BajaNomad

Mission Impossible Trail in June 2016 issue of JP Magazine

Ken Cooke - 3-28-2016 at 08:29 PM

I couldn't believe seeing the miniature blue fan palm in the background!

4x4abc - 3-28-2016 at 08:36 PM

what are you smoking?

Ken Cooke - 3-28-2016 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what are you smoking?

Real good stuff.lol

David K - 3-28-2016 at 09:46 PM

I see elephant trees... ?
I guess I will try and find that issue.
Thanks!

Ken Cooke - 3-29-2016 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I see elephant trees... ?
I guess I will try and find that issue.
Thanks!

Passenger side fender - kinda blurry.

Ken Cooke - 1-28-2018 at 01:29 PM

There has been some inquiries about running this challenging 4wd trail from Hwy1 to Hwy5. It has been done! Rich T has the photographs to prove it. Only for battle-tested Jeeps with 35" tires or better.

David K - 1-28-2018 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
There has been some inquiries about running this challenging 4wd trail from Hwy1 to Hwy5. It has been done! Rich T has the photographs to prove it. Only for battle-tested Jeeps with 35" tires or better.

Is this La Turquesa Canyon? Squarecicle did that.
Details please.
Santa Maria Canyon trail or El Camino Real is typically foot or hoof only, with a rare m/c and side by sides on ECR.

Ken Cooke - 1-28-2018 at 02:29 PM

The above photo is Widowmaker hill. There has been some talk on Talk Baja about taking Mission Impossible from the Palm Oasis downhill to Hwy 5. Rich T. made it down in his little CJ-5 pulling his travel trailer. He posted photos, too!

David K - 1-28-2018 at 03:57 PM

There is no path in the canyon for any vehicle. It may have been a palm area closer to Hwy. 5. So, which palm oasis is critical to discussion of any crossover 4x4 route. It just isn't a physical possibility via Mission Santa Maria to Hwy. 5. Bulldozer and dynamite abandoned that route in the 1970s at the edge of the 1,000' cliff down to the oasis.
If some other route other than or including La Turquesa was made, I am all ears!

4x4abc - 1-28-2018 at 04:06 PM

show us the pictures, Ken - otherwise it did not happen

AKgringo - 1-28-2018 at 04:57 PM

Well the photo was there a couple of hours ago.....but it got photo-bucketed!

David K - 1-28-2018 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Well the photo was there a couple of hours ago.....but it got photo-bucketed!

Hi AK, the opening photo is there... we have found a cure for the Photobucket issues if you use Chrome or Firefox.
See the post from Jaybo: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88714

Happy Sunday to you!

The photo is on the Widowmaker which is between the mission and Hwy. 1, not the other side of the mission toward Hwy. 5. That road is passable only for 2 miles or less, depending on your vehicle and skill.

del mar - 1-28-2018 at 05:27 PM

im a little lost....has anyone here driven santa maria down to highway 5?

4x4abc - 1-28-2018 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

that's what Ken claims

del mar - 1-28-2018 at 05:55 PM

that's what Ken claims

Harald have you bird dogged it?

David K - 1-28-2018 at 07:02 PM

He has hiked it, I hiked 2/3 of it and flew over it by plane... and often on Google Earth. It is a big, boulder-filled canyon. The Camino Real trail is along the north ridge and the upper sides of the canyon.

bajatrailrider - 1-28-2018 at 07:23 PM

I cant see it anywhere more detail where it is please

4x4abc - 1-28-2018 at 07:26 PM

sat images from all providers are not very good

the trail has a pretty forgiving elevation profile - no steep drops or climbs
most of the way there is enough room to drive a 4x4 (if you do some tree clipping and boulder rolling)
but there are several narrow spots just wide enough for a cow

I have played with the idea of getting a 4x4 through - much like Arturo Gross wanted to drive a dozer through
however, I decided it to be a bad idea to trample a virgin section of the Camino Real

There have been government plans to connect Catavina with Gonzaga Bay in the past through the same corridor. Good that they followed the dirt highway to Laguna Chapala.

We need to keep Baja as wild as we can.
Bad enough that they now bus hiking groups to the Santa Maria Oasis Pool.

[Edited on 1-29-2018 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 1-28-2018 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I cant see it anywhere more detail where it is please

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157080335287281&am...

4x4abc - 1-28-2018 at 08:57 PM

great video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EL-eg5C4Uk

Ken Cooke - 1-28-2018 at 09:06 PM

I decided to pay $15/month to Photobucket. :(. Waiting until payday to have all of these photos restored to my BAN threads.

ehall - 1-29-2018 at 04:49 AM

Rumor has it that a couple guys on dirt bikes made it. I think I remember ropes being used to lower the bikes at some places.

[Edited on 1-29-2018 by ehall]

4x4abc - 1-29-2018 at 05:51 AM

here is your rumor:

ehall - 1-29-2018 at 06:58 AM

Thanks for the link. The rumor is true. Doesn't look like much fun. Not much chance of that becoming a popular trail.

bajatrailrider - 1-29-2018 at 08:37 AM

Ed did you notice the bark busters on the red bike. The worthless ones that when you fall you bust off the cultch and brake lever. That means the brave riders are pros never fell down. Or many spare levers great video thank you Harold. Most of there route no trail just boon docking brave great skilled riders. Also cultch slip masters. Well Done.

advrider - 1-29-2018 at 09:08 AM

No thanks, that doesn't even look like fun and I have a Rekluse in my bike. That's some hard ridding!

ehall - 1-29-2018 at 09:30 AM

Both levers and handguards were still intact at the end of the video. I would of worn out the battery trying to start after lots of stalls. Good riders.
Look at 1;35 is that writing on the rock off to the right?

TMW - 1-29-2018 at 10:12 AM

Justin Morgan is an excellent rider and racer.

I don't think a 4 wheeler will be going that way for a very long time.

4x4abc - 1-29-2018 at 10:13 AM

the trail is very well defined - I have hiked it many times.
Was surprised to learn from these guys that they had a hard time finding the trail.
Well defined on Google Earth
Guess, hikers and bikers see the ground with different eyes.

TMW - 1-29-2018 at 10:21 AM

I think it is probably that you are much more experienced in following trails like that.

Thanks for the video.

4x4abc - 1-29-2018 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Look at 1;35 is that writing on the rock off to the right?

looks like bulldozer crape marks to me
the first part of the trail has been "improved" by Arturo Grosso
he had plans to extend the road he built from Rancho Santa Ines to Gonzaga Bay

willardguy - 1-29-2018 at 10:31 AM

I know...lets build the mission HERE! :light:

David K - 1-29-2018 at 10:41 AM

the trail is very well defined - I have hiked it many times.
Was surprised to learn from these guys that they had a hard time finding the trail.
Well defined on Google Earth
Guess, hikers and bikers see the ground with different eyes.

Yes, and there may be a parallel route. The Camino Real my son and I hiked up there was along a lot of the canyon edge and side slope. I didn't see much of that in the video. But, the video captures the essence of the trail... and not passable to much more than narrow passages will allow.

I have posted close up satellite images where you can see a lot of it. They were better on Bing than Google, when I was looking.

Ken, I have re-posted a free way to see Photobucket found by Jaybo. Also, I have reported how TW and I learned that the first level up on Photobucket allows image sharing, it was about $49/year... not a per month thing.

willardguy - 1-29-2018 at 11:57 AM

so where do we stand, no 4 wheel vehicle has ever made it from the mission to highway 5?

4x4abc - 1-29-2018 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
so where do we stand, no 4 wheel vehicle has ever made it from the mission to highway 5?

at least not following the known Camino Real route on the north side of Arroyo Santa Maria

David K - 1-29-2018 at 12:43 PM

Willardguy> Look at the video... ocotillos every few feet would need to be mowed down and boulders and mountainsides... It really looks too rough, even for a mule. Graham tried to walk it with Misión (his burro), in 1997, and turned back... returning all the way back to Santa Ynez and had to follow Highway One rather than the mission 'highway'. He wanted to follow El Camino Real, but it is way overgrown and eroded away after 249-318 years from when most of it was built.

El Camino Real, west of Gonzaga Bay, as seen from space

David K - 1-29-2018 at 12:58 PM

Now up close from Arroyo Santa Maria just east of the canyon entrance. Points 1-13. You can easily see the trail in the close-up images.
This route was opened by the Franciscans to replace the route in the canyon, used by the Jesuits. That route can be seen where it climbs up from the canyon bottom to the end of the road bulldozed by Fred Hampe of Rancho Santa Ynez, attempting to reach Punta Final from Santa Ynez...

The bulldozed road is at the bottom.

Close up, bulldozed road at bottom. There is a zig zag trail between the two, that isn't seen here.

Mission Santa María, about 2 miles up the arroyo from the bulldozed road and El Camino Real junction.

Jinete Viejo - 1-29-2018 at 07:27 PM

Odd that the video didn't show the mission ruins at the beginning for effect. Also disappointing the video didn't show them reaching Hwy 5. That had to be a pretty good celebration.
As David K mentioned, I didn't see anything that looked like the start of the trail just up the hill from the ruins. But you can tell from the video that there is a very old trail there. Are any GPS tracks available to verify the route? (not that I would ever, ever attempt to ride this).

TMW - 1-29-2018 at 09:35 PM

If you trace it on Google Earth and save it you can then convert it to a GPS track.

PaulW - 1-29-2018 at 10:23 PM

Maybe he does no know how?
Also a traced track on GE makes a goo image to post

Jinete Viejo - 1-29-2018 at 11:51 PM

I made a track of it a few years ago (traced it on Google Earth and converted it to GPX format with GPS Visualizer) and attempted to ride it. Shortly after the first hill climb after leaving the wash after the ruins one of my riding buddies dropped his bike and put a hole in the radiator. Being the elder statesman in the group (68), I had already decided it wasn't my kind of trail, and having seen the type of trail it was, was never tempted to ride it again. We have called it the "Radiator Springs Trail" ever since. I was wondering if the guys who rode it posted any tracks to verify that we are talking about the same trail.

4x4abc - 1-30-2018 at 12:54 AM

here is the last track I recorded hiking the trail:
http://baja101.com/Baja-GPS/CaminoRealSantaMaria.kmz

TMW - 1-30-2018 at 08:47 AM

Below pin 13 in David's picture is a road or wide trail. Is that the bull dozer road? If so why did they not follow the actual trail?

PaulW - 1-30-2018 at 08:59 AM

Harald,
thanks for that link.
Probably wont hike it, but I will save it just in case.
=======
here is the last track I recorded hiking the trail:
http://baja101.com/Baja-GPS/CaminoRealSantaMaria.kmz

4x4abc - 1-30-2018 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Below pin 13 in David's picture is a road or wide trail. Is that the bull dozer road? If so why did they not follow the actual trail?

that is a track Fred Hampe made - it connects to a well used indian trail
who knows what plans Fred had
it is reported that he wanted to continue to Gonzaga
the dozed track in Google Earth is severely washed out by now
I drove it in 1986 to the top - that is no longer possible

[Edited on 7-11-2020 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 1-30-2018 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Harald,
thanks for that link.
=======

it's an easy hike
the entrance on the Gonzaga side can only be found with the GPS track
mission side is easier to find

[Edited on 7-11-2020 by 4x4abc]

del mar - 1-30-2018 at 10:58 AM

im not sure what im looking at, the yellow line is the bulldozer road, the thin white line is the original trail? whats the thick white line that looks like a riverbed?

David K - 1-30-2018 at 11:57 AM

Harald, it was Fred Hampe, not Arturo Grosso responsible for the road east from Santa Ynez to the mission and 2 miles beyond.
Del Mar, the white line is El Camino Real; yellow line is Fred's bulldozed road, and the white sand is the arroyo.

David K - 1-30-2018 at 12:01 PM

Harald,
thanks for that link.
=======

it's an easy hike
the entrance on the Gonzaga side can only be found with the track
mission side is easier to find

I have photos of the trail where it leaves the white sand arroyo, and gps. I found it in 2002 and returned to hike to the mission in 2003. We ran low on daylight and turned back about 2/3 of the way to the mission.

del mar - 1-30-2018 at 12:06 PM

why can't you just walk or ride up the arroyo all the way to the mission?

