BajaNomad

About vehicle life

PaulW - 3-9-2016 at 06:26 PM

Interesting read
The longest lasting vehicles 200k miles:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28278/top-cars-to-m...
The million mile vehicles:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g121/million-mile-club-...

SFandH - 3-9-2016 at 07:11 PM

Interesting, thanks.

woody with a view - 3-9-2016 at 07:19 PM

i'll venture a guess that Toyota is featured prominently.

Udo - 3-9-2016 at 08:16 PM

For what it's worth, my last and current 2004 Prius has 566,000 (not a misprint) miles.

Here are the repairs done:
2 electric water pumps (both recalls by Toyota)
2 12 volt batteries,
1 Hybrid battery (i bought a used one from a wrecking yard for $400.00 USD at about 350,000 miles.
1 throttle body
4 catalytic converters
1 muffler
3 sets of spark plugs
2 change of brake pads (still has the original rear brake shoes).
1 tail light bulb

willardguy - 3-9-2016 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i'll venture a guess that Toyota is featured prominently.

Tacoma didn't fare to well, but I don't who would care? :lol:

woody with a view - 3-9-2016 at 08:36 PM

UDO, make sure those rear brakes are adjusted properly so the fronts aren't doing all of the work. +250k on a set of pads ain't too bad tho!

David K - 3-9-2016 at 08:56 PM

I bought my first Toyota based totally on recommendations by Baja Nomads that were on Amigos de Baja, back in 2000. Neal Johns was the biggest Tacoma fan urging me.
I am so happy I did!
Now, I am returning the favor when I speak of the quality and capability of my Toyota de Baja California built Tacoma, my third Tacoma!

Udo - 3-9-2016 at 08:56 PM

I'm easy on the brakes, Bob.

However, adjusting the rear brakes should be easy...just drive backwards and stomp on the brakes, eh?

willardguy - 3-9-2016 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

However, adjusting the rear brakes should be easy...just drive backwards and stomp on the brakes, eh?

yup! on your dad's car! :yes:

Udo - 3-9-2016 at 09:23 PM

In my lifetime, I have owned 34 cars, 7 motorcycles, 11 camping trailers, 3 fith-wheel campers, 6 motorhomes, 5 sailboats, 4 kayaks, I failed to count my surfboards. My first car was a '49 De Soto convertible.

Brake adjustments have been a way of life.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

willardguy - 3-9-2016 at 09:31 PM

:lol: you go brakemaster!

BigBearRider - 3-9-2016 at 09:57 PM

For what it's worth, my last and current 2004 Prius has 566,000 (not a misprint) miles.

2 12 volt batteries,
1 Hybrid battery (i bought a used one from a wrecking yard for $400.00 USD at about 350,000 miles.
1 throttle body
4 catalytic converters
1 muffler
3 sets of spark plugs
1 tail light bulb

That is very impressive. How many of the miles are off-road? ;D

TMW - 3-9-2016 at 10:07 PM

It says % of cars over 200,000 miles. The FORD F150 sells more than any other vehicle close to 1 million per year yet it is not in the top 10. Same can be said for the chevy 1500 or GMC 1500. The Tacoma sells a 100+ thousand per year and is in the top 10. I think that says a lot about the Tacoma.

FYI my 1991 chevy K1500 had 223,000 miles when I gave it to my son in 2004.

Maron - 3-9-2016 at 10:39 PM

WOW, to all of the posts = IMPRESSIVE

KurtG - 3-10-2016 at 08:43 AM

Our 2000 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 just turned 285,000 miles. The engine has never been touched, things like water pump, alternator , and starter are all original. Tranny was replaced under warranty in the first year but fine since then. Front suspension recently rebuilt, lower a-arms, ball joints, hubs, etc. Burns no oil and passes smog test with like new readings. It doesn't have the off road ability of the Tacoma and others but driven carefully has taken us down a lot of rough Baja back country roads. I am pretty meticulous about maintenance which I think is a big factor in any vehicle's service life.

