BajaNomad

Mexicali 1 or Mexicali 2

John M - 3-28-2016 at 08:51 PM

I'm intending on trying the on-line tourist visa and when I got to the part that asks for the point of entry it lists Mexicali 1 and the other option is Mexicali 2

I assume the old (west) crossing would be #1 and east crossing #2

Anyone else here dealt with that? Don't suppose it matters too much but I'd hate to get sent back over a minor issue (minor to us).

John M

rts551 - 3-28-2016 at 09:10 PM

Don't need a tourist visa, but I do know that Mexicali 1 is the downtown crossing, and Mexicali 2 is the East crossing.

MICK - 3-29-2016 at 07:06 AM

What makes you think he doesn't need a visa? Three times in the last year the Mexican border agents have made people coming to visit me get a visa to cross into Mexico. They got a 7 day for free but had to go thru that process. That said I have crossed both mex1-2 at least 20 times in the last year and never been asked.
Who knows the minds of the Mexicans. I think it depends on the day.
John M better safe than sorry. Without it you might be able to talk your way in
Rts551 is right about the borders and I doubt it would matter.
Have fun
Mick

rts551 - 3-29-2016 at 07:09 AM

To Clarify. I don't need a tourist visa!

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
What makes you think he doesn't need a visa? Three times in the last year the Mexican border agents have made people coming to visit me get a visa to cross into Mexico. They got a 7 day for free but had to go thru that process. That said I have crossed both mex1-2 at least 20 times in the last year and never been asked.
Who knows the minds of the Mexicans. I think it depends on the day.
John M better safe than sorry. Without it you might be able to talk your way in
Rts551 is right about the borders and I doubt it would matter.
Have fun
Mick

Thanks Mick

John M - 3-29-2016 at 02:00 PM

And Mick, did you get that transmission replaced or repaired after the Pole Line adventure last year?

We'll wave as we go by, heading souh!

John M

TMW - 3-29-2016 at 07:30 PM

Don't wave, stop and get a cold one Mick don't mind if he's home.

MICK - 3-29-2016 at 08:02 PM

John. 3000 pesos new tranny and working great. Tw's right stop and have a cold one. When are you headed down.

Gulliver - 3-29-2016 at 08:17 PM

I think things are going to get more confused unless there is a bit of clarification. You may know what you are talking about but some future reader of this post may not.

Yes, there is such a thing as a Mexican Visa. No, you don't need to get one unless you are going to stay in Mexico for more than 180 days.

READ ON PLEASE!!!!

I believe what is being discussed here is the FMM, known informally as a 'tourist card'.

I is free if you are going to be in Mexico for seven days or less. It is less than thirty dollars if you are staying up to 180 days. The paperwork is about the same.

Given the almighty hassle you can get into if you get into even a fender bender without it, it is folly to save a stinking $30 or less. If you can't afford it then you should stay home.

The Mexican pay for one going North. Why should we weasel on it going South?

Pacifico - 3-30-2016 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  

The Mexican pay for one going North. Why should we weasel on it going South?

I am curious about this and have never heard of this...How much do they pay and is the process similar?

Gulliver - 3-30-2016 at 08:49 AM

Read it and weep.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/fees-visa-serv...

Pacifico - 3-30-2016 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Read it and weep.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/fees-visa-serv...

Interesting... I had no idea that Mexican tourists paid so much coming north. I guess we are getting a good deal for a FMM at $25!

rts551 - 3-30-2016 at 07:25 PM

And just think. These are just application fees. Many are denied because they are not absolutely sure you will return to Mexico...and the fee is non refundable.

bajabuddha - 3-30-2016 at 07:36 PM

Folks have NO IDEA what a Mexican national has to go through to come to the USA, even for a short 'vacation'..... when we quibble about a measly -$30 to commune for half a year. But we're not 'rapists and drug dealers and murderers', are we? Dichotomy, no?

Had a talk with my friend Tavo in San Lucas about 5 years ago..... he told me that he needed TWO different passports; one for the world, the other for the USA. The second cost a lot of pesos, and it wasn't easy to get. I felt ashamed... my invitation to him; mi casa, sú casa, wish he could come visit any time. For me, just gas money and chump-change to go south. To him, hoops, roll-over, sit, fetch, paperwork up the ying-yang, be a good boy-foreigner, oh and mordida... and then wait.... and wait.... we have bureaucracy?

Mick - dates

John M - 3-31-2016 at 01:46 PM

Mick - the trip started initially on the 2nd of April - then moved until the 12th - now due to Tom's (TW) jury service it may get delayed for yet another few days.

I've got the route in - and I'll make time to stop awhile.

There is some chance that I'll go through Ensenada, Highway 3 - to S.F.

John M

MICK - 4-1-2016 at 07:38 AM

John, great let me know what's up. I will be gone the 6-8 of April.
Have a great time
Mick