BajaNomad

Warning to Baja vets

bajatrailrider - 3-21-2016 at 09:55 AM

As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 10:05 AM

Interesting, We are experiencing the same thing here in Kansas, Ranchers and Cowboys working cattle are reporting lots of Rattlers, more than usual. Emerging much earlier than normal. Watch it!

KurtG - 3-21-2016 at 10:19 AM

Thursday Kathy and I did a drive to see wildflowers in northern SLO county, they are pretty spectacular BTW. We were stopped on Bitterwater Road (almost right on top of the fault line) and a local rancher stopped to warn us about rattlesnakes. Said they were present in larger than normal numbers and he was making a point to warn people.

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2016 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.

No need to kill the snakes! Wear boots and pants, youll be fine

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 11:41 AM

Havnt seen any cowboys working without boots and pants on...Might be different where you live..

Jack Swords - 3-21-2016 at 11:45 AM

Of course there is your dog running around without boots and pants (at least mine won't wear his pants).

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2016 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Of course there is your dog running around without boots and pants (at least mine won't wear his pants).

Take your pooches to rattle snake avoidance training. Its effective

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 11:56 AM

Do they have those classes for horses and cattle?

willardguy - 3-21-2016 at 11:57 AM

no question the goat is right here, and I know its wrong, but I prefer my rattlers in two pieces :(

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 12:54 PM

Depends on your point of view, like everything else...Horses and cattle tend to be bitten in the face, while grazing. Generally their airways swell up,and If not found quickly, end up dying a terrible death, unable to breath or drink water. Most of us carry a piece of garden hose, which can be forced down the airway, letting them get some air. They then must be transported to a Vet. The vet bill will seldom be less than 5-600 bucks, and one of my wifes mares cost almost 2000 for treatment. So we kill every rattler we see...Dogs are less of a problem, they are vaccinated, which minimizes the effect of a bite...SO...do what spins your crank.we are gonna keep killling them....

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 01:08 PM

This pony died..

bajabuddha - 3-21-2016 at 01:30 PM

I agree; I run into a buzzworm on his turf, he lives. He's on mine, buh-bye. Same goes with Biuda Negras... unless of course she's over 80 years old with a bad cough and owns her own chain of liquor stores.

bajatrailrider - 3-21-2016 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

MT You are beyond help,are you just plain stupid.Or just live in your backyard in SD. I wish the snake I dont kill,keeps you company.The Market across the street,had one inside,with two kids in there. Next door baby rattler in house,with 3 kids in there. Do you post,just to be seen.As no nothing, You should just go under a rock in Baja. I will always respond to your,worthless:bounce: posts.

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2016 at 02:41 PM

I will always respond to your,worthless:bounce: posts.

No one can resist my allure!

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 03:08 PM

SO? You support the death of that pony, and have no regard for the feelings of it's 12 year old owner? Killing of rattlesnakes is NOT indiscriminate...We do it on purpose.

Tomas Tierra - 3-21-2016 at 03:24 PM

Plenty of turf outside of human habitation areas for those things..

If I see one in the wild away from my camp, I let it alone..
If one turns up in my camp, or on a walk to the facilities, or on the path down to the surf..... Resotera

toronja - 3-21-2016 at 03:42 PM

I think the question is where the snake is. I love wildlife, but I'm not going to leave a rattlesnake in my backyard where I let my dogs out. They play an important role in the ecosystem, so I also wouldn't go out killing them on their turf.

Useful things you can do to keep them away from your property:
-Keep your rodent population down;
-Make sure critters don't have access under your house/outbuildings;
-Remove shrubs, wood, and rockpiles from immediately around your house/outbuildings, as well as property - this is snake habitat;
-Keep vegetation mowed/trimmed, especially at ground level;
-Don't kill large nonvenomous snakes like gopher snakes - they will keep your rodent population down and use resources a rattlesnake might otherwise find desirable.

Definitely take the time to train your dog to avoid snakes and train a strong "leave it" cue.

(Fyi, chuckie, research on the dog rattlesnake vaccine was really limited - I did a lot of reading up on it, and it probably won't hurt to get it, but I wouldn't rely on it whatsoever. Especially for Baja red rattlers, which are a different species than the venom it was created for).

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 04:08 PM

Oxnard? Ok... One of our pastures is 1600 acres +or-...Its inhabitants , if the count is correct a/o Friday, is 187 Mama cows and about 157 babies...So no HUMAN habitation.. I think there are 6-7 horses out there as well...So? We don't kill snakes out there?

bajabuddha - 3-21-2016 at 04:10 PM

Far's anti-venin is concerned, do you really think it's regularly stocked at Baja clinics and hospitals, and readily available to the general population? I also know this for a fact; it isn't recommended for treatment unless the bite is definitely deep and the venom is actively progressing; otherwise the antivenin can be worse than a casual shallow bite.

Again, as stated by more than just I..... my turf, my rules. What has worked well for my yard in New Mexico is having corrugated roofing sheets on their sides wired to my fencing and buried down about 4", overlapping each other as a barrier for entry into my yard. I still nail a few every year; one year dispatched four in one summer... we get four different species here too, and all venomous. (FYI, I feed my tarantulas). On the other hand, my neighbor pops our cute widdle bunny wabbits because they "eat his expensive shrubberies" he planted that are totally non-indigenous. Won't even eat 'em afterwards, the a-hole.

Out in the woods and deserts, their turf. Farms, ranches, pastures, they gotta go, period. I'm amazed at all living creatures, and all have their place in the ecosystem, but my back yard ain't one of 'em. Or the front yard for that matter.

EDIT: And to the OP, if you're donor-cycling in the back country and killing any snake you encounter just because it's a buzz-worm, it's kinda like sting-rays...... you takes yer chances. Take a stick and shoo it off your trail. Horses or cattle nearby is different.... but just to kill, hope karma doesn't catch up.

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by bajabuddha]

chuckie - 3-21-2016 at 04:41 PM

Toronja? Agree on the dog shots...When we were doing the hunting business, we usually had 3-4 dogs bitten per year Seems the ones with the shots did better, kind of a different deal though..dogs seem to be bitten in the xtremities....As I remember 2 lost legs one older Lab died, fat out of shape...Vet said heart attack.....Shots are cheap or free..doesn't hurt to hedge your bets...Buddha? These dog shots are NOT antivenins...They are a sort of preventative boosted every year...Our vets here give then free..

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by chuckie]

Udo - 3-21-2016 at 07:37 PM

And I thought you were talking about US veterans living in Baja

bajatrailrider - 3-21-2016 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
And I thought you were talking about US veterans living in Baja

How about anybody anywhere,watch out for snakes.:D

bajatrailrider - 3-21-2016 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  

It seems to me that indiscriminate killing of rattlesnakes or any native wildlife is incredibly stupid and senseless. Hopefully more people will comment on this thread.
So another knuckle head,that does not live in Baja.Thinks rattlers are good,We dont kill them unless.There in our way.Let me ask you this. If your Child,God for give.Was about to be bit by a rattler,would you post this.:bounce:

dtbushpilot - 3-21-2016 at 08:42 PM

I'm with Buddha on this one, his turf I leave him alone, my turf and he gets the shovel. If I am camping and find one in or near my campsite he is on my turf. When I encounter them when hiking or riding my bike it's his turf. If that isn't fair enough for you too bad, I don't care.

JZ - 3-21-2016 at 09:02 PM

Saw two around here in LA last week.

Gulliver - 3-22-2016 at 01:30 AM

They have been rare enough in the hills West of Mulege that I stop the bike and look them over. Beautiful animals. I almost ran over one up near Estanislau a couple of months ago. A big fat female who was NOT amused that I came that close to her with my wheels. After a minute or so in the classic coiled up pose she did something I hadn't seen before. She crawled away into the brush while keeping her head pointed at me. She had my full attention and respect. I had hers.

bajatrailrider - 3-22-2016 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I'm with Buddha on this one, his turf I leave him alone, my turf and he gets the shovel. If I am camping and find one in or near my campsite he is on my turf. When I encounter them when hiking or riding my bike it's his turf. If that isn't fair enough for you too bad, I don't care.
That is fair enough. When I posted this,I could have left out the part.We had to kill some.I put that part in to hear the bed wetters. My dogs/cats/Kids /live stock come first. When riding by rattle snakes,on our bikes.Off ranchos yes let them be. On my property,they are history. On opening gates,rattlers that wont move history. Bed wetters in SD don't understand this. Too bad ,your get I stick to make them move. Or dog training,in Baja to avoid snakes.Good joke gone bad :bounce:

Tomas Tierra - 3-22-2016 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Oxnard? Ok...?

Oxnard is better than ok Pluto lose the L..:lol:

If I had livestock in my life, I would see things differently... With that kind of acreage I don't think you can get them all

Tomas Tierra - 3-22-2016 at 01:35 PM

What would an indigenous Indian from Baja do to one back in that time?

bajabuddha - 3-22-2016 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
What would an indigenous Indian from Baja do to one back in that time?

...Put it in a woven basket and hypnotize it with a reed-flute to bilk a few clams from the tourista-Indians on the beach during Semana Santa....

