BajaNomad

Favorite Spots to Eat in Ensenada

Ateo - 3-5-2016 at 03:33 PM

Bringing some Baja rookies down to pet whales with Shari next week..............

First night we are staying at Hotel Las Palmas in Ensenada. We are looking for a food place within walking distance.

Lazaro Card##as and Delante are the cross streets. We are close to the Naval base and a block off the Malecon.

Anyone know any good place to eat within walking distance or few miles away? I've done Carbone's and wasn't impressed. How's that Chinese place over there? Any one tried it?

Please feel free to comment. ANY GOOD PLACE is worth mentioning here, I just don't want to deal with parking in the tourist zone.

Jon

[Edited on 3-5-2016 by Ateo]

Ateo - 3-5-2016 at 03:35 PM

Oh yeah, price range is on the mid to lower end. Not looking to do a fancy restaurant, just need food. Sano's is great but we ain't doing that this time!

Ateo - 3-5-2016 at 03:37 PM

Las Cazuelas is close by..................I know that place is good, or it was last time I tried it. Breakfast only though............

TMW - 3-5-2016 at 04:38 PM

I don't remember the name of it but when you leave the hotel take a left and walk down just past the used car dealer lot on the same side of the street as hotel and the restaurant is just past it. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Also straight across the street from the hotel is a place that's not bad, a little different, but not bad. However I don't think they serve breakfast.

If you want to walk a little further for drinks the Corona Hotel has really good Margaritas.

Across the street (Lopez Mateos) from the San Nicolas is a restaurant with great ceviche I'm told. I want to try it.

[Edited on 3-5-2016 by TMW]

David K - 3-5-2016 at 04:43 PM

El Taco de Huitziloptchli (sp?) used to be the special place to enjoy Aztec dishes. Are they still open... it was weekends only back 15 years ago.

BigBearRider - 3-5-2016 at 04:50 PM

I second Las Cazuelas. It's quite good. Also, right across the hotel is a baked potato place that's also quite good. They have an astronaut out front.

Btw, be careful with google maps for Las Palmas hotel. It took me to the wrong place twice.

Also, although not what you are asking for, consider the El Trailero taco stand on the way into town, around El Sauzal. Always busy. Good food.

BigBearRider - 3-5-2016 at 04:52 PM

One more recommendation: Guadalajara Birria. It is close to the touristy part, but not on Primera. Really good Birria. Large place. Very few tourists. Busy.

Calle Macheros No. 154, Zona Centro, Ensenada, B.C., Mexico, between Primera and Segunda.

[Edited on 3-5-2016 by BigBearRider]

DanO - 3-5-2016 at 05:16 PM

La Guerrerense. Google it. It's a ceviche stand at the corner of Lopez Matteos and Alvarado, walking distance from your hotel. Ceviches served on tostaditas, cocteles in cups, etc. World famous and very crowded, and for good reason. Get there early before the lunch run when they run out of shrimp ceviche, and ask for avocado. They have dozens of salsas that you apply yourself, but my favorite is the angry oily looking one that opens your sinuses. Also, the coctele de pulpo is not to be missed, if you're into that sort of thing. I wish I could eat there every day.

micah202 - 3-5-2016 at 05:18 PM

...my fave is the markado Pescado,,, buy some prawns,, have one of the taco stands cook 'em up!

...reat way to start a baja adventure :biggrin:

DENNIS - 3-5-2016 at 05:18 PM

Hey Jon...........
Tacos de Huizti..... is a million miles away.
Walking distance from Las Palmas is MkTaco...on the Costero, just before the ABC Extension building....water side of the road.
Quesatacos. Eat a few there, and get a bunch to go. You won't regret your choice.

bajaguy - 3-5-2016 at 05:25 PM

The Magnolia is a great place, probably need to take a cab. On the Costero south of the auto dealerships. Also, if a cab works for you try El Callejon. Just east of where the Costero dead ends on the south into Florista. It is a food court with several stands. Our favorite is the Argentinean stall. They also have sushi, pizza, Cubans and wraps/salads.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d599483...

willardguy - 3-5-2016 at 05:33 PM

give em a street taco, find a bar and get just poo faced, then show em miramar! :P

SFandH - 3-5-2016 at 05:35 PM

We frequently stop along the main harbor drag near the fish market and get huge shrimp c-cktails from the corner street vendors.