BornFisher - 3-10-2016 at 09:21 AM

The winner--------------------UDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMW - 3-10-2016 at 09:42 AM

I rented a Prius last year from Hertz at the San Diego airport and no one went with me to show me how it worked. After multiple attempts to try and start it I got the book out and found what I need on page 153 or near there. My wife's Acura manual shows how to start it on page 2 or 3.

It was fun to drive but I hate the rear window with the two pane glass. I thought the trunk was open. You ever try to change the radio while driving from FM to AM on a touch screen that doesn't show anything about the radio. I finally hit enough buttons that I found it.

durrelllrobert - 3-10-2016 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
The winner--------------------UDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't compete with his 566,000 miles with a Prius that's not even in the top 10 but I have close to 300,000 miles on my 2002 GMC Yukon thats rated as #9 with 3.2% still on road with over 200k miles.

Udo - 3-10-2016 at 09:58 AM

Considering that I was a member of the WAYWEGOS and the AL SAREEA 4WD clubs for about 15 years, I am going to guess around 50,000 which includes 6 trips to Cabo and back (3 going down the East side, 3 going down the West side avoiding pavement whenever possible), countless other Baja runs, bunches of runs to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and most of California (yes, that included the Rubicon, Wheeler Ridge and Shaver Lake).
I was as hard core as Ken Cooke is now days.

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

2 12 volt batteries,
1 throttle body
4 catalytic converters
1 muffler
3 sets of spark plugs
1 tail light bulb

8knots - 3-10-2016 at 10:00 AM

Love our 2004 4Runner. Only has 155,000 on it. I've heard it speculated that they are particularly reliable because they are actually made in Japan.

I have a 1 ton, 2007 Ford diesel with only 28,000! Sits waiting for summer time camping in MT with Hallmark popup camper.

BigBearRider - 3-10-2016 at 10:34 AM

Considering that I was a member of the WAYWEGOS and the AL SAREEA 4WD clubs for about 15 years, I am going to guess around 50,000 which includes 6 trips to Cabo and back (3 going down the East side, 3 going down the West side avoiding pavement whenever possible), countless other Baja runs, bunches of runs to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and most of California (yes, that included the Rubicon, Wheeler Ridge and Shaver Lake).
I was as hard core as Ken Cooke is now days.

2 12 volt batteries,
1 throttle body
4 catalytic converters
1 muffler
3 sets of spark plugs
1 tail light bulb

That's even more impressive.

Udo - 3-10-2016 at 11:52 AM

I just got through reading on the PRIUS CHAT forum that the rear brakes do not need adjusting. They indeed adjust themselves when backing up.

4x4abc - 3-10-2016 at 12:10 PM

pretty much all cars and trucks after 1980 with rear drum rakes have self adjusting brakes.
All never car/truck versions with rear disk brakes don't require adjustment.

willardguy - 3-10-2016 at 03:30 PM

I just got through reading on the PRIUS CHAT forum that the rear brakes do not need adjusting. They indeed adjust themselves when backing up.

[/rquo

I bet driving in reverse and stomping on the brakes has nothing to do with self adjusting brakes? show me the link please.....

4x4abc - 3-10-2016 at 03:46 PM

you asked for it

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2278383/fixing-drum-...

David will add maps and pics

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by 4x4abc]

willardguy - 3-10-2016 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
you asked for it

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2278383/fixing-drum-...

David will add maps and pics

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by 4x4abc]

"on some cars of yesterday" like your dad's car! :lol:

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 03:58 PM

i'm glad to see the f250 is #1 : )
mine has 230k but I think the salt/rust may eat it up before the thing dies : )

rusty.jpg - 68kB

willardguy - 3-10-2016 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
Love our 2004 4Runner. Only has 155,000 on it. I've heard it speculated that they are particularly reliable because they are actually made in Japan.

now thats interesting, when i saw our 4runners at #3 and tacoma's #10 I thought what the heck?? japanese vs mexico built? I guess!:?:

Udo - 3-10-2016 at 04:38 PM

:o

BajaGringo - 3-11-2016 at 10:54 AM

I have owned a broad mix of trucks and SUV's over the years and I have learned there is simply no online guide available that can accurately predict how any vehicle will hold up for you over the long haul - too many variables. It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

Down here where we live, over a half hour drive from pavement with a LOT of rough, rocky roads, I have found that when you live here full time and drive over this stuff every single day, Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks are the most reliable mechanically speaking.

