BajaNomad

Camping San Felipe

rhyler3 - 3-2-2016 at 05:23 PM

First timer to San Felipe and would like recommendations for beach camping south of town. Thank you, Rhyler

Udo - 3-2-2016 at 05:31 PM

Ruben's camp, about ⅓ mile north of the light house. Clean restrooms, great food, quiet, plus their infamous "COCO LOCOS".

rhyler3 - 3-2-2016 at 06:02 PM

Thank you for your reply! Rhyler

rhyler3 - 3-2-2016 at 06:04 PM

Where is the light house:) thanks again

David K - 3-2-2016 at 06:14 PM

Welcome... lot's of choices, maybe.
South of town. ... how far?
What services do you want or need?
What kind of vehicle? 4WD?

These are what we need to provide suggestions.

rhyler3 - 3-3-2016 at 08:23 AM

Hi, we have a high clearance pop up with 4x4 but don't necessarily need to 4 wheel. We are self contained. We're meeting friends there and we have been assigned to find the camp;). We don't mind a camp ground as long as we have some space. We have a dog too. Thank you for your input!!!

David K - 3-3-2016 at 09:43 AM

Then it boils down to how far south of town... There are several choices all the way to Puertecitos (52 miles south).

El Faro, La Playa Punta Estrella, and Rancho (Laguna) Percebu are the first three out of town that may work for you.

sancho - 3-3-2016 at 12:56 PM

Doesn't sound like restrooms, showers are your priority, that
is what you get in town along with restaurants, etc. In town you
will be 6 ' from others campers, that is where I stay, but I'm tent camping. Semana Santa is the week before Easter Sunday,
more exact the 5 days before Easter, very crowded

bajaguy - 3-3-2016 at 01:13 PM

If you are going to be there during Semana Santa, please keep your dog on a leash or rope, better yet, take a crate.......plenty of people, loud music, dogs running loose and fireworks

Quote: Originally posted by rhyler3  
Hi, we have a high clearance pop up with 4x4 but don't necessarily need to 4 wheel. We are self contained. We're meeting friends there and we have been assigned to find the camp;). We don't mind a camp ground as long as we have some space. We have a dog too. Thank you for your input!!!

bajapedro - 3-3-2016 at 01:16 PM

Rancho Percebu has camping with clean restrooms and showers plus a bar/restaurant on site.
Plenty of room and dog friendly.
Just don't go over the Easter weekend.

rhyler3 - 3-3-2016 at 05:06 PM

Thank you for all of the replies! We will be there the 5-11 of March. We are thinking of safety not knowing the area. Heard great things about the area! We have been told playa Bonita is nice place too. Once again, thank you!! I know there's nothing better than going and looking around, but it's nice to have a place to start.

David K - 3-3-2016 at 06:47 PM

Exactly, just go and explore...
Percebu is near Km. 20, and it is right across from the north end of Shell Island, if you want long walks and sea shells at low tide!
If you want real peace and quiet, but still be in a camp area, try Nuevo Mazatlan, Km. 32... a forest of shade trees near a sand beach. Here's a small page I made for it: http://vivabaja.com/nm

WestyWanderer - 3-5-2016 at 10:30 PM

A word of advice, exploring the campos south of town can be fun, but can be a bit time consuming because you can't see the beach from the road, each campo has a dirt road leading in to it that ranges from a quarter to half mile, and there are a lot of campos! My advice, especially if you're traveling with a group, maybe have two or three in mind from this thread that sound good and check those out. My wife and I spend a lot of time in that area because her parents have a house in La Costilla (km84), it's one of my favorite areas of Baja! Enjoy!

CortezBlue - 3-7-2016 at 09:02 AM

Shell Beach

David K - 3-7-2016 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Shell Beach

Yes, that is where Russ lives who posts the nice sunrise photos! :light: