BajaNomad

Bancomer

Phil C - 4-1-2016 at 10:02 AM

Can I deposit a U.S. check (Dollars) in my Bancomer peso account?

BajaBlanca - 4-1-2016 at 10:36 AM

Just yesterday I asked about cash in dollars into a peso account, and the answer was YES at bancomer.

I have no idea about a check. Would a US bank accept a Mexican check? I have never heard of that being done.

dtbushpilot - 4-1-2016 at 11:06 AM

I have a Bancomer peso account and deposit US checks (dollars) in it. They give me whatever the daily exchange rate is in pesos. It takes a week or so before the check clears and you can access the funds.

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by dtbushpilot]

Phil C - 4-1-2016 at 11:27 AM

Thank you both for your response. Looks like it's doable.

BajaUtah - 4-1-2016 at 12:11 PM

Just to pile on - my answer is yes. I've done it multiple times at the Bancomer in Los Barriles. My experience has been about a 10 day lag before the check clears back in the US.

Be aware that any excuse to not accept the check is used by the bank. I have pretty sloppy handwriting and a check I tried to deposit was rejected because my handwritten dollar amount and the numerical value was not exactly inside the designated area. I had to tear up the check and write a new one. In the US it would never be an issue.

shari - 4-1-2016 at 04:59 PM

You are allowed to deposit $2,000 a month into a Bancomer account whether it be pesos or dollars.

Phil C - 4-2-2016 at 09:27 AM

Thanks Shari, that's helpful.

Pescador - 4-2-2016 at 04:59 PM

Shari, they tell me in Santa Rosalia that the new limit is $4,000 or actually $3999. So you might want to check the new limits on your deposits. They used to accept over $500 but they added that stupid tax on everything, but now that has been taken off. Guess they figured us old guys were not laundering any money after all.