I have gone through different models of Jeeps, Toyotas, Mitzubishis, BMWs, Range Rovers and Mercedes trucks and SUV's. They may do well when you drive on pavement and only visit this stuff once in awhile but 24/7 on these roads that will test your best denture adhesive takes a real toll; eventually leaving most on the side of the road.

My personal experience with Ford has made them my number one choice. I routinely put well over 200K miles on most of my Ford trucks before trading up. Even when I finally do sell them, they are still running like new - everything working 100%, no leaks and no rattles. I could never get past 50K miles on these types of conditions with any of the imports. Although Chevy and Dodge did well mechanically in comparison, they both drove me crazy with rattles that developed as the miles piled up. (Personal pet peeve of mine).

YMMV

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by BajaGringo]

villafontana - 3-11-2016 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Our 2000 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 just turned 285,000 miles. The engine has never been touched, things like water pump, alternator , and starter are all original. Tranny was replaced under warranty in the first year but fine since then. Front suspension recently rebuilt, lower a-arms, ball joints, hubs, etc. Burns no oil and passes smog test with like new readings. It doesn't have the off road ability of the Tacoma and others but driven carefully has taken us down a lot of rough Baja back country roads. I am pretty meticulous about maintenance which I think is a big factor in any vehicle's service life.

Wow thats great for your explorer! i have the same type of explorer, but mine is a 1997 and has 165,000 miles. I went on her to Mulege from Tijuana without a single problem. Just the mpg was upsetting. But aside from that the trip was very smooth.:bounce::bounce:

4x4abc - 3-11-2016 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

second that!

90% is driver - like in challenging 4x4 stuff. Not your gear but your brain will make the difference.

Not very popular, but still the most bang for your bucks - Mercedes G Series. Sold my first after 300k+ miles and got $5k more for it than new.
Driving the second one at 250k flawless miles now. Makes me smile every time I climb in.

Dirt cheap when bought used.

BigBearRider - 3-11-2016 at 03:47 PM

Not very popular, but still the most bang for your bucks - Mercedes G Series. Sold my first after 300k+ miles and got $5k more for it than new.
Driving the second one at 250k flawless miles now. Makes me smile every time I climb in.

Interesting thoughts.

I assume you bought the first G-wagen used? Are/were yours the 270, 320, 400, 500 or some other model? Gas or Diesel?

Bob and Susan - 3-11-2016 at 03:59 PM

Interesting thoughts.

I assume you bought the first G-wagen used? Are/were yours the 270, 320, 400, 500 or some other model? Gas or Diesel?

dirt cheap hahaha
$135,000 new
a 14 year old unit $30,000

maybe I've lived too long in the past

chuckie - 3-11-2016 at 04:22 PM

Ol Smokey, my daily driver..1996 Dodge Cummins, turned 370,000 today.....My 1990 Dodge Cummins, 1 Ton Dually Two wheel drive, that I gave to my son, was pushing 900,000 miles when I last saw it in November 2015...Head has never been off...

4x4abc - 3-11-2016 at 06:40 PM

Interesting thoughts.

bought the first one in 1986 brand new. 300GD diesel, $18,000 ($ was 3:1 at the time).
bought the recent G500 in 2004 for $30k

at 100k miles they still drive like new

KurtG - 3-11-2016 at 07:24 PM

Interesting thoughts.

bought the first one in 1986 brand new. 300GD diesel, $18,000 ($ was 3:1 at the time).

I'm curious as to where you bought them, the US, Europe, or Mexico. In the US they are pretty expensive but that may be due to US emissions and safety requirements that may not be required in Mexico or other export markets. Are the G-Wagons built anywhere else in the world besides Germany? I would love to have one but they are just not affordable here, at least for me.