Probably EAT IT would be my guess. Tastes like chicken. :light:

chuckie - 3-22-2016 at 02:29 PM

I think people should follow their conscience..Because they have such an effect on ranch economics, we kill them when we see them...We don't do "snake hunts". My daughters made pocket money selling the skins, and we ate a lot of them, still do. I have been bitten twice.. They wont often kill you, but WILL cause major tissue loss...Its not a perfect world...

bajabuddha - 3-22-2016 at 03:10 PM

..... a buzz-worm bit YOU, Chuck??? Aww, poor lil' fella..... did he get some antivenin? (J. Daniels IV push) ;)

chuckie - 3-22-2016 at 03:19 PM

Nah! He got ate, and I got John Jameson..never have had to have antivenin....

bajatrailrider - 3-22-2016 at 03:27 PM

It seems to me that indiscriminate killing of rattlesnakes or any native wildlife is incredibly stupid and senseless. Hopefully more people will comment on this thread.
So another knuckle head,that does not live in Baja.Thinks rattlers are good,We dont kill them unless.There in our way.Let me ask you this. If your Child,God for give.Was about to be bit by a rattler,would you post this.:bounce:

So, I have to admit that I got my back up a bit when you posted about running over every snake you see. When I was researching for my trip to Baja I was interested in seeing a rattlesnake so came across a video of a guy chopping the head off a six or seven foot diamondback rattlesnake then proudly showing the severed head to the camera. Not too cool as far as I was concerned. Anyway, you got called stupid and in return I got called a knucklehead, probably not something either one of us needs.

From the few replies it looks like it is best to scare off or kill any rattlers near your home or camp and leave them alone (maybe even drive around them on the road) when in wild areas. And it seems reasonable and necessary to control them on the ranch. I grew up on cattle ranches in SE British Columbia and it was a constant battle to keep the gopher numbers down . Unfortunately their burrows left mounds in the hayfields and damaged the equipment at harvest time. I have shot hundreds or maybe thousands of gophers when I was kid, something I didn't think much about at the time. Many if not most country folk where I grew up also killed badgers, skunks and porcupine on sight. There were plenty of badgers around in the seventies and eighties but now they are critically endangered in BC.

I did a bit of research and found out that between one thousand and eight thousand people are bitten by rattlesnakes each year in the US which is really quite a lot. Between five and fifteen of these people die, which is about one tenth to three tenths of one percent of those bitten. Lightning kills at least three times as many people in the US though.

In BC where I live two or three people are bitten every year by rattlesnakes, which are found in one small area of the province.. They are also much less venomous than the southern US snakes(not sure how venomous the Baja rattler is). Here the rattlers are not endangered but are on the provincial blue list because of habitat loss and many people killing them on site. In the area where there are rattlers there is also the large(diamondback size) non venomous gopher snake. It is basically harmless to people but they are also on the blue list because of habitat loss and people mistaking them for rattlers and killing them.

It was also interesting to find out that most or all of the rattlesnakes in the southern US and Mexico are not threatened even though so many are killed by people.

[Edited on 3-22-2016 by seasider]
This does make some sense,except (with respect) We are in Baja ,Mexico. Not USA/or BC. Just like above post we dont go looking for rattlers to kill.Since Im out 4 days or more a week.Outback my experience is this (By the way in MEXICO) Rattler at gate, throw some small stones to get him.To leave he does not go away.Other very narrow trail,I see rock ledge on side. Throw few rocks there is rattler. He wont move that is the end of them.Remember no help close by for help. Riding around Snake if we can,we do. There is no shortage of snakes this year. I feel bad for the girls horse that passed.

Gulliver - 3-22-2016 at 05:05 PM

I takes a lot of bad luck to die from a rattlesnake bite. Like getting nailed on the face or neck and/or having some cardio vascular problems in advance. Not like some African snakes whose venom stops your heart.

I have had a lot of interactions with these beauties and so far they have been every bit as alarmed about me as I was about them only they made a scarier noise. There is a part of my primordial brain that knows all about that sound. One would have be drunk or stupid (but I repeat myself) to fool with one at close range.

They tend to keep to themselves. They do like roads at night and in the mornings. Once I was driving the fifty or so miles from French Glenn to Fields in Oregon not long after dawn. There was small guy warming up on the edge of the pavement. I took a moment to herd him off into the sage. When I got to Fields to have my ritual milk shake the guy at the store asked me where I had come from. I said, "French". He said, "Did you see that rattler?" A quiet day in S.E. Oregon.

DanO - 3-22-2016 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
There is a part of my primordial brain that knows all about that sound.

