BajaNomad

USB internet access

bajasusan/a - 3-29-2016 at 07:57 AM

I am sure this subject has been raised before, but the technology situation in the Baja changes rapidly, so...
Is there any such thing as USBstick internet access that will work outside metro areas in the Baja? if yes, does it cost piles o' pesos?

Bob and jane - 3-29-2016 at 07:58 AM

Banda ancha is cheap, works wherever you can get cell coverage, and is available at most Telcel stores.

bajasusan/a - 3-29-2016 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and jane  
Banda ancha is cheap, works wherever you can get cell coverage, and is available at most Telcel stores.

If it is this simple I am going to find you folks and buy you all the cerveza/coca lite you can drink!

Howard - 3-29-2016 at 08:24 AM

If I happen to agree with Bob and Jane is your offer good for me as well? :biggrin:

bajasusan/a - 3-29-2016 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
If I happen to agree with Bob and Jane is your offer good for me as well? :biggrin:

That may be a moot point, since I realized I left out a major factor--I am totally dependent on streaming stuff from youtube! so even tho I can get cell coverage here in Bahia Asuncion and thus use usb-based internet, I may not be able to get the speed at a cost I can manage. I am trying to use my laptop cuz my eyes are at least as old as the rest of me and don't handle a phone screen well, but I may have to buy a phone hella smarter than I am.to get what I am looking for?

Howard - 3-29-2016 at 08:51 AM

I knew that offer was to good to be true!

Good luck with your situation we've all gone through it at one time or another.

monoloco - 3-29-2016 at 08:51 AM

Tell offers a plan that gives you 5gb of data and unlimited calls to the US and Canada for 599 pesos a month. You can use your phone as an internet hotspot.

Rossman - 3-29-2016 at 08:58 AM

Unfortunately you have stumbled on to the truth Susan. The cell service in Asuncion is not of the speed necessary to stream video. Vizcaino yes. Guerrero Negro yes. but not Asuncion. Having been in the networking//cell service business i can tell you that it is a fairly easy and inexpensive fix to the poor service in Asuncion but i don;t know what would motivate Telcel to do it.

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  
Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

That may be a moot point, since I realized I left out a major factor--I am totally dependent on streaming stuff from youtube! so even tho I can get cell coverage here in Bahia Asuncion and thus use usb-based internet, I may not be able to get the speed at a cost I can manage. I am trying to use my laptop cuz my eyes are at least as old as the rest of me and don't handle a phone screen well, but I may have to buy a phone hella smarter than I am.to get what I am looking for?

ncampion - 3-29-2016 at 09:23 AM

Is there not 3G cell service in Asuncion? That is what Banda Ancha uses. It is fast enough for YouTube in Loreto, but if no 3G service, then it may not be an option.

Rossman - 3-29-2016 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Is there not 3G cell service in Asuncion? That is what Banda Ancha uses. It is fast enough for YouTube in Loreto, but if no 3G service, then it may not be an option.

In the best of times it is 2g service. 3 am to 7 am. Even during that time it is inconsistent speeds.

bajasusan/a - 3-29-2016 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Unfortunately you have stumbled on to the truth Susan.

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  

DRAT! but I was prepared, kinda, cuz it only makes sense if there were a good option here people would be using it already!
oh well, I just have to adjust my lifestyle, since "you can't muscle mexico"

also, mr. twain/Clemens said "most people stumble across the truth at some point in life...and most people pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and go on as if nothing had happened."

rts551 - 3-29-2016 at 01:32 PM

Same problem in Punta Abreojos. Reason is that the microwave towers, related equipment and their bandwidth that relay the signal from Vizcaino are maxed out. Until fiber is brought out to the coast or a major upgrade is done, the speed sucks.