4x4abc - 3-11-2016 at 09:06 PM

I'm curious as to where you bought them, the US, Europe, or Mexico. In the US they are pretty expensive but that may be due to US emissions and safety requirements that may not be required in Mexico or other export markets. Are the G-Wagons built anywhere else in the world besides Germany? I would love to have one but they are just not affordable here, at least for me.

first one I bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US
some minor DOT changes were needed (inexpensive)
don't believe the emissions and safety crap
the US is not the only country with safety and emission rules
all vehicles are built pretty much the same

the G500 was bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US (last few years in Mexico)
no modifications needed

the Mercedes G-Class is exclusively built in Austria

KurtG - 3-11-2016 at 10:45 PM

first one I bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US
some minor DOT changes were needed (inexpensive)
don't believe the emissions and safety crap
the US is not the only country with safety and emission rules
all vehicles are built pretty much the same

the G500 was bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US (last few years in Mexico)
no modifications needed

the Mercedes G-Class is exclusively built in Austria

Thanks for the info. Again, I wish I could afford one but it looks like I'll have to keep the old Ford going for another 100k or so.

chippy - 3-12-2016 at 02:08 AM

It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

second that!

90% is driver - like in challenging 4x4 stuff. Not your gear but your brain will make the difference.

Maybe in Germany. You gonna tell me its dirt cheap after shipping/taxes/import fees? Come on man. Parts??? :lol

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by chippy]

mtgoat666 - 3-12-2016 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

second that!

Maybe in Germany. You gonna tell me its dirt cheap after shipping/taxes/import fees? Come on man. Parts??? :lol

It's a poser car. For people that want to drive a Beverly Hills suv. As a daily driver, it drives like chit (clunky truck handling), and it's not very fuel efficient. There are many less expensive SUVs, that are cheaper, handle better. But, hey, if posing is your thing, go ahead and pay extra to drive some bling.

BigBearRider - 3-12-2016 at 10:08 AM

Interesting thoughts.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps it is an interesting alternative to a Jeep Wrangler for my Baja needs. My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

David K - 3-12-2016 at 10:11 AM

Interesting thoughts.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps it is an interesting alternative to a Jeep Wrangler for my Baja needs. My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

:light:
:lol:

rts551 - 3-12-2016 at 10:18 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/yep-jeep-built-707-hp-155509176....

PaulW - 3-12-2016 at 10:42 AM

My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

=====
Jeep brand makes some really bad stuff. And most people lump them all together. What you read is not always how it is. Example Wrangler is one of the better Jeep products for reliability - meaning average with compared to the industry. TJ and unlimited up to 06 are quite livable. My 06 has never been back to the dealer. JK 07 and up compare to the late TJs, but the JK unlimited (4 Door) have more issues. In Baja it is always possible to get any Jeep fixed because there are so many people using them. Yes there are known issues and all have easy fixes for them. Daily driver - not really, so do not compare the Wrangler to a sedan.
IMO the only alternative could be a 4Runner, but they are very rare in Baja. Other better more common rigs are too big. Example pickups.

willardguy - 3-12-2016 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

=====
Jeep brand makes some really bad stuff. And most people lump them all together. What you read is not always how it is. Example Wrangler is one of the better Jeep products for reliability - meaning average with compared to the industry. TJ and unlimited up to 06 are quite livable. My 06 has never been back to the dealer. JK 07 and up compare to the late TJs, but the JK unlimited (4 Door) have more issues. In Baja it is always possible to get any Jeep fixed because there are so many people using them. Yes there are known issues and all have easy fixes for them. Daily driver - not really, so do not compare the Wrangler to a sedan.
IMO the only alternative could be a 4Runner, but they are very rare in Baja. Other better more common rigs are too big. Example pickups.

4runners RARE in baja???every other car in baja is a 4runner! the ones that aren't are old XJ's!

BigBearRider - 3-12-2016 at 11:12 AM

I should have been more specific. I have rented a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited several times in Baja and I really like how it handles on bad Baja dirt/rock roads at speed. But, I don't have experience with how reliable they are.