That is a fact. I was clearing brush when I was a kid years ago in the Sierra foothills northeast of Oroville CA and nearly stepped on a rattler coiled at the base of a young scrub oak. When that rattle went off, I instinctively jumped backwards, off of one foot, and landed on my back about six feet away, did a backwards somersault and ran another six feet, smack into a tree. That embedded fear and a good dose of adrenalin can make you an Olympic athlete, but your aim might not be so hot.

rocmoc - 3-22-2016 at 06:13 PM

We caught a Diamond Back Rattler last weekend at our home here in Arizona. Guy helping me with some firewood took it further out in the desert. Already have several reported bites here in AZ.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

BajaRat - 3-22-2016 at 06:31 PM

I worry about rattlers biting our kids, mutts and livestock......
I worry less when their in our frying pan. :cool:

[Edited on 3-23-2016 by BajaRat]

chuckie - 3-22-2016 at 06:33 PM

+10

woody with a view - 3-22-2016 at 06:51 PM

Working in the high desert we have the most venomous rattler in America, AKA Mojave Green. Supposedly aggressive and doesn't always broadcast its location. You know it's there when it bites you! Oh, and the occasional Sidewinder. So far none, hopefully it stays that way for the next 5-6 weeks!

willardguy - 3-22-2016 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
There is a part of my primordial brain that knows all about that sound.

That is a fact. I was clearing brush when I was a kid years ago in the Sierra foothills northeast of Oroville CA and nearly stepped on a rattler coiled at the base of a young scrub oak. When that rattle went off, I instinctively jumped backwards, off of one foot, and landed on my back about six feet away, did a backwards somersault and ran another six feet, smack into a tree. That embedded fear and a good dose of adrenalin can make you an Olympic athlete, but your aim might not be so hot.

you should hear that snake relating that story to his snake buddy's around the campfire! :lol:

chuckie - 3-22-2016 at 08:26 PM

:P:P:P:o

bajatrailrider - 3-23-2016 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Working in the high desert we have the most venomous rattler in America, AKA Mojave Green. Supposedly aggressive and doesn't always broadcast its location. You know it's there when it bites you! Oh, and the occasional Sidewinder. So far none, hopefully it stays that way for the next 5-6 weeks!
I used to camp in Jawbone canyon.22 of us around campfire,Mojave Green came. Within 7/10ft of campfire at night,12 gauge Gone NO MAS.

norte - 3-23-2016 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
I used to camp in Jawbone canyon.22 of us around campfire,Mojave Green came. Within 7/10ft of campfire at night,12 gauge Gone NO MAS.

go git em. Only good rattler is a dead rattler. long wit injuns.

bajatrailrider - 3-23-2016 at 09:40 AM

If your referring to me as, long wit injun NERDY . I would expect anything from our Resident Nature N-zi. Your only worthless posts,are to disrupt off road forms. That is fine, Its my pleasure to bring to attention what you are NERDY. Still a control freak,with dippers needing change. Give a rest NERDY, If you don't have anything good to say.Witch you never do in off road forums. You will be called out.You and your two other sit in chair,talkers no nothing. :?:

chuckie - 3-23-2016 at 09:46 AM

HUH?

bajatrailrider - 3-23-2016 at 09:54 AM

It should be easy to understand Chuckie. Nerdy never has anything good to say about off road people. Since I'm;) pro off road,I will address him.

monoloco - 3-23-2016 at 12:55 PM

MT You are beyond help,are you just plain stupid.Or just live in your backyard in SD. I wish the snake I dont kill,keeps you company.The Market across the street,had one inside,with two kids in there. Next door baby rattler in house,with 3 kids in there. Do you post,just to be seen.As no nothing, You should just go under a rock in Baja. I will always respond to your,worthless:bounce: posts.
Don't kill snakes, relocate them to an uninhabited remote area if you are worried about them. It's easy to do, just scoop them into a trash can or a cooler and take them for a little ride.

chuckie - 3-23-2016 at 01:00 PM

Good idea!

toronja - 3-23-2016 at 01:01 PM

Mono, relocating wildlife is not necessarily a better solution than killing them. Placing snakes into a new area without appropriate den sites or resources can mean that they slowly die of exposure, starvation, or other causes, which may be crueler in the end.

Managing your property to discourage snakes from taking up residence in the first place is the best solution. (obviously this may not apply to ranch/large acreage owners)

Also, encouraging people to handle venomous snakes without experience/training/when they're not comfortable with it is maybe not the best idea.

monoloco - 3-23-2016 at 01:07 PM

So, I have to admit that I got my back up a bit when you posted about running over every snake you see. When I was researching for my trip to Baja I was interested in seeing a rattlesnake so came across a video of a guy chopping the head off a six or seven foot diamondback rattlesnake then proudly showing the severed head to the camera. Not too cool as far as I was concerned. Anyway, you got called stupid and in return I got called a knucklehead, probably not something either one of us needs.