David K - 1-30-2018 at 12:13 PM

Boulders, and the steep trail near the end of the canyon where the cliff or waterfall makes the trail necessary from the canyon to the end of the bulldozed road up on top.

4x4abc - 1-30-2018 at 01:06 PM

why can't you just walk or ride up the arroyo all the way to the mission?

following the missionary trail is an easy 3 hour hike to the mission from the Las Palmitas water hole
following the canyon it is a tough, boulder hopping, cliff climbing 6 hour adventure
if it is your first trip count on 7 to 8 exhausting hours
all numbers one way

the easy start:

and it gets rougher:

then it gets tight:

don't have pictures of where it get even wilder

[Edited on 1-30-2018 by 4x4abc]

[Edited on 1-31-2018 by BajaNomad]

David K - 1-30-2018 at 02:48 PM

Yes, that is the canyon route... Good photos Harald!!

The Franciscans had the new route made because the canyon was too dangerous for mule teams with cargo (or passengers). That new ECR route is Harald's white line on his satellite map (and my 13 waypoints on my images above).

I found it in November 2002. Here are my photos from my website www.vivabaja.com. I returned the following year to go further.

Here is where the Franciscan ECR begins in Arroyo Santa María (just east of the canyon entrance):

Here it is!!! N29°41.733' W114°28.175' (Map Datun: NAD27)

Three cattle trails cross Arroyo Santa Maria and converge at the only place where a climb out of the arroyo is possible. This was on my second day searching, and the reward was worth it!

This second climb takes you out of the Santa Maria river valley and into a higher side valley heading northwest. Ocotillos line the trail just ahead.

In case you had any doubts...

This sign says it all! It was laying along the El Camino Real about a half mile up from Arroyo Santa Maria. I continued hiking, with a big smile on my face!

Looking back to the southeast. This was the Baja Highway, before automobiles.

This is where I turned back. The temptation to continue was high, but Chris was waiting for me back at the truck. In fact, the trail ahead gets much rougher and would require better preparation and at least one overnight, for the round trip.

The following year, my son and I returned to hike to the mission. We didn't start early enough and late November days are short, so we ran out of daylight.

2003:

Chris was motivated to get to the mission, but the trail disappeared on us here.
We had just enough daylight to get back to my truck, so it was time to turn back. We really didn't want to.

*We would learn from Don Jorge (who followed our lead a week later and made it to the mission) that every place the trail vanished, it could be found by going uphill (northward) and towards the west.

From 2003:

GPS Directions (map datum NAD27 Mexico)

Take Hwy. 5 south 7.4 miles from Rancho Grande, turn west: 29°41.094'/ 114°24.566'

3.2 miles west of Hwy. 5, go straight where most traffic curves left for Las Palmitas: 29°41.278'/ 114°27.639'

0.8 miles from above, park at huge boulder: 29°41.68'/ 114°28.20'

Hike to north bank of Arroyo Santa Maria to: 29°41.733'/ 114°28.175' elev. 609' (ECR-1)

Go northwest and climb out of valley, note ocotillos.

Along left side of side valley: 29°42.374'/ 114°28.566' elev. 741' (ECR-2)

On first padre built switchback up: 29°42.669'/ 114°28.937' elev. 906' (ECR-3)

On a ridge, trail continues northwest: 29°42.671'/ 114°29.425' elev. 1308' (ECR-4)

On the Camino Real: 29°42.748'/ 114°29.482' elev. 1391' (ECR-5)

Crossing ridges and little mesas: 29°43.008'/ 114°29.967' elev. 1477' (ECR-6)

Drop along side of ridge, trail narrow: 29°43.074'/ 114°30.128' elev.1610' (ECR-7)

End of today's hike just beyond this last clear sign of the old trail: 29°43.141'/ 114°30.189' elev. 1702' (ECR-8)

Junction of ECR & bulldozed road: 29°43.126'/ 114°31.753' elev.1413'
(End of bulldozed road, on canyon ridge: 29°43.033'/ 114°31.556' elev. 1,615' )

Mision Santa Maria: 29°43.891'/ 114°32.794' elev.1628'

[Edited on 1-30-2018 by David K]

willardguy - 2-2-2018 at 12:29 PM

they sure could have saved themselves a bundle of work and just built the mission at las palmitas, they already have a chapel there!

