BajaNomad

Truck camper insurance and documentation

Toolfreak - 3-3-2016 at 08:47 AM

Hi nomads I am bringing my truck camper to the baja and am wondering how you insure a slide in camper with Mexican insurance? Also all I have is a handwritten bill of sale that I got when I bought it from my neighbour. What kind of documentation do they look for at the border? Are my camper insurance papers and bill of sale enough?

bajaguy - 3-3-2016 at 08:54 AM

Contact Geoff at Bajabound.com or click on the Bajabound.com banner at the top of this page regarding your insurance questions

Quote: Originally posted by Toolfreak  
Hi nomads I am bringing my truck camper to the baja and am wondering how you insure a slide in camper with Mexican insurance? Also all I have is a handwritten bill of sale that I got when I bought it from my neighbour. What kind of documentation do they look for at the border? Are my camper insurance papers and bill of sale enough?

Don Jorge - 3-3-2016 at 09:06 AM

We recommend BajaBound Insurance too. There is no "added" insurance provision for the slide in. We just include the value of the camper in declared value of truck.

Also, at the border there is no separate paperwork requirement for camper either or at least to date we have never been asked for papers please on camper unit.

At the new border crossing in TJ they will ask for truck registration and your DL and they most likely will x ray your camper and truck rig. Only takes a few minutes normally. Can use the detour to get your visa too as that office is right there.

Enjoy your trip.

David K - 3-3-2016 at 09:17 AM

Geoff is a new daddy taking a few days off yet, but one of the other helpful folks at Baja Bound will assist!

Udo - 3-3-2016 at 09:42 AM

BajaBound Insurance additionally offers to insure any vehicle one drives by insuring (liability only) your driver's license. Great for people who use multiple vehicles in Baja.

The price per year is very close to that on just one vehicle.

AKgringo - 3-3-2016 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
BajaBound Insurance additionally offers to insure any vehicle one drives by insuring (liability only) your driver's license. Great for people who use multiple vehicles in Baja.

That is interesting (dl insurance) because I have two vehicles that I could possibly drive SOB, both worthy of liability only insurance. I will have to ask them if that covers me while pulling my small utility trailer as well.

J.P. - 3-3-2016 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

That is interesting (dl insurance) because I have two vehicles that I could possibly drive SOB, both worthy of liability only insurance. I will have to ask them if that covers me while pulling my small utility trailer as well.

I have carried that kind of ins. for years. if it has a current U.S. plate it's covered . Two people for around 150 dls. a year

]