From the few replies it looks like it is best to scare off or kill any rattlers near your home or camp and leave them alone (maybe even drive around them on the road) when in wild areas. And it seems reasonable and necessary to control them on the ranch. I grew up on cattle ranches in SE British Columbia and it was a constant battle to keep the gopher numbers down . Unfortunately their burrows left mounds in the hayfields and damaged the equipment at harvest time. I have shot hundreds or maybe thousands of gophers when I was kid, something I didn't think much about at the time. Many if not most country folk where I grew up also killed badgers, skunks and porcupine on sight. There were plenty of badgers around in the seventies and eighties but now they are critically endangered in BC.

I did a bit of research and found out that between one thousand and eight thousand people are bitten by rattlesnakes each year in the US which is really quite a lot. Between five and fifteen of these people die, which is about one tenth to three tenths of one percent of those bitten. Lightning kills at least three times as many people in the US though.

In BC where I live two or three people are bitten every year by rattlesnakes, which are found in one small area of the province.. They are also much less venomous than the southern US snakes(not sure how venomous the Baja rattler is). Here the rattlers are not endangered but are on the provincial blue list because of habitat loss and many people killing them on site. In the area where there are rattlers there is also the large(diamondback size) non venomous gopher snake. It is basically harmless to people but they are also on the blue list because of habitat loss and people mistaking them for rattlers and killing them.

It was also interesting to find out that most or all of the rattlesnakes in the southern US and Mexico are not threatened even though so many are killed by people.

[Edited on 3-22-2016 by seasider]
I have known several people who were bitten by rattle snakes, all but one of them were bitten because they were trying to handle them or show off. They are an important part of the desert ecosystem and there is no need to kill them, diamond backs are not overly aggressive and can easily be relocated. I lived for 15 years on a ranch in BCS where we had rattle snake encounters quite often, I have relocated hundreds of them, also had dogs and cattle that seemed to somehow learn not to mess with them, because none of them ever got bit.

monoloco - 3-23-2016 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Mono, relocating wildlife is not necessarily a better solution than killing them. Placing snakes into a new area without appropriate den sites or resources can mean that they slowly die of exposure, starvation, or other causes, which may be crueler in the end.

Managing your property to discourage snakes from taking up residence in the first place is the best solution. (obviously this may not apply to ranch/large acreage owners)

Also, encouraging people to handle venomous snakes without experience/training/when they're not comfortable with it is maybe not the best idea.
It is very easy and safe to lay down a plastic trash can and move the snake into it with a stick or a shovel. It's complete BS that they are somehow better off dead than relocated to another area.

toronja - 3-23-2016 at 01:22 PM

I didn't say they were always "better off dead", but plenty of research shows that relocation is not the easy, happy solution people think it is (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140212164317.h... for one example). Relocating them to another part of your property within their home range would probably not harm them, but I don't think many people are willing to keep them around.

bezzell - 3-23-2016 at 02:06 PM

were all 22 full-on losers?
wow

"ohhhh no, the nasty snake is out to get me" (or tell me to bite the nasty apple :lol::lol:)
pathetic

bajatrailrider - 3-23-2016 at 02:38 PM

Another Green brainless looser. Question BeZZELESS, what you gonna do about it. The other poster mono,Its very easy to lay down plastic trash can move the snake.Be real hard when hiking or biking.Anytime kids are there,at night Mojave green is a threat. It will be history . You don't like it, that is just too bad. One kid,dog or cat bit by rattler is one too many. Its easy for you Arm chair talkers. On your reports from All over but Baja ,Mexico.

chuckie - 3-23-2016 at 03:02 PM

Ratllesnakes aint much different, no matter where they are..The ones we had in Loma Azul (mulege) would bite just like the ones in Texas, Arizona, Kansas, anywhere...Why do you think they are diiferent? Just because they are in Baja? Ours here in Kansas even speak Spanish, cuz I hear the Mexican cowboys talking to them..."Chinga Tu Madre" (pistol shot)

bajabuddha - 3-23-2016 at 03:11 PM

BTR, ENOUGH with the name-calling already. I'm mostly on your side with the snake theory, but your belligerence outshines your intellect (or lack thereof). If you're gonna call someone a 'loser', at least lern how to spel it furst. When you use the term 'Green' derogatorily you're insulting half the people on this board. Stay as Brown as you want to, Big Bad Biker Boy. Just work on your middle-school essay skills, willya?

rts551 - 3-23-2016 at 03:13 PM

Another Green brainless looser. Question BeZZELESS, what you gonna do about it. The other poster mono,Its very easy to lay down plastic trash can move the snake.Be real hard when hiking or biking.Anytime kids are there,at night Mojave green is a threat. It will be history . You don't like it, that is just too bad. One kid,dog or cat bit by rattler is one too many. Its easy for you Arm chair talkers. On your reports from All over but Baja ,Mexico.