4x4abc - 2-2-2018 at 12:34 PM

I always loved that painted rock

Riding El Camino Real on a motorcycle, east from Mission Santa María:

David K - 7-9-2020 at 10:20 AM

here is your rumor:

bajaric - 7-10-2020 at 11:28 AM

Great thread! Some expert moto riding for sure in the (long) video.

I can clearly see the old trail in the moto video, at least parts of it. Since Mission Sta. Maria was abandoned in only a year or two, they must have never really finished the trail. Very rocky country. Hiking overland in that terrain is very tedious. This trail was a briefly used shortcut from El Camino Real in the high country down to the landing at Gonazaga. After the trail was abandoned, the much better trail down Calamajue Arroyo continued to be used, and has been to this day --

I think Ken C. was joking when he said someone towed a trailer down the canyon.

David K - 7-10-2020 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Great thread! Some expert moto riding for sure in the (long) video.

I can clearly see the old trail in the moto video, at least parts of it. Since Mission Sta. Maria was abandoned in only a year or two, they must have never really finished the trail. Very rocky country. Hiking overland in that terrain is very tedious. This trail was a briefly used shortcut from El Camino Real in the high country down to the landing at Gonazaga. After the trail was abandoned, the much better trail down Calamajue Arroyo continued to be used, and has been to this day --

I think Ken C. was joking when he said someone towed a trailer down the canyon.

Hi Ric,
This is fun stuff for me, as it is both my favorite parts of historical Baja and I have hiked on some of the mission road in the area.

The mission of Santa María was active from 1767 (after moving from Calamajué) into 1774 (the final census at Santa María).
However, El Camino Real (Baja's first transpeninsular highway) still passed through that valley with the mission until automobiles appeared and mandated a road in a less difficult route than the mission trail.

The Franciscans and Dominicans never built roads in the same fashion as the Jesuits had. They were inclined to just go with the natural terrain and only did roadbuilding where it was absolutely necessary. The Jesuits engineered their road in straight lines with switchbacks when the terrain mandated it. That is why the Jesuit Camino Real is so easy to spot on Google Earth to this day.

The post-Jesuit Camino Real was nothing more than a cattle trail in size, with a few exceptions. The trail from San Borja north was opened just over a year before the Jesuits were removed, so you don't see much of the beautiful road work north of San Borja as there wasn't enough time.

The trail the motorcycles are on was made by the Franciscans after Junípero Serra ordered a better road (than the one he traveled in the canyon) be made. Serra also ordered to be created, the cargo trail or as he called it, the Antelope Spring trail to Gonzaga Bay. This was for the construction of San Fernando mission and more direct communication to the new missions beyond Santa María. That trail bypasses Santa María, to the north and joins El Camino Real just east of the peninsular divide (about 4 miles from the mission, towards Santa Ynez). Ships from Loreto or the mainland offloaded supplies at Gonzaga Bay, where the warehouse was (foundation outlines still visible), destined for San Fernando and beyond. The cargo trail can be seen in person as you drive towards Santa María, near where it ends below the high point.

The Camino Real has always used Calamajué Canyon since it reached that far north in October 1766.

You can enjoy the great work done at spotting the Camino Real (and Cargo Trail to Gonzaga Bay's warehouse) at www.caminorealbaja.com using Google Earth.

[Edited on 7-10-2020 by David K]

bajaric - 7-12-2020 at 06:52 AM

Interesting! Somehow I thought that main El Camino Real ran through the high country near present day Hwy 1 by Catavina, with a branch that dropped down to Gonzaga and back up to Sta Maria. Wrong again.

I realize now that overgrown goat track alongside Arroyo Sta. Maria was "the" El Camino Real, between San Borja and San Fernando. The trail was actually east of Santa Ynez, from the info on the ECR link you posted. Hard to imagine they got much cargo up that to supply the northern missions, I think they were also supplied by sea on the Pacific side. I believe they landed supplies at San Diego, and possibly at other Padre Ports further south.

