BajaNomad

Adding topo lines to Google Earth images of Baja?

DosMars - 4-1-2016 at 11:37 PM

Does anyone know of a way to add topo lines to google-earth images of Baja? Ideally at 1000' to 1500' elevation steps? Any other avenues for creating a map of the peninsula with topo lines at this resolution?

[Edited on 4-2-2016 by DosMars]

David K - 4-2-2016 at 06:39 AM

The DeLorme InReach maps convert from satellite to topo... Very very nice maps. I will try and post a sample or a link if nobody else beats me to it.

DosMars - 4-2-2016 at 07:05 AM

Thanks David, will the DeLorme software let you overlay or highlight selected topo lines?

David K - 4-2-2016 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DosMars  
Thanks David, will the DeLorme software let you overlay or highlight selected topo lines?

I hope somebody can answer this... I don't have one, but several Nomads send me their locations on their trips. The DeLoreme In Reach maps are most enjoyable to view and switch from Satellite (Aerial) to Topo.
Here is a sample, at Puertecitos:

Puertecitos GoogleEarth.jpg - 192kB Puertecitos Topo.jpg - 172kB

SFandH - 4-2-2016 at 08:31 AM

Google maps has elevation contour lines. You need to set the "terrain" option.

Doesn't Google Earth have the option?

Here's San Pedro Martir National Park

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sierra+de+San+Pedro+Martir...

David K - 4-2-2016 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Google maps has elevation contour lines. You need to set the "terrain" option.

Doesn't Google Earth have the option?

Here's San Pedro Martir National Park

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sierra+de+San+Pedro+Martir...

Sadly, the GoogleMaps topos are not nearly as usable, IMO...

Puertecitos GoogleMaps.jpg - 144kB

mtgoat666 - 4-2-2016 at 09:05 AM

Does anyone know of a way to add topo lines to google-earth images of Baja? Ideally at 1000' to 1500' elevation steps? Any other avenues for creating a map of the peninsula with topo lines at this resolution?

1000 or 1500 ft contour interval won't show you squat.

I suspect you want a CI of 100 or less.

You can use the freebies, like google maps terrain, or pay a little for delorme or garmin or one of the GPS wallahs.

You might try freebie version of esri arcgis, but that will be steep learning curve.

You might try google maps pro version, but you gots to pay for that.

DosMars - 4-2-2016 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

1000 or 1500 ft contour interval won't show you squat.

I suspect you want a CI of 100 or less.

You can use the freebies, like google maps terrain, or pay a little for delorme or garmin or one of the GPS wallahs.

You might try freebie version of esri arcgis, but that will be steep learning curve.

You might try google maps pro version, but you gots to pay for that.

It's actually for a project I'm working on. I'm going to build an icebox with an inner, water tight box, three inches of foam insulation and a wooden box outer casing. I want to inlay a map of the peninsula and figured an interesting puzzle-piece way to do it would be to inlay contour lines in from the coast. To keep it simple, I figured 8 or so contour lines would cover from sea level to the San Pedro Matir range. It absolutely doesn't need to follow exact contour lines, but I figure if I can print it out with 1000'-1500' intervals I can smooth it out freehand and still give the overall feel of a topo map.

DENNIS - 4-2-2016 at 01:28 PM

Perhaps draw them with Corel, or by hand, since scientific accuracy isn't required?
Just wonderin'.

PaulW - 4-2-2016 at 04:35 PM

= = =
Of course its pretty hard to view the whole peninsula with one screen shot,, bur surely you coud do a favorite place image.
Type the following into your search bar and get all kinds of choices on how to do that task.
"adding topo lines to google earth" OR
"How to add topo lines to google earth"
Then tell us which method you prefer and how it came out.