BajaNomad

Mexicali FMM info needed

Fatboy - 3-29-2016 at 06:36 PM

Hi All,
will be going into Baja via Mexicali and I have never gotten FMM when I have crossed there in the past.

Anyone have directions or tips on how to go about it from either crossing?

Thank You

freediverbrian - 3-29-2016 at 06:46 PM

At Mexicali West it is on left as you inter , usually there are imagration officials showing where to park and holding traffic for you . I have been able to pay at office ,but if not bank is close. I have had good luck and no wait and I have waited an hour and told " you don't need a visa today" too long of line . good luck :rolleyes:

Fatboy - 3-29-2016 at 07:21 PM

Does it matter which lane you are in when you cross the border?

Pacifico - 3-29-2016 at 07:24 PM

Parking can be difficult at Mexicali West... Mexicali East crossing is much better. Do a search on here...there are maps, etc.

David K - 3-29-2016 at 07:33 PM

Last July, Mexicali West, parked right in front, just past the door to INM. It is on the left soon after you pass the red/green light. So cross into Mexico in the left lane.
The officer was very nice and paying him was the way... They have a cash drawer there. However, they may not have a lot of change so use smaller bills. He had to go find change for the bill we used (pesos). Didn't tell us it was a problem but it took him a few minutes longer. We were there 20 minutes and only one other tourist came in for a tourist card in that time... a Brit! It was Saturday morning and all sorts of cars were passing by heading to San Felipe.

Fatboy - 3-29-2016 at 07:38 PM

Thanks, All!

MICK - 3-29-2016 at 08:06 PM

Downtown is now better because at the east border they have closed down the parking so you have to walk a lot farther. I hat e to say it but I agree with David the parking is easy and the agent takes your money so no need to go to the bank.
Mick

yellowklr - 3-29-2016 at 08:28 PM

so are they not offering the free 7 day FMM there ?

David K - 3-29-2016 at 08:30 PM

Of course they are.

Pacifico - 3-30-2016 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
Downtown is now better because at the east border they have closed down the parking so you have to walk a lot farther. I hat e to say it but I agree with David the parking is easy and the agent takes your money so no need to go to the bank.
Mick

You can still access the big parking lot (east crossing)...you just have to drive to the guard shack and turn in there. Although, it is confusing if you don't know. I guess I have just had bad luck at the west crossing, they have always told me to park down the street and walk back.

sancho - 3-30-2016 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
I hat e to say it but I agree with David
Mick

Trying to figure out if that is humor or not? I've got the free
7 day fmm a couple times, the Imm officer made it clear that
I was to return it on the way out. Although I don't think it
matters in the least. Recent reports from San Felipe still
mention returning fmm's. The much reported statement that
returning them is no longer necessary, doesn't seem to have
made it over to Mexicali Imm

MICK - 3-30-2016 at 12:25 PM