You keep making these accusations that no one else lives in Baja. In reality many have lived there for a long time. They just have another opinion.

4 months out of the year I am in Arizona which has a lot of rattlesnakes, including the Mojave green. It is generally recommended to leave the snake alone. They do not like people or large animals and will leave; keep your yard free of pests/rodents and do not provide them with living quarters. If there is a problem snake that insists on staying around, relocate it to an unpopulated area.

for educational value I have included the following information.
http://ifnaturecouldtalk.com/more-on-relocating-rattlesnakes...

And its not necessary to challenge everyone to a fight who disagrees. Sometimes you might learn something.

chuckie - 3-23-2016 at 03:17 PM

Snake heaven has a very low population...(just sayin)

[Edited on 3-23-2016 by chuckie]

DianaT - 3-23-2016 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
BTR, ENOUGH with the name-calling already. I'm mostly on your side with the snake theory, but your belligerence outshines your intellect (or lack thereof). If you're gonna call someone a 'loser', at least lern how to spel it furst. When you use the term 'Green' derogatorily you're insulting half the people on this board. Stay as Brown as you want to, Big Bad Biker Boy. Just work on your middle-school essay skills, willya?

Thank you for this!
This is a subject that could be discussed and debated with a lot of difference in opinion, but the name calling is ridiculous.

Because someone disagrees with Bajatrailrider does not make them a loser.

Wiles - 3-23-2016 at 03:35 PM

Where is Skeeter when we need him? :P

dtbushpilot - 3-23-2016 at 03:37 PM

How rich is this, some of the biggest insulters and name callers on Nomads calling for someone to quit calling names while insulting him in the process.....you just can't make this stuff up...

bajabuddha - 3-23-2016 at 03:46 PM

How rich is this, some of the biggest insulters and name callers on Nomads calling for someone to quit calling names while insulting him in the process.....you just can't make this stuff up...

......And you don't?? :lol:

chuckie - 3-23-2016 at 03:52 PM

Buncha loosers...

bajabuddha - 3-23-2016 at 04:07 PM

Getting back to snakes, I once tried to 'save' a sidewinder from the middle of the highway... all I had in my car was my windshield shade screen, so I stopped, put on my flashers, and tried to shoo the little critter off the pavement into the scrub; he was at first coiled at my approach, and at my second or third wave to get him to flee, the sumb-tch came right at me down the pavement, mouth wide open, full throttle! I didn't know this fluffy boy could run so fast; "Feets, don't fail me now" I screamed. My better half was in the passenger's seat laughing her azz off at me as I jumped back in the car. "You can really move when you want to!", she said, knowingly. I rolled down my window, flipped it the bird as I drove around it, figgered it had EARNED the right to survive... and parted with the famous line from Blazing Saddles, "Sherriff, y'er on yer own........"

As I drove away I noticed a pick-up had pulled in behind me, their faces wide-eyed pressed against the windshield. Dunno if he was as fortunate with them......

willardguy - 3-23-2016 at 04:16 PM

well I've made it pretty clear that im deathly afraid of these slithering critters, and this didn't help. a GoPro falling into a rattlesnake den!:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtZJKydB-E

DianaT - 3-23-2016 at 04:23 PM

......And you don't?? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajatrailrider - 3-23-2016 at 07:35 PM

Name calling is called for.One calls the 22 around campfire losers. 15 where young children.One that lives in S.D says take a stick make it go away.The worst thing you can do,Snake goes up stick. Another says take a trash can to remove snake. As far as who is green,who is brown. Could care less common sense takes over. That is one thing you lack. So from my post,just to warn people. We get all info, from people Thousands of miles away. We also get,the die hard off road haters. That are only in it,to tell people how to live. Where they think you should go. Since the people posting this,are not Mexican/not lawyers. Only own there small plot of land. You have no business,when someone only asks. For a map route, telling them there trespassers. When in fact,you dont own the land. Then the ones that think we kill every snake we see. So its just like I said.Not one bite from a rattler,is wroth a kid getting bit. Like it don't like it. That is the way it is.

