BajaNomad

Citizenship

john68 - 3-2-2016 at 08:52 PM

Has anyone obtained their Mexican citizenship thru a lawyer in La Paz?

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Pescador - 3-2-2016 at 09:02 PM

I think the very best person who has all of the connections and is considered to be the expert at getting citizenship is Gilberto Pineda from DF. Office phone is 555-529-8701 Cell is 555-419-6812

BajaBlanca - 3-3-2016 at 04:07 PM

hi

Just wanted to mention that Gilberto will only communicate with you in Spanish.

Working with him requires 2 trips to Mexico City. At the first one, you will be taken by him to a bldg. where only you can enter with some forms, there are at least a hundred others in line but it goes really fast. They will eventually call your name and give you the documents you need. Easy.

The 2nd time will be to finalize the process. Take photos and money for getting your Mexican passport. Gilberto highly recommends doing it with him since there is no need to leave your brand new naturalization papers at the office, which you have to do in la paz.

Gilberto is very slow to answer emails since he is a really busy man who is a micromanager (he won't hire a secretary or assistant), but he will write back if you email:

gpcpineda@hotmail.com

If you are over 60, at the naturalization office, they will want to converse with you in Spanish to ascertain that you can communicate. I had to take a written history/culture exam which I aced - por supuesto!

chippy - 3-3-2016 at 04:30 PM

Is there a SRE office in La Paz? I did mine at the SRE office in Colima,Colima. No lawyer involved. It took along time to get it (1+years) and I never had to go to DF. I was also tested and speak spanish. This was 8 years ago.

Now I have 2 governments to screw me:light:.

DENNIS - 3-3-2016 at 04:49 PM

Just curious....why would you want to do this?

mtgoat666 - 3-3-2016 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Given the risk of there being a president Trump, every american citizen should be developing an exit strategy,... Watch out! Be prepared!

BigBearRider - 3-3-2016 at 05:09 PM

Has anyone run into a situation where they have acquired Mexican citizenship and the US government have found that doing so made them lose US citizenship?

There is a little blurb in the US passport about ways you can lose your US citizenship. One of them involves something along the lines of swearing allegiance to a foreign state.

The State Department has a section on Dual Citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerati...

A relevant section there provides:

"... a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct."

I don't have my US passport handy, but this statement appears more narrow than the one in my passport. The key factor is "the intention to give up U.S. nationality." I don't know what qualifies, but it wouldn't shock me if there are a whole lot of unintuitive things that qualify as "intention to give up U.S. nationality."

Anyone?

chippy - 3-3-2016 at 05:12 PM

Are you asking me or the OP?

yellowklr - 3-3-2016 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Given the risk of there being a president Trump, every american citizen should be developing an exit strategy,... Watch out! Be prepared!

if we made it through 7 years of Obama we can make it through anyone