BajaNomad

San Francisquito

baja99 - 3-17-2016 at 10:45 PM

Want to check out San Francisquito. 3 hours drive time from LA Bay accurate? Is camping my only option? Thanks for any info!

TMW - 3-18-2016 at 08:32 AM

The last time I was there was Jan. 2015. We didn't stay as it was pretty windy. They had been hit hard by heavy rains etc in 2014 and as I recall when we were there was only one enclosed Palapa or Cabana with beds. I think there was only a couple of open Palapas standing. They may have improved things since I was there. The restaurant was open.

At the south end of the beach on Google Earth it shows Cabanas but I've never went down there to check it out.

I suggest you be prepared to camp.

3-4 hours is about right from LA Bay to SF depending on what you are driving. Most of the road is in good shape, just a couple of rough spots. It's about 80 miles.

TMW - 3-18-2016 at 09:45 AM

Just a thought, unless you want to stay near the water, Rancho Escondido is about 12 miles from SF at the junction to El Barril. They have cabanas, camping and a restaurant.

AKgringo - 3-18-2016 at 10:08 AM

This thread was posted a few months back. I think that Hombre66 is at San Fransiquito now, or will be soon. I am looking forward to his update, because my information is a couple of months older that TMW's.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81454&got...

Bajazly - 3-18-2016 at 11:05 AM

The beach is nice but the people who run it now don't seem to care to make it what it once was. Been there a couple of times in the last year or so and don't see any reason to go back unless someone like Cherri comes back to make it a cool destination again.

There is a house up on the hill to the north they will rent out but when I was there the water didn't work and electricity was hit or miss, they didn't seem to run the generator very much. It was a little spendy too.

Rancho Piedra Blanca is a bit further out towards GN and that place is cool, just not near the water.

C205Driver - 3-18-2016 at 02:03 PM

. . .Have not been there for a year & 1/2, , ,VERY Rustic; beautiful beach & surroundings. . . Juan, Mingo & his wife Rosa were great hosts & cooks; we always opened a box of red wine & would spend time with them & never got anything less than a fun / helpful attitude . . .If you search the forums you should come up with an email address & phone number!!!!. . .Only ever down there in Octobers or month of May. . . Excellent weather ( MOST of the time ). . .

baja99 - 3-18-2016 at 07:22 PM

Thanks for the information. Sounds like we better count on camping. Or maybe we will look for a spot to beach camp between LA Bay and SF. Haven't been south of LA Bay on that dirt road.

I did contact Rancho Escondido- not enough room for us over Easter.

Thanks again for the help!

baja99 - 3-18-2016 at 08:28 PM

Maybe Las Animas if we have to bring all our own supplies anyway! Haven't been there either.

hombre66 - 3-18-2016 at 10:32 PM

I am on my way there starting 3/27. AK and somebody else gave me useful info awhile back so am hoping there's at least some running water in one of the two baths. (important to the female in our small group) 99, this is the start of the nicest weather with minimal wind there. After May 15 ..hot. Unfortunately, that's when the water warms for swimming and the fishing improves (mossbacks) I will report conditions and services soon after I return. Oh , as far as the road goes, I've traveled it when there were washouts every 1/2 mile, to following the grader in.

Barry A. - 3-18-2016 at 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja99  
Maybe Las Animas if we have to bring all our own supplies anyway! Haven't been there either.

It's beautiful camping on Las Animas Bay-----------bear left as you approach the bay and there is a fabulous beach that is easily accessible with 4x4 vehicles, or even 2-wheel drive if your careful----fat tires with low pressure help for the sand.

redhilltown - 3-18-2016 at 11:16 PM

I'm with Barry...turn left and it is an amazing beach!! But yeah, bring EVERYTHING you may need.

BajaRun - 3-19-2016 at 07:44 AM

I was there in November after the Baja 1000 race. There was no water in the bathrooms. The place was looking really run down after being hit hard by past storms. I have camped there before but decided to move on this last trip.

baja99 - 3-19-2016 at 08:07 AM

Las Animas is starting to sound like a better plan. About an hour south of Bay of LA? We can save SF for a road trip rather than a destination. Thanks for the help!

