BajaNomad

Heading to 7 Sisters - Any good recent info?

woody with a view - 3-22-2016 at 06:52 PM

it's all there just the way you remember it. the road sucks but that's a large part of the charm, eh?

dtbushpilot - 3-22-2016 at 07:53 PM

Where?

BajaNomad - 3-22-2016 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Where?

Exactly! LOL :lol:

:light: :light: :light:

BajaNomad - 3-22-2016 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
that's a large part of the charm, eh?

Um, well, yeah. :light:

:smug: :spingrin: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :cool:

:lol:

Santiago - 3-23-2016 at 05:31 AM

BN: I gotta admit, I was chuckling as well when I saw the thread title. Waiting for maps......

chippy - 3-23-2016 at 07:10 AM

sssshhhhhh. No talking about the most well known secret spots on the planet.

motoged - 3-23-2016 at 11:25 AM

I have yet to explore that coastline....would love to moto it from Catavina to Santa Rosalililililtatiata.

Anyone have a kilometer by kilometer route description with photos of each turn?

Promise I won't share it with anyone.....

willardguy - 3-23-2016 at 01:05 PM

where the gremmies and the hodads never go.....

mtgoat666 - 3-23-2016 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I have yet to explore that coastline....would love to moto it from Catavina to Santa Rosalililililtatiata.

Anyone have a kilometer by kilometer route description with photos of each turn?

Promise I won't share it with anyone.....

Google earth!
Ssssssshhhh! Its a secret google product no one knows about!

motoged - 3-23-2016 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Google earth!
Ssssssshhhh! Its a secret google product no one knows about!

GE....my favourite airline/spy satellite...:cool:

Ateo - 3-23-2016 at 02:13 PM

I can give you a road report if you U2U me. Been in and out 3 different roads in last 3 months.

BajaNaranja - 3-23-2016 at 04:43 PM

When I try to explain why (respectful, reasonable) surfers try to keep from blowing up spots, I always ask - have you ever been fly fishing?

There's a zen and peace that comes with fly fishing which doesn't involve large numbers of people being packed into a small area.

Imagine that you are serenely working a perfect little pond that you stumbled upon by yourself when others arrive up at full speed, snapping selfies and rocking Fall Out Boy.

Your fishing moment is immediately ruined, better pack up your gear and head on home, maybe the next time your fishing hole won't be over-run.

But soon you become aware that these donkeys are posting glowing reviews, pics and maps of this fishing hole to other Fall Out Boy fans.

If you simply commit to heading south in a prepared manner, you show a little respect and don't trash the place, you take turns in the water and smile and be nice, people down there will share info. So you don't need maps and GPS coordinates to get the goods, and you certainly don't need to post stuff on the web to show how hard you scored.

TLBaja79: I don't mean to suggest that you listen to Fall Out Boy.
Ateo: That's very kind & generous of you.

David K - 3-23-2016 at 06:10 PM

You guys shamed TLBaja79 so badly, he deleted the opening post, so now it looks like Woody is asking the question! LOL

Everyone that would be a threat to your wave ownership knows about the Seven Sisters... you could give directions all day long and that would not increase the surfers there on any one of the 365 days out of the year.

It is in Mexico, a big filter to most. Other filters are:
It requires the correct vehicle and 4WD is advised.
It requires some mental comfort with backcountry driving ability.
It requires camping.

It is good roads that bring in more people, not maps or photos. Friendly are the off road vehicle equipped Baja Nomads. Remember, you once went there a FIRST time...!

BooJumMan - 3-23-2016 at 06:14 PM

^^^ Fully agreed (to BajaNaranja). They remained fairly secret for many years really.

What sucks now is that guys are really running in "crews" now... so rather than 1-2 guys showing up, you've got 10 dudes all aggro. I'm over going down there anyways now. Waves are so ficklee.

[Edited on 3-24-2016 by BooJumMan]

woody with a view - 3-23-2016 at 07:56 PM

I thought I had a perfectly pleasant answer.

mtgoat666 - 3-23-2016 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  
When I try to explain why (respectful, reasonable) surfers try to keep from blowing up spots, I always ask - have you ever been fly fishing?

There's a zen and peace that comes with fly fishing which doesn't involve large numbers of people being packed into a small area.

Imagine that you are serenely working a perfect little pond that you stumbled upon by yourself when others arrive up at full speed, snapping selfies and rocking Fall Out Boy.