But, if your friends are Mexico newbies, maybe their first meal should be WELL cooked and not an octopus c-cktail.

Mexican jumping bacteria........etc.

WideAngleWandering - 3-5-2016 at 05:37 PM

I always get breakfast at Cazuelitas in the same building as the Santo Tomas hotel. It's near the tourist zone but has a good parking lot. Manta ray machaca is the bomb.

Bajahowodd - 3-5-2016 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Las Cazuelas is close by..................I know that place is good, or it was last time I tried it. Breakfast only though............

Las Cazuelas is always packed for breakfast. But at dinner time, often close to empty.

That said, the restaurant has a very homey, clubby feel, with superior service by veteran waiters. Vast menu, and at dinner somewhat quiet. Not sure why the dinner crowd is not a crowd. The owner has won many awards for cuisine, and has been a long time supporter of the Baja race crowd.

We never go to Ensenada without a stop there.

Udo - 3-5-2016 at 06:10 PM

An excellent place for dinner is Muelle Tres, next to the Ensenada fish market by the Malecon.

Udo - 3-5-2016 at 06:13 PM

I just thought of something else (this way you can see for yourself in relation to wherever you are) that was put together about a year ago by our own bajadoc:

http://www.communitywalk.com/ensenadaandwinevalley

BigBearRider - 3-5-2016 at 09:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
I always get breakfast at Cazuelitas in the same building as the Santo Tomas hotel. It's near the tourist zone but has a good parking lot. Manta ray machaca is the bomb.

That's a new-ish restaurant, presumably by the same owners as Las Cazuelas judging by the name and logo?

Ateo - 3-5-2016 at 11:19 PM

I will tell you this......I'm super stoked that you all spent time with suggestions. My wife just made me a great Margarita and I can't even write..........so I'm gonna call it a night. Check back in with ya en la mañana.

Orale guey!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Another inexpensive walk-to choice

durrelllrobert - 3-6-2016 at 09:25 AM

You can try the Pancake Place, next to the Naval Base Entrance at the foot of Delante. They do more than pancakes but close at 5PM: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d7699519-Reviews-Pancake_Place-Ensenada_Baja_California.html

gsbotanico - 3-6-2016 at 09:26 AM

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli would be a very long walk with lots of traffic on the streets. Plus it's hard to find. The first time I went there I had to stop and ask directions and I was only a few blocks away. I had the address too! It used to be only open on the weekend. I remember taking Naomi Wise, former food critic of the San Diego Reader, to eat there. The restaurant is what is called "modesto" in Spanish. Certainly not upscale. The owner has an herb garden to grow his own "quelites," which are the greens that give Mexican cooking its authentic flavors.

I second the recommendation for Las Cazuelas and never hesitate to eat there. But there are many choices if you just start walking north to the main commercial area. I always ask to see the menu when going to a restaurant for the first time to see if it looks appealing.

[Edited on 3-6-2016 by gsbotanico]

David K - 3-6-2016 at 11:23 AM

I mentioned El Taco de Huitz. not because it could be walked to from the hotel, but that it was a favorite and very unique place. Take a taxi!

David Eidell (DavidE or 'Dah-veed' here) who has been everywhere in Mexico (or close) said it had the best authentic Mexican food in ALL of Mexico. I was with him, elgatoloco, BajaBarb and Fishin' Rich on my first time there (Aug. 2001).

