BajaNomad

Posted by Kathleen on the Punta Banda bulletin Board today

durrelllrobert - 3-8-2016 at 08:28 AM

from my friend, Ron, in San Quintin:

"The farmworker march / caravan will depart San Quintin on Thursday, March 17th heading north on the transpeninsular highway, expecting to reach the border area on Sunday, March 20th. They tell me that they are expecting support from other labor organizations from both north and south of the border and that support is expected to concentrate on the weekend of the 19th-20th. There is an apparent lack of comprehensive coordination with this event and my suggestion to all travelers would be to avoid the Tijuana area border region over the weekend of March 19-20th and to consider alternative travel plans to avoid the transpeninsular highway from Thursday, March 17 through Saturday, March 19th."

micah202 - 3-8-2016 at 11:05 AM

....what are the farmworkers protesting?

...or are they there to start building the wall already. I'm sure they're eager to keep th'Trumpheads out :)

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2016 at 11:12 AM

They gonna walk all that way? Doubtful!

woody with a view - 3-8-2016 at 12:35 PM

"There is an apparent lack of comprehensive coordination with this event"

Sounds like the Baja we all know and love.

Bajaboy - 3-8-2016 at 12:49 PM

This time last year were all the protests....good thing we're headed down Hwy 5 that weekend.

Bajahowodd - 3-8-2016 at 06:08 PM

There have been many protests in the area of San Quintin. On one hand, the fact that there are so many agricultural jobs in the area that basically allow the Mexican people to not have to brave the border to get to El Norte, but on the other hand, employers such as the Los Pinos guys tend to not pay anything close to a liveable minimum wage.

So the good news is that huge numbers of Mexicans do not have to try to get up to El Norte, risking life and limb. The bad news is that they are subject to low wages and no benefits.

Folks in Southern California should start looking at the produce packages they buy in their local markets and learn that so much of it is coming from Valle De San Quintin, then think twice about buying it.

A very hard question to answer

Howard - 3-8-2016 at 06:23 PM

To buy or not to buy product from that area?

1: If we don't buy and it really effects their business and bottom line there will undoubtedly be lay offs to the workers and did we really help out?
OR
2: If we buy are we supporting the companies but they people still have jobs.

I think they have to work it out themselves and if they ask for our help we give it but stay out of their business until then.

Just my dos centavos worth.

willardguy - 3-8-2016 at 06:26 PM

yeah I always check the source of my tomatoes before buying....who doesn't? :rolleyes:

Bajahowodd - 3-9-2016 at 05:48 PM

Some damn fine produce coming from that area. I tend to agree with my namesake about it working out.

Hook - 3-10-2016 at 07:27 AM

This item is too important to have the heading that it has, IMO. Consider changing the heading to something indicating the potential disruption to the Transpeninsular Hwy.

bajatrailrider - 3-10-2016 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

To buy or not to buy product from that area?

1: If we don't buy and it really effects their business and bottom line there will undoubtedly be lay offs to the workers and did we really help out?
OR
2: If we buy are we supporting the companies but they people still have jobs.

I think they have to work it out themselves and if they ask for our help we give it but stay out of their business until then.

Just my dos centavos worth.
This is a great post,one thing also to remember. What worker in Mexico,is not under paid. The problem the Compo workers,work the hardest. Get the same pay. As a store keeper,or waitress. Very difficult for workers,to feed there family's.

DENNIS - 3-10-2016 at 07:38 AM

Maybe it'll rain...on their parade. :o

Udo - 3-10-2016 at 01:14 PM

In Baja it is pretty tough to check the tomato source when they are being sold out of pick up trucks, family run fruterias, farmer's markets on Fridays and Sundays, Mercado Hidalgo, and all grocery stores.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
yeah I always check the source of my tomatoes before buying....who doesn't? :rolleyes:

norte - 3-10-2016 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
There have been many protests in the area of San Quintin. On one hand, the fact that there are so many agricultural jobs in the area that basically allow the Mexican people to not have to brave the border to get to El Norte, but on the other hand, employers such as the Los Pinos guys tend to not pay anything close to a liveable minimum wage.

So the good news is that huge numbers of Mexicans do not have to try to get up to El Norte, risking life and limb. The bad news is that they are subject to low wages and no benefits.

Folks in Southern California should start looking at the produce packages they buy in their local markets and learn that so much of it is coming from Valle De San Quintin, then think twice about buying it.

What makes you think the Los Pinos guys are the culprits? According to the marchers last year, it was the ranches in Camalu and Colonet. No fires, roads blocked, or riots in the Los Pinos area. I am just glad there are jobs to keep these Mexicans from crossing the border and adding to the illegal population problem.

Bajahowodd - 3-10-2016 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

What makes you think the Los Pinos guys are the culprits? According to the marchers last year, it was the ranches in Camalu and Colonet. No fires, roads blocked, or riots in the Los Pinos area. I am just glad there are jobs to keep these Mexicans from crossing the border and adding to the illegal population problem.

Can't argue with this.

SFandH - 3-10-2016 at 05:59 PM

I hope their demonstrations are peaceful and large enough to initiate the changes they desire. Especially the elimination of child labor. I don't know how widespread that is but I read something about it during their last demonstrations.

Who's the new Cesar Chavez these days?