I have some hesitation spending $30K on a 10-year-old G500 when the same money would get me a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. In my experience, Mercedes makes good cars (I have a driven the same ML320 for 15 years and more than 200K miles, and I frequently take it down to Baja but it doesn't handle as well as the Jeep on dirt roads), but a 10-year-old car is a 10-year-old car. Anyways, I don't have enough info and knowledge to intelligently evaluate the pros and cons of a new/newer Jeep versus a G500 and was just asking some questions.

Maybe a Toyota FJ Cruiser would be a good alternative as well, in terms of both reliability and handling on bad dirt roads.

(I don't think I need a 707-HP Jeep, although it looks very cool. The Crew Chief also looks really cool. I'd go for the most basic model though, the Sport Unlimited, and put some BFGs on it.)

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by BigBearRider]

1989 VOLVO 240

captkw - 3-12-2016 at 11:35 AM

with 400,000 miles runs fast,strong, no leaks. burns 1/2 qt oil around 5k hard miles,, great gas milage and go ahead and hit me with a semi !!:lol:

4x4abc - 3-12-2016 at 11:46 AM

shipping is less than $1k, import duties 2.5%, broker/agent around $500

dirt cheap was related to the used ones already in the US

I will no longer confuse you with facts

willardguy - 3-12-2016 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
with 400,000 miles runs fast,strong, no leaks. burns 1/2 qt oil around 5k hard miles,, great gas milage and go ahead and hit me with a semi !!:lol:

from the original article, the guy with 66 volvo P1800 was expecting to hit the 3 million mark in 2013 (the articles a few years old)....wonder if he made it? heck he could be on his way to 4 million! :O

4x4abc - 3-12-2016 at 11:58 AM

I should have been more specific. I have rented a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited several times in Baja and I really like how it handles on bad Baja dirt/rock roads at speed. But, I don't have experience with how reliable they are.

I have some hesitation spending $30K on a 10-year-old G500 when the same money would get me a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. In my experience, Mercedes makes good cars (I have a driven the same ML320 for 15 years and more than 200K miles, and I frequently take it down to Baja but it doesn't handle as well as the Jeep on dirt roads), but a 10-year-old car is a 10-year-old car. Anyways, I don't have enough info and knowledge to intelligently evaluate the pros and cons of a new/newer Jeep versus a G500 and was just asking some questions.

Maybe a Toyota FJ Cruiser would be a good alternative as well, in terms of both reliability and handling on bad dirt roads.

(I don't think I need a 707-HP Jeep, although it looks very cool. The Crew Chief also looks really cool. I'd go for the most basic model though, the Sport Unlimited, and put some BFGs on it.)

I used to own a fleet of Jeep Wranglers. Major improvement in quality/reliability after 1998. The fact that it can be had with axle difflocks (without them a 4x4 is not very useful in Baja) makes it one of my favorites.
But I always chose my G500 for any Baja expedition. And I mean expedition like in traveling very remote and self contained. Not the dirt road to Calamajue.

I would rather spend $50k on a used G500 than $40+k on a new Jeep Wrangler.

And no - a ten year old car is not a ten year old car.

I would not touch the FJCruiser with a pole. They were always the one that broke down on guided tours.

I still own a few Grand Cherokees (1990's) for clients. They cost nothing and do amazingly well in Baja. All of them close to 300k miles. Better for Baja than the ML320 (I say that even though I was involved in creating them).

4x4abc - 3-12-2016 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It's a poser car. For people that want to drive a Beverly Hills suv. As a daily driver, it drives like chit (clunky truck handling), and it's not very fuel efficient. There are many less expensive SUVs, that are cheaper, handle better. But, hey, if posing is your thing, go ahead and pay extra to drive some bling.

Yes, the G500 does not give you the luxury spongy mushy ride most other SUV's give you. I have a sofa at home for that. It's a super professional 4x4 that some rich kids discovered for status, because it has a price tag. It's perfect for posing - if that's what you are after. However, it provides a very firm ride. Much like any high performance (speed) car. Nothing wrong with folks driving them in Beverly Hills - keeps them away from my favorite spots in Baja. I prefer to see all SUV's around the malls.

I use mine as a tool. All chrome removed. Anything that indicates Mercedes is either removed or painted black. Heck, I haven't washed it in 3 years. I don't want anyone to notice what I drive. Like any good tool, it shines when it is used the way it was intended to.

https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/Uno-Baja-Extreme-A...

chuckie - 3-12-2016 at 02:37 PM

Neat trip Harald....Thanks

BigBearRider - 3-12-2016 at 03:26 PM

dirt cheap was related to the used ones already in the US

Very interesting. Not a lot of headache involved in getting it approved and registered in CA? I'll check out some German used car sites.

BigBearRider - 3-12-2016 at 03:28 PM

from the original article, the guy with 66 volvo P1800 was expecting to hit the 3 million mark in 2013 (the articles a few years old)....wonder if he made it? heck he could be on his way to 4 million! :O

He made it. I recall seeing a commercial with the car in the last couple of years. An article on the web said he hit 3 million in 2013. Fine Swedish engineering.

BigBearRider - 3-12-2016 at 03:39 PM

I used to own a fleet of Jeep Wranglers. Major improvement in quality/reliability after 1998. The fact that it can be had with axle difflocks (without them a 4x4 is not very useful in Baja) makes it one of my favorites.
But I always chose my G500 for any Baja expedition. And I mean expedition like in traveling very remote and self contained. Not the dirt road to Calamajue.

I would rather spend $50k on a used G500 than $40+k on a new Jeep Wrangler.

And no - a ten year old car is not a ten year old car.

I would not touch the FJCruiser with a pole. They were always the one that broke down on guided tours.

I still own a few Grand Cherokees (1990's) for clients. They cost nothing and do amazingly well in Baja. All of them close to 300k miles. Better for Baja than the ML320 (I say that even though I was involved in creating them).

Thanks, Harald. I value your experience and opinion.

I would go for the most basic Wrangler Unlimited and don't need to crawl over rocks. I just want to blast quickly over the bad dirt roads and have a car that absorbs the bumps and rocks very well.

I would have thought the FJ Cruiser would have Toyota quality, and that the TRD suspension should have helped. I'm surprised to hear they broke down a lot.

I get that there are differences between ten year old cars, based on initial build quality, overall design, and whether the car is designed to last, among other things.

I've been very happy with my car for 15 years. Still a ten year old car is ten years old. Having said that, my ML has had very few problems in the last 13 years. It had some minor issues the first two years. After that, I've replaced the ABS unit with a used one from Canada, and I replaced the cats. That's it, pretty much. Oh, and it has this weird thing where the ETS/ABS light will come on and it will lose drive but it only happens above 6,000 feet during the warmer months. I suspect it is brake related, and maybe has to do with fluids, but maybe not.

I suspect that my wife's never ML will not fare quite as well, but time will tell.

BigBearRider - 3-12-2016 at 03:44 PM

I had a 1977 265 with the V6. It was supposedly the worst engine you could get in that car It had 321K miles on the clock when I bought it, but the odometer was frozen. I retired it 10 years later and the State of California gave me $1,000, $400 less than I had paid for it. I suspect it had around 400K at the time. It was a great car, except it dropped the drive shaft once when my girlfriend was driving it.

chippy - 3-13-2016 at 05:13 PM

dirt cheap was related to the used ones already in th

I stand corrected. It is/was a relativly cheap vehicle. Well done! By the bye was that the benefit of being a German citizen? Or can any ole Yank do the same?

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by chippy]

4x4abc - 3-13-2016 at 05:57 PM

I stand corrected. It is/was a relativly cheap vehicle. Well done! By the bye was that the benefit of being a German citizen? Or can any ole Yank do the same?

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by chippy]

anyone can do it

the import brokers (their service is mandatory) will help you get through it

chippy - 3-13-2016 at 06:01 PM

Thanks Harald.