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli, in Ensenada. Open on weekends only. Avenida de las Rosas 242 Tel. (6) 174-23-81. It is located in the far north-east corner of town.

chippy - 3-6-2016 at 12:43 PM

How could you pass El Trailero :?: Heaven in a tortilla.

willardguy - 3-6-2016 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
How could you pass El Trailero :?: Heaven in a tortilla.

thats one heck of a walk from the las palmas.......for a taco! :wow:

chippy - 3-6-2016 at 01:25 PM

Thats why I used the word pass.

willardguy - 3-6-2016 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Thats why I used the word pass.

gotcha ;)

Santiago - 3-6-2016 at 02:01 PM

Las Cazuelas is probably your best bet, I usually eat there when I stay at the Palms. If the seafood-only place is open in the same parking lot, it can be good, or so-so. I've had plenty of good meals at the restaurant in the hotel itself, but last time it was not open.
If you need wifi, do not stay on the third floor near the pool - this from a year ago however, so maybe it's better now.

lizard lips - 3-6-2016 at 02:50 PM

Las Cazuelas is good. Always has been and the service is very good but it's always so crowded and the restaurant is so dark. For breakfast and almost directly across the street from Las Palmas is a small restaurant frequented by locals "Kikis". I go there three or four times a month and they are only open for breakfast. Never have been disappointed.

Bajahowodd - 3-7-2016 at 05:52 PM

Don't know if I would go there for dinner, as they are open until 10pm, but, now relocated Mi Kaza has been amazing for breakfast and lunch. Not much ambiance, but great food.

liknbaja127 - 3-7-2016 at 07:39 PM

Alto, We just got back from a great trip with Shari! she is great to have
in the boat! We also had some newbies with us and they were overwhelmed! Beth is also helping Shari with tours, she is great also!
Will try to post some pics of the trip. Have a great time! My vote for the dinner, Sanos! Sorry, but it is good! You could leave a little earlier
and make San Quintin, and stay at Jardines!! I heard it is a nice place!!

woody with a view - 3-7-2016 at 08:07 PM

yeah, leave early and have Trailero's for breakfast. they open around 7-7:30am (don't ask how I know that!) and drive straight thru or stay over in SQ/ER and spend some time in the boulder fields before arriving in GN and having the 2nd best tacos in Baja at the place across from the Cowboy motel. can't remember the name for some reason?!?!?!???

EnsenadaDr - 3-7-2016 at 08:17 PM

Hi Udo Muelle Tres last time I heard closes at 5 pm so better get there by three.
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
An excellent place for dinner is Muelle Tres, next to the Ensenada fish market by the Malecon.

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by EnsenadaDr]

EnsenadaDr - 3-7-2016 at 08:23 PM

across from Las Palmas is the Dragon Chinese place EXCELLENT Chinese food.

KurtG - 3-7-2016 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Las Cazuelas is good. Always has been and the service is very good but it's always so crowded and the restaurant is so dark. For breakfast and almost directly across the street from Las Palmas is a small restaurant frequented by locals "Kikis". I go there three or four times a month and they are only open for breakfast. Never have been disappointed.

Kiki's is a regular breakfast stop for me, always good.

Ateo - 3-8-2016 at 12:03 PM

You guys are awesome. Thanks Nomads and friends. Palmas is booked so we're gonna have to find another dog friendly hotel! Gonna review your recommendations tonight. Thanks all. We may end up just going all the way to colonet and staying at Hotel Paraiso.

woody with a view - 3-8-2016 at 12:31 PM

If you end up at Pariso make sure you get the fajitas molcajete. Seriously!

Ateo - 3-8-2016 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
If you end up at Pariso make sure you get the fajitas molcajete. Seriously!

Didn't know they had a restaurant.

woody with a view - 3-8-2016 at 01:28 PM

Yep right next to the front desk.

bajaguy - 3-8-2016 at 01:41 PM

If only for one night, try the Ensenada Inn, right across from Palmas

You guys are awesome. Thanks Nomads and friends. Palmas is booked so we're gonna have to find another dog friendly hotel! Gonna review your recommendations tonight. Thanks all. We may end up just going all the way to colonet and staying at Hotel Paraiso.

bajaguy - 3-8-2016 at 01:44 PM

The food at Mi Kaza is as exciting as their ambiance

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Don't know if I would go there for dinner, as they are open until 10pm, but, now relocated Mi Kaza has been amazing for breakfast and lunch. Not much ambiance, but great food.

