BajaNomad

Crossing at Tecate

jbcoug - 3-5-2016 at 11:20 PM

My current plan is to cross into Baja at Tecate on Thursday, March 10. I will be coming from Phoenix and plan to spend the night of the ninth on the US side. Any recommendations on a cheap place to spend the night. Clean preferably, but no frills needed. Any advice on crossing the border, times, etc. will just be me in my pickup with canopy. Nothing to declare. What's the easiest way to get your FMM there? All advice appreciated! First time crossing there.

ehall - 3-6-2016 at 05:53 AM

Don't plan on staying on the U.S. side at Tecate. I don't remember ever seeing a hotel. I could be wrong.

bajabuddha - 3-6-2016 at 06:57 AM

If you get an early jump you should be able to drive all the way to Ensenada; more choices. Phoenix-Yuma, 3 hours? Yuma-Tecate 3 hours? 6:00 a.m. start, Tecate by noon.... 2:00 at the latest, Ensenada two hours tops.... the road is mostly finished and super easy to drive now.

FMM, park on the U.S. side in one of the lots (a buck or two cost), walk across the border and the first big building on the right is where you get one. You walk back outside towards the border and next door is a small kiosk where you pay the fee, walk back inside and get it verified and stamped. Then cross the street, back through U.S. customs and your truck, on your way, 20 minutes and done. As of 2 years ago there were two Casa de Cambio kiosks to buy pesos... one gives a better rate than the other, get your money changed there (U.S. side) or at least enough (hunnert bucks) to get you down to an ATM at an Ensenada bank. JMHO

[Edited on 3-6-2016 by bajabuddha]

windgrrl - 3-6-2016 at 07:02 AM

The campground in Potrero County Park is the closest, but could be cold camping in the back of a truck.

El Centro has lots of options if you don't mind an early start and is a last chance to get anything you need...Von's, Costco, Pep Boys, etc.

There is a hotel in Boulevard, CA that is okay, with a gas station, taco stand and Subway for breakfast about 30 min. away near Campo.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g32101-d3607722-Revi...

The Jacumba Resort is another option. It's quiet, clean and has a restaurant and bar. Beautiful natural and historic area and lots of places to walk.
http://jacumbaresort.com

Crossing at Tecate is a snap early in the morning. Your crossing time will depend on where you are headed. Inspections are getting more thorough, but friendly so have your paperwork in order for trailers and motorized vehicles.

Enjoy your trip,
W