if you don't fill your veins with excess calories-from-fat! HINT!)

don't detune guitar. more chance to get tweaked. fact

ps I just bring facts. often times, the truth hurts.

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by bezzell]

bajabuddha - 3-3-2016 at 11:20 AM

your heart disease is reversable. proven
tried to explain that previously, but YOU pulled the mommy & daddy genes card, vs lifestyle. That's on you buddy.
dr caldwell esselstyn ... there ya go. for free no less!

life is a true fully enjoyable gift. (ESP if you don't fill your veins with excess calories-from-fat! HINT!)

don't detune guitar. more chance to get tweaked. fact

ps I just bring facts. often times, the truth hurts.

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by bezzell]

Alrighty, little man.... last wasted effort of mine on your ignorance and enjoyment of tormenting...... heart disease IS congenital; my whole family had it (father died at 57 and was very slender)..... exercise is great if you don't have a broken back, and lastly.... it's a STENT, not a 'stint', which shoots your credibility right in your patootie (immediately under your nose). How 'bout you just be nice ONCE. To SOMEBODY. I knew a kid in junior high that would throw rocks at people over the playground fence because he knew he couldn't be touched. What school do you go to now? Go away, Bezzell.

bezzell - 3-3-2016 at 11:29 AM

Alrighty, little man.... last wasted effort of mine on your ignorance and enjoyment of tormenting...... heart disease IS congenital; my whole family had it (father died at 57 and was very slender)..... exercise is great if you don't have a broken back, and lastly.... it's a STENT, not a 'stint', which shoots your credibility right in your patootie (immediately under your nose). How 'bout you just be nice ONCE. To SOMEBODY. I knew a kid in junior high that would throw rocks at people over the playground fence because he knew he couldn't be touched. What school do you go to now? Go away, Bezzell.

(Fortunately for you ... I'll give one last wasted effort.

Whether someone is skinny or fat is IRRELEVANT to what's being laid down inside their pipes. Capice?
Exercise is virtually irrelevant vs what's being shoved in your mouth. (ie FAT)
Your whole family had it 'cause your whole family ate the same. (often times ... the acorn does not fall far from the tree)
Compreneh amigo?)

don't detune guitar. It's a mistake.

AKgringo - 3-3-2016 at 12:08 PM

For what it is worth, on our return from a road trip from Anchorage to Zihuatanejo, we stopped in a town high in the mountains between the coast, and Guadalajara. There were a number of shops that manufactured stringed instruments of all kinds. The name 'Parracho', or something like that comes to mind, but I am not sure about it.

My wife bought a beautiful twelve string guitar from the craftsman that made it, and my son got a mandolin, both with hard cases.

That was in mid April, and needless to say, we changed elevation, temperatures, and humidity many times on our drive north. Since she liked to play the guitar when we stopped, she never de-tuned it.

What Buddah says is correct in this case, it got increasingly difficult to play and was warped by the time we got to Anchorage. I really don't give a crap about anything that 'he whose name shall not be mentioned' has to say!

AKgringo - 3-3-2016 at 01:01 PM

Lencho, thanks for confirming my recollection of a thirty year old visit. I wonder if that pleasant little town has changed much? We enjoyed very much the the people, the town square, and the cool evening climate.

Motoged, if you ever wind up there, I'll bet you buy something! The craftsman that built my wife's twelve string noticed our Alaska plates, and then showed me several chunks of wood he had curing. It was Sitka Spruce that he imported from Alaska for the strength and sound quality.

Sorry for the hijack!

motoged - 3-3-2016 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Motoged, if you ever wind up there, I'll bet you buy something! The craftsman that built my wife's twelve string noticed our Alaska plates, and then showed me several chunks of wood he had curing. It was Sitka Spruce that he imported from Alaska for the strength and sound quality.

Sorry for the hijack!

Not a hijack (like the temporary diversions above)....

I went past Paracho, Michoacán a few years ago on a moto trip.....and was aware of the town's fame (beautiful area between Patzcuaro and Mazamitla)....somehow got on a bypass road and missed the shops.

Such foreign made guitars (small outfits)sometimes make the best....and sometimes not....sorry I missed a walkabout in that town.

