BajaNomad

Most affordable auto insurance ?

Aldervale - 4-2-2016 at 06:56 PM

Without question our greatest expense for about one month SOB was auto insurance....any ideas or comments for finding a less expensive option?

We got a six month policy....no complaint except the bill !

Many thanks

Aldervale

AKgringo - 4-2-2016 at 07:51 PM

I drive a low value vehicle, so I carry liability only. I found that the price of an annual policy was actually less than it would be for a three week policy.

So I made two trips for much less than than if I had purchased two short term policies.

TecateRay - 4-2-2016 at 10:49 PM

Affordable is a multipart answer. Cheapest policy cost or can you afford to lose your vehicle when an inexpensive policy won't pay off after an accident?

bajaguy - 4-3-2016 at 05:28 AM

You get what you pay for.

I for one, won't "cheap out" on Mexican auto insurance

Full coverage with legal representation and bail provisions through Bajabound......who will be there when you need them. I know from personal experience. Geoff was one phone call away.

Bob and Susan - 4-3-2016 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Without question our greatest expense for about one month SOB was auto insurance....any ideas or comments for finding a less expensive option?We got a six month policy....no complaint except the bill !Many thanks
Aldervale

do you have an electric car??? think fuel

I agree with bajaguy...

its not about the money...its about who will assist if you get in trouble

bajabound is your BEST choice
they can assist you when "it" happens

these are real people that travel baja today

bajatrailrider - 4-3-2016 at 09:37 AM

Last truck I had insured Bernie's Mexican Ins. By the year was $250 full coverage. That was back in July 2014. Is the Ins good,yes they Pd out 10 grand U.S

willardguy - 4-3-2016 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Last truck I had insured Bernie's Mexican Ins. By the year was $250 full coverage. That was back in July 2014. Is the Ins good,yes they Pd out 10 grand U.S

good tip, im about up for renewal and gonna use Bernies also, I get my short term u.s. ins thru them.....nice folks!

TMW - 4-3-2016 at 10:50 AM

Regardless where you get the insurance, make sure you can get your vehicle fixed in the US if that is where you live and at a place of your choosing.

I speak from experience.

Cancamo - 4-3-2016 at 11:44 AM

HDI Seguros- (800) 470-9900
Driver's License Annual Policy
Two drivers, $203 a year.
Liability only.
Single limit $80,000
Legal Aid & Bailbond Covered
Excess Liability $150,000

Works for me and my partner, covers anything I drive anywhere within the Republic year-round. One of the largest Insurers in Mexico.
Possibly another option for you.
Don't believe in comprehensive, I'll fix it myself, out of pocket if needed.

sancho - 4-3-2016 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Regardless where you get the insurance, make sure you can get your vehicle fixed in the US if that is where you live and at a place of your choosing.

Was digging for some info recently, was informed one of
the more used Mex Ins Co's, while saying will repair
vehicle in the US, there was a labor hr. $ cap which, without
checking the US repair, was obviously WAY below US hr., like
less than 1/2 the US
rate, so do some asking. The combined single amount
I always go $300,000, you can buy policies with csl as low
as $50,000, not for me

rts551 - 4-3-2016 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

good tip, im about up for renewal and gonna use Bernies also, I get my short term u.s. ins thru them.....nice folks!

I have not found a web site you can sign up on for bernies. only phone and address.

sancho - 4-3-2016 at 04:23 PM

You got me curious, here's some info:
http://berniesinsurance.com/
looks like they are in Rosarito, my screen shows a red square
for info

BornFisher - 4-3-2016 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Bernie`s are good people but check your coverage. When I checked I was surprised the insurance covered only down to San Quentin and only over to San Felipe. Luckily I didn`t find out the hard way!!!

rts551 - 4-3-2016 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
You got me curious, here's some info:
http://berniesinsurance.com/
looks like they are in Rosarito, my screen shows a red square
for info

Yes I got the same thing. but none of those buttons do anything but give you a little info.

bajatrailrider - 4-4-2016 at 09:47 AM

Same here all good exp.with Bernies Ins. Since My new truck Mexican,plated cant get deal on tourist Ins.When I got new truck from Nissan Dealer Baja.They wanted 2,500$ US for Mex Ins to drive it off the lot.Told me there rates competitive with anybody Rip off. Went down the street got it way less then half.

Udo - 4-5-2016 at 07:25 PM

I get my vehicle insurance through Discover Baja, and have for 20+ years.

However...

I can only drive one car at a time ( I have 3), therefore I am going to go with Bajabound driver's lic. insurance policy for liability only. Perhaps with HDI Seguros (whom Cancamo mentioned). I currently have a liability only policy through HDI for all three vehicles. Yes, it has been a little pricey, but I know whom I am dealing with. Bajabound is another one who is very reliable.

J.P. - 4-5-2016 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Was digging for some info recently, was informed one of
the more used Mex Ins Co's, while saying will repair
vehicle in the US, there was a labor hr. $ cap which, without
checking the US repair, was obviously WAY below US hr., like
less than 1/2 the US
rate, so do some asking. The combined single amount
I always go $300,000, you can buy policies with csl as low
as $50,000, not for me

Doesn't make sense to over INSURE they will only pay appraised value.

[Edited on 4-6-2016 by J.P.]

BajaNomad - 4-6-2016 at 04:50 AM

Without question our greatest expense for about one month SOB was auto insurance....any ideas or comments for finding a less expensive option?

One of the most inexpensive options is Pizza Insurance, a term coined by "Oso" in this unforgettable post from May, 2005:

Quote: Originally posted by Oso  
I'm still carrying "Pizza" insurance. I drive a Pizza Chit in Baja and hardly ever bother locking it. Nobody wants it. The mileage sucks, it's old and ugly. But hey, so am I. It needs fixing from time to time (so do I), but there are no computers to freak out shade tree mechanics in San Goloteo de Las nalgas, BCS. The Chevy 350 is known everywhere and chimpanzees can fix it without screwing much up. Parts are available at yonkes up and down the peninsula. It's paid for,I don't need more insurance than liability and if the worst of worst scenarios occurs, I can just walk away from it with no major tragedy in my life.

;D

[Edited on 4-6-2016 by BajaNomad]

sancho - 4-6-2016 at 08:48 AM

While one would be very unlikely to exceed the $50,000-$80,000
csl limits in Baja, may have never happened. It would be unpleasant to cause property damage that exceeds that limit. The increased csl to $300,000
I was referring to, is the amount of liability, I personally like
just in case, not the appraised value of the vehicle. it does cost
more

Udo - 4-6-2016 at 09:15 AM

I like the PIZZA policy...I have two such vehicles, the 66 VW (for sale) and the 2004 Prius with almost 600,000 miles. Then the non-PIZZA vehicle is a 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Alm - 4-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

We got a six month policy....no complaint except the bill !

Subject line reads "Most affordable" and then you ask about "less expensive"?

Most affordable is a liability only. Do you need it, no? Then what are you looking for?

In fact, "most affordable" would be no coverage at all. You are not required under the law to have any Mex coverage. It is recommended to have it, I wouldn't go without it, but you don't have to have it in order to drive there.

Now, "less expensive" would be getting coverage for a shorter term - often, not always. You were there 1 month. When I look at (rather typical) quote structure at Bajabound, 30 days coverage costs a little less then 6 months. Still, - less. 60 days would probably cost same as 6 months.

[Edited on 4-8-2016 by Alm]

sancho - 4-8-2016 at 08:32 AM

On another site, a guy recently crossing into TJ at SY
was secondaried by Mex Customs, the Mex Custom Officer
asked to see the Tourist's Mex Ins policy, when he complied,
was told by the Officer 'get used to it', auto ins is required
in Baja by Mex Plated vehicles as well as Tourists

bajatrailrider - 4-8-2016 at 09:30 AM

In Mexico Ins is required,your 100% right.

Alm - 4-8-2016 at 05:03 PM

In Mexico Ins is required,your 100% right.

The only thing that is 100% sure is that there is a difference between "Mexico" and Baja, when it comes to driving.

In Baja you are required to have "a proof of financial solvency" if and when you get into accident.

From the incident that Sancho reported - it could be that something new is brewing either in actual law... or in its interpretation :)