BajaNomad

Baja Truggy Driver does time for filming of this vid

Ken Cooke - 3-28-2016 at 10:42 AM

Were the 1.5 million views worth it? Many at Race Dezert say, "No!" You be the judge...:!:

...the reaction

Howard - 3-28-2016 at 10:52 AM

IF the video is real he should be put away for a really long, long time! A menace to society and menaces belong away from the public.

Minimum 5 years!

Just my dos centavos.

BigBearRider - 3-28-2016 at 10:57 AM

"clown" is the word that comes to mind.

Edit: For the record, the word "clown" was preceded by the word "a $ $" in the original post.

[Edited on 3-28-2016 by BigBearRider]

motoged - 3-28-2016 at 11:48 AM

Don't confuse "big balls" with "No Brains"

chuckie - 3-28-2016 at 12:39 PM

Poster child for the Beer swilling knuckle draggers...

BornFisher - 3-28-2016 at 01:58 PM

That boy`s in a heap of trouble!!!

StuckSucks - 3-28-2016 at 03:00 PM

Man raced dune buggy around San Diego in viral video. Now, he faces jail time

March 16

A man who tore up the streets of San Diego in a souped-up, off-road Volkswagen in a viral video seen by more than a million people pleaded guilty to several charges Monday, including reckless driving.

Blake Wilkey, 27, who was originally charged with 26 counts, pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, one count of exhibition speed and one count of failing to obtain a special event permit.

He was sentenced to 45 days in jail and placed on three years probation.

Wilkey was the smiling driver in the video called “Urban Assault: San Diego Shark Attack,” which was posted on YouTube in January and has since racked up 1,197,713 views.

In the 4˝-minute video, Wilkey is seen speeding through various San Diego neighborhoods including downtown and Ocean Beach, driving up embankments and over curbs, onto public and private property alike as the Baja bug kicks up dirt in an engine-revving, tire-squealing display.

Wilkey seemed to be having a pretty good time. But whatever euphoria he might have had seemed to evaporate after he found out he was under investigation by San Diego police.

In a Facebook post on Feb. 1 he said:

“I guess having to much fun on the streets of San Diego can cost you a lot more than you would think after its all said and done. It's not expected its appreciated so don't get it twisted! I hope you all enjoyed the video and use me as example of what not to do.”

Wilkey posted even more somberly last week:

"Monday morning at 8 am downtown I will be facing a judge on 26 misdemeanor accounts for the urban assault video. This was not taken lightly by the prosecutor and I hope it won't be to heavy of a burden on me after its all said and done. If you would like to come show some support and see how it all unfolds let me know! Strength in numbers."

55steve - 3-28-2016 at 03:45 PM

Excellent driving IMO - I wish many more people on the road had Blakes skill.

durrelllrobert - 3-28-2016 at 03:51 PM

In 1957 I was sentenced to 3 days in jail by a judge in San Diego for having loud exhaust pipes. Told me that i was a hot rodder and that he hated hot rodders.

DirkEXC - 3-28-2016 at 04:12 PM

Mr.Wilkey must have been watching to many BJ Baldwin videos, the only thing he was missing was the helicopter, girls, and permit to make his video.

BJ is one knuckle dragger I would like to hang with for a day.

I never get tired of his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMyZ929lpY&feature=play...

[Edited on 3-28-2016 by DirkEXC]

bajaguy - 3-28-2016 at 04:16 PM

Maybe he will end up like Paul Walker

ehall - 3-29-2016 at 04:47 AM

3 days in jail. House arrest for the rest. Probably a big fine. I like his bug.

Gulliver - 3-30-2016 at 06:13 PM

These types end up hitting someone and then complaining about slow people in a crosswalk.

There was a guy in my home town of Olympia, WA who went pretty much nuts in this way. He crashed. Between when the cops hauled him off and when the wrecker got there his vehicle somehow caught fire and no one called the fire department.

We all pitched in to clean up the mess. So sad. Never saw a group with brooms and such wide smiles.

The official investigation decided that it was a fire of electrical origin.

woody with a view - 3-30-2016 at 07:58 PM

What's a truggy?

Paulclark - 3-30-2016 at 08:22 PM

It is not a Truggy, which is a front or mid engine car with a differential. This is a rear engine car with a trans-axle
. Engine was probably a V8 with a blower----not a VW....

willardguy - 3-30-2016 at 08:47 PM

gotta applaud this kids spirit! :P
if you would rather not, well that's fine too...

freediverbrian - 3-30-2016 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

What a horrible thing to think or say .

Whale-ista - 3-31-2016 at 01:29 AM

My first car was a Baja bug. I remember the thrill of being a young driver and operating one of those around town. There was a lot more open space in San Diego then, and many fewer residents.

That said: how could the driver and his friends possibly think this was OK in 2016?

The physical damage was costly- someone paid for installing that landscaping. Were they going to pay for the repairs?

The noise and disruption during the "production" was disrespectful to residents in their homes, and reckless.

His driving was dangerous, especially with other vehicles and pedestrians around.

Seriously: you want to show off your vehicle, and drive like they do in the "Fast/Furious" movies? Then head out to the desert, or rent an empty piece of private land, and knock yourself out- just do it away from homes, pedestrians, other people's cars, property etc.

He received an appropriate sentence. He should also pay restitution for damages, and be glad he didn't injure or kill himself or someone else.

(PS- aside from involving a Baja bug, how is this related to Baja?)

motoged - 3-31-2016 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

What a horrible thing to think or say .

Why is that horrible? Folks who take such risks just up the ante for harm to come their way....and possibly harm to others.

It didn't sound like a wish re: Walker......just a mild prediction of possibility... not malicious.

Gulliver - 3-31-2016 at 10:15 AM

No you don't 'gotta applaud his spirit'. He is and probably will continue to be a moral pygmy.

willardguy - 3-31-2016 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
No you don't 'gotta applaud his spirit'. He is and probably will continue to be a moral pygmy.

"if you would rather not, well that's fine too"

which part of this don't you understand? :rolleyes:

StuckSucks - 3-31-2016 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
What's a truggy?

As far as word etymology, it's from truck + buggy - sort of an open-wheel truck thing. In the racing world, probably the best example is the Land Shark Truggy driven by the Herbsts.

KurtG - 3-31-2016 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  

"moral pygmy." Great description!

David K - 3-31-2016 at 08:24 PM

Thanks Stuck for showing what a Truggy is. Another way to describe one is a Trophy Truck like racer with a rear engine, like a dune buggy has... truck + buggy = truggy.