David K - 7-12-2020 at 07:51 AM

Yes, they did ship supplies by boat to San Diego. However, going against the current northward was not as fast or easy as sailing to Gonzaga Bay and then loading burros or mules for the 3-day trip to San Fernando and beyond. The warehouse at Gonzaga and the Camino Real was probably used a lot more by the Dominicans and the Spanish for their northern Baja activities.

Perhaps easier to view on this page than the www.caminorealbaja.com map is the Howard Gulick ECR map of this area... It is what Harry Crosby used initially...

Full size version on my website, here: http://www.vivabaja.com/ECR/elcaminoreal3.html

The only difference between what Howard saw as ECR and what the Canadian couple found is between Calamajué and San Francisquito (by Las Arrastras). It may very likely be two routes of ECR that parallel each other.

From Harry Crosby's 1974 book, The King's Highway in Baja California:

Here are the maps of the area, that Harry Crosby commissioned, in 1977...

bajaric - 7-12-2020 at 08:07 AM

I learn something every day. Pretty scarce in the way of grass for animals around those parts, although burros and mules could be fed on the green shoots of shrubs, offering an advantage over horses. Even today, "grass fed" beef in some parts of Baja is actually "shrub fed". The climate may have also been a little cooler and wetter in those days.

Also, I think that part of the trail that went past mission Sta Maria was abandoned prior to the advent of the automobile. In 1905 Nelson described riding past Cerro Pedregroso, near present day Hwy. 1, then down to the historic San Francisquito well at Las Arrastras, staying to the west of and bypassing mission Sta Maria, as best as I can determine.

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by bajaric]

David K - 7-12-2020 at 04:00 PM

Hi Ric,
On my website, I have a zoomable map of the Nelson expedition: https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agdm/id/3...

It isn't super accurate, but gives some idea of his route and the mission sites (Santa María and Calamajué). The dashed line would seem to be El Camino Real, except that it is shown going from Santa María to Onyx (an early name for El Mármol). The ECR went from Santa María to Agua Dulce.

Nelson's route is highlighted on this 1919 map:

Nelson Sta Maria.jpg - 327kB

bajaric - 7-13-2020 at 07:46 AM

Hi DK, I had to crack open my copy of Nelson's Lower California, Natural Resources, to see if I could figure out the route they took, from near Pedregroso, across the divide and down to the historic San Francisquito well in 1905.

"About 4 miles beyond Cerro Pedregoso (going south) ... at this point a dim trail branched off to left (east) .. and we followed it about 8 miles to the crest of the slope, at an elevation of 2,800 feet forms the peninsular divide From the top of the divide an abrupt descent leads to a lower plain extending to the shore of the gulf, which was in plain view....

"A good trail leads from the divide down the east slope to a small, strongly mineralized stream flowing through a series of pools in the smooth rock bottom of a broad canyon. Thence the canyon narrowed and leaving it crossed some low hills ..we reached the San Francisquito wash. Here a well, some old arrastras, and many other signs marked the long deserted mining camp of San Francisquito"

I figured out it must have been where you and "Baja Angel" were, here:

http://www.vivabaja.com/207/

It was Arroyo Turquesa, scene of many a nomad adventure! By 1905, mining activities in the area were probably responsible for the creation of this trail, which bypassed the old El Camino Real that went from Mssion Sta Maria down Arroyo Santa Maria to the San Francisquito well, probably because it was an easier route for those arriving from the north.

thus ends my deep dive into Baja historic trivia, for now....
thanks for helping me to correct a couple of errors in my research.

[Edited on 7-13-2020 by bajaric]

David K - 7-13-2020 at 08:56 AM

Good morning, Ric!
Yes, it is pretty obvious that they came down into La Turquesa Canyon! Our Nomad hero, Roy "The Squarecircle" being the first documented ascent of that grade in a Land Rover LR3! Witnessed by Tom, TW (TMW) and his brother, Bill.

Once Elizabeth (aka 'Baja Angel') and I photographed the top of the grade, east of El Pedregoso, there was great interest in getting a four-wheeled-vehicle across from Hwy. 1 to Hwy. 5, there. Ken Cooke attempted with one of his Jeep groups, but it was Roy and Tom who found a way from the end of the road at the turquoise mine to the bottom of the switchback grade up to the top.

