BajaNomad

Baja's pronghorn sheep program w/SD zoo

Whale-ista - 4-2-2016 at 07:11 AM

cuteness alert! video of baby pronghorn sheep in Baja CA Sur.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/video/play/80155/

(Shari Bondy- reminded me of our talk while driving to your house last year)

bajaguy - 4-2-2016 at 07:21 AM

Methinks those are Antelope, not sheep

Video of endangered baby antelopes hand raised in Baja

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/pronghorn.htm

[Edited on 4-2-2016 by bajaguy]

Bwana_John - 4-2-2016 at 08:29 AM

Quote:

Methinks those are Antelope, not sheep

Just "Pronghorn" is a more correct term, no real antelope in North America. (Antilocapra americana peninsularis for the subspecies we are talking about here)

Also incorrectly called "speed goats"

[Edited on 4-2-2016 by Bwana_John]

shari - 4-2-2016 at 11:06 AM

Probably good to have back up genes available. I had the pleasure of being involved with the initial project to try to salvage the Peninsular Pronghorns here in our area and got to hand feed the first 6 babies that started it off and take them for desert walks to introduce them to their native food.

You can visit one of the rearing areas that is close to GN...there is an interpretive center and a naturalist tells you about the animals and lets you feed them too. It is located just north of the airport road and on the opposite side of the highway...you can see their viewing platform from the highway...its very close to the road and worth a visit.

Whale-ista - 4-2-2016 at 03:44 PM

sheeps and goats and antelopes, pronghorns and bighorns... I likes 'em all. #citygirl

bajaguy - 4-2-2016 at 03:59 PM

Better BBQ'd

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
sheeps and goats and antelopes, pronghorns and bighorns... I likes 'em all. #citygirl

DianaT - 4-2-2016 at 08:38 PM

The involvement of different zoos and other animal organizations in the USA with the pronghorn has been good, and has produced some interesting stories.

When the preserve off of the road into Bahia Asuncion was still in operation, the LA Zoo and others were involved with genetic testing. It was a good thing, but it was also difficult to watch new babies immediately taken from their mothers in order to encourage the mother to mate again right away. I love the pictures we have of the new born babies, but even our friend said it was difficult as we all anthropomorphized the experience. They were trying to increase the numbers with selective breeding.

But then there is the time the LA Zoo sponsored some of the Preserve Reps involved with the pronghorn to visit the US. First of all, they were pulled into secondary and not treated so well by the US Customs. In fact, innocently, one of them stepped on a red line and the agents pulled their guns. It all worked out, however, as then the Zoo people showed them the best of US culture with taking them to dinner at Hooters. We had fun with that one with one of their wives.

Then one group came down and brought lots of eye antibiotics for the pronghorns as they do have problems. But since money is always an issue, after they left, they went back to using rags soaked in chamomile tea, which by the way, we learned worked for our dogs.

Then there was the group from the states that offered to take a couple of the reps on a fly over to count the pronghorn in the wild and the escapees. The only problem was that they decided where exactly to do the fly over and did not consult the reps first; they thought they knew best where to look. Well, they found very few pronghorn; they should have consulted with the local agents who knew where it was best to look.

All of the help is appreciated and often a very good thing, but sometimes it falls into that we know best thing and causes one to shake their heads. Some ex-pats have also shown such disrespect for the locals that they have been asked to not return.

It is all a lesson on the good things that can be accomplished across borders as long as all are respected.

BTW --- if anyone sees a tagged pronghorn on the roads in that area, be very careful as they are not fearful. They associate humans and pick-up trucks with the food delivered to the on the preserve.

[Edited on 4-3-2016 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca - 4-2-2016 at 08:54 PM

we went to the preserve years ago -so interesting!

CAUTION ANIMAL LOVERS; DO NOT READ THIS!

durrelllrobert - 4-3-2016 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Better BBQ'd

Yep, you're right Terry. Years ago I went Walleye fishing at my uncle's place on Semonoe lake in Wyoming and after we got back to his place we were all busy cleaning fish for dinner on his porch. Suddenly my uncle yelled at me to grab the rifle setting on the porch and when I asked why he said the Pronghorns are comming down to water and you need to shoot one. So i did and the next night we had B'BQed Pronghorn along with Walleye for our dinner.