wessongroup - 3-23-2016 at 07:45 PM

Hear ya on sharks .. :):)

monoloco - 3-23-2016 at 09:53 PM

I'm no "arm chair talker" there Hoss, I've lived in Baja Sur for over 25 years and have encountered more rattlesnakes than you'll ever know. There's a lot of things out there that will kill you, but your odds of being killed by a rattler are way down on that list, if there's one around the house I will relocate it, if I encounter one in the monte, I'll leave it alone. Using your logic, we should kill every grizzly bear, shark, and mountain lion. You're the only "armchair talker" around here, pal, if you wet your pants every time you see a snake, you should stay home in your lazy boy and out of the scary wilderness.

bajatrailrider - 3-24-2016 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I'm no "arm chair talker" there Hoss, I've lived in Baja Sur for over 25 years and have encountered more rattlesnakes than you'll ever know. There's a lot of things out there that will kill you, but your odds of being killed by a rattler are way down on that list, if there's one around the house I will relocate it, if I encounter one in the monte, I'll leave it alone. Using your logic, we should kill every grizzly bear, shark, and mountain lion. You're the only "armchair talker" around here, pal, if you wet your pants every time you see a snake, you should stay home in your lazy boy and out of the scary wilderness.
HAAA nice post,but your still just a talker.Your worthless post,will it change anything.No not ever,who said. We should kill everything,so arm chair poster.You want to get in contest how long you or me.Been in Baja, you take a back seat. I don't need to explain,your a waist of time. Take it leave it,who cares:bounce:

chuckie - 3-24-2016 at 08:35 AM

NOW! This is the NOMADS we know and love!....!!!!!

toronja - 3-24-2016 at 09:17 AM

seasider, you wouldn't have much liked my preBaja home-away-from-home. We had daily toothy visitors. At least when they're in three feet of water you can see 'em coming.

nomads-shark1.jpg - 117kB

bajatrailrider - 3-24-2016 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
HAAA nice post,but your still just a talker.Your worthless post,will it change anything.No not ever,who said. We should kill everything,so arm chair poster.You want to get in contest how long you or me.Been in Baja, you take a back seat. I don't need to explain,your a waist of time. Take it leave it,who cares:bounce:

You are pretty full of yourself, eh?

But your logic and argument is as as flawed as your writing.

P.s. I am astounded at your crappy writing, and suspect it is an act. Do you have an app that mangles the syntax and inserts the preposterous spacing and punctuation?

[Edited on 3-24-2016 by mtgoat666]
Poor baby's as long as I got your blood pressure up. I'm happy to help, you on your lazy boy eh.:lol:

chuckie - 3-24-2016 at 04:45 PM

eh?

bajabuddha - 3-24-2016 at 04:53 PM

seasider, you wouldn't have much liked my preBaja home-away-from-home. We had daily toothy visitors. At least when they're in three feet of water you can see 'em coming.

Great pic and place! Was that a Tiger shark and what brought so many of them to the area and so close to shore? I have visions of getting off the plane, into the rental car, heading for this beach, running past the no swimming sign(without seeing it) and straight into the jaws of one of these critters.

Nahhh, it wuz a Land-shark from Saturday Night Live. :biggrin:

rts551 - 3-24-2016 at 05:30 PM

Great pic and place! Was that a Tiger shark and what brought so many of them to the area and so close to shore? I have visions of getting off the plane, into the rental car, heading for this beach, running past the no swimming sign(without seeing it) and straight into the jaws of one of these critters.

Guess you need to borrow the 12 gauge. :lol::lol: Happy swimming!
On edit: corrected spelling by Bajaguy!

[Edited on 3-25-2016 by rts551]

bajaguy - 3-24-2016 at 06:04 PM

Think you mean gauge.....carry on :P

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Guess you need to borrow the 12 guage. :lol::lol: Happy swimming!

rts551 - 3-24-2016 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Bin takin.too mani.lesons from Nomads. yes.gauge.Thanks.

chuckie - 3-24-2016 at 06:55 PM

12 bore...

bajabuddha - 3-24-2016 at 07:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Thanks for the funny posts you three guys. What kind of shark do you suppose that is that Toronja posted? Or is it some kind of fake pic?

Actually looked like a baby whale shark to me with the rounded hump behind the dorsal fin..... but I may be mistaken. I was once.... thought I wuz wrong... :bounce:

Still say it is a Land Shark. Looks just like Jane Curtin.

[Edited on 3-25-2016 by bajabuddha]

chuckie - 3-24-2016 at 07:33 PM

Loan shark...Dint pay his vig...

willardguy - 3-24-2016 at 07:52 PM

candy gram!

wessongroup - 3-24-2016 at 08:55 PM

Here's another thing to watch out for ...

bajabuddha - 3-24-2016 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
candy gram!