Roy and Blanche slowly climbed to the top and out to Hwy. 1 while TW and Bill drove around via the 'normal' route.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30726

In Feb 2011, TW found a pair of videos so we can see the grade (going down) and the bottom of the grade to the pools:

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I found these videos on YouTube. The first one ends at the bottom of the hill leading down into the wash. That hill is the one the Squarcircle had to make several attempts at before getting up in his SUV. The second video picks up where the first left off and ends at the pools east of the mine. The video is pretty shakey at times indicating the roughness of the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5pfH3SQR1k&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-m6rdWv2do&feature=relat...

From 2008:

scan0001r.JPG - 34kB scan0002r.JPG - 35kB scan0003r.JPG - 42kB

scan0006r.JPG - 35kB

scan0007r.JPG - 39kB

scan0004r.JPG - 35kB

rich t - 7-17-2020 at 02:52 PM

I just read Kens article about us making it from hwy 1 to hwy 5, we did not go all the way thru, we found the old camino and made it to the top where you could overlook and see Gonzaga, there is no way to drive a vehicle past where we were. I did talk to Malchom Smith several years ago about it, he said he could not ride it but his son made it on a moto, claims it is easier going from Gonzaga to the mission going up hill. We did have to fill in one hole about 8 feet deep to get up there, I think that is where my friend lost his wallet.

Ken Cooke - 7-17-2020 at 11:21 PM

Here are a few videos from our Feb 2019 trip along the Pioneer Trail. I was either speaking to David (on front of me) or with Ru KinKon (over the radio).

Broken down, waiting for Triple A - Mr. Rich T.

Ken Cooke - 7-18-2020 at 12:15 AM

rich t - 7-18-2020 at 05:20 AM

New mounts, now Baja bullet proof.

Ken Cooke - 7-18-2020 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
New mounts, now Baja bullet proof.

I believe it. Are you running a jounce shock in conjunction as well, Rich?

rich t - 7-18-2020 at 08:44 PM

No, just Fox resevoir, I had just picked that Jeep up not long before the Pole Line trip and did not have very good mounts for the shocks, built new mounts and recessed the upper shock tower in the frame.

MC video Santa Maria to Gonzaga

K7BVT - 11-12-2020 at 11:28 PM

Anyone know where to find the you tube video of the guys that rode bikes out of Santa Maria to Gonzaga? ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EL-eg5C4Uk

David K - 11-13-2020 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by K7BVT  
Anyone know where to find the you tube video of the guys that rode bikes out of Santa Maria to Gonzaga? ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EL-eg5C4Uk

Sadly, that video is no longer available... too bad! It showed how crazy it was to ride a motorcycle on El Camino Real from the Mission Santa María valley down to the desert by Gonzaga Bay:

On this map from 4x4abc, note the white line showing the post-1769 El Camino Real and is what the motorcycles used. The yellow line shows part of the 1767-1769 route (which used the canyon then up to the east end of the yellow line):

[Edited on 11-13-2020 by David K]

PaulW - 11-13-2020 at 10:17 AM

Lots of discussion on the Pioneer Mine trail. I collected various tracks I made in that general area for you all to view.
Note that both tracks are shown near the mines. The western loop has driving issues but can be negotiated with a little discovery and spotting. All the other tracks can be driven with a lifted 4x4 and for certainly with a trail bike.
The trail is one of the more difficult trails that many of us have driven in Baja.

I cannot post the KML or GPX (GPS) files as they are to big

4x4abc - 11-14-2020 at 08:12 PM

save the kml as kmz and you can post it

4x4abc - 11-14-2020 at 08:16 PM

here is the pioneer trail

pioneer.jpg - 239kB

TMW - 11-16-2020 at 12:05 AM

Is somebody going to do the pioneer trail soon? I'm game.

David K - 11-16-2020 at 08:38 AM

Harald, is the black line a drivable route or just a foot trail?
I always found it interesting that the early government roadbuilders going south from Gonzaga went into a canyon with seemingly no exit, back in the late 1950s...

