BajaNomad

Crossing into US in vehicle registered to someone else

mojo_norte - 3-24-2016 at 09:18 AM

Any issues crossing into the US (Tecate) in a vehicle registered to a friend ? Car has current US tags and registration. I have a US drivers license and passport.

AKgringo - 3-24-2016 at 10:19 AM

I was questioned at the US entry at Tecate three years ago because I presented an Alaska drivers licence, but was driving a California plated car. It was registered to me at a CA residence, so no problem, but if I was driving someone else's car I would want to have a notarized permission statement!

sancho - 3-24-2016 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
but if I was driving someone else's car I would want to have a notarized permission statement!

That is historically what has been advised. Notarized letter. But never could figure out a non English speaking Mex Authority reading English though. Seems that ?, as
with many others, never has a solid answer. Have read
in the past, Mex Cops have been known to want the
reg owner in the vehicle, not saying that is the case though.
I don't believe it would affect Mex Auto Ins, but my Mex
policy has me and wife listed as drivers.
edit: I should read a little more careful, into the US. But what I
mentioned is still valid, lets just say it is while driving in Mex

[Edited on 3-24-2016 by sancho]

AKgringo - 3-24-2016 at 11:26 AM

The OP was asking about the US border agents.

nandopedal - 3-24-2016 at 01:08 PM

Doable just be prepared to perhaps spend an hour or so at secondary and make sure the record of the DMV on the vehicle is clean otherwise........it can turn into a long visit with the guys in blue.

Maron - 3-24-2016 at 01:27 PM

Many trips back into USA, have never been asked about the ownership of the car or if I am the registered owner.

Bob and Susan - 3-24-2016 at 02:14 PM

i'm asked all the time who the other name on the registration is...it's my sister...i'm on the title...they already know

I've driven a Canadian plated truck across...I was asked why...I was repairing parts...then returning...no sweat
the truck was insured and ihad a permission letter...NOT NOTARIZED just in case...and a phone number of the owner if someone wanted to call him

as long as you are legal and insured you are good to go

J.P. - 3-24-2016 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
Many trips back into USA, have never been asked about the ownership of the car or if I am the registered owner.

When you drive up to the booth they already know who owns the Vehic

Maron - 3-24-2016 at 06:16 PM

For four years, we drove my wife's company car, registered to the company. Never asked for letter, ownership, etc. Might help to be old.

AKgringo - 3-24-2016 at 07:04 PM

On the spring 2013 crossing at Tecate that I mentioned, I should add that it was a pretty slow day for the agents. My total border crossing time, even with a lot of extra questions, was about ten minutes!

Even with all that extra attention, he never asked for paperwork for the dog sitting next to me.