Sorry Willy, that wuz Blazing Saddles.... "Candy-gram for Mongo!"

......"Mongo only pawn in chess game of life....."

Close, but no..... well, the cigar was in there too come to think of it.. :lol:

toronja - 3-25-2016 at 09:11 AM

You guys crack me up. "I'm only a dolphin, ma'am!"

Good guess, seasider, that is one of my tiger friends. I worked/camped in the NW Hawaiian chain out towards Midway a few years back. We just tried not to splash too much while bathing. The angle of his back/fin looked a little funny I think because he was in too shallow and working not to get stuck in the wash.

They tend to run in the 8 to 12-ft range out there, but we had a few bigger. They come in to eat the fledging albatross chicks - you either learn to fly quick or you don't last long.

nomads-shark2.jpg - 183kB

[Edited on 3-25-2016 by toronja]

willardguy - 3-25-2016 at 09:54 AM

You guys crack me up. "I'm only a dolphin, ma'am"

lol....now there's a man who knows his SNL!

toronja - 3-25-2016 at 10:13 AM

well, I know some SNL, but a man I am not! I don't run into too many other shark-loving lasses, though, so you get a pass on that one.

willardguy - 3-25-2016 at 10:17 AM

well, I know some SNL, but a man I am not! I don't run into too many other shark-loving lasses, though, so you get a pass on that one.

:D oops....gracias!

monoloco - 3-25-2016 at 02:01 PM

You guys crack me up. "I'm only a dolphin, ma'am!"

Good guess, seasider, that is one of my tiger friends. I worked/camped in the NW Hawaiian chain out towards Midway a few years back. We just tried not to splash too much while bathing. The angle of his back/fin looked a little funny I think because he was in too shallow and working not to get stuck in the wash.

They tend to run in the 8 to 12-ft range out there, but we had a few bigger. They come in to eat the fledging albatross chicks - you either learn to fly quick or you don't last long.

That should be killed before it can attack someone's child. Lol.

bajabuddha - 3-25-2016 at 04:43 PM

As a Veteran, I want to give thanks to this warning. We only had to deal with Bamboo Pit Vipers ("two-steppers") that make a Diamond Back look like a sharp-tooth puppy dawg, as well as Punji stakes, bouncing betty's, frags on trip-wires as well as 500 lb. bombs booby-trapped; AK 47's, Chi Com granades, 122mm rockets, RPGs, sappers, malaria, leeches, ambush ants and wait-a-minute vines, Elephant grass, 'skeeters, pizz-ants (the worst!) and house-flies. Did I mention Agent Orange and friendly fire? Not to mention buffalo-dung tasting water and powdered eggs when we were lucky. Oh, and a few thousand guys out to kill us, where the buzz-worm would rather just slither away...... I feel SO much safer now. Ahhhhh, memories, memories.......
:cool: bb

As a Vet and a friend of a Veterinarian

Howard - 3-25-2016 at 05:24 PM

That explains a lot of your anger!

Don't forget the monsoons that when hit with the rain it actually hurt and was painful due to the force of the downpour.

[Edited on 3-26-2016 by Howard]

[Edited on 3-26-2016 by Howard]

chippy - 3-25-2016 at 05:28 PM

As a Veteran, I want to give thanks to this warning. We only had to deal with Bamboo Pit Vipers ("two-steppers") that make a Diamond Back look like a sharp-tooth puppy dawg, as well as Punji stakes, bouncing betty's, frags on trip-wires as well as 500 lb. bombs booby-trapped; AK 47's, Chi Com granades, 122mm rockets, RPGs, sappers, malaria, leeches, ambush ants and wait-a-minute vines, Elephant grass, 'skeeters, pizz-ants (the worst!) and house-flies. Did I mention Agent Orange and friendly fire? Not to mention buffalo-dung tasting water and powdered eggs when we were lucky. Oh, and a few thousand guys out to kill us, where the buzz-worm would rather just slither away...... I feel SO much safer now. Ahhhhh, memories, memories.......

Thanks for your service BB.

chuckie - 3-25-2016 at 05:49 PM

Piece a cake......compared to my second wife...:biggrin:

SFandH - 3-25-2016 at 06:10 PM

Hopefully the Thai sticks helped out a bit.

This reminds me, time to watch The Deer Hunter again. Meryl!

[Edited on 3-26-2016 by SFandH]

bajabuddha - 3-25-2016 at 06:20 PM

........ did I miss anything???........

micah202 - 4-10-2016 at 11:13 AM

...seems like the rattlesnake warning goes further than Baja!....

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/rattlesnake-w...

[Edited on 4-10-2016 by micah202]