DianaT - 3-8-2016 at 01:45 PM

So Hotel Paraiso is dog friendly? I hope so.

gsbotanico - 3-8-2016 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I mentioned El Taco de Huitz. not because it could be walked to from the hotel, but that it was a favorite and very unique place. Take a taxi!

David Eidell (DavidE or 'Dah-veed' here) who has been everywhere in Mexico (or close) said it had the best authentic Mexican food in ALL of Mexico. I was with him, elgatoloco, BajaBarb and Fishin' Rich on my first time there (Aug. 2001).

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli, in Ensenada. Open on weekends only. Avenida de las Rosas 242 Tel. (6) 174-23-81. It is located in the far north-east corner of town.

I first went to El Taco de Huitzilopochtli around 1994. I learned about it from a person I was working with who was a member of the Club de España in Ensenada. This group used to do the Paella Gigante every year in October for El Día de la Raza at Quintas Papagayo. They would serve up to 1500 people. It was a great event, and I would sit with them as an “insider” and enjoy the goodies they only prepared for themselves.

The first time at El Taco de Huitzilopochtli I only had directions to the residential neighborhood in which it is located. I drove and stopped to ask when I got close. The owner Don Casimiro was delighted to show me his estilo Texcoco barbecue pit and his herb garden. Any place in Baja that serves cuitlacoche and flor de calabaza gets my attention. The food is certainly authentic.

There is authentic cooking all over Mexico, including in Mexico City, where, for example, there is Focolare in the Zona Rosa. The states of Puebla, Tlaxcala, Oaxaca, and Chiapas have outstanding regional cuisines. In Parque Nacional Lagunas de Monte Bello in Chiapas, I remember a Maya woman selling quesadillas de flor de calabaza made with local ingredients cooked on a comal over a wood fire. It was authentic and delicious!

In Tijuana restaurants with regional cooking come and go. Two of my favorites were Aquí es Oaxaca and Real del Potosí, both now closed. Some of the upscale restaurants have their own versions of regional dishes. El Taco de Huitzilopochtli is worth a visit for those looking for an authentic dining experience. If you take a taxi, make sure the driver knows where to go. David has posted the address. It’s straight up Reforma near the top, a right on Ambar, and then in two blocks a left on Pirules until Rosas.

¡Buen provecho!

Ateo - 3-9-2016 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If only for one night, try the Ensenada Inn, right across from Palmas

Gonna call them tonight. You say if only for one night? Does gay mean it's not a place you would want to stay longer than a few hours?

soylent_green - 3-9-2016 at 11:57 AM

Santo Mitote
https://www.facebook.com/SantoMitote

west end of the same complex where the walmart and the Home Depot heading south of town.

Just for the ample parking alone makes it worth it, especially if you have bikes or stuff in the back of your truck.

Good food, reasonable prices at an upscale-ish looking place. Usually we hit it for breakfast - never had a bad meal or service yet.

[Edited on 3-9-2016 by soylent_green]

bigjohn - 3-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

When we would eat in Ensenada (many moons ago), we would always go to El Charro and the get the rotisserie chicken and papas. Can't miss the place with the chickens on the rotisserie spit in the front window.

But like I said, it was many moons ago and may not even still be there.

Food was always good and the price was right!

willardguy - 3-9-2016 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bigjohn  
When we would eat in Ensenada (many moons ago), we would always go to El Charro and the get the rotisserie chicken and papas. Can't miss the place with the chickens on the rotisserie spit in the front window.

But like I said, it was many moons ago and may not even still be there.

Food was always good and the price was right!

ahhh....the old el charro! its now a big fancy restaurant across the street, still chicken in the window and still good...but no fun :no:

WideAngleWandering - 3-19-2016 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

That's a new-ish restaurant, presumably by the same owners as Las Cazuelas judging by the name and logo?

It sounds similar - excellent food, solid staff, packed for breakfast. I first went there in 2012 - not sure how long it's been around or affiliation with Las cazuelas. I've never been to that one.