David K - 3-19-2016 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by baja99  

It's beautiful camping on Las Animas Bay-----------bear left as you approach the bay and there is a fabulous beach that is easily accessible with 4x4 vehicles, or even 2-wheel drive if your careful----fat tires with low pressure help for the sand.

Two miles before reaching Las Animas fish camp, on the top and side of the hill (the road splits and goes around each side, and rejoins): https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/mystery_... :light:

Here is the road log to Las Animas (from that article):

Road Log

0.0 (0.0) Turn left (south) off pavement (by Xitlali Market), Bahía de los Angeles, on the graded road south towards Punta San Francisquito.

4.1 (4.1) Camp Gecko road to left, continue south.

9.9 (5.8) Las Flores Jail Ruins, 1/4 mile off to the right.

12.4 (2.5) Graded road curves to the left and a faint road continues straight, going to the cable line terminal, at the south end of the Las Flores railroad. Continue on graded road.

22.7 (10.3) A faint road to the right is the older route south, going down Valle la Bocana. A car door turned into a sign once marked the turnoff, but is gone. Continue on graded road.

26.7 (4.0) Turnoff left goes north to Bahia las Animas. Graded road continues straight. Turn left.

33.7 (7.0) FORK, approaching the mesa. Both roads go to Las Animas and rejoin on the opposite side of the mesa. The left branch is the more used route and runs 2.3 miles before rejoining with the right branch. Go right.

35.0 (1.3) PALM (just after passing near the dam and the edge of the mesa).

35.2 (0.2) Access to climb to the wall is off to the left.

35.9 (0.7) Rejoin with left branch road that came from the fork at mile 33.7.

37.9 (2.0) End of road at lagoon, just past fish camp on the beach at Bahía las Animas.

rzitren - 3-19-2016 at 08:16 AM

I was at San Francisquitos a month ago. Saw a woman sweeping the floor of the kitchen area but no one else. Most of the buildings have fallen down or close to it. We stayed with Beto in the bay to the north of the runway. He has a small cabana and a house to rent and also bathrooms and showers for camping.

David K - 3-19-2016 at 08:32 AM

That is pretty much the way it was in July 2012 on my last visit there. We drove up, late in the afternoon (no other visitors were there). I walked over to the kitchen/dining area, and a couple of 'employees' were watching a soccer game on TV (Hermosillo station?)... I asked about business, services, etc. The response was "nobody comes here in the summer"... Seriously? Who was I? No offer of a beer or meal (to sell me) or anything. I walked back to the truck where my wife waited to find out the situation on camping there. We took a few photos of the white-capped sea and windblown beach... then left for Bahía San Rafael to camp. All day I had been building up the place as a heavenly location and perfect beach with mantas flying and whales singing at night (from my 1980's trip).

OCEANUS - 3-19-2016 at 08:16 PM

baja 99
Please check your U2U...

KurtG - 3-20-2016 at 08:24 AM

It appears that the folks there now are mostly just caretakers and aren't being given any resources to fix up the place. If you are self sufficient campers it is still one of the most lovely spots in Baja IMHO.

I have great memories of when Chary and Javier were there. They were great hosts and the little resort was in good shape.

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2016 at 08:36 AM

Who owns the place?

baja99 - 3-20-2016 at 08:44 AM

We'll only be camping 2-3 nights. We will plan to be self sufficient. Our group is adults and older kids- hoping we find a good spot to explore! We haven't been on the dirt road south of Bay of LA. Las Animas, San Raphael, San Francisquito...not enough time to see it all! 😝

David K - 3-20-2016 at 10:11 AM

So much Baja... so little time!

TMW - 3-20-2016 at 10:36 AM

Don't forget to explore the rock wall DK found on your way to Las Animas or while you are there. It's close by at 28-46.73x113-20.53.

AKgringo - 3-20-2016 at 11:04 AM

Baja99, do you intend to make a down and back trip from B.O.L.A., or do you plan on heading out through El Arco to Highway 1?