All my electrics are Chinese and Korean made....I am fully aware of how some folks look down their nose at these, but some others can recognize a good instrument when they play it. Some that I have collected are good, and a few are stellar (Hagstrom Swede Ultra Lux and DeArmond M72 Bluesbird are certainly worth their $350) .....Fender or Gibson USA made equal models would be 3-4 times that price....and may not always be of equal quality.....and my playing ability enjoys messing around with 6 different instruments as each brings out certain music and inspiration....for me it's all about the fun.

monoloco - 3-3-2016 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Alvarez by Kazuo Yairi, Model 5065 circa 1972. Has mellowed with age, not unlike myself.
http://alvarezguitars.com/master-luthier-kazuo-yairi-dies-ag...
Yairi made some great guitars. I have a WYK-1, it's a sweet instrument.

Bob53 - 3-3-2016 at 06:45 PM

Great thread! I play guitar, bass and a little bit of piano.
My axes...
1995 Fender Strat
1972 Fender Jazz bass
1995 Salas bass
2003 Alembic Spyderbass
2003 Alembic Stanley Clark bass
Ibanez acoustic 6 string

Amps...
1972 Fender Super Reverb
1982 Marshall Studio 15
Ampeg SVT 4Pro
Gallien Krueger 2001 RB

[Edited on 3-4-2016 by Bob53]

Santiago - 3-3-2016 at 07:21 PM

somehow my son ended up with a Fender twin studio amp for free, but it was made during the time CBS owned it (says so on the label). So not tubular....still is a nice amp.

Goyo - 3-3-2016 at 07:48 PM

I've been avidly playing acoustic guitar for about 35 years. All mine are too nice to take down to Baja. So I bought a Go-Guitar, which is a travel guitar. In my opinion, all travel guitars sound marginal because the boxes are so small. But I can deal with that as long as the neck is similar to a "real" guitar. When I'm away from home, I need to keep my hands and fingers in playing shape. The Go-Guitar has a very normal neck. That's the main reason I went with that brand. I've spent many evenings on my solo trips sitting in my beach chair at the campfire playing this little thing. It's a perfect fit for me.

I went with the Go Grande Walnut.
http://www.go-guitars.com/

An article about Paracho

AKgringo - 3-3-2016 at 09:19 PM

I know it isn't Baja, but it is about guitars!

http://www.mexicofile.com/parachoguitars.htm

For what it is worth, this was the highest pass we drove through traveling from Zihuatanejo to Anchorage.

wessongroup - 3-3-2016 at 10:33 PM

Thanks some interesting things about guitars ... makers and care .. which is usually an area of discussion

Here's one that the owner just played ... and all other concerns were apparently of low importance

Of note, it doesn't have a sixth string ... a clue to the original owner/player

Thanks to all ... appears there are more than a few ... that like to "pick" ... which is good IMO :):)

[Edited on 3-4-2016 by wessongroup]

Pescador - 3-4-2016 at 12:04 PM

For those of us who love to do Mariachi, one of the best producers of Mariachi Style guitars is in Tijuana, Guitars Sevillano which is on the main street south of Tijuana proper at #3415 Blvd. Cuahntemoc Sur. He also makes really wonderful Vihuelas (5 string mariachi guitar) and Guitarons ( the big six string base)

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 12:57 PM

That's about all a guy needs.....so who didn't need a low E string?

Nice patina on that ol' girl...

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
..... All mine are too nice to take down to Baja. So I bought a Go-Guitar, which is a travel guitar. ....

I went with the Go Grande Walnut.
http://www.go-guitars.com/

Nice.....not inexpensive...

wessongroup - 3-4-2016 at 03:06 PM

That's about all a guy needs.....so who didn't need a low E string?

Nice patina on that ol' girl...

Keith Richard's ... :):)

And some very good finds on local stuff ...

How's that Mustang II ...

This is a pretty interest approach in design, for a guitar amp ...

they also make a "head" too .. 40 watt and 100 watt

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 03:46 PM

How's that Mustang II ...