1962 map.jpg - 47kB

PaulW - 11-16-2020 at 11:08 AM

save the kml as kmz and you can post it

=== =
Don't know how.
That kml is a composite of 6 merged tracks I only know how to save each file alone.

PaulW - 11-16-2020 at 11:21 AM

I always found it interesting that the early government roadbuilders going south from Gonzaga went into a canyon with seemingly no exit, back in the late 1950s...
===v==
I drove that straight road heading north from the Pioneer track. It was made by a grader and is in good condition, but crosses a couple of washes that requires slowing down. At the north end it comes to the Rancho Grande property cross fence and a left turn takes one to Hwy 5. Kinda steep up to the pavement.

David K - 11-16-2020 at 11:27 AM

===v==
I drove that straight road heading north from the Pioneer track. It was made by a grader and is in good condition, but crosses a couple of washes that requires slowing down. At the north end it comes to the Rancho Grande property cross fence and a left turn takes one to Hwy 5. Kinda steep up to the pavement.

Yes, the straight road from the Rancho Grande runway south is the original road made about 1959. My question was about Harald's black line from the south end where the Gulick map shows it ends and over the mountain to the road network closer to Coco's Corner.

A 1960 map by Howard Gulick:

[Edited on 11-16-2020 by David K]

David K - 2-25-2021 at 11:59 AM

Bump for steekers

ehall - 2-25-2021 at 12:34 PM

I ran both the widow maker Santa Maria trail and the road between Mikes and coyote in the last 2 months. . Mikes to coyote is a lot tougher than the other one. Non stop rocks for 10 miles now.

steekers - 2-25-2021 at 12:39 PM

I ran both the widow maker Santa Maria trail and the road between Mikes and coyote in the last 2 months. . Mikes to coyote is a lot tougher than the other one. Non stop rocks for 10 miles now.

Looking for that video that disappeared of the moto riders that went down the ECR from the mission. Who were the riders?

[Edited on 2-25-2021 by steekers]

ehall - 2-25-2021 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by steekers  

Looking for that video that disappeared of the moto riders that went down the ECR from the mission. Who were the riders?

[Edited on 2-25-2021 by steekers]

Never saw the video.

David K - 2-25-2021 at 01:57 PM

great video!

The video was called Mission Trail on You Tube. It was disappointing when it was taken down.

Fargoin - 3-8-2022 at 04:20 PM

Heading down to the area this week and I was doing some recon of some trails we want to ride and found this. Not sure if it is the same as the original video but it is Cargo Connection.

https://youtu.be/XMMSDwgDSx4

[Edited on 3-8-2022 by Fargoin]

David K - 3-8-2022 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fargoin  
Heading down to the area this week and I was doing some recon of some trails we want to ride and found this. Not sure if it is the same as the original video but it is Cargo Connection.

https://youtu.be/XMMSDwgDSx4

[Edited on 3-8-2022 by Fargoin]

Wicked rough and rocky for motorbikes!

Since the video doesn't show all of it (the beginning or end), it is hard to tell. The Cargo Trail (aka Antelope Spring Trail) was commissioned by Franciscan President (and now Saint) Junípero Serra, in May 1769 when he traveled overland from Loreto to San Diego. We also called it 'Serra's Cargo Trail'... It is included on the Benchmark Baja Atlas, as a branch of El Camino Real.

Serra knew that a shorter supply line from Loreto to his new missions was important. This 'Cargo' trail leads from Bahía San Luis Gonzaga to the El Camino Real, northwest of Mission Santa María... to supply the next missions beyond Santa María. The missionaries had a warehouse built on the shore of Gonzaga Bay. The outline of it is still visible. Dr. Eric Ritter did a dig there and wrote a paper on it. The Cargo Trail begins there and goes west.

The only Baja Nomad I know who has traveled the entire Cargo Trail (by mule) is Baja Bucko. I will send her this link... and hopefully she will recognize the parts shown???!!!

Oh, and no, it isn't the same trail as the other video had shown. That was the El Camino Real, east of Mission Santa María... but about as difficult looking!

[Edited on 3-9-2022 by David K]