BajaNomad

mexico car rental company

bajasusan/a - 3-18-2016 at 09:07 AM

I need to drive some folks one way either Tijuana to La Paz or vice versa at the end of may. anyone have a Mexican company to suggest?

BigBearRider - 3-18-2016 at 10:14 AM

I think you'll find that most of the major rental car companies are in both Tijuana and La Paz.

I drove from Loreto to Tijuana with a Fox rental last year. The one-way rental is pretty expensive, I think it added more than $500 to my rental. I was told by a Fox guy in Tijuana that because my rental had BCS plates, he would have to drive it back to Loreto. He said he does the drive quite often.

bajasusan/a - 3-18-2016 at 04:48 PM

thanks! if you really mean 500usd and not mxn when you cited additional cost, the rental itself may be beyond my range. may I ask what you total cost was?

BigBearRider - 3-18-2016 at 04:59 PM

It was $500+ USD for the one-way fee. The rental was a Jeep 4x4 which isn't cheap to begin with, and maybe the one-way fee is proportional to the rental cost. I cannot recall exactly how much it ended up being. Maybe the rental was $200 or $300 for three or four days or something, plus the one-way fee.

Best to call and check.

weebray - 3-18-2016 at 05:42 PM

There' hardly a Buick made that's worth 500 bucks. Buy it and leave it.

woody with a view - 3-18-2016 at 05:49 PM

Get on the bus, Gus!

bajasusan/a - 3-19-2016 at 04:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Get on the bus, Gus!

oh, I totally would, and do when I am sola, but I am driving 3 others. I like another nomad's idea of buying a jalopy and ditching it, tho, except it might be a little unreliable for tourists. those of us who have been nomading the baja for a few years know to always expect problems and always expect help.

thanks, all, I'm good now