Either way, be sure to have enough fuel to allow for a bit of exploring. You may be able buy a few gallons at one of the camps, but it is not a good bet to make.

baja99 - 3-20-2016 at 11:22 AM

AKGringo- Down and out through BOLA is the plan. Thanks for the fuel reminder!

David K - 3-20-2016 at 11:48 AM

Do be aware that if you are continuing south, to not go via El Arco, but take the shorter route via Guillermo Prieto that passes near Mission Santa Gertrudis... between the San Francisquito road and Hwy. 1 about 7 miles northbound from Vizcaino (gasoline there). It is a good graded dirt road... here it is added onto the AAA map (12.3 mi road). If you would go that way, I can provide more details...

KurtG - 3-20-2016 at 02:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Do be aware that if you are continuing south, to not go via El Arco, but take the shorter route via Guillermo Prieto that passes near Mission Santa Gertrudis... between the San Francisquito road and Hwy. 1 about 7 miles northbound from Vizcaino (gasoline there). It is a good graded dirt road... here it is added onto the AAA map (12.3 mi road). If you would go that way, I can provide more details...

Last year that 12.3 miles of road was pretty bad, a lot of erosion. Southern part was fine.

TMW - 3-20-2016 at 04:20 PM

I was on it last weekend, no problem.

KurtG - 3-20-2016 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I was on it last weekend, no problem.

Thanks, good to know. I will probably ride it early next month.

baja99 - 3-20-2016 at 09:08 PM

Has anyone traveled to Las Animas since the hurricane? Someone mentioned the road to San Rafael was clear, but thought Las Animas might still be in bad shape.

JZ - 3-20-2016 at 09:21 PM

Until you've taken a boat from BoLA to SF you haven't lived.

TMW - 3-21-2016 at 10:15 AM

I drove from LA Bay to San Rafael and around bypassing El Arco and taking the short cut to Vizcaino. Except for a couple of rough spots (no problem just slow down) the road was in good shape. I was in a 2004 GMC Z71.

I would like to take a boat and stop by the wall south of San Rafael and check it out.

cioppa - 3-21-2016 at 04:48 PM

TMW
There are two roads to take in order to get to Las Animas. The main dirt road (which you drove to San Rafael and beyond), and the secondary dirt road into Las Animas after turning off the main road.

I believe Baja 99 was asking about the secondary one.

There have been postings on this board about the damage to this secondary road from Odile. I have heard that the road was damaged/washed out but am not sure if it is still passable of if any repairs were made to it following the hurricane.

David K - 3-21-2016 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cioppa  
TMW
There are two roads to take in order to get to Las Animas. The main dirt road (which you drove to San Rafael and beyond), and the secondary dirt road into Las Animas after turning off the main road.

I believe Baja 99 was asking about the secondary one.

There have been postings on this board about the damage to this secondary road from Odile. I have heard that the road was damaged/washed out but am not sure if it is still passable of if any repairs were made to it following the hurricane.

It is an 11 mile, ungraded (or unimproved) desert road... in the right vehicle with driving skills and lowered air pressure, 2WD is OK. However, if there is any exception to those items, 4WD recommended... especially if you drive onto the dry sand to set up camp.

AKgringo - 3-21-2016 at 05:31 PM

I did not comment about the road into Las Animas until now, because my information is from November 2014, and is second hand.

I was going to meet a Canadian friend there on my way north, but he was not able to get in there. Hurricanes Norbert and Odile had moved things around quite a bit, and he got pretty badly stuck for over a day, well short of the beach!

He was driving a 4x4 with a camper, but was pulling a utility trailer loaded with toys, and that proved to be too much.

That was one of the places on my list of destinations this year, but fate kept me NOB this season. I wonder how the road is now?

baja99 - 3-21-2016 at 05:34 PM

Yes Cioppa, I am asking about the secondary road. I've had someone mention it was in pretty bad shape right after Odile. Not sure if any repairs have been made.

For those suggesting a boat ride - If one shows up by Friday with my name on it- that's the route I'll take!