WG,
I got the Mustang II for a "travel amp".....enough juice for jamming or playing on the street for tacos ;D As a modelling amp, it has a ton of preset options....that can be used after a two year training program with NASA :rolleyes: (I am new to amps and stupid with "presettings"....it has a range of sounds without pedals....lots to learn...and fun to mix up the presets for a wide range of sounds.....I am not thinking I want to get into a bunch of pedals for creating sounds as it becomes an electrician/sound engineer's game....

It is smaller and lighter than my first used amp, a Roland VGA3....which is a modelling amp with lots of presets 50 W w/ 1-12.....still have it as a back-up....

I just sprung for a tube amp and was going to get a Fender Blues Junior when the guy at the shop convinced me the Traynor YGL1 had better tone....no fancy gizmos but reverb (3 amp presets)....made in Canada and track-proven....

wessongroup - 3-4-2016 at 03:52 PM

:lol::lol: Have a Cyber-Twin ... and still haven't figured out all the settings

When down .. took my old 5 watt Kalamazoo Model 1 ... with a SG and LP

LancairDriver - 3-4-2016 at 03:57 PM

A few years back the lead guitarist for Rod Stewart was passing through Mulege and stayed at the Serenidad. He and another guy he was with put on an little jam session by the pool and really rocked the place. Especially when he played "Hot Legs". Little different than the Mariachi's. It was during the week and the crowd was pretty small. I can't remember his name.

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 04:30 PM

Yeah....I remember the tune....not the words....:biggrin:

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 05:39 PM

Showbud ..... now THAT's a challenge....sure it holds more clothes than my air trainer 12-speed?

If pedal steel was a drug I would inject it daily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxLMeJ9IuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgohdz6R3Do

Starts slowly and builds...young player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJ4toUavBg

Some twang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3VwgtWXP7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97svDuqFctI

redhilltown - 3-4-2016 at 05:40 PM

My baby...a '65 Telecaster...but alas, probably not original finish...yet Richard Smith at the Fender Museum has seen it and said that back in the day, crazy things were down and someone may have brought it back to the Fender factory and while not original, was done by the right people. For Baja and camping I have a nice "beater" Takamine lawsuit model...found it at a thrift store with a chunk out of the side...but I thought, if good enough for Willie and Trigger, good enough for me!

guitar.jpg - 31kB

Bob53 - 3-4-2016 at 06:02 PM

If only I still had all the guitars that I've sold over the years. I owned a 55 Les Paul Jr. back in the 70's that was really nice. I think I sold it for $300 back then.

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 06:04 PM

Willy and Trigger...

Cool story: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/willie-nelson-rs-films-mastering-the-craft-trigger-20150211

motoged - 3-4-2016 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
If only I still had all the guitars that I've sold over the years. I owned a 55 Les Paul Jr. back in the 70's that was really nice. I think I sold it for $300 back then.

Yeah...."guitars and wimmen....had some good ones in my time ...."

That'll be a line in a country song...:yes:

Bob53 - 3-4-2016 at 06:09 PM

Showbud ..... now THAT's a challenge....sure it holds more clothes than my air trainer 12-speed?

If pedal steel was a drug I would inject it daily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxLMeJ9IuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgohdz6R3Do

Starts slowly and builds...young player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJ4toUavBg

Some twang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3VwgtWXP7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97svDuqFctI

I love the pedal steel. I have played around on one before but that's about it. I keep threatening to buy one and learn to play but the years just keep passing by.

SFandH - 3-4-2016 at 06:31 PM

Glad to see that there are so many bajanomad guitarists.

One of my favorite players:

Me? I play the stereo. 8^)

[Edited on 3-5-2016 by SFandH]

redhilltown - 3-5-2016 at 12:40 AM

May I add a little Dave Edmunds into the mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqYU3Nzbts

motoged - 4-21-2016 at 05:45 PM

Bob,
While involved in my daily addiction of perusing the "guitars for sale" in Kijiji (like Craig's List, sort of), I came across this ad for a vintage Les Paul Jr......read and weep....:no: :

Date Listed 21-Apr-16
Price
$6,950.00
Address Kamloops, BC V1S0A3
View map
For Sale By Owner
1954 Les Paul Jr. & Paul Amp

The seller says:

"This was my fathers guitar ... I have decided to sell it. I get tons of compliments on the guitar...I don't play so it just sadly sits in the case in the corner...case is included.
I do not know much about the amp except that it's a tube amp & all works very well, the handle is broken see pictures.
Local Pick up Welcome."