Your fishing moment is immediately ruined, better pack up your gear and head on home, maybe the next time your fishing hole won't be over-run.

But soon you become aware that these donkeys are posting glowing reviews, pics and maps of this fishing hole to other Fall Out Boy fans.

If you simply commit to heading south in a prepared manner, you show a little respect and don't trash the place, you take turns in the water and smile and be nice, people down there will share info. So you don't need maps and GPS coordinates to get the goods, and you certainly don't need to post stuff on the web to show how hard you scored.

Zen and peace of wilderness. That's why I hate motor bikes, quads, snow machines and the other loud obnoxious motorized vehicles of fat flock heads that should stay home or lose 100 lbs and buy a mountain bike (as in bicycle).

mtgoat666 - 3-23-2016 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  

What sucks now is that guys are really running in "crews" now... so rather than 1-2 guys showing up, you've got 10 dudes all aggro. I'm over going down there anyways now. Waves are so ficklee.

Girls and girly men travel in flocks.

chippy - 3-23-2016 at 08:24 PM

Baja was pretty cool.

David K - 3-23-2016 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Baja was pretty cool.

Pretty cool in '52...

Mexitron - 3-24-2016 at 07:28 AM

Man did those guys get Baja at a great time!

MMc - 3-24-2016 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  

Yep. Also Ateo is doing it right, keeping it personal. DK I hope you never watch a place you love get paved or have a bar go in. It is never the same.

motoged - 3-24-2016 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Yep. Also Ateo is doing it right, keeping it personal. DK I hope you never watch a place you love get paved or have a bar go in. It is never the same.

Unlikely....Shell Island just doesn't have the "draw".

woody with a view - 3-24-2016 at 12:25 PM

like most of the rest of Baja, the people that find their way "out there" a typically good people. like the other parts of Baja, when hordes (more than 10) descend on a patch of dirt egos and bad behavior begin to pop up. one place in particular along the secret coast has turned into what is now called the Surf Ghetto. 50 people a day during the busy weeks is too much! guess what? we don't go there anymore. we leave it to the people who ask for directions to camp spots.

have a good time and leave it better than you found it (unless you're at the Surf Ghetto) for the next travelers.

[Edited on 3-24-2016 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 11-3-2016 by woody with a view]

David K - 3-24-2016 at 12:52 PM

I am anti-paving as much as you MMc, how is this hard to understand? My point is that good roads are your (and my) enemy to maintaining isolation. Photos and maps are nothing to fear. If that was, Shell Island would be packed, lol!

KurtG - 3-24-2016 at 05:16 PM

[rquote=1.[/rquote]

Zen and peace of wilderness. That's why I hate motor bikes, quads, snow machines and the other loud obnoxious motorized vehicles of fat flock heads that should stay home or lose 100 lbs and buy a mountain bike (as in bicycle).[/rquote]

Goat,
Couldn't agree more about noise, my motos are quiet and I'm not one of the bicycle haters. I admire anyone who takes a mountain bike into the back country. But lets say you want to take the back roads a bit away from civilization like in the middle of the peninsula. How do you get your bicycle there? Ride it from San Diego? If you're using any vehicle with an internal combustion engine to get to where you're riding then you are using more resources than I do when I ride my very fuel efficient moto the 1000 miles from home to Mulege. I don't know if I qualify as a "Fat flock head" or not since I have only lost 80 lbs not 100.

A few years back one of my favorite writers, Al Martinez of the LA Time, wrote a column where he pointed out that "self-righteousness is always misplaced." An attitude that I think should be taken to heart.

David K - 3-24-2016 at 05:20 PM

How have you been Kurt?
Look at how time flies... almost 6 years now since our epic journey to Mission Santa Marķa! Hope you are still drinking OJ every day! :light::biggrin::cool:

KurtG - 3-24-2016 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
How have you been Kurt?
Look at how time flies... almost 6 years now since our epic journey to Mission Santa Marķa! Hope you are still drinking OJ every day! :light::biggrin::cool:

Life is good, I'm a couple of years into my 70's and still doing pretty well. Since my partner Kathy retired last year we are doing a lot of camping and after my next Baja trip in 2-3 weeks we will be getting ready to head for Southern Utah and 4 Corners region again for about a month. Trying to keep doing all this stuff while I still can!