BajaNomad

Border PO box options

Gypsy62 - 3-10-2016 at 01:13 PM

Exploring options from Ensenada for PO box in US, though not necessarily USPO, within walking distance of border. Thus far, Tecate wins hands-down:
A. There is literally NO line for pedestrian crossing (at least weekday 2pm).
B. USPO 500 feet over border, easy small town stroll.
C. Parking in Tecate near border 'appears' ample and "secure"; leaving a vehicle unattended for a half-hour midday looks reasonably sane.
D. From Rosarito-south to Tecate adds <15 miles vs TJ.
E. I asked the USPO clerks about receiving mail/packages General Delivery and they were less than enthusiastic:
"Once is acceptable". Boxes are plentiful at $35/6months, and that allows you to receive unlimited packages. Box rental requires 2 forms ID and MX residency proof, any of these qualify: utility bill in your name, rental agreement, property ownership docs, etc.

All other easy-access PO box suggestions welcome.

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 04:10 PM

remember if you use a mailbox service like mail-boxes-etc ...
you are giving your mail to them...like a neighbor
they are your agent...it's now theirs too

you cannot do a "change of address" later

if they "go out of business" there is NO recourse with the usps
if your package goes missing...its between you and them

i'm not saying this is not the way to go because
it might be right for you

just don't believe everything you hear

SlyOnce - 3-10-2016 at 04:15 PM

I use Postal Annex, its a PMB Private Mail Box not a PO Box, so I have a regular street address. They received packages and text and email when they arrive. Cost $US 200/year. There is one in SY (I use one by my office - I still cross every day to work, less than 1 year remaining in that!). I'm first name basis with all the people there, the one I use is really great. I have this address on my CA DL and all my official records. Can't register to vote with it however.

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
I use Postal Annex, its a PMB Private Mail Box not a PO Box, so I have a regular street address. They received packages and text and email when they arrive. Cost $US 200/year. There is one in SY (I use one by my office - I still cross every day to work, less than 1 year remaining in that!). I'm first name basis with all the people there, the one I use is really great. I have this address on my CA DL and all my official records. Can't register to vote with it however.

2 questions...what is your plan when the postal annex goes out of business?

since you don't actually live in California...doesn't your vote not count?

SFandH - 3-10-2016 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

2 questions...what is your plan when the postal annex goes out of business?

since you don't actually live in California...doesn't your vote not count?

If the PMB folks go out of business you go online, contact the folks that send you mail, and change your address to your new one.

No problem.

You could also do this:

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by SFandH]

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

You could also do this:

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

can't do that...no forwarding from a PMB

contacting everyone online sounds easy but its not...

edit: wait...you could do that...when mail enters the system some of the fwd mail gets captured and the new address barcode is sprayed on...that would go to your new address

the rest of the "bills" get returned

remember the owner of mail is not the receiver but the person who put the postage on it

its not yours until you open it

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by Bob and Susan]

MMc - 3-10-2016 at 06:01 PM

It looks Like Gypsy is using a US Post Office Box.
Note:"USPO" and "General Delivery" Not a Annex.

SFandH - 3-10-2016 at 06:10 PM

I've used the forwarding service I linked to. A yellow label is produced and attached, automagically I assume, at the post office and the mail goes to the new address.

I like PMBs, no junk mail, they accept packages, they hold on to your mail if you disappear to baja for several months. Most of them offer shipping services, copying services, sell stationary etc., and some have notaries and translation services.

Service is far superior to the local USPS office, at least mine.

But you pay for it.

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 06:28 PM

no more yellow labels...computers took over...most "first class" is returned to the sender

we are almost paperless now...
just need a couple of things that need an address

mostly amazon and ebay : )

SFandH - 3-10-2016 at 06:34 PM

Do I need to take a photo and post it? I just stopped the forwarding service I linked to last week. One San Diego address to another.

The service worked great. I got all my first class mail forwarded. I know who sends me mail.

Why would they offer a forwarding service and the return the mail to sender?

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 06:38 PM

sorry...no it didn't...some went back...you just don't know

i'm glad you are happy

I'm sure the future is all on the internet

no more letters from grandma...she sends email or text

SFandH - 3-10-2016 at 06:41 PM

OK Bob, whatever you say.

Bob and Susan - 3-10-2016 at 06:45 PM

one of my jobs with the postal service was to develop and maintain the data base to sort the mail by computers...

they do that at about 12 letters a second...it's like a bandsaw...

i'm right this time

you're just like the hundreds of people I've talked to after they moved

Gypsy62 - 3-10-2016 at 07:41 PM

I want an easy walk across border to get mail/packages, with relatively secure parking on MX side. I haven't yet secured a box there, but yes, the Tecate, California, option is an actual US Postal Office, not a private mail service. And at $35 for 6 months, it's a third of the $200 Sly pays for postal annex. I'm glad to support the USPO.

Obviously, Sentrinos aren't concerned with a walking distance stateside mail facility because they have a minimal driving wait.

Re registering to vote, I've been involved in many registration drives. This is what you can do:
Swallow your pride, claim you are homeless, and on your voter registration form you provide a physical intersection, including a "compass" corner, with a zip code, example:
Dana Doe, South-West corner of intersection of Oak Blvd. and Main St., San Ysidro, CA., 90101.

This is absolutely legal and legitimate. It is the procedure for enfranchising Homeless voters.
Or, if you are abroad you can vote at any US Embassy or Consulate.

BajaBlanca - 3-10-2016 at 08:42 PM

I love that tidbit of information about being able to vote if you are homeless!

bajaguy - 3-10-2016 at 11:22 PM

There are a couple of mail services in Ensenada that cater to ex-pats. Pick up mail in San Diego and deliver to their location in Ensenada. One located by the park at 6th and Moctezuma, the other on Pedro Loyola near Florista

bajaguy - 3-10-2016 at 11:25 PM

Wrong, Bob - Im currently getting my mail forwarded from Nevada to a PMB in San Diego....with little yellow labels

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
no more yellow labels...computers took over...most "first class" is returned to the sender

we are almost paperless now...
just need a couple of things that need an address

mostly amazon and ebay : )

tjsue - 3-11-2016 at 01:03 AM

I had a PMB at a store San Diego for eight years. They went out of business after being in the same location for year and years very suddenly due to the building owner not wanting them there any more.
I went to pick up my mail one day, and there was brown paper all over the windows, and signs telling us to go to the PO for our mail.

When I went to the PO, the clerk told me that since the PMB store went out of business, they were holding our mail and would forward it, but we had to provide them with a change of address within 10 days.

mtgoat666 - 3-11-2016 at 07:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
OK Bob, whatever you say.

Bob knows it all, especially after his second shot of tequila.

Bob is a postman. That's ripe for some comedy.

Newman!

DENNIS - 3-11-2016 at 07:57 AM

Jeezo..a little early for snarkisms, isn't it Goat? :biggrin:

Anyway, here's a San Ysidro Postal Annex story for ya:
Years back...maybe twenty or more, the owner of that business was a Border Patrol agent who got the franchise just to supplement his income without realizing how time consuming it would be. So, he fell behind in getting the mail into the boxes and it started stacking up in his garage.
Eventually, the postal authorities got wind of this, and the agent lost the business. The stacked up mail was set out in the parking lot on picnic tables in an orderly, monitored manner, and owners were allowed to retrieve their mail.
Anyway #2....the current owner has another mail service in SY....don't know if it's a postal annex, and I doubt PA will be going out of business any time soon.

durrelllrobert - 3-11-2016 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
There are a couple of mail services in Ensenada that cater to ex-pats. Pick up mail in San Diego and deliver to their location in Ensenada. One located by the park at 6th and Moctezuma, the other on Pedro Loyola near Florista

I think that both of those charge extra for picking up/delivering packages though. Here in Punta Banda we have our own PMB service with close to 100 members. Mail and packages get delivered to common location in Chula vista and the members pick them up whenever they go to the states and deliver to a common location here. With that many members we get our mail twice a week usually. Why not move to Punta Banda and join? Membership is $150 per year.

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by durrelllrobert]

Alm - 3-11-2016 at 10:13 AM

I use Postal Annex, its a PMB Private Mail Box not a PO Box, so I have a regular street address. They received packages and text and email when they arrive. Cost $US 200/year. There is one in SY

Too expensive if you don't use it often. In other places there exist per-use services, ex. you pay $4 or 5 per parcel depending on package size when you receive it, no annual fees, they hold it for free first 3 weeks, $5/week thereafter. Not a PMB, just an address with your name like John Smith 123 Nowhere Str, you pickup at the counter. I wonder if there is something like this in SY. Exactly - packages, i.e. parcels, not letters/papers.

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by Alm]

Udo - 3-11-2016 at 10:29 AM

COUNT ME IN, BOB!

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

I think that both of those charge extra for picking up/delivering packages though. Here in Punta Banda we have our own PMB service with close to 100 members. Mail and packages get delivered to common location in Chula vista and the members pick them up whenever they go to the states and deliver to a common location here. With that many members we get our mail twice a week usually. Why not move to Punta Banda and join? Membership is $150 per year.

durrelllrobert - 3-11-2016 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
COUNT ME IN, BOB!

See U2U

Punta Banda mail service

joyvoice - 8-14-2016 at 02:36 PM

Here in Punta Banda we have our own PMB service with close to 100 members. Mail and packages get delivered to common location in Chula vista and the members pick them up whenever they go to the states and deliver to a common location here. With that many members we get our mail twice a week usually. Why not move to Punta Banda and join? Membership is $150 per year.

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and am in the process of possibly moving to Punta Banda. I'm interested in finding out more about the mail service. Do we need our own address in Chula Vista or is it an address that everyone mails to? I'd love to know how that works.

Thanks,
Joy

Udo - 8-15-2016 at 08:29 AM

Many of us in the Punta Banda area use THE MAIL ROOM.

It is right off the freeway in Chula Vista @ corner of Palm/Emory St.
The cost is $120.00 per year. 619-429-6888 and you can google them.

They sign for all your packages, mail your packages and letters for you (you DO have to take them there.)

They are also right across the street from the Chula Vista post office so any official mail service you need to handle is also convenient.

If they ask you who recommended you, tell them Udo Winkler (They like being appreciated).

bajaguy - 8-15-2016 at 08:52 AM

But she still needs to get her mail from The Mail Room to Punta Banda. I believe the only service that picks up at that location and delivers to PB is run by Irka Davis

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Many of us in the Punta Banda area use THE MAIL ROOM.

It is right off the freeway in Chula Vista @ corner of Palm/Emory St.
The cost is $120.00 per year. 619-429-6888 and you can google them.

They sign for all your packages, mail your packages and letters for you (you DO have to take them there.)

They are also right across the street from the Chula Vista post office so any official mail service you need to handle is also convenient.

If they ask you who recommended you, tell them Udo Winkler (They like being appreciated).

Mail delivered to Punta Banda

joyvoice - 8-15-2016 at 12:16 PM

Thanks, Udo, for the Chula Vista info. Is that part of the Punta Banda membership service too, where it seems that members take turns picking up mail and packages for one another? In other words, would I need both services, the one in Chula Vista and the one in Punta Banda? Sounds like several hundred dollars for the two of them combined. Needing some clarification on this. Thanks.

Bajaguy, thanks for the Irka Davis suggestion. I'm guessing he is a member on this forum? I'll search and see if I can find him.

Looking forward to the sunsets and hot springs-y sand.

Joy

[Edited on 8-15-2016 by joyvoice]

bajaguy - 8-15-2016 at 12:56 PM

Irka is not a member of this forum, however I can u2u her contact info.

You would have to get an account (box) at the Mail Room, then separately contract with Irka to pick up and deliver your mail to Punta Banda. I think she only makes pick-ups at the Mail Room once a week

The other option is the Punta Banda group that makes pick-ups at the Save-On Storage mail drop in Chula Vista. Whenever a member of that group heads across the border, they pick up mail and whatever packages they can and deliver it to a central location at Campo la Jolla (Punta Banda)

Both options seem to work well

Quote: Originally posted by joyvoice  
Thanks, Udo, for the Chula Vista info. Is that part of the Punta Banda membership service too, where it seems that members take turns picking up mail and packages for one another? In other words, would I need both services, the one in Chula Vista and the one in Punta Banda? Sounds like several hundred dollars for the two of them combined. Needing some clarification on this. Thanks.

Bajaguy, thanks for the Irka Davis suggestion. I'm guessing he is a member on this forum? I'll search and see if I can find him.

Looking forward to the sunsets and hot springs-y sand.

Joy

[Edited on 8-15-2016 by joyvoice]

joyvoice

bajaguy - 8-15-2016 at 01:19 PM

You might want to sign up for the Punta Banda Community Bulletin Board and the Punta Banda Facebook page

If you can separate the wheat from the chaff, you can glean some helpful information regarding community events and happenings

https://www.facebook.com/groups/puntabanda/

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

joyvoice - 8-15-2016 at 02:03 PM

Hi Bajaguy,

I appreciate your help and suggestions.
I've already put in a request to be part of the Punta Banda Facebook group and will find the bulletin board next.

Here's another question I couldn't find an answer for here on the forum.

Good wifi connectivity is crucial for the online work that I do. Do you or anyone you know have an idea about the reliability of and download/upload speeds in Punta Banda? And whether or not the provider company has plan levels that give higher coverage for a higher price?

Thanks so much,
Joy

bajaguy - 8-15-2016 at 02:24 PM

Wi-Fi is spotty ranging from excellent to not so fast depending on where you are in the Punta Banda & Ensenada area. Telnor is the hard wire telephone/internet carrier, some people have satellite and there may be cable available. Again, it would depend on where you are. Whatever the service tells you they can provide, it is usually less.

Once you get subscribed to the newsletter you can pose that question to the community

We are lucky and have fiber optic where we live (not in the Punta Banda area) and it has been great.

Quote: Originally posted by joyvoice  

Good wifi connectivity is crucial for the online work that I do. Do you or anyone you know have an idea about the reliability of and download/upload speeds in Punta Banda? And whether or not the provider company has plan levels that give higher coverage for a higher price?

Thanks so much,
Joy

[Edited on 8-15-2016 by bajaguy]

Udo - 8-15-2016 at 03:23 PM

Banda Ancha from TELNOR goes as far a Rancho Packard. but it took Kathleen's handiwork and perseverance to get it to work in Rancho Packard. Before Kathleen's work, crawling was as fast as it went.

Between Maneadero and Ranch Packard, the speed of the WWW has been comparable to what I had with AT&T in the US.