Pics at:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/kamloops/les-paul-jr-1954-very-rare-100-original/1158391303?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

[Edited on 4-22-2016 by motoged]

Barry A. - 4-22-2016 at 03:46 PM

I bought a new Martin guitar in 1953------I don't believe it has EVER been de-tuned in it's life, and never any problems other than the occasional replaced steel string. It spent many nights and days in Baja on the beach, in all kinds of weather, and still plays great. My son has it now, but I know it is still tuned up to play as he is a "player" almost everyday. It survived wild humidity on Cape Hatteras for over a year, and the deserts of Utah for many years-------no problems ever, and never de-tuned.

Just my anecdotal experience.

Bob53 - 4-22-2016 at 04:27 PM

Bob,
While involved in my daily addiction of perusing the "guitars for sale" in Kijiji (like Craig's List, sort of), I came across this ad for a vintage Les Paul Jr......read and weep....:no: :

That's ok, I'm over it. That's just of many I've let go. When times are tough, you have to do what you have to do. I sold a 53 Vet back in the 70s for 4K. Those go for up to about 200K now. If one could only peek into the future.

wessongroup - 4-22-2016 at 04:43 PM

53 Martian ... not bad :):)

Barry A. - 4-22-2016 at 05:20 PM

53 Martian ... not bad :):)

Yep----I sometime hanker for it even now, but my son whines a LOT when I bring THAT up. LOL

All my tough finger tips are long gone, so probably best that I leave it alone. :yes:

David K - 4-22-2016 at 05:30 PM

Bob53, where can Baja Angel and I hear you play in North County?

wessongroup - 4-22-2016 at 05:42 PM

Good that your son play's too ... Barry :):)

Mine doesn't ... have a 2001 HD28 ... that I don't play as much as would like

Hard call on "sound" ... Like a good Gibson too along with a lot of others .... Guitars are a cool musical instrument ... but then I like the accordion and many others too :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-23-2016 by wessongroup]

Wonder how much Prince's guitar is worth

SFandH - 4-22-2016 at 06:19 PM

[Edited on 4-23-2016 by SFandH]

motoged - 4-23-2016 at 12:21 AM

Just bought myself a retirement gift...a Yamaha LL16D (Engleman spruce top/solid Indian rosewood body acoustic electric w/passive pickups). I asked the local shop to do their best to improve the playability of my 46 year old Yammie FG500 (It has Sitka spruce top and laminated Jacaranda body/ebony neck and is a beauty)...

After playing the new guitar for a few weeks it is taking a while to get used to the slightly wider neck...at first I thought it would be easier to play....it is taking some refining of what my left hand is doing so as to not unintentionally muting a string when chording.

The sound is certainly not as "booming" as the older Yamaha and this is apparently due to the Engleman spruce top producing a thinner or more treble tone than Sitka spruce...but when plugged into an acoustic amp is a real treat.

Picking up the FG500 now (improved action and Tusq bridge saddle) makes me appreciate it even more.

Some of those 70's Japanese acoustics mentioned by other Nomads are gems...

Back to practicing scales and learning a few more Beatles songs for fun...

wessongroup - 4-23-2016 at 08:56 PM

"Back to practicing scales" ... :):)

chuckie - 4-24-2016 at 05:03 AM

Hey! In an old church outside of Boulder Colorado last nite....Couple guitars, a Base, Pedal steel, drummer ...Some classic Merle Haggard, Ernie Ford, Zydeco, memories of Northern West Virginia in the 50's ....lil Bakersfield sound..Watta nite.....Had to be there...Halden Wofford and the High Beams...

motoged - 4-24-2016 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Hey! In an old church outside of Boulder Colorado last nite....Couple guitars, a Base, Pedal steel, drummer ...Some classic Merle Haggard, Ernie Ford, Zydeco, memories of Northern West Virginia in the 50's ....lil Bakersfield sound..Watta nite.....Had to be there...Halden Wofford and the High Beams...

I can feel your glow from here